1st Aussie In The Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
I was watching ESPN earlier, and they made a big deal about this being the first Super Bowl with an Aussie player. The punters for both of the NFC teams are from the AFL, and apparently made quite a name for themselves there (Saverio Rocca and Ben Graham).

To me, this means almost nothing. It's a neat fun fact, but it (the fact) doesn't have anything to do with the game.

How do the Aussie posters feel about this, if anything? Did you even know this?

I don't know much about Ben Graham, but I know a fair bit about Saverio Rocca. Rocca was very successful in the AFL (Australian Football League). He had a awesome long range kick which is basically why he wanted to play American Football. Now, since he left the AFL, I had no idea what he's been doing in America. Rocca's brother called Anthony Rocca still plays in the AFL at a fairly old age, and he's basically a legend over here.

Saverio Rocca is a big guy, but he has an awesome kick, that you'll hopefully see. Good on him for doing something good with his life, and for achieving his goal to play American Football. As for Ben Graham, to be honest I haven't really heard of him before, so chances are he's probably not as good as Rocca. It should be interesting to see what you American's think of the two Aussie players though.

I don't even know how American football is even played properly, but if it involves long kicking, Saverio Rocca is the man for the job.

Reactions: NSL
The super bowl is big right?

Ben Graham was THE MAN when he was in the AFL, he played for the team i support and he could kick 80 metres accuretly. When i found out he was retiring i was devestaded. and when i found out he was retiring to move to the states to play i Lol'd. all this talk about the AFL being soft yet players was moving there to take it easy. :lmao:. I am really glad that Benny Graham made it big in another sport when every one said he would fail. Good on you Benny.

The Super Bowl is the biggest event of the year basically, and definitely the biggest event in pro sports here. It is annually the most watched program on TV here.

Rocca and Graham both play the same position here, and that is Punter. Basically, their job is to kick the ball as far, and as accurately placed as they can get it on the other side of the field (I won't go in to specifics of the job) when their respective team has run out of other offensive options. Rocca is one of the best in the game, and is known for getting in the middle of big plays that punters usually avoid, such as tackling and chasing down bigger, meaner runners. Graham is a lot less known, and is mostly average at it. He is on his third team of the year, but is doing a good enough job to not get noticed.

The popular saying here about Kickers and Punters is, "If they know you're name, chances are you're not doing your job..."

Well like Rusty, I know nothing about Ben Graham. But Saverio Rocca was a great kick. Shame he was in Collingwood though. :p And after reading what a punter is, Sav is definately one of the best men for the job. He can kick the ball far and straight, which is obviously what a punter needs to do. And I had no idea about any of this. I'd say its the case with most Australians as well. The Superbowl would definately be on Pay TV, and it wouldn't cause a major stir at all. There wouldn't be many NFC followers in Australia, so in Australia not many people would know, or care about this.

Well like Rusty, I know nothing about Ben Graham. But Saverio Rocca was a great kick. Shame he was in Collingwood though. :p And after reading what a punter is, Sav is definately one of the best men for the job. He can kick the ball far and straight, which is obviously what a punter needs to do. And I had no idea about any of this. I'd say its the case with most Australians as well. The Superbowl would definately be on Pay TV, and it wouldn't cause a major stir at all. There wouldn't be many NFC followers in Australia, so in Australia not many people would know, or care about this.

This is what I figured.

As an on-topic update, the Arizona Cardinals won, which means Ben Graham will be in the Super Bowl, and Saverio Rocca will be at home watching.

It serves more as a trivia answer than anything. I'm not surprised that (most) people in Australia have no clue, but the way it was made to seem, was that it was the biggest thing ever to Australians.

This is what I figured.

As an on-topic update, the Arizona Cardinals won, which means Ben Graham will be in the Super Bowl, and Saverio Rocca will be at home watching.

It serves more as a trivia answer than anything. I'm not surprised that (most) people in Australia have no clue, but the way it was made to seem, was that it was the biggest thing ever to Australians.

That's what I dislike about the Australian media in general, when an Australian personality makes it anywhere in the world, they go crazy about it, when in all honesty, I doubt many Australians could give a shit about it, really. As Tim said, I don't know of many people here who follow football over there, I did hear about this little trivia fact on Sports Tonight (A sports program here) and I thought "Meh, good for him" but yes Saverio Rocca, from what I've seen of him, will be a great asset to the team he is playing for (Sorry, I can't remember the team).

I'm glad that Australians have been able to make it in American football, but it doesn't affect me in any way, shape or form.

I'm glad that Australians have been able to make it in American football, but it doesn't affect me in any way, shape or form.

The few that have made it, have all made it at the same position (punter).

Mat McBriar plays for the Cowboys, and is one of the best in the league. Rocca plays for the Eagles, and is a great punter, and has a reputation for playing much more hard-nosed than punters are known for. Ben Graham plays for the Cardinals, and to be honest, I had never heard of him before the report on ESPN. Darren Bennett is retired now, but he played for the Chargers, and is probably one of the best punters of all-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back