1999-2000 WWE MVP

The Fabulous Rougeau's

Championship Contender
Right in the middle of the Attitude Era and WWE is now routinely kicking WCW's ass. This year is interesting because Austin and Rock are the two biggest guys around, but because of the circumstances that surround this year I wouldn't give it to either of them. Rock because he spent this year transitioning from heel to face and his character wouldn't hit its stride until the following year, and Austin would go on the shelf at the Survivor Series thus missing the last 4-5 months of the year. So who do I give the MVP to?

Triple H. He begins the year by turning heel and this is where he starts to develop his GAME gimmick. By the time the summer rolls around he has the great "shoot" promo with JR and finds his way in the main event by SummerSlam. From then until Rock really finds his way as a face Trips was the man holding the title for pretty much the time between SummerSlam and WrestleMania minus some sort interruptions.

First off, Austin wasn't written off TV until November 1999. So he only missed one month of 1999. He returned at Unforgiven 2000, which was in September, instantly becoming the top guy again. So he missed 10 months of the two years you're referring to.

With that said, I agree I wouldn't give him the MVP because of the time he missed in 2000. Though, an argument could be made that Austin was still much bigger than both The Rock and Triple H throughout the majority of 1999.

So it has to be one of The Rock or Triple H.

Triple H
- Started 1999 as the leader of D-X
- Joined the Corporation at WrestleMania XV
- Won the WWF Championship at SummerSlam 1999
- Revealed that he and Stephanie were kayfabe married
- Was the Champion or the top heel for the rest of the year
- Excellent feud with Cactus Jack
- Headlined WrestleMania 2000 and was the first heel to leave WM as champion
- One of the best feuds of all time with The Rock
- Was involved in a love triangle with Stephanie and Kurt Angle at SummerSlam 2000
- Was revealed to be the one behind running over Stone Cold Steve Austin

The Rock
- Started 1999 as the Corporate WWF Champion
- One of the best feuds of all time with Mankind
- Headlined WrestleMania XV
- Was kicked out of/left The Corporation and feuded with Triple H, The Undertaker and unfortunately Billy Gunn and British Bulldog
- Became the #1 babyface in the company
- Was part of the wildly popular Rock 'n Sock Connection
- Winner of the 2000 Royal Rumble and had a weak feud with The Big Show
- Headlined WrestleMania 2000
- Excellent feud with Triple H
- Was WWF Champion for 4 months throughout the summer of 2000
- Weak feud with Rikishi to end the year

Might be missing some big moments for both guys, but it's a tough one. I prefer personally Triple H during this period, and I also think he did a lot more and was booked much better. But despite this, The Rock became one of the biggest superstars in the world during this time period. Didn't matter how many times he lost either, or if he was in the middle or the top of the card. It was also what allowed the WWF to stay on top and do huge business even without Austin. So because of that fact alone, I've got to give it to The Rock.

First off, Austin wasn't written off TV until November 1999. So he only missed one month of 1999. He returned at Unforgiven 2000, which was in September, instantly becoming the top guy again. So he missed 10 months of the two years you're referring to.

With that said, I agree I wouldn't give him the MVP because of the time he missed in 2000. Though, an argument could be made that Austin was still much bigger than both The Rock and Triple H throughout the majority of 1999.

So it has to be one of The Rock or Triple H.

Triple H
- Started 1999 as the leader of D-X
- Joined the Corporation at WrestleMania XV
- Won the WWF Championship at SummerSlam 1999
- Revealed that he and Stephanie were kayfabe married
- Was the Champion or the top heel for the rest of the year
- Excellent feud with Cactus Jack
- Headlined WrestleMania 2000 and was the first heel to leave WM as champion
- One of the best feuds of all time with The Rock
- Was involved in a love triangle with Stephanie and Kurt Angle at SummerSlam 2000
- Was revealed to be the one behind running over Stone Cold Steve Austin

The Rock
- Started 1999 as the Corporate WWF Champion
- One of the best feuds of all time with Mankind
- Headlined WrestleMania XV
- Was kicked out of/left The Corporation and feuded with Triple H, The Undertaker and unfortunately Billy Gunn and British Bulldog
- Became the #1 babyface in the company
- Was part of the wildly popular Rock 'n Sock Connection
- Winner of the 2000 Royal Rumble and had a weak feud with The Big Show
- Headlined WrestleMania 2000
- Excellent feud with Triple H
- Was WWF Champion for 4 months throughout the summer of 2000
- Weak feud with Rikishi to end the year

Might be missing some big moments for both guys, but it's a tough one. I prefer personally Triple H during this period, and I also think he did a lot more and was booked much better. But despite this, The Rock became one of the biggest superstars in the world during this time period. Didn't matter how many times he lost either, or if he was in the middle or the top of the card. It was also what allowed the WWF to stay on top and do huge business even without Austin. So because of that fact alone, I've got to give it to The Rock.

1999 was the year of the 2 headed monster, remember that the winner for most big gates in '99 was not Austin, he missed half of the year in the ring. Austin was a much bigger name than HHH in '99 though.

Compare HHH's first 2 title reigns in 1999 w/ his 2 title reigns in 2000, like night and day.

Again going on the assumption that the OP is talking about 1999-2000 as a 12 month period from WM to WM, (so that's WM15 to WM16)... my answer is the Rock.

A case can be made for HHH, he was the top heel in the period, though Rock was making huge strides in this period, and would take over the mantle as WWE's biggest star once Austin was injured in Nov'99.

At summerslam 99, Austin still didn't consider HHH worthy of dropping the title to (with Mick Foley being used as a baton to take the title off Austin and onto HHH in successive nights).
Rock was already becoming a cross-over celebratory in the media (pre-acting career)... early 2000 he was hosting Saturday night live, and making music with Wyclef Jean, and a merchandise machine.

His catchphrases and mannerisms were mimicked everywhere, even non-wrestling fans (HHH has never been magic on the mic).

Triple H was the classic bad guy in this era, arguably the best he ever was... but Rock was untouchable at this point

So it has to be one of The Rock and Triple H.

I'm inclined to agree here, though I'll lean more towards the Rock. As mentioned earlier, Austin didn't get put on the shelf until November of '99, and Trip started his ascension in August. Rock was pretty much at main event status consistently throughout both years. Both I definitely give it to both of them for much of 2000 for sure.

You can make a case for Austin or even Triple H but for me the mvp of this time period was the Rock. This was the year that the Rock firmly established himself as a major player and a draw and superstar on the level of Austin. IMO he was as popular as Austin if not more popular depending on who you ask during this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back