Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980s Bracket,
Round 2, Match 7

Platoon

platoon.bmp

Vs.

The Breakfast Club

breakfast%20club.jpg

I may be in the minority here, but I think overall, The Breakfast Club is a better film than Platoon. As I've said with many different matches in this round, this is in no disrespect to Platoon, which is also a great film. Though using Barber's Adagio for Strings in a tragic scene has now become about as timeless as using Also Sprach Zarathustra for a big reveal, I think this choice boils down to which one you can get more out of with more views. Both make a good impact the first time you watch it, but I think Platoon loses its replay value after that, while Breakfast Club is a movie that you can sort of grow up learning more about. Your perceptions of it can change depending on what your age is. You have a different outlook on the characters if you're in middle school, high school, the end of high school, college, adult, etc. Platoon, you get the same experience every time you watch it. So based on that, TBC resonates better with a wider range of an audience.

The Breakfast Club.

Platoon is a great movie, and I do think I say that too much, but it is. But that said, I just cannot vote for it over the Breakfast Club. It is just a guy feeling I had when I tried to vote for Platoon, and my stomach just said, no. So I had to click the Breakfast Club, and I was relieved. I voted on the fact that I liked the film more. It is a fun film, that will have long living remembrances. The Breakfast Club FTW.

Platoon is a film that at times can take itself too seriously. I realize it's a drama, and a hard one at that. But as far as war flicks go, I prefer films that don't martyr themselves. Like Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket.

Breakfast Club is absolutely a little overboard with the acting - and as a former high school and college wrestler, I will NEVER take Emilio Estevez seriously in this role. But the film captured the sociologically relevant division of subcultures and proliferation of class roles very aptly. (how's that for sophisticated language, Jake?) Judd Nelson was awesome in this film - he got to play the role that EVERY teenage boy would want to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back