Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 10

The Breakfast Club
The_Breakfast_Club.jpg

Vs.

Lethal Weapon
lethal_weapon.jpg

Though Lethal Weapon was an entertaining enough action film that it was able to spawn a few sequels, I think the victor here is The Breakfast Club. Classic 80s teen film. This was back when Anthony Michael Hall was a dork instead of a middle-aged "normal guy", when Judd Nelson could be taken seriously as "the bad guy", when Molly Ringwald was actually attractive lol. The structure is what makes it so good. They don't just have some story about a group of friends causing fun mischief and having a blast for their Saturday, they have the conflicting social cliques of high school that have to battle out their differences as well as join together for the sake of their sanity, pretty much. The popular stuck up bitch and the popular bully jock teaming up based purely on their higher status in comparison to the nerd, the outcast, and the delinquent with the heart of gold apparently. Everyone argues with everyone else even with that sort of barrier. I do think that the Emilio/Sheedy "romance" was a little forced, but what I like the best about this film is that they sort of imply that nothing big will change. High school kids love to think that their life is constantly pulling an EKG...that every high point is Everest and every low point is a canyon...but in the end, they still revert back to the middle ground with maybe just a small bump higher or a small ditch lower. They leave the nerd to do their work for them. The delinquent has more detentions. The jock will probably stay the jock and the princess will probably stay the princess. The outcast most likely won't be hanging out with these four come Monday. But there's still the possibility that although this clique only lasted in one day's space-time bubble essentially, that there still might have been enough impact to change the course of their lives for the better.

The Breakfast Club.

Breakfast Club wins this. It established the high school archetypes that are still used to this day. Those 5 were exactly right together and it hasn't been topped since and likely never will. It is the epitome of the 80s high school movie and its as good as it gets if you want cheap entertainment.

Lethal Weapon is good, but its just not as good as its made out to be. Die Hard was better than it was, and I've never liked gibson or glover. This one was easy for me, and it should be for everyone else.

Like the two above, I have to go with "The Breakfast Club" as well. Never been a huge fan of the "Lethal Weapon" movies, while I find "The Breakfast Club" to be entertaining as hell. It has tons of flaws with it and it's not the best to come from John Hughes, but it's still a fun movie and something I can still watch to this day and enjoy. The performances of the kids in this movie is what makes it so great, but Anthony Michael Hall is the one who really steals the show for me. While the others were great, he was fantastic. Also, the principal couldn't have been better casted either. He alone gets a laugh out of me every time I watch this movie.

Good match up here. But The Breakfast club was the better movie. It is a prime example of an 80s movie, filled with the 80s rat pack. It is just one of those movies that I loved to watch no matter how many times it is on. Don't you forget to vote for me! Anyways, It beats Lethal Weapon because it is a better movie. Also, when it comes down to it, Die Hard is better than Lethal Weapon, so why not rid the tournament of it now.

The Breakfast club takes this out easily. We had to study this movie in school for English, in the topic of 'Change" how everyone changes.

It was fun watching it and debating about characters in the movie, it is a good movie.

It is a fun, 1980's high school teen movie. I don't see any other teen high school movie being able to beat it. It showed 5 very different people of 5 stereotypes coming together and being friends, the brain, the athelete, the criminal, the princess and the basketcase.

I can watch that movie again and again and still love it.

Also, love the ending song, fits the movie perfectly, Don't you forget about me.

Lethal Weapon doesn't come close to The Breakfast Club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back