Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1970's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 10

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
one_flew_over_the_cuckoos_nest_ver1.jpg

Vs.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
196786~Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-Posters.jpg

Oh man, PLEASE let One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest be among the tournament finalists! What an amazing film!

This movie was massively entertaining on so many levels, and launched so many actors and concepts into the stratosphere with the screenplay. The passion was unmatched.

I also realized that I posted wrong info the other day. Silence of the Lambs was not the first, but rather the 2nd film to sweep the "Big 5" Academy Awards (picture, direction, screenplay, actor, actress). It was the 2nd film to do so. The first? Cuckoo's Nest.

Let's start with the obvious - Jack Nicholson. He was amazing as Randle Patrick McMurphy, the volitile free spirit who was imprisoned for statutory rape. Nicholson basically announces in this role that he has arrived as the coolest actor on the face of the earth with the way he plays this character. I'd like to say the role was "made for Nicholson," but I cannot. The fact is, Nicholson MADE it his.

I saw Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan) play McMurphy in the broadway play, andhe was fantastic. But he played the role slightly different from Nicholson's adaptation.

Danny DiVito and Christopher Lloyd got their first major films roles in this movie, and the relationship they formed on the set helped lay the groundwork for the classic TV show "Taxi." This was Lloyd's debut overall.

And Nurse Ratched. Louise Fletcher turned in one of the all time greatest villain performances of all time in this film, and completely revised how we look at villains. She represented a rarely brought together combination of two hated characteristics - authority and sterility. While she was a dominating authority figure who held the personalities and lifestyles of the characters down, she didn't do so by being angry or domineering. She ALWAYS kept her cool. And she was so "by the book" and representative of routine, and anyone with a pulse DESPISED HER. Maybe the greatest film character of ALL TIME.

Its a goddamn marvel of modern science.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, although up against some fine competition, wins this. The concept of standing up against the oppressive system is done realistically in this film. A plethora of small rebellions that sometimes escalate. Some sacrifices have to be made. One man needs to be the first to stand up and say "no". It isn't glorified into some hokey action film or overplayed into cheese. That's about enough for now.

So vote for Cuckoo's Nest. Put your vote in the basket. Put it in the basket, Chief.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Its Nicholson again. He and De Niro are taking over this tournament very quickly. In this one, he might be at his best. This movie shows that it can often take the smallest act to set off anything. It also shows that while one person can't do something, he often inspires someone that can do it.

On the other hand, we have perhaps the greatest storyteller in his element telling a larger than life story. Even still, I'll go with Jack, as he is just insanely great in his movie, but this is another Beetlejuice in this tournament.

Usually considered one of the best movies of all time, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest for good reason. It has an amazing storyline, filled with amazing actors. Jack Nicholson is such a great actor, and this was one of the movies that started the rumour. I actually got sad watching his recent movie The Bucket List, knowing that is is possible the world will no longer have this great actor. This tournament is filled with Jack's blood sweat and tears. move on One.

On the one hand people might talk about how good Close Encounters is, but on the other I might go on to talk about how boring it is. Maybe it might have stood a chance against a lesser film. But Cuckoo's Nest is a classic. I'm not saying Close Encounters is. But Cuckoo's Nest is at the very least a more entertaining film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back