17 Street Fighter II -v - Pac Man 112

Discussion in 'Hyrule Region' started by Lee, Jun 2, 2011.

?

?

1. Hadouken

2. Wakwakawaka

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

WacaWacaWacaHADOUKEN! Two arcade classics, two game with a hundred clones. Two games once again very different. Who wins? You decide!

[​IMG]

2. TheKingHustla

TheKingHustla The Man Who Saw R-Truth Beat Cena!

Street Fighter forever changed my gaming life. It gave me the two motions that i try in every, and I mean every, fighting game I ever play. The Hadouken motion became my go to motion in every fighting game because I felt like "hey, it has to work for somebody other than Ryu and Ken". If that didn't work, just a slight alteration turned it into the flying uppercut.

Pac Man was epic, but it never did it for me. It's a classic, but it can't hold a candle to street fighter 2, or any other street fighter 2 reincarnation that they tried to sell us for the same full price.

3. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm assuming we are talking about Street Fighter II the game and not the overall collection of re-versions with the same name. If so, Pac-Man is my choice. SFII WW wasn't even the best of the SF II games in my opinion. I preferred Super Street Fighter II: Turbo over it.

But Pac Man was a killer time killer. That thing could still draw if you leave one around.

4. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

Both of these are gaming perfection, but it's Street Fighter II that will always be held up the more evolved and engaging. 20 years after it's release it is still the greatest beat-em-up ever made.

5. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

I may pick up a lot of slack from the likes of Gelgarin for my choice but Street Fighter is a much better game in every sense of the idea. Pac-Man, wait for it, is about chasing around little dots on a screen whilst escaping little monsters that want to eat you. For me, there is no more boring experience than perhaps playing Tetris. Still, Pac-Man may be one of the most over-rated games in the history of gaming. I enjoyed it maybe 16 years ago when it was the best we had but it shows it's age every time I play it. Perhaps I have been spoiled by new and improved machines but Pac-Man just cannot cut it any more.

In saying that, perhaps the backlash would have been stronger if Street Fighter 2 was not one of the greatest games ever created. It really was the game that I grew up playing, alongside Mario and Sonic. Street Fighter 2 is one of the bets fighting games I have ever played and transcends the genre in many ways.

Whatever title goes through here, I suspect it will do a lot of damage until it is finally eliminated from the tournament. For the sake of selfishness and not having to argue that Pac-Man is over-rated in every round, I hope that Street Fighter does us a favour here.

6. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Pac-Man is a worthy opponent for Street Fighter 2.... I nearly had to flip a coin in my decision, but Street Fighter came out victorious. As fun and addicting as Pac-Man was, Street Fighter 2 is the better of the two in my opinion because of the replay value it has and the enormous impact it had on fighting games as a genre.

7. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

Pacman was a pretty fun game until you actually won. After that it got boring. I would not neccesarily say that it has no replayability, you can sometimes pick it up on a day where you have nothing to do and have some fun, but it is not something you would play over and over again.

Streetfighter II is the exact opposite. You could play it a number of times and it would not lose it's charm. There are quite a few characters to play with and the music is also kickass, which is always a good thing. My favorite character in the game was undoubtedly Guile because he is the first guy I completed the game with. I always thought that he was a much better character than the more overhyped duo of Ryu and Ken.

I'm voting Streetfighter II.

8. Sean Valjean

Sean Valjean Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love

This is a really tough one. Both of these games are not only great to play but they changed the face of gaming forever.

Pac Man provided first real mascot in gaming. It's universal appeal helped open arcades (and, in turn, gaming in general) to a more broader audience. I could ask anyone and they'd know who Pac Man was but I doubt most would know who Ryu or Ken were. The gameplay is timeless and addicting, though at the same time can be boring and repetitive. The gameplay hasn't aged a day and is still fun and accessible. Still, Pac Man's relevance has diminished in the years since then.

Street Fighter II revolutionized an entire genre. It introduced character-specific fighting styles and special moves. Every fighting game to come out since owes it's very existence to this game. It has more replay value since you'd want to beat the game with each character to see their endings and, of course, play against friends. As important as Pac Man is, it's influence isn't as strong as SF II's, which is still felt with every fighting game released.

As for which game I'd rather play, it's Street Fighter all the way. While I like Pac Man, playing the same board over and over gets boring even with the increased difficulty. Street Fighter II never got old for me and is one of my most played video games ever. Hell, I still boot up Street Figher II now and again while I almost never play Pac Man. For that reason, Street Figher II gets my vote.

9. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

SFII wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.