13 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past -v - Mortal Kombat 116

?

• TLOZ: ALTTP

• FINISH HIM

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Zelda_SNES.jpg

Two 16 bit legends take to the stage in this encounter Two very different games. Two very different audiences. Who wins? You decide!

Mortal_Kombat_game_flyer.png

Yet another zelda game I never played, but I sure played the hell out of some mortal kombat. It had subzero, who worked well with my Ken/Ryu formed controller movement, and they had Scorpion, who had the easiest move ever. back, back, one button? Cake. Get Over Here, all day.

I am a huge Mortal Kombat fan, and while I enjoy the Zelda games, I'm not a huge fan of them, and this one in particular never did anything for me. While this Zelda game did provide a new epic adventure for the generation that first enjoyed this game, Mortal Kombat created what is, in my opinion, a much more interesting world and concept. Warriors from all the realms participating in a tournament, and if the Earthrealm warriors don't win, then it's game over for life as we know it.

The story was left wide open as well, kind of like a make your own adventure. You could either fight on the side of good as Liu Kang, Johnny Cage, Raiden, or Sonya Blade, or Sub-Zero or you could fight on the side of evil with Kano and Scorpion.

Furthermore, the game revolutionized fighters. They used real actors to play the characters, and the gameplay was drastically different from the king of fighters at the time, Street Fighter, and the arcade gamers rapidly began to favor Mortal Kombat's style better.

For me it's Mortal Kombat, though I can see this going either way.

Damn. This is a hard one. But I'm going with Zelda. While I love MK, I was not too high on the first one as I am with the rest. A Link TO The Past was not to mention a huge game by itself with a lot of influence and attraction to Nintendo. Mortal Kombat I was just controversial. It's the reason it stood out during the fighting game craze of it's time. Otherwise it would've been another one in the bunch. Great game yeah, but ALTTP was far bigger.

Reactions: Lee
Damn, no offense to Mortal Kombat, but LTTP is still my favorite Zelda game even to this day (sorry to the Ocarina of Time fans out there). Once again this game has sentimental appeal to me since my father and I would spend hours playing LTTP, trying to defeat every dungeon. What's humorous to me was how my father would struggle through a dungeon to get to a boss, then hand the controller to me to defeat it. The puzzles were great, all the little secrets you could discover, and it's still a game I can go back and play over and over again. The hours I've put into LTTP earns my vote automatically until I'm faced with a difficult decision, and Mortal Kombat just isn't up there enough for me.

Don't get me wrong, I did speak about how it influenced the beginning of the increase of mature rated games, but Mortal Kombat just doesn't compare to LTTP in regards to my taste in games. I enjoyed the hell out of Mortal Kombat with friends, but compared to how much I've replayed LTTP, I just gotta give the vote to LTTP.

Oh and obtaining the Master Sword for the first time, still one of the coolest things I had ever seen in a game growing up.

I downloaded LTTP for the GBA emulator and definitely enjoyed it (thanks for the suggestion Lee). I've never been into the Zelda franchise but LTTP is a good game nontheless. However, Mortal Kombat has a place in my childhood as it was one of the first games I ever played. I used to go to the movie theater with my brother and cousins as they had an arcade there and we used to play the games in there often. Along with Street Fighter and Sonic, MK got me into gaming and so I'll vote for it here b/c of that.

This is another hard one for me. As I have made known, I really hate Zelda games but you can only vote for what is in the match up. For that reason, it is harder to discern a winner here.

Look, I can see the things that everyone sees in Zelda and people really can put up an argument as to why it is one of the finest games to ever have been made. What is harder is to put up an argument as to why it shouldn't be classed as such. Unfortunately for me, I seem to always land on the more difficult side of the fence. For the longest time, I have tried to play Zelda titles and just found them to be inevitably boring. Really I can't make it any more detailed than that. A Link To The Past is one of the games that I expect will do very well in this tournament but I don't think I can vote for it in this round.

Mortal Kombat is still one of the games that I had a lot of fun playing. My friends and I love the Mortal Kombat series and this is where it all began. This is one of the only games that I had for my Mega Drive and I absolutely loved it. Questions could be raised about my parents allowing me to play such a violent game but I didn't see it that way. Like many other kids, you just like to beat the shit out of someone and Mortal Kombat is still one of the finest attempts at a fighting game I have ever seen or played.

Really, I don't mind if ALTTP goes through here but I am going to vote for Mortal Kombat.

A lot of people came into the Zelda series with Link to the Past. It's by far my favorite game in the series, and I can get through the whole thing in under 4 hours with every item and no game over's. I've thought of youtubing that but never got around to it. That aside.... Mortal Kombat has no chance here, it will get hit with a fatality in the form of Zelda moving on because it's a much better game that has stood the test of time.

Ugh, this is heartbreaking. Mortal Kombat is my favorite fighting series ever and I want to see it advance. But it's up against my favorite Zelda game and I'm going to have to give the nod to Link this round.

Mortal Kombat was great for it's time. The fatalities were awesome and paved the way for mature games. It also pioneered the secret character in the form of Reptile. Still, the game as not aged well; in fact, it was topped on all fronts by Mortal Kombat II.

Link to the Past is amazing. The gameplay is fun, accessible and challenging. The dungeons are among the best in the series with some devilishly clever puzzles and all of the little secrets are fun to find and add replay value. The visuals haven't aged a day and are still great to look at. I could pick up and play this game anytime, while I can't say the same for the original MK.

Mortal Kombat was great for it's time.

I'll pick this out, a lot of people have mentioned it in other threads etc. that MK was great for its time. That's right, it was. A Link to the Past however is still great today, some 20 years on. MK hasn't aged well, ALTTP has.

There's a reason ALTTP is my favourite game of all time and the masterful mix of everything through music, gameplay, story, visuals that haven't aged just make it that damn good.

Just played A Link to the Past tonight on my PC. Yeah its pretty good. I love Super Nintendo games because they hit that sweet spot when 2D graphics hit their absolute zenith and would never be improved. As such, they're timeless and trying to replay them isnt a polygon nightmare like N64 games.

Its the usual Zelda formula, but I suppose if I first played it when it came out 20 years ago, I'd be flabbergasted. Personally, I think Oracle of Ages/Season on the GBC is CRIMINALLY underrated, but LTTP is good too.

As for Mortal Kombat, it never did it for me. It was the gimmicky fighter that tried to TNA-itself away from the superior Street Fighter. I really don't understand what people see in it. I mean jesus, Scorpion, Reptile, Noob Saibot, Sub Zero, they're all the same look. They're the blue steel, ferrari and magnum of the video game world. I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE.

One of the toughest first round match-ups for me, as both were great games that I played the hell out of as a kid in the mid 90s. Everyone knows Mortal Kombat and how it rocked the world of fighting games, but A Link to the Past is unfairly forgotten simply because it's overshadowed by other games in the Zelda franchise. And that's a damn shame, because A Link to the Past might just be the best Zelda game of them all.

I'm going to go with Kombat here though, simply because it's losing pretty badly and because I'm so torn on both games and wouldn't be upset if either game won. Can't go wrong either way here.

Reactions: Lee
A link to the past narrowly escapes a fatality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back