113 Silent Hill 3 v 17 Resident Evil 4

?

• SH3

• RE4

Results are only viewable after voting.
Silent Hill 3 hands down. Both of these games are under the survival horror genre, both franchises probably the most popular in survival horror, but is RE4 really survival horror? When i play RE4 and RE5, I ask myself. "Where is the survival part"? You are given a hybrid 1st person shooter/3rd person shooter view, along with a fuckin laser if it wasn't easy enough to help kill enemies. How does that make you panic? Or make you feel like you need to survive? The enemies can be easily dispatched. No need for running if you can actually aim properly, and Ammo seems easy to come by. On top of this, most of your enemies consist of foes who can talk, and actually walk properly and wield stuff. I don't know about most of you, but i don't see whats so scary about a angry villager with a skin problem.

Unlike in Silent Hill 3, where like most survival horror games you must conserve ammo, and run for the majority of the game. Also you aren't given some nifty 1st person view for shooting, no you're given no special view. You just shoot in a straight line where the enemy is hoping your shots land. As i have said numerous times, I feel Silent Hill 3 perfected survival horror, and it stays true to the genre. While I know I'm gonna hear something about RE4 being innovative and what not, is it really survival horror? Seems like Action Horror to me. Silent Hill 3 i know for a fact remained survival horror, and does what survival horror is suppose to do better then most games, if not all in my opinion. Scare the living shit out of you. You have few means of survival, can't take on a swarm of enemies with a melee weapon, fight disturbing looking hellish creatures, must conserve ammo for bosses, and run around in some pretty fucked up looking areas. All this while playing as a average teenage girl, well mostly average.

Vote Silent Hill 3

Marquis has covered pretty much everything I wanted to say. Resi 4 was my least favourite of the series because of how it moved away from tension into action.
Silent Hill is the most effective, scary game series to date and those games don't get the recognition they deserve.

Maybe SH doesn't get any shine because till this day the old Tomb Raider games seem to have a better controls than these games. Actually...I think I'd rather play Tomb Raider II than any SH anyday. Anyways...if you vote for SH saying RE moved out of the 'tension' like the earlier series do us a favor and just stop voting. RE4 is more exciting, controlled better, and had a better protagonist...hell RE has done everything better than the entire SH franchise, well except for the films, I actually enjoyed the SH movie where as all 3 of the RE movies make me want to nail myself to death.

Vote Leon S. Kennedy

Silent Hill 3 survives this round for me. I know you are not supposed to vote for a game on the other games in the series, but when I look at Resident Evil 4, and later Resident Evil 5, I get sad at how the series went. Survival games, where one tries to.. Survive. I look at the old RE games, the Outbreak games and all that. 10 bullets, and a prayer is what you have. Then... RE4/5 came out, and what do you get? Duke Nukem with zomb... oh wait, bitches with parasites. It is a game that got over on name value alone. Games are pretty short, with nothing great in them.

Silent Hill 3 however lives up to a survival game. It vastly improves on the game, and with a great female lead, you play a game, where at every moment you are scared. There is no bullshit about shooting bitches from a window, or shotgun blasting people. This is a game where you must run for your life, causing the player to panic. That is how you get into a game, and that is why SH3 is a great game.

This isn't a survival horror tournament last time I checked, it's a video game tournament of all genres. What does it matter if RE 4 isn't really a survival horror game? It's still a superior game to SH3, atleast in my opinion.

Resident Evil 4 is pretty much the definition of a perfect game. Great plot, gameplay, and graphics, and despite what some of you are arguing, I thought there were several frightening moments in the game. Just the scenery itself was creepy. And there were certainly survival horror panic parts to the game, just look at the times when you go into a house and have to push objects in front of the doors to try and keep the zombies out while having to shoot dozens of them. Some fucker always climbs up a ladder as well and try to mess your shit up.

Granted, RE 4 isn't my favorite of the series, but I certainly thought it was better than SH3. The only Silent Hill game I could call perfect is the original, and if it were the original game, than I'd actually probably be voting for it over RE 4.

This round is ridiculous... most of my favorites have been pitted against each other. This round is no different as I've expressed a love for both these games. Both are my favorite of their respective genre's and both games have left their impressions on me. Dammit, why couldn't American Mcgee's Alice have made the tournament? Then this match would be easy to decide (Alice is superior to both these games).

This match up is truly a toss up for me, I really do not care who wins this. However, if I had to pick a winner I'd choose Resident Evil 4 simply because it seems to have more support in this tournament... but maybe I'm wrong. All things considered, It just seems that RE4 would have a better shot at holding its own in the latter rounds than SH3.

X has hit the money here - this isn't about which is more true to the survival horror genre, it's about which one is just a plain better game. Criticizing RE4 for not being straight up survival horror is like criticizing GTA3 for not being a top down shooter - they dared to change the game style, and it worked to fantastic effect.

Silent Hill 3 is not a bad game. It's straight up survival horror, and it makes no apologies. It's fuckin' scary (but, I'm a pussy when it comes to video games, so). It's got a fantastic horror atmosphere and tells a brilliant horror story, something often forgotten in horror, where more often than not, "horror" is defined as cheap scares and a guy with an ax rather than a truly masterful horror story, which SH3 manages. One of its failing, though not significant, and partially necessary, is that it's hard to follow for new players, which is part of being a sequel, but oftentimes this is avoidable with recaps and such. It's a significant graphical, audio, and production improvement over its predecessors as well. However, the game utterly fails to innovate, and its control system is honestly motion sickness inducing at times.

And now, I turn to Resident Evil 4. It is one of the best reviewed games of recent times, with it being considered an easy contender for 2005 Game of the Year, and introduced a new gameplay style that made it not only a hit with present RE fans, but able to tap the massive audience previously unwilling to explore Resident Evil titles. Metacritic has it at a 96, which is fucking high on Metacritic. It was named the best Gamecube game of all time, and voted #1 all-time by IGN Readers (admittedly not the most intelligent crop, but there you are). It was named Game of the Year for PS2, and both versions of the game got perfect GI scores. Tons of more Game of the Year and such awards follow. It's sold nearly 4 million copies worldwide, which is well over 10 times what SH3 pulled in. It had a solid story and good characters, with great design and cinematic sequences. It's new style dared to innovate the RE series, and the gambit was rewarded with tremendous success.

In short, Silent Hill 3 is a better pure survival horror, and Resident Evil 4 is a better pure game.

I'm voting RE4, but let me just start out by saying Silent Hill 3 was an excellent game in it's own right, but RE4 was just superb, and damn near perfected everything that the RE series was lacking before. Now let me just say this, the first time I played RE4, I got stuck in that house with all the motherfuckers trying to get in. I run upstairs and find a shotgun and some shells. I"m in business now. I literally jumped out of my chair when I turned around and got my head chopped off by a chainsaw. Never saw the thing coming. While RE4 may not have the psychological horror going for it like SH3 does, it still has that element HOLY FUCK WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?!??! Trust me, I love survival horror games, and can watch horror movies without jumping nowadays, but legitimately RE4 still scared the piss out of me at times.

Anyway, I loved how they gave you more ability to defend yourself in RE4, but still getting stuck in a corner and trying to blast your way out with about 6 infected keep trying to tear your limbs off is still difficult, and when you're low on health with no herbs to smoke errr I mean ingest, you start to panic, and when you're low on bullets and your pistol ain't doin shit? Then you know you're fucked. RE4 takes it because it became my favorite Gamecube game, and hell same with my brother, I think he's ran through it a good 10 times by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back