• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

100% Completion - Is it really worth it?

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
The desire to clear every possible event in a video game.... The need to have a perfect save file.... Having to find and/or do EVERYTHING that the game has to offer.... Is it really worth it?

Just about every game these days has hours upon hours of entertainment material to offer. However, then after you clear all the required portions of the game, there are still optional things to do in order to truly finish the game in every possible way. The problem I find with 100% completion in most games is that it has become so much more tedious. I remember the days when there were barely any optional events, let alone "points of no return" where you can potentially miss something that if missed makes 100% completion impossible. There are few things less annoying than having to start over due to missing something after a "point of no return" in a game.

There are those people out there who strive for 100% completion in every game they play. Sometimes they are labeled as someone who has no life. Yet they will have bragging rights in the video game community for getting all the stars in Mario or having the highest score in a worldwide ranking for a game. Is it honestly worth it?

So with that being said.... here are some discussion questions for this thread.

1. What are some games you got 100% completion in, or strive to reach that status in and why?

2. How do you feel about "points of no return" where once you pass them and miss something missable then the opportunity is gone forever, and why?

3. Has trying to achieve 100% completion at one point or another done a number on your time for other things such as school/work/friends/dating? Any stories you'd like to share of time that you lost due to desiring that perfect save file?

4. Do you feel that the bragging rights that come from 100% completion (depending on the game, I suppose) is even worth the massive amount of time and patience that it often takes these days?

I'll go first. I often strive for 100% completion in series such as Final Fantasy and Mario. I am currently doing a nostalgic replay of FF9 currently and am trying to get every ability learned for each character because I never pulled that off back in the day due to the game having so many "points of no return". Even if I did that, I still wouldn't have 100% completion since there are so many missable items and sidequests. I already know I've missed a few, and don't have the patience (or time!) to do another replay anytime soon after this one.

I personally detest "points of no return" because they are so frustrating and cause so many people to mess up when they desire a perfect save file. The better games will have been developed in a way that you will ALWAYS be able to go back and obtain missed items or fight optional bosses, no matter what part of the story you are in. Why drive the gamers insane by making them have to start over if they missed something? "Points of no return" are something I hate about a lot of games.

Striving that perfect save file with 100% has certainly done a number on my time before. How I was able to juggle involvement on campus, classes, hanging out with friends, dating, and still be able to have enough time left over to try to get 100% completion in games is beyond me. I haven't been able to do it anymore recently and I honestly don't care anymore. Games should be fun, not frustrating. Right? Last time I checked all forms of "games" dealt with entertaining oneself or a group. Exactly.

Bragging rights that come from 100% in a game is seriously not worth it in my opinion. If I had the choice between having a good time with my friends or my fiancee, passing my classes, and succeeding in real life.... VS getting a perfect save file in a video game I might never play again.... it's such an easy choice. I'd much rather succeed and have a good time in real life, relying on games as entertainment and nothing more. Trying to get perfect save files is just not worth it anymore and it hasn't been for years.

Your thoughts? Discuss.

saints row 2. i beat the game. every single mission and all i have left are activities (which are only meant for exp for missions.) and i am only 61% complete! WTF. i feel like i have done everything i can, and im only 61% done.

1. What are some games you got 100% completion in, or strive to reach that status in and why?

I'm not completely sure I got a 100% completion in any other games than strategy games that are based on missions following all the way through, you know games like Age of Empire etc.

Games I strive to achieve 100% completion in is usually games where I know I can get something out of experiencing it all, a game like Dragon Age, The Mass Effect series, any kind of RPG.

2. How do you feel about "points of no return" where once you pass them and miss something missable then the opportunity is gone forever, and why?

If a game is great I play it through to simply complete the main mission at first, and then I play one more time to experience it all, so I'm not really hurt by it because of the fact that I can always go back and experience it all again.

Besides there's a lot of different contend depending on classes and races in a game like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, so in that way a retry of the game play is always needed to get the full experience.

3. Has trying to achieve 100% completion at one point or another done a number on your time for other things such as school/work/friends/dating? Any stories you'd like to share of time that you lost due to desiring that perfect save file?

Absolutely not, I have always been raised and told to put School and Work above anything else, the other two I may very well have experienced it on a little bit, but I sadly cannot share experiences and stories due to the lack of knowledge whether I actually neglected the dating and the friends completely due to a game, and not just because of laziness / wanting to spend the weekend just relaxing and doing nothing

4. Do you feel that the bragging rights that come from 100% completion (depending on the game, I suppose) is even worth the massive amount of time and patience that it often takes these days?

I don't usually brag about it more than simply sharing the tales of how great it was towards a person who may not be playing it, more of a way to convince him into playing it, or to talk about it with a friend who is playing it, to share experiences and thoughts on it.

At times I find it worth spending the time on because of the great conversations that can be reached through playing such a game, I had a 2 hour discussion with a friend once about creating the perfect MMORPG and it all started from talking about Dragon Age.

Great thread Dagger.

Wow. Quite a few. If I enjoy them, I go for it all.

+ Super Mario World
+ Pokemon Red & Blue
+ Megaman.exe 2,3,4,5 & 6
+ Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time, Master Quest, Majora's mask, Windwaker
+ Super Smash Bros. & Melee
+ Metroid Fusion, Prime, 2 and Super
+ Star Fox 64
+ Mario Kart 64[QUOTE]2. How do you feel about "points of no return" where once you pass them and miss something missable then the opportunity is gone forever, and why?[/QUOTE]
I hate that. There are times when this happens and a game is just too damn long to go through to make it worth it. FF games have those kind of things I believe. In Legend Of Dragoon there were secret bosses you couldn't fight after certain point even though you could go back to it. It's just annoying.
School only. I'm a professional procrastinator. Chores seem more fun than school. Hell, I prefer work over it. But I always make room for other things.
It means I squeezed every drop of juice in the cartridge. It means I got my moneys worth.

By the way, has anybody gotten 100 % in Gran Turismo 2? I bet not. :p

+ Super Mario World
+ Pokemon Red & Blue
+ Megaman.exe 2
+ Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time, Majora's mask, Link's Awakening
+ Super Smash Bros. & Melee
+ Metroid Fusion, Prime, and Zero Mission
+ Golden Sun 1 & 2
+ Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
+ Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, SotN
+ Probably some more...can't think

Depends. Usually, I have a bad habit of getting bored at that point and going on to something else. But it does suck to miss stuff, and sometimes I'll feel bad about it.

I'd figure I've wasted a lot of time trying to go for perfect files, but no stories really.

Nah. Nowadays, I don't even bother, since games have become bloated or want you do do ridiculous things to even try and get a perfect file.

+ Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, Majoras Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess.
+ Metal Gear Solid 1, Twin Snakes, 2, 2:Substance, VR Missions, 3, 3:Subsistence, 4, Portable Ops, Peace Walker
+ Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3 and 64
+ Final Fantasy 7
+ Legend of Dragoon
+ Legend of Legaia, Legaia2: Duel Saga
+ Star Wars: KOTOR
+ Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars (First game I 100%'ed)
+ Devil May Cry 3
+ Pokemon Silver
+ Batman: Arkham Asylum

The reason for 100%ing isn't for any Bragging Rights or w/e, mainly just because I wanna get the full enjoyment outta my favorite games... although FF7 was just to say I did it. Ruby & Emerald Weapon...reaaaaally not worth 100%... I advise against it... really do.

I personally despise them. As does anyone I'd imagine. That happened at least 13 different times on Legend of Dragoon itself, mainly due to finding all the Stardust. Why hate them? It pretty much speaks for itself. If they destroy an entire castle/lock it down, and you forgot the things you needed in it... realizing you have 99% and you NOW will have to do it all over again? That is reason enough to hate the "points of no return."

I've never missed much in order to 100% a game. Usually if my friend wanted to do somethin', we'd go do it, then come back and he'd gladly help. Girlfriends, kinda the same but she wasn't too sure on what to do. Work & School; I've never missed work over a game but school... well lmfao

When I was 9, I broke my foot and loooong after it had healed, I'd tell my mom how bad it hurt and she'd let me stay home. I'd just play Super Mario RPG and Mario 64 (Trying to 100% 2 games at a time: not smart) all day. My friend though, about 2 years ago, when he was trying to beat FF7 for the first time (Hold your appalled responses; I know.) He would stay home and just try and try to beat the WEAPONS and find all his gear and sidequests etc.

It's only worth the hassle if you really love the game and wanna do it for yourself. For all the games I 100%, yeah it was worth it. The ONE game I always wish I could've 100%, Super Mario 64.

As usual though, excellent thread from 1 of the VG section bosses. :worship:

Well, some of the games include
-Kingdom Hearts 1
-Kingdom Hearts 2
-Grand Theft Auto-Vice city stories
-Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
-Super Paper Mario on Wii
-Mario Kart
-Call of Duty Modern Warfare campaign on Wii, PS3
-some sonic game I hired
-Final Fantasy 1,2,3,4,6,7,
-Fifa 2010 (the graph had everything full)
-and most recently, manager mode on FIFA 2010
-Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow,
-Family Guy
-Futurama
-Simpsons Hit & Run, Road Rage

I think it is good when this happens, like in the pokemon games when you find the rare pokemon, you have to save before you get to them, because if they die, you lose it forever

Hmm, over time it has got me a few friends, no girlfriends, I get them the same way most people get girlfriends

No, not necassarily, the feeling you get when you complete a game is great, I love the feeling, you get so much adrenaline you just want to run around the street screaming at the top of you lungs, (if the game is hard)

nice thread dagger, really good stuff

I have gotten 100% in a few games when I was younger and played them after I got home from school.But the only two I can think of at this moment are Lego Star wars and Smackdown vs Raw 2010.Smackdown vs Raw was a game I had to get 100% finished, It wasn't that hard but I was cool to see that I got everything I could on the PS3 version of the game.

There good if you understand where they are in the game.If you know that the the next level has a rare weapon (e.g a sword or rare cloaks or something).But of you don't then it can really suck as the rare waepin may have helped you later in the game.And you can't go back or get it any where else.An example would be if your playing a game and your in a village and to get into a castle or something you may need a rare object which you could only get early in the game.And if you don't have it you miss out on an extra mission which adds onto the 100%.

This has not really happened to me, I pick friends and stuff over games any day.

Yeah, lets take Modern Warfare 2 for an example.If you play multiplayer and get level 70 and then the 10 other levels.It gives you massive bragging rights when you play online.It shows that you are that good and have had the time and will to get up to that point.

But when all this is settled I would go out with friends or family over a game any day.

MasterShakeIz4Real said:
+ Metal Gear Solid 1, Twin Snakes, 2, 2:Substance, VR Missions, 3, 3:Subsistence, 4, Portable Ops, Peace Walker

You're saying that you got all of the 100 animal trophies in MGS4? That must have taken aaaaaaaaaaaagggges. I mean one for one of them, you've got to stay on your belly for like 90% of the game haven't you?

Anyway.....

1. Umm, Batman Arkham Asylum and i think that's literally it. I couldn't be fucked to look for 100 Gold Skulltulla's in Ocarina of Time, i don't want to conquer all of the gang turf in GTA SA and i'm sure as fuck not chasing pigeons around in GTA4., i'm not interested catching all the sodding Pokemon either. And do i really need to explain why I, The Mark of Zur-En-Arrh, completed a Batman game all the way through? (well to tell the truth i didn't complete 100% of Lego Batman) Well for those who may have never read anything i've ever posted, I played 100% of Batman AA 1) To see just how accurate most of it was i.e. to see where they were going with the whole Chronicles of Arkham stuff and to what happens when you complete all the Riddle challenges. Plus the Challenge modes themselves were quite fun and i just did them all to see how good a score i could achieve. No more, no less.

2. 'Point of no return' choices are really annoying. I don't think i've played that many games that feature them but they are stupid. One example is right at the end of GTA 4. Depending on when you decide to kill the Russian who fucks you over towards the beginning of the game, determines which of your friends gets killed at Roman's wedding, either Roman himself or Kate McCreary. Killing Kate doesn't hurt you that much although you'll never be rewarded for having all your firends like you at once, and if Roman gets killed you lose out on the free cab rides from then on. Also i think Kate still ends up getting pissed off at you if she doesn't die, so how are you supposed to max out your friends respect bars if one of them is going to die or hate you no matter what?

3. Like i said i don;t bother with 100% saves. Completing the main story and any other fun bits is more than sufficient for me. Fuck spending hours and hours on a game searching in ridiculous locations for petty collectables just for the game to say 'Well done' at the end of it all.

4. Bragging rights? Do people seriously brag about what they achieve in video games? You're basically saying 'I HAVE NO LIFE' if you feel the need to prove your superiority over someone based on what video games you've completed. If someone sits there and says 'I did all this shit in some game the other day,' and it's not a game we're both playing/played and they're telling me how far along they are, then my usual response is something along the lines of 'I'm sorry, could you remind me exactly why i'm supposed to give a shit?'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back