Your NFL team's offseason hopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

truk24

Getting Noticed By Management
I'm a Steeler fan, and today I found out thru watching NFLnetwork that the Steelers will heading in to this offseason with 25 million dollars under the cap. With Starks, Kemoeatu, Nate Washington, Marvel Smith, McFadden, and Harrison all looking for new deals with the Steelers.

This amount of cap space leaves them open for a solid free agent pick up(s). They could be in the hunt for an all pro player at key positions. Big questions will arise on the o-line for them in the offseason. Is Starks worth the money, or should they gamble in the draft taking a LT with the last pick in the first round? Will Marvel Smith come back for less money since his stock may have went down due to lack of play battling injuries again? Left guard Kemoeatu showed that he could play left guard, and he can start anywhere else in the league. I'm sure they will keep him, as he has been with the team for 5 years now.

Nate Washington isn't the best WR coming in to this free agent market, but I don't think the Steelers will want to pay him top notch dollar should he ask for it. They will do what they did with Randle El, and let someone else pay too much for him. Bryant McFadden proved that he is worth the money to stay here, and I see the Steelers giving him a contract worth his value. James Harrison did sign an extenstion, but giving his excellent season he could be asking for more money.

Clearly I'm almost certain that the Steelers will resign both McFadden and Harrison to lock up long term deals that will keep them in Pittsburgh until they are old. As for Marvel Smith, and Max Starks I think the Steelers will have to wait, and see what the NFL free agent market is willing to pay out to players like Smith, and Starks. Both are LT's, and that is something teams invest heavily in.

With that said I think the Steeler will look to sign Smith, and keep him as a backup, or potential starter. Starks will get a big time paycheck somewhere else. This means the Steelers will be in the hunt for possibly a left tackle, and that leads me to Jordan Gross, or any other possible free agent left tackle that will be available this year. Gross will be available for a hefty dollar, and with the 25 million under the cap the Steelers should be able to throw some money his way. No one has been sacked more than Ben in the last 5 years. Gross could help solve that problem.

Another area of concern will be right defensive end. The Steelers have solid 3 down linemen, but they need more depth at RE. I could see the Steelers going after Chris Canty from Dallas. He is still young, and I can't imagine him wanting to stay there considering they draftef Spencer in the first round to take his spot. Canty has 3-4 DE size, and he would fit well lining up with Harrison next year.

As for a suprise pick up in free agency. I think the Steelers could be in the hunt for Ashomouga from Oakland. He is the best CB coming out in the free agent market. If the Steelers don't land Gross, and can't an offer possibly made out to McFadden, they may look to sign this great CB. Ashomouga went on the record, and said that he felt the Steelers had one of the best WR threats in all of the NFL. Maybe it is a hint at wanting to play in Pittsburgh.

Let us not forget that Willie Parker is in the final year of his contract. The Steelers don't often let player's of his caliber go in their final year, but this year could be different. I say this only because the cap hit is small compared to how much they would save under the cap now. They still have Mendenhall, whom could be the back of their future. He didn't play much his rookie season, but Rashaad is expected to be the RB to take them in to the next 5 years or so. First round RB's usually don't disappoint.

Note: Cedric Benson is the only bust I can think of in the last 6 years or so. I would hardly call him a bust since his stint in Chicago when you take all the numbers turns out to be one hell of a single season. Look at his career rushing attempts, total yds, TD's, and it turns out that all those totaled come out to a pro bowl like season.

What I am saying is that the Steelers could place Parker on the trade block during the draft. He is worth a high second round pick, maybe even a low first round pick depending on who wants him. The Steelers are notorious for building thru the draft. If you take in to account that Moore played rather well in Parker's place, and that he can catch better out of the backfield, one starts to wonder whether or not the Steelers need Willie Parker.

Finally in the draft I would hope that with the last pick the Steelers will land an offensive lineman. Possibly the best Center in the draft, or even best tackle, or someone who could come in and take over at RT next season. The offensive line is a huge concern, and they can take all the help they need. Landing a LT like Gross, and possibly drafting a lineman in the first round, or even second round would be what they need this offseason to be a championship caliber again just like this past season.

In the draft I expect to hear either of these three names in the first round. Possibly Alex Mack from California University. He is the best Center coming out this year as of now. If they are lucky like last year maybe a player like Tyson Jackson DE from LSU who would fit perfectly in a 3-4 scheme according to most scouts. The last of the three I expect to see in the first round would have to be Duke Robinson from Okalhoma. He is considered the best guard in the the draft, and is projected to be a solid starting RT for a rush heavy offense. The Steelers are a rush heavy offense. For years the Steelers have always drafted linemen who can play anywhere on the line.

Next season is looking really bright for the Steelers, and they haven't even won the SuperBowl yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back