Your most memorable regional promotion

JTS32

Occasional Pre-Show
Got to thinking the other day about how "back in the day" there were a ton of smaller regional promotions on television especially on Saturday mornings. Now while I know there are still some regional promotions out there they don't have near the impact they had back in the 80s. So my question is, what regional promotion from back in the day was your fave? Now I remember several, CWA which became USWA in Memphis, UWF, and the one that was my fave CCW or Continental Championship Wrestling which mainly worked in Alabama, Mississippi and some parts of Tennesee. It came on a local station about 9 am on Saturday mornings and some of the stars were Robert Fuller (Col. Parker) and Jimmy Golden, The Nightmares (Danny Davis and Ken Wayne), The Bullet (Bob Armstrong), Steve, Scott, and Brad Armstrong. Kevin Sullivan, Wildcat Wendell Cooley,and even Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannety spent some time down there as the Midnight Rockers. So bascially what old regional promotion did you follow most and who were some of the stars? If you feel like it even share a memorable fued or angle from that promotion. Please discuss.

aside from the WWF back in the day, my favorite promotion was Jim Crockett Promotions. I remember watching highlights from the CWA & Deep South Wrestling on this show that used 2 come on called "Pro Wrestling This Week" or something like that, I know it was hosted by Gordon Solie & some other guy, but that's how I got put on 2 the southern promotions.

My favorite independents back in the day were UWF and here in Georgia we had NGWA the North Georgia Wrestling Alliance a lot of nice talent got their start there like The Gangstas and Marcus Bagwell. I miss those days back when it was so many promotions on we had a show called Superstars of Wrestling hosted by Joe Pedicino and Boni Blackstone back in the 80s and early 90s and it would come on every saturday from 9pm-3am and it went all over the country showing all the promotions even to Japan and Puerto Rico. That was classic stuff. Wish they could put it in syndication today.

Without a doubt it would have to be WORLD CLASS: The Von Erichs/Freebird rivalry was incredible. Playboy Gary Hart, Skandar Ackbar, King Kong Bundy got his start there I believe, Bruiser Brody, Steve Austin and on and on.

i live in indiana, and i would stay up late( i think 11pm) to catch the 2 hour show of world class wrestling. the other show that would drive me nuts would be mid-south wrestling, they would always go off the air as the main event was happening.

@ zone3og,

thanks, that was the guy's name, Joe Pedicino who used 2 host with Gordon Solie & Boni Blackstone used 2 read the letters mailed 2 the show, I especially remember her in particular, because I used 2 wonder what her boobs looked like under those blouses she used 2 wear.

LOL!

@ gh88us,

I used 2 hate when the NWA would do that, 30 seconds in2 the main event, especially if it was one that I wanted 2 see, U'd hear David Crockett or Tony Schiavone "OH NO! WE'RE OUTTA TIME, WE GOTTA GO!" & the worst part about that was they wouldn't even bother showing the match the following week.

Well I Never Saw The Regional Promotions Because I Was Not Even Born When The Territorial System Was Alive, But I Do Watch Several Classics Now, I've Watched Wccw, Georgia Championship Wrestling, And Some Others.

My Favorite Has Been Jim Crockett Promotions, Of Course Leaded By Nature Boy Ric Flair, So I Loved It. They Had Magnum T.a. They Had Wahoo Mcdaniel, Jack Brisco At One Time, Roddy Piper, Dusty Rhodes And Many Other Greats, The Tv Show "world Championship Wrestling" Was Very Good, With Those Ric Flair Promos, Ironically The Name Of The Tv Show Later Would Become The Name Of The Promotion When Ted Turner Bought It!

Talking About Other Great Territories, Gcw (georgia Championship Wrestling) Was Very Good Too, Hosted By The Greatest Play By Play Announcer In History For Me (excuse Me Jim Ross) Gordon Solie Was The Best, Calling The Suplex, A Su-play Ahahahahah Was Incredible And He Had That Formalism And Professionalism That No One Has Ever Had!

World Class Championship Wrestling With 2 Of The Greatest Wrestling Stables In History, Based In Dallas Texas They Had The Fabulous Freebirds And Of Course The Von Erich Family, Also Later They Had Stone Cold In His Early Goings And The Great Top Main Eventer Chris Adams.

The Territory System Had To Disappear To Give The Ball To The Global Wrestling We Have Today, With Wwe And Tna, But The Memories From The Territories Will Never Die, And Was Maybe The Best Time In Wrestling History As Each Territory Had It's Rivalries And Bookers And Champions, Now We Just Have One Guy Booking All The Wrestlers In Just 1 Promotion And We Have Just 2 World Champions But That's It!

So Long Guys!

I remember being a kid and for us it was always Stampede wrestling. Guys like Bret and Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, The Dynamite Kid, Bad News Allen (later Brown in the WWF), Brian Pillman among many others. And anyone who has ever watched an old broadcast remembers Ed Whalen as the commentator (a-ring-a-ding-dong-dandy!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back