Your favorite final levels/boss battles

JGlass

Unregistered User
Nearly every (good) video game ever made has a final stage to it that is supposed to test the gamer, force him or her to use everything they've learned to beat a level like none they have ever played. Whether it's running through Bowser's last castle or fighting Shao Khan, all the greatest video games have given us memorable final levels that will stick with us forever.

So what are you favorite final levels in video game history? Or even your favorite boss battles from earlier in the game?

Also, for the sake of spoilers, tell us what game you plan on talking about, but keep the descriptions in spoilers.

Here are some of mine.

Pokemon Red & Blue

The Elite 4 and Gary Oak

The Elite 4 has come back in many shapes and many forms, and over the years the system has changed. However in the original Pokemon Games, the Elite 4 was a battle like you've never seen before. You had to beat 4 of the hardest trainers in the game without being able to run to the Pokemon center and heal your Pokemon. The task was daunting for certain, but you met it head on and charged your way through to Lance, the first person in the game to use dragon Pokemon. Suddenly, your Charizard's falmethrower doesn't work so well, but you persevere and manage to overcome Lance!

You are elated, winning what was most likely the most challenging battle in the game... until Lance tells you there's already a Champion. Somehow, your rival has already beaten the Elite 4, and now it's come down to one last battle to determine the true Champion of the Elite 4. Fortunately, you've done this battle half a dozen times before, and you've already gotten yourself a Pikachu that can take care of his Blastoise, and the rest of Gary's team is no match for you. You beat him, and you become the Pokemon Master.

The Elite 4 is special for many gamers because it was one of the first true challenges for us, and it came with a really cool name. Pokemon was the first game many of us between the ages of 18 and 25 became true fans of, and the Elite 4 will always be remembered as our first true test as Pokemon trainers.

Mass Effect 3

The Battle for Earth

The whole Mass Effect Trilogy comes to this moment: John Shepard and the Normandy crew come back to take Earth. All the soldiers you've recruited from Turrian to Krogan and Geth to Quarian are by your side, as they know if they don't take back the Citadel, the Reapers will be victorious.

Shepard side skirts the main fighting to take down a shield and then enter the Citadel, but it sure doesn't feel like he's avoiding major battles. The Reapers send their best units to take down Shepard and the two partners he trusted most, and after fighting through multiple waves of Brutes, Banshees, Cannibals, Marauders, and Ravagers, you finally make it to the Citadel. It's a long run to the entry point, and you're badly injured, but against all odds you make it inside. It is there that you and Captain Anderson are able to defeat the The Illusive Man and activate the Catalyst. But nothing happens...

Of course, if you've played Mass Effect you know that you have a choice to make, and this is where the controversy comes from. Were the endings for ME3 good? I thought they were as good as they could be, but it doesn't really matter. The whole mission was so grueling, so emotional that knowing that Shepard is able to bring the war with the Reapers to an end is such a relief. It's an amazing mission, and it actually has all the grandness you'd expect from the finale of Shepard's story.

Golden Sun

Saturos and Menardi

You know from the very beginning of the game that these are the two people that will be the biggest bitch by the end of the game. They think they're saving the world, but they're not (Or maybe they are? They seem pretty convinced, and all you have to go on is the word of an old guy, but who knows if he's reliable? Anyways...), and you KNOW that you're going to be the poor bastards that have to stop them. Hopefully you ate your wheaties and doubled back a few times to level all the way up, because Saturos and Menardi are not going down easily.

The first time I faced them it wasn't even close. The second time I faced them wasn't much better. This is a game where you actually need to employ strategy. The same tricks you used to defeat the last dozen bosses won't work here, and you have to be prepared for this battle.

With the proper strategies employed, S&M isn't so bad (pun intended), but after your first victory comes a second battle as the two merge into a two headed-dragon that will prove to be even more difficult than Saturos and Menardi's original forms. And to make matters worse, you had no time to heal after the last battle. That means you better have a healthy healer that can heal everyone at once, because otherwise you're gonna be starting all over.

Beating Saturos and Menardi and then Fusion Dragon is an endurance test, and with no chance to heal or save, it's one that can be very disappointing if not pulled off the first few times. But it is a good frustration, not a bad one. Fusion Dragon is beatable, and upon beating him you're rewarded with a (relatively) happy ending and the promise for another adventure. It's a battle that will test you, and an ending that will befit that test.

Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side:
Eternal Champions: Challenge From The Dark Side for the Sega CD is in my opinion, the most underrated game of all time, let alone the underrated fighting game. It's honestly on par with SF2 and MK and I still play it to this day. And it's pretty damn bloody and gory.

But let's talk the final boss. The general story of the game is that 13 (increases to nearly 30 with unlockables) characters, all from different time periods, from 1920's Chicago, 1692 Salem, 50000 BC Cavemen era, 2345 AD Cyborg Fighting era and much more. Anyway, these individuals were supposed to have played a key role in the development of the world, but were killed before their time. A mystical entity created at the beginning of time called the Eternal Champion has the power to bring one back to escape their fate, but only if they succeed in his tournament. The story of the first game for the Genesis (pretty mediocre the Genesis version btw) is the same with 9 fighters, but in the second game, another entity named the Dark Champion held 4 individuals from the Eternal Champion's view, so the contest could not reach a valid conclusion.

It's really hard to explain without me typing a lot, but this video does an OK job of explaining who the characters are and the general story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGxSYyshw8

OK, for the boss itself now. Eternal Champions CD is known to be a very difficult game, with the penultimate boss, the Eternal Champion, being perhaps one of fighting games cheapest bosses. (he was the final boss of the first game and he was cheap enough as it was then, so they decided to BUFF HIM MORE!) But the Dark Champion changes all of that. For a final boss in a fighting game, it's a pretty fucking fair fight.

The Dark Champion commands the power of the elements, and he will use these against you in the battle against him, in his total of 8 forms. However, every time you lower his health to 0 on a certain elemental form, you gain 33% of your health back, and unlike nearly all of the rest of the AI in the game, he doesn't block endlessly. This allows you to get actual hits in on him, but he can also get hits in on you, making for it to be a very aggressive fight on both ends on the spectrum, on the contrary to the Eternal Champion fight, which is pretty much a stall war.

What's more, the premise for this battle is epic. You're fighting the very epitome of darkness, on the frozen, final seconds of time itself in its complex. The Dark Champion will occasionally taunt you during the fight, calling you a "Victim" to set the tone to beat him and to save time. And finally, the music is fucking outstanding. Just listen.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE6WwyvreD0[/YOUTUBE]

For a 1995 game, that's impressive.

I've held this game very dearly for quite some time, and I truly believe it really needs more recognition. And the final boss is one of the best I've had the honour of facing.

I'll be posting more tomorrow when I remember them.

Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within

The Dahaka

What's interesting is this is a secret boss. You have to get all the life upgrades and then the final sword (the water sword) before you can fight him. Now he's been chasing you throughout the game and you have to avoid him otherwise he instant kills you. He's a bitch to beat. You fight him for a bit and he's knocked over the ledge you're on by Kaileena the Empress Of Time (the final boss if you don't get the aforementioned life upgrades and water sword) he's helpless here but he'll jump back up and regain a large amount of health. Fortunately if you use your sand powers effectively he can be beaten easily. After you beat him the ending leads into the beginning to the next game The Two Thrones.

The ending mirrors the movie a lot, but they throw a few tweaks into it

SNES: Super Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi

The Emperor VS Luke Skywalker

Unlike the movie, Vader doesn't come to the rescue for Luke. As Luke, YOU have to defeat The Emperor. Years and years ago, when I first started playing this game (I still play it now a days for a nostalgia kick) as a kid, I would constantly lose to The Emperor, until I figured out a strategy. He flies all over the place, shooting lighting bolts every where. You can't stay in one place to try and hide from him, because after a while, the lighting completely destroys the room, so you won't have anything to stand on, and Luke falls into the reactor core. Of course, falling into the reactor core kills you instantly. And on top of that, The Emperor will stand in one place, and cover himself in this electric force field, so you can't touch him, while he's shooting lighting bolts all over the place.

The key to defeating him? You have to follow The Emperor every where he goes. While he's airborne, stand underneath him for protection, while constantly swinging your lightsaber without stopping. The trick to evading the electric force field technique is simple (once I figured it out). You have to be really quick, and jump around like crazy to avoid the lighting.

Speed is crucial on this stage, because you have to try and defeat The Emperor as quickly as possible. The strategy works, but if you don't have any floor to stand on, Luke is going to fall into the reactor core. So yeah, if you give The Emperor time to destroy the room, he will, because The Emperor can fly without any limitations, Luke can't.

SNES: Super Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi Part 2

Flying out of the Death Star as it explodes from within, with the Millennium Falcon

The game isn't over once you defeat The Emperor. You still have to attack the Death Star. Going in? That's easy. Coming out? A monumental pain in the ass. If, IF you hit any part of the Death Star with the Falcon as you're trying to fly out, forget it. You're done. The Falcon will lose its momentum, the flames will catch up with you, and the Falcon will explode in a matter of seconds. Hell, if you slightly tap any part of the Death Star with the Falcon, there's a chance you won't make it out alive.

It's a lot easier said than done, but you have to fly PERFECTLY straight to give yourself the best chances of getting out alive and beating the game. I have no shame in saying I've beat this stage plenty of times on blind luck alone (including the first time).

Final Fantasy 6 - Kefka's Tower

[YOUTUBE]u4_LbCYnsKw[/YOUTUBE]

This place was rather ahead of its time. You had 3 teams that you brought into the tower using anywhere from 3 to 12 of your playable characters. You'd then have to switch between teams as they cleared little puzzles in the tower for each other and fought the various bosses leading up to the final confrontation with the statues and Kefka himself. The music in the tower is one of my personal favorite final level themes.

Then you had the final fight itself. You got to pick the order of which your playable characters would be used during the four phases of the battle. If someone died during a phase and was still unconscious at the end of said phase, they would be replaced by the next character in the list at the start of the next phase. The music, Dancing Mad, is a very popular theme and rightfully so. It was very well done, with how each of the four parts transitions so well into the next much like the phases of the fight. The third part is my personal favorite part of the song, although the last against Kefka himself is awesome too.

Epic conclusion to a great game, and very ahead of its time considering this was released back in 1995.

SNES: Super Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi Part 2

Flying out of the Death Star as it explodes from within, with the Millennium Falcon

The game isn't over once you defeat The Emperor. You still have to attack the Death Star. Going in? That's easy. Coming out? A monumental pain in the ass. If, IF you hit any part of the Death Star with the Falcon as you're trying to fly out, forget it. You're done. The Falcon will lose its momentum, the flames will catch up with you, and the Falcon will explode in a matter of seconds. Hell, if you slightly tap any part of the Death Star with the Falcon, there's a chance you won't make it out alive.

It's a lot easier said than done, but you have to fly PERFECTLY straight to give yourself the best chances of getting out alive and beating the game. I have no shame in saying I've beat this stage plenty of times on blind luck alone (including the first time).

That level was IMPOSSIBLE. Return of the Jedi is the one and only game where I gave up on the final level. For the life of me I could not do it.

Ghaleon - Lunar Silver Star

[YOUTUBE]DrvVsLH76eQ[/YOUTUBE]

Ghaleon from Lunar Silver Star might just be my very favorite final boss. The music is nothing short of epic, and it was an extremely challenging fight. It made you use every single member of the party, if even one of them died then you were in big trouble. Nash's thunder spells or using his agility to have him use a healing item on a weak party member, Mia's buffs to everyone followed by her fire spells, Jessica healing everyone CONSTANTLY "Althena lend me your power!", while Kyle and Alex relentlessly attack Ghaleon. Each round you're hit with a barrage of deadly spells of Ghaleon's as he taunts you saying "Time to die....!". Unlike many final bosses in video games, Ghaleon truly made you appreciate the role each party member played and it truly felt like you earned it when you got to view the ending for this game.

Dark King - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

An absolute joke, but memorable nonetheless. Check the spoiler tag to see why this is quite possibly the easiest final boss in RPG history.

Just have both Benjamin and Phoebe cast Cure each round. It will do over 10,000 damage each time. For some reason this does ridiculous amounts of damage not seen anywhere else in the whole game.

House 4 - Home Alone SNES

This is a weird one, but another I look back on as a memorable final level. You had to gather all of the family's pets and throw them down into the basement. You did stuff this in all of the other stages.... Jewelry, toys, and electronics in the previous stages made sense to throw down into the vault, but pets....? Odd. Once you got down there, you had to fight the final boss, you'd think it would be Harry and Marv given the movie's storyline, but no it was something entirely different.

The final boss of Home Alone on the SNES version was a huge rat.

Granted the other bosses were bats, a spider, and a ghost, but it should have been Harry and Marv in the last level. A strange last level in a strange but fun game.

Dark Bowser - Bowser's Inside Story

[YOUTUBE]Ckxy-i7Dc5U[/YOUTUBE]

Of course we can't forget the greatest final boss music ever written. The battle against Dark Bowser is just as epic as the song makes it out to be. Bowser stole the show during the entire game and the same can be said for in this fight. Having him use his Magikoopa summon or Broggy for tons of damage is quite fun, and then there's the attack Dark Bowser does that makes Bowser have to avoid several dark versions of classic Mario Bros enemies almost like a short little level in the style of the old games. Then once Dark Bowser himself is unconscious Mario and Luigi take over inside of Bowser to fight the Core of the Dark Star. VERY enjoyable final boss battle regardless of how good the music is.

Super Metroid

The death of the Metroid, the final battle itself, the hyper beam, escaping in the same manner as the original NES version; everything about the final boss and ending of this game made it more than worth playing.

[youtube]1Wxc33w7kPo[/youtube]

Assassin's Creed II

The Pope

Just think about that for a second. The final boss is The Pope. You may know him as the guy from TV, the newspaper, and his popular Popemobile Tour. The last guy you fight in the game is the guy that hundreds of millions of Catholics from around the world look to.

It's easily the most interesting battle in the game as it involves aspects that are totally new to the game: and in that you can see the true genius of the battle. As far as I can remember, this is where you first truly see some of the more mystical aspects of the game. The boss fight leads you into a vault where you are greeted by Minerva, a spectral being that will reveal the amazing and fantastic truths of the origin of Earth.

This is a battle that simultaneously tests your combat abilities while opening your eyes to the unbelievable powers at play in your Assassin's Creed journey. It is during the battle with the Pope that you realize this is more than some blood feud between Templars and Assassins, and this is more than just a war for power: this was a war for the fate of the entire world.

From a less metaphysical perspective, it's also the only boss fight that Ezio refuses to kill his slain opponent. He lets The Pope escape alive, saying that he's done enough killing for his lifetime. When this battle begins, Ezio still hasn't accepted that being an Assassin is something you do for life. He thinks that these are tools he acquired to reach the end of his journey, and he thinks this is it. But after this battle when he learns the incredible nature of the world in which he lives, Ezio finally accepts his fate as an Assassin. He finally accepts that nothing is true, and everything is permitted... even if that means killing The Pope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back