XFL 2: Electric Boogaloo

Dan Severn's Moustache

Patent Pending
It's happening. Vinnie Mac is throwing his hat in the American football ring once again. I think this might be a bigger flop than the first effort from all I've heard.

Triple H just sitting back inching closer to control of the entire company.

Smartest man in the history of wrestling.

I don't know. He could actually do well if he played the long game, but knowing Vince's entire track record he'll never want to be number 2 even if he could make good money and sell out decently sized crowds. Will probably hotshot it to death based on his body of business venture failures, but you never know I guess. Cool, he's like 70+ and is just doing this though. Pretty sweet to be that old and be able to do crazy shit like this still.

He seems determined to start a football league, Personally I would prefer to see him put his effort into his wrestling product which is what he can do best as his football track record isn't too great but who knows.

I like his spirit for it. I watched the 30 for 30 about the XFL and you could tell that he loved it. Sport, football, TV and media have come a long, long way since 2001. Vine has been, and always will be, an innovator first and foremost. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he gets on. I sincerely hope he has learned his lessons from the first season though. He also needs to find a broadcaster willing to give it a shot.

However, I do think there is room for a competitor to the NFL, of course there is. If he keeps his feet on the ground and concentrates on making it focused, people will watch. It'll also be interesting to see if he uses the WWE Network to show some games. Probably not, since the two are supposed to be separate. But he could use the same servers etc to get his own streaming service.

Who knows.

He should make it Arena Football, there's no way in hell he's going to come close to making a dent vs NFL. Might as well set the goals realistically. He'd probably not set the Arena Football world on fire either.

That new No Criminals rule though. So Extreme.

Do football fans really care about criminal records? Honestly.

The original XFL gets a lot of due shit, and was a financial disaster, but I think there were some good ideas there that could have been refined into something salvageable. It could have been something similar to ECW back in the 90s; going against the grain culturally, innovating with new technology and making new American football stars, but still humble enough to be its own thing.

The problem is, as Pika touched on, is that Vince doesn't like being any other position but first. He'll declare a war against the NFL and lose again like he did in 2001. Vince doesn't have a good track record when it comes to taking on competitors larger than him, just look at the WBF. Even the expansion of the WWF was on the back of a dying territory scene, and he had a huge headstart against WCW.

Unless Vince plays this more wisely, a failure would create opportunity in the wrestling industry from the fallout. Vince was lucky that the XFL failed the first time at probably the safest and most secure period in his company's history following WCW's demise.

Yes, the XFL will be totally focused on football and family friendly unlike the NFL. The horrors of people kneeling during the anthem is just too much for children to take. Totally makes me lose focus during the game because kneeling is worse than Hitler. Unless the criminals in football have committed something like murder (Ray Lewis), then I don't really care all that much.

The NFL doesn't need a developmental league. College does that and the game is way too hard on the body to waste extra time developing.

I really hope this isn't the reason we don't have pyro now.

Vince was lucky that the XFL failed the first time at probably the safest and most secure period in his company's history following WCW's demise.

Eh, not really true. They were financially healthy back then and now. Record revenue for a good amount of years in a row. Not net profit but they are making money consistently (excluding the network launch year due to the startup costs of that). WWE is healthy. TV contract plays a large role in that. So it could fail again and they should be completely fine.

Eh, not really true. They were financially healthy back then and now. Record revenue for a good amount of years in a row. Not net profit but they are making money consistently (excluding the network launch year due to the startup costs of that). WWE is healthy. TV contract plays a large role in that. So it could fail again and they should be completely fine.

It is true that they are generally secure right now, but a failure on a similar magnitude to the original XFL could create a negative multiplier for someone else to capitalise on. I'm not talking WCW level competition, but something that could easily dwarf TNA, ROH and New Japan (in the west at least).

I can see it being more successful overseas if it fastens play. Also the family friendly aspect could work too (although i dont see how the nfl isnt family friendly) which would be ironic considering that business the biggest success in wrestling history and the subtle decline its taken since changing has been at the time when wwe was not family friendly

It’s definately going to be more successful than it was last time. I’m looking forward to it mainly because I didn’t see how it went last time. I watched like 2 plays on YouTube before and it seemed good just without the star players. To start off the match is weird but it’s a good weird. More effort will be put into this and I like how Vince is asking for suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back