WZCW Discussion Thread

Yaz is gonna shoot brothers.

So real talk, when that RP was posted, it was bad, but it wasn't "OMG BURN HIM AT THE STAKE AND SET FIRE TO HIS UNBORN CHILDREN BAD!"

The staff talked it over and we decided as a collective that the best option was to delete the RP, tell him he went over the line, but welcome him to tone it down and try again.

But then, Haiku happened.

As much as I loved Haiku, he let his emotions get the best of him and threatened to quit unless we punished him. It really was only Haiku who spoke out and demonized the RP.

Was it bad? Yeah, but nothing that couldn't be handled with a stern talking and a do over. It has been blown way out of proportion because of one man's overreaction.

Haiku was/is awesome, but I think he was emotionally attached to the situation. He worked with females who had been abused, particularly sexually. It's interesting because other than that, he seemed to be more on the Encyclopedia Dramatica train of thought when it came to internet conversation, and I mean that in the best way.

I know the veterans on the forum are jumping on the whole anti-social justice bandwagon, which I fully agree with politically, but that Stratton RP I maintain was horrendous. Not "We need to ban him from the fed-worthy", especially since it was his first try, so I get that Haiku overreacted, but horrendous because it was an attempt at making a controversial RP and it failed horribly. An RP I distinctly remember because it was one of the first I read was Harthan's (Drake Callahan) RP for the Lethal Lottery he won. It was a culmination, a crescendo that had been built up, and it was extremely well-written. It was shocking, and it was brilliant.

Stratton's RP was just dark and vulgar for the sake of being dark and vulgar. Darkness and vulgarity are great tools if used correctly, and it took me a while to really get used to using the former back when I was writing Fallout, and I didn't really use the latter much at all. But when someone uses them for the sake of using them, or to use it as a crutch, is what really grinds my gears.

Yaz is gonna shoot brothers.

So real talk, when that RP was posted, it was bad, but it wasn't "OMG BURN HIM AT THE STAKE AND SET FIRE TO HIS UNBORN CHILDREN BAD!"

The staff talked it over and we decided as a collective that the best option was to delete the RP, tell him he went over the line, but welcome him to tone it down and try again.

But then, Haiku happened.

As much as I loved Haiku, he let his emotions get the best of him and threatened to quit unless we punished him. It really was only Haiku who spoke out and demonized the RP.

Was it bad? Yeah, but nothing that couldn't be handled with a stern talking and a do over. It has been blown way out of proportion because of one man's overreaction.

I feel like I was around for this because I remember his Wolf of Wallstreet inspired RPs... but I've either completely forgotten about this RP or it went right over my head because I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Did Bratton rape a chick? Because that's terrible. I only killed people.

While we're shooting...

Why is it controversial to kill people in-RP? It's not like wrestling is full of characters that have gone that extra mile before. People die. This is all super duper fake. Movies, tv shows, hell even children's cartoons cover this. But here it's something that gets brought up every time we talk about bad RPs. What's so awful about an evil monster character taking out a guy or two? I can see why it would suck if done excessively, but so would every other thing. I don't see the hate.

While we're shooting...

Why is it controversial to kill people in-RP? It's not like wrestling is full of characters that have gone that extra mile before. People die. This is all super duper fake. Movies, tv shows, hell even children's cartoons cover this. But here it's something that gets brought up every time we talk about bad RPs. What's so awful about an evil monster character taking out a guy or two? I can see why it would suck if done excessively, but so would every other thing. I don't see the hate.

I was told because it takes away from the idea that these are wrestlers that are performing on television and murdering people wouldn't go over with a prmotion. I didn't technically murder cops, they survived the explosion off camera.

While we're shooting...

Think it's because of the weight of its abuse as well as the logistics behind it. One quick phone-call and Ministry Undertaker ends up in a prison cell.

I feel like I was around for this because I remember his Wolf of Wallstreet inspired RPs... but I've either completely forgotten about this RP or it went right over my head because I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Did Bratton rape a chick? Because that's terrible. I only killed people.

lol

He never raped anyone. He did get a little grabby with a stripper and had her deep throat a roll of hundreds to humiliate her, but there was no rape rape. Rape rape sounds weird, but there was no like penetration. If it had been flat out rape, it would have been handled much more seriously.

One of the issues was that it was around the same time that he did that RP, Drake Callahan won a World Title with an RP in which he hit a woman. Flat out threw a right hook and knocked her out. People were a bit iffy on that, but it was accepted that since Callahan had been a long established character and wasn't known for that type of writing that they got a little more leeway.

While we're shooting...

I was told because it takes away from the idea that these are wrestlers that are performing on television and murdering people wouldn't go over with a prmotion. I didn't technically murder cops, they survived the explosion off camera.

On this one, Jeff is pretty much on the button. We do allow some level of absurdity but we try to keep the fed (mostly) grounded in reality. Killing people would be kind of hard to get away with.

That said, I do think the fed has evolved over the years. Any sort of violence in an RP when I first joined up was basically taboo. It got to a point to where some killing could be okay, so long as it wasn't graphic and the killing had purpose. Take Vega since Infinity was nice enough to crack a joke on himself. If you are a secret agent, it would make some sense that people might die in the RP. The reason it kind of came as a shock was because he did it so early in his tenure with Vega. Fair or unfair, guys who are more established get more leeway on stuff like that. My rule of thumb when I was a high ranking creative member is if you want to include something like that, just ask us and typically I would push for it to be allowed.

That said, Angel killed an orphan once and that is never okay.

It is if the orphan's name is Damien...

But nah I get what you guys are saying. If Batti killed a guy, that'd be way too uncharacteristic. But if I were using some super soldier or monster, I wouldn't see it as that awful. But asking permission sounds like the way to go so fair enough.

My first character wrote an RP where I murdered the person who I previously had a match with, and the person who wrote the character quit/left the fed. It was done completely out of character... and I still have no idea what that character's gimmick was supposed to be. Changed every week. That was an example of killing someone being bad in literature.

Also, I remember Drake Callahan's World title RP being the culmination of weeks of build-up where hitting a woman "made sense" from a storyline perspective. It was written "tactfully" at the time that creative believed he should win; however, I will say that when I was on creative there were some RP's where I questioned why that particular character won with that particular RP. There are a couple of RP's I remember voting for that, in hindsight, I shouldn't have voted for but at the time it made sense.

I feel you. Sometimes my mood could influence my voting. Maybe one day I was super depressed and any comedy RP was just not hitting marks for me. I also tried to limit it, but say a low card character wrote a better than average RP for them when facing a high card guy, I might be more inclined to vote for the lower guy based on them improving.

Y’all are more than welcome to maim, dismember, or straight up kill Vox. I’ll just have him come back wearing a bandaid or something.

On this one, Jeff is pretty much on the button. We do allow some level of absurdity but we try to keep the fed (mostly) grounded in reality. Killing people would be kind of hard to get away with.

That said, I do think the fed has evolved over the years. Any sort of violence in an RP when I first joined up was basically taboo. It got to a point to where some killing could be okay, so long as it wasn't graphic and the killing had purpose. Take Vega since Infinity was nice enough to crack a joke on himself. If you are a secret agent, it would make some sense that people might die in the RP. The reason it kind of came as a shock was because he did it so early in his tenure with Vega. Fair or unfair, guys who are more established get more leeway on stuff like that. My rule of thumb when I was a high ranking creative member is if you want to include something like that, just ask us and typically I would push for it to be allowed.

That said, Angel killed an orphan once and that is never okay.

I remember when I was told to cut it out I was internalizing a lot of disappointment with the hypocrisy of creative because I saw plenty of questionable content in RPs every week, but they were all coming from established characters. However, to be fair I actually never got in trouble because killing was "unrealistic for wrestling." I was spoken to because my death scenes were pretty straight forward and somewhat graphic at times. I still killed a lot of people throughout my RPs. That's when I got a bit more creative with it and had a lot of the deaths be implied, happen off screen, or take place in other ways besides guns.

I understand why some people can see killing in RPs as a negative, I myself probably haven't executed some of Vega's killings (pun intended) as well as I could have... but ultimately I see this as a competition in creative writing, and in being so I would lean towards more freedom in the actions of a character. I would say for the most part the members of creative weren't holding Vega's killing against me. But that was 4-5 years ago, and I have no idea how this creative team would react to it.

Killing is unrealistic for wrestling? Tell that to the fans in Cleveland who rioted because they thought they were watching Ox Baker legitimately "kill a man" with his heart punch.

Barbosa and SHIT should have probably died a few times over in their matches. And that was before they were blown up with c4.

Fat Wasabi Toyota would definitely have died from the Doppelganger (Awful Waffle) Barbosa gave him off a ladder

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back