WWE's Top 10 Matches Of 2017 (So Far)

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
With the first 6 months of 2017 in the history books, it's that time of the year in which WWE names its top 10 matches from the first half of the year:

10. WWE Raw (March 6, 2017): WWE Cruiserweight Championship - Neville vs. Rich Swan

9. WWE SD Live (June 27, 2017): Women's Money in the Bank Ladder Match

8. 205 Live (February 7, 2017): Fatal Fourway Elimination Match - Cedric Alexander vs. Jack Gallagher vs. TJ Perkins vs. Mustafa Ali

7. WWE Raw (May 29, 2017): Singles Match - Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins

6. WWE Raw (February 20, 2017): Singles Match - Big Show vs. Braun Strowman

5. WrestleMania XXXIII (April 2, 2017): Singles Match - Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles

4. WWE Raw (May 1, 2017): Triple Threat Intercontinental Championship #1 Contender's Match - Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins vs. The Miz

3. Royal Rumble (January 29, 2017) : WWE Championship - AJ Styles vs. John Cena

2. NXT TakeOver: Orlando (April 1, 2017): NXT Tag Team Championship Triple Threat Elimination Match - The Authors of Pain vs. #DIY vs. The Revival

1. NXT TakeOver: Chicago (May 20, 2017): WWE United Kingdom Championship - Tyler Bate vs. Pete Dunne

The CW Championship match on Raw was one of the handful of CW matches to happen on Raw that didn't feel like filler.

The 2nd Women's MITB match was good, but not a top 10 in my opinion. I thought Asuka vs. Nikki Cross in a Last Woman Standing match from last week was far superior.

The #1 contender's Fatal Fourway match among the Cruiserweights was good but I thought Neville vs. Aries at WrestleMania was a better choice.

Reigns vs. Rollins was a great match, but I dunno that I'd put it in the top 10. For me personally, I'd have probably gone with Nakamura vs. Roode at NXT TakeOver: San Antonio.

I don't know if Show vs. Strowman was a top 10 match, but it was surprisingly very good and maybe that surprise is enough to put it over the top.

I'd have to take Shane vs. AJ out and substitute put the NXT Tag Team Championship triple threat match in it's spot while the #2 spot I'd give to either Styles vs. Cena at the Royal Rumble or the AOP vs. #DIY for the titles in a ladder match at TakeOver: Chicago.

The Triple Threat IC title #1 contender's match with Balor, Rollins & Miz is a definite top 10, probably the best TV match of WWE this year thus far, in my opinion.

Bate vs. Dunne was nothing short of spectacular. While some have raved about Okada vs. Omega, I thought Bate & Dunne did just as much, maybe even a bit more, with one third or one fourth the amount of time of either the Okada vs. Omega matches.

I can't say I remember half of these matches with absolute clarity but I know Show/Strowman wasn't that good. Surprising yes, but it was nowhere near the top 10 matches of the year. I would absolutely include AJ/Shane as I felt it was definitely among the most entertaining fights of the year and probably the show-stealer of this year's Wrestlemania. I would even go so far as to put it above the triple threat match at number 4.

Can't argue with the top 3. I'm surprised a Takeover main event didn't make it on the list.

I think part of it is how the crowd was reacting during the match; whether they liked and appreciated what they were seeing. That's why I think Big Show vs. Braun Strowman is appropriate for this list. Considering how surprisingly good it was, and that the crowd recognised this, it really makes me think it deserves it's spot. I would argue that a good crowd makes a moment or match that much bigger and better. I think that applies here.

I agree with the top three, although I'm finding it hard to seperate the top two matches. The UK Championship match truly was fantastic and I was so happy for them to have received the credit that they deserve. Equally though, the NXT Tag Team Championship match was awesome. The crowd was awesome, the action was awesome. I'm happy with either of them being 1 and the other 2. I think it really says something that the top two matches are from NXT. It's just my opinion but I think these two are the undisputed best of the year so far and that really mirrors the successes that NXT have been having, especially when it's product is compared to the main roster.

The only match I think is missing is the Elimination Chamber match from February for the WWE Championship. The redefined structure looked fantastic and the competitors really put in a strong effort to have a really good match. I think I'd rank it quite highly in the history of Elimination Chamber matches. Other than that, it's a decent list, although most of these matches will be forgotten by the end of the year.

When even WWE thinks that matches in developmental are superior then main event matches.

Most of them are just OK. And as others have said just more surprising that they weren't garbage. No way some of them could count as "5 star matches". And am not talking on Meltzer standards but even just normal IWC standards.

The Last Woman Standing match and the Fatal Five Way match at Extreme Rules is missing for me. Dunne Vs. Bate was indeed one of the best matches. AJ Styles Vs. Shane McMahon was unexpectedly good. Also missing is Elimination Chamber match.

I'm expecting a couple of more in form of AJ Styles Vs. Kevin Owens and either of them facing Nakamura at Summerslam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back