WWE: The New York Sub-Regional

Certainly an intersting looking top half. The thoughts of a Brody Foley match in a hardcore environment are amazing, but alas it's a region with Rules. Foley suddenly doesn't look to be a lock in this thing anymore. The potential of a match with a legend like Rikidozan in the 2nd round could knock him out before he really gets going.

Jake is pushing hard for Rick Rude to make a run in this tournament, and he very well could. Brody has a following, but I think Rude has a larger following, and if Rikidozan does knock out Foley, Rude could go on a run.

Snuka and Warrior could be a decent match, but I'm hoping the Warrior goes home in round one to whomever, hell a sponge soaking water was more entertaining then that guy. Orton really lucks out with a potential match with Benjamin. Benjamin is a dark favorite on these boards, but he's running into a guy potentially that's coming off a huge Wrestlemania. This very well could be Randy Orton's region to lose. At this point, it looks like Orton is the favorite.

A Foley vs. Rude match would certainly be interesting. to see those two go at would make me wonder exactly how the match would play out. I think Rude is a guy that because of the Hogan Factor never got as big as he could. And Foley will have a good following too and i'm sure someone is gonna base their argument on him falling off the Cell back in 98. You acnt tell me him surviving that puts him in a position to go over Rude. Rude was underrated in my opinion and should make it through the top part of this bracket.

As for the bottom half, i have three letters, R-K-O. The new Randy Orton is more focused than ever before and the man clearly has the talent to go a long way in this tournament. He takes pride in not only beating legends but Killing them, and in this region i think he is going to do just that and win this subregion.

Randy Orton is making it out of New York.

Rikidozan? Who is this? I've never heard of this name before, and apparently if he's made this tournament he's well known to several people. So I need someone to fill me in on this individual's overall career. Thank You.

Moving on. Mick Foley didn't need the hardcore environment to survive, but it certainly helped. As far as the "hometown advantage" you need to throw that shit out the window. It's New York. (regardless where IN New York) They don't care if you're from there if you suck to them, which means if they feel anyone else is better than Foley.. they'll boo Foley and cheer for whoever else.

I still stand by what I said. This isn't a tournament of "Well, I didn't like him". It's a tournament of "The best Wrestler" assumably in their prime. And the Ultimate Warrior, in his prime, was UNTOUCHABLE. Sure he sucked, and yes his promos were very out there and well over half the time not even understandable. But the guy won matches. End of story.

Shelton Benjamin would be better off if this bracket were TNA. But, it's not. His athleticism will do nothing against Orton. He's got enough to win a match, so he shouldn't go home crying.

Snuka is only remembered for the splash, but hopefully there will be enough fans to get him going, and push him over Warrior. I don't think it'll happen, but even if he does, Orton takes the bottom half in a walk.

I've heard a lot about Rikidozan, and see his name mentioned a lot as the guy who trained, and worked with Inoki, as well as a number of other Japanese wrestlers. That should be enough to push him past Foley in a WWE Bracket, but I don't think it'll be close when it comes down to Rick Rude.

The finals, as everyone else has said, should be Rude .v Orton, and I think it'll be another legend taken out by the RKO.

I am throwing my lot in with the Ultimate Warrior, once again it comes down to what he did. If anyone in this is overrated it's Shelton Benjamin, I mean he's supposed to be more talented than Warrior, the only problem, no one gives a shit. Shelton loses to almost everyone in this thing. That includes Foley, Warrior and especially Rick Rude.

Orton and Rude are Warriors biggest threats, Orton is the legend killer but I cant help but think that the RKO = No Sell. Followed by the Ultimate Slam and Splash. Orton couldnt beat a tired old Hulk Hogan, Warrior did it in his prime. Rude is a personal favourite of mine and I'd push for him to do well against either guy, but I cant really see him edging out Orton, he'll probably beat Warrior because of the hate he recieves. It's a shame but there you go.

The 2 favourites here in my opinion are Orton and Foley. But we know, when it comes to crunch time, Orton can beat Foley.

So I'm picking Orton here. Though there are a few dark horses, like the Warrior...
Although, for some strange reason i wanna see Shelton vs Warrior. Shelton would run rings around him, but if Warrior caught shelton, Shelton would be screwed.

Orton/Benjamin would be a great match that would favor Orton slightly. All in all I see Randy winning this region after a hard-fought contest against Foley.

Talk about discounting The Ultimate Warrior, he'd make mincemeat of Orton or Foley. He made a career out of beating evil caniving heels, Orton would RKO him as many times as Savage elbow dropped him, Warrior would still no sell and beat him.

The only problem Foley would give him is he might be too fat to lift. But he'd soon beat him down for the 1,2,3. Then he'd cut a promo about the starship going into space or whatever, or he might do that first.

Do the right thing and vote for Ultimate Warrior.

I love Mick Foley I really do, but I cant see him beating the Ultimate Warrior. Warrior was great inside the ring and no one in this sub region can touch him. He'd destroy the overrated Benjamin and probably beat Orton is convincing fashion. If this was an ECW arena I would take Mick, but it isn't. The Warrior did everything in the E, he's beaten the best and he should win this sub region. It's a shame no one on this board likes him, and I'll be shocked if he makes it through to round two, let alone the finals.

There's a lot of good match-ups here, and the potential for a few surprises.

I've said all along, that Foley shouldn't have a chance in this bracket, and I may be proven right. DiBiase Jr. may not be the greatest wrestler ever, and is certainly new to the ring, but he's better than Foley. In a different environment, Foley might have the edge, but I think DiBiase may be pulling off the "upset" of the 1st Rd.

Rikidozan v. Sabin should be a great match to debate. I know a fair amount about Sabin, and have read a bit on Rikidozan, and am still a little torn on who my pick would be. Sabin is probably the favorite, considering he's still an active wrestler, and has a moveset that would wow most fans. If he can stay a move ahead of Riki, he could win easily.

That'd set up DiBiase Jr. v. Sabin in the 2nd Rd., and who knows what would happen there. Sabin would have my vote, but it could go either way.

Rude v. The Barbarian just screams foregone conclusion to me. Rude was mentioned by a few people as being the man to beat in the top half, and now, for all we know, he could get seriously injured before he gets out of the blocks. I'm still predicting a Rude win, but it's a little closer now.

Ultimate Warrior v. Kevin Sullivan is a match that needs to happen in hell. To see the Warrior against the Taskmaster would just be classic. Warrior was definitely high energy, high power, but was his own worst enemy, in and out of the ring. Having met Sullivan, I know firsthand the ring smarts he has, and the number of moves he can do to hurt someone. I saw him make a guy cry with just a full nelson. He knows how to work the body, and knows how to win. His downfall here, may be that he'll be remembered more as a manager than as a wrestler. I think I'll stick with Warrior winning, but that could easily change by the time the voting is open.

13. "Ravishing" Rick Rude

:icon_neutral: This is my unimpressed face. If I'm right, which I probably aren't. It's a first round match between two of the greatest wrestlers of the 80's and early 90's. ''Ravishing'' Rick Rude and The Warlord. I for one cannot participate in that thread. It's like Sophie's Choice for me.

I'll look up some info on Choshu before making my final vote, but I don't think it'll really matter. Orton will win, and it won't be pretty. If it's not the punt, it'll be the RKO. He's strong and fast, and has enough of a mean streak to just beat up Riki.

There's no way an upset would happen here, especially with Orton's fanbase.

Randy Orton is still my favorite in this region. He has the combo of speed, strength, athletic ability, a mean streak and endurance to go with anyone in this region. He is the Legend Killer because he likes to end legends, well what better way to get to do that then in this tournament filled with them. We all know a motivated Orton is something special, far more special than anyone in this region, and when he is stairing down a legend in the ring, he will do whatever it takes to beat them to prove his Legacy.

28. "The Gold Standard" Shelton Benjamin
37. Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake

It's almost creepy how Beefcake lands in a match with one of the guys that Jake despises.

Shelton is good in the ring, but is the epitome of over-rated. If he was as good as he's made out to be, he'd show it. Beefcake wasn't exactly a wizard in the ring, but he was definitely better than Shelton. I wish we could see the match end in a haircut, but Shelton doesn't have enough hair...

21. Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
44. Nigel McGuinness

The ROH fans must be furious. First, Danielson lands in a first round match with Cena. Now, McGuiness lands here, against Snuka.

Snuka should, and hopefully will, win this handily. He was too good in the ring to lose to a career indy guy.

In a straight up wrestling match, Dibiase Jr. should beat Mick Foley but he picked a bad opponent at the worst time. I believe Foley legendary status and DiBiase not proving much yet may get Foley past him but I don't see Foley making it to the finals.

Rick Rude and Randy Orton are the best of this category. I am a Foley fan here, but he is at best third out of this group of wrestlers. Rude should win, hands down. He had everything that Orton has today, other than a World title to prove it, but he never even had a shot at Hogan. Rick Rude was THE best performer in WWF in the late 80's, Warrior was really only moved up to main event because Rude made it look like he could work for longer than 10 minutes.

If you don't feel comfortable looking too far ahead in the WWE Regional section, come in here to breakdown this sub bracket.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: New York, NY
4. Mick Foley
61. Ted DiBiase Jr.

29. Rikidozan
36. Chris Sabin

52. The Warlord

20. Bruiser Brody
45. Wahoo McDaniel

5. "The Legend Killer" Randy Orton
60. Riki Choshu

12. The Ultimate Warrior
53. "The Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan

44. Nigel McGuinness

Mick Foley gets an excellent draw for the first couple rounds. He's facing an unproven rookie in round one that is only over based on his fathers name. Foley will eat DiBiase Jr. alive in the ring. He'll face the winner of Rikidozan and Chrsi Sabin. In a just world, Rikidozan goes over Sabin, who maybe one of the most over rated boring wrestlers I have ever watched. The guy is as dull as a butter knife, but he's from Hell, so he's cool. Regardless, Foley dominates either man.

Rick Rude will have no problem with the Santino Marella of the 80's. The Warlord, just, what was with this guy? Brody vs. McDaniel is a matchup that only old schoolers will give a damn about, which is a shame, but I'll go Brody over McDaniel. Rude should have no problem taking down either man from that match. Brody was probably better, but I have a hard time thinking he's more well known then Rick Rude.

Randy Orton dominates whoever the guy is from japan that has the misfortune of drawing the Legend Killer in round 1. Jake is campaigning hard for Beefcake to get past Benjamin, and I'm almost inclined to agree with him. Essentially, both guys are known for being a guy that beat someoent hat was better then them, that's about it. Both lose to Randy Orton in round two.

In a wonderful world, Kevin Sullivan goes over the Ultimate Warrior in round 1, but unfortunately the Warrior still has his fair share of lemmings that will follow him to the bitter end of irrelevance. Jimmy Snuka should go over Nigel McGuinness, but the ROH crew could come out and swing the match Nigel's way. Unfortunately, the Ultimate Warrior moves on from this little bracket.

Round 3 looks to be Foley vs. either Rude or Brody, and Foley should win that eventual matchup. Orton, depending on if he's the cool heel that leaves Mania with the championship, should beat the Warrior in round 3, setting up Mick Foley and Orton in round 4, which depending on the stip could go either way.

TM's Predictions and hopes in the New York Sub-Regional

4. Mick Foley
61. Ted DiBiase Jr.

Althought this is wrestling 101, and Mic Foley is not a true matt wrestler, Mick has the huge advantage here. He is a 3 time WWE Champion, and you don't get to that level without some skill. He is a fan favourite, especially in New York and will feed off of the fan. Although Ted seems to do well now adays in wrestling, he isn't that good as far as I can see. Mick will win this division.

29. Rikidozan
36. Chris Sabin

Here is a neat matchup. Although many voters will walk in not knowing a lot of Rikidozan, he is up againt a guy who hasn't reached the big stages in the WWE himself. I am sure it will be one of the least popular match ups, but I am kind of hoping that Rikidozan goes over here, but am unsure of who will actually get the roll up.

52. The Warlord

This should be over quickly for the surfboard abbed Rick Rude. He is up against one of the biggest flops in combat sports/entertainment since Sliced Kimbo. Warlord will come at Rude with a score to settle, and Rude will slice him down before he gets to the ring.

20. Bruiser Brody
45. Wahoo McDaniel

I am going to have to watch some Youtube on Wahoo McDaniel, because he came way to before my time, and I know a lot more about Brody. Brody has the advantage here, but I am just going to do some homework. Name bolded for future reference

60. Riki Choshu

The person I suspect will win this entire division, Randy Orton vs a non North American wrestler. How can I not put my money on him? Randy Orton is just dispictable in the ring, and will cut Choshu like a knife, which is no easy feet.

Upset alert right here. Hogan's friend was never the top wrestler, but he is a great talent. Shelton I assume will come in all cocky, and hit some flashing moves, but when it comes down to it over a long period of the match, Brutus will pull out the win.

12. The Ultimate Warrior

Squash, and to a talent such as Sullivan, that isn't an easy task. But when he is matched against the Warrior, he has no chance of a win, let alone getting some offense.

44. Nigel McGuinness

If the Indy guys wanted to do well in this tournament, they look to McGuinness. Too bad they have to compete against Jimmy Snuka at the gate. I am talking about the guy who dominated wrestling before most of us were alive. Just please don't bring his later work into this, because he became a shell of himself.

If you don't feel comfortable looking too far ahead in the WWE Regional section, come in here to breakdown this sub bracket.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: New York, NY
4. Mick Foley
61. Ted DiBiase Jr.

29. Rikidozan
36. Chris Sabin

52. The Warlord

20. Bruiser Brody
45. Wahoo McDaniel

60. Riki Choshu

12. The Ultimate Warrior

44. Nigel McGuinness

I'd have Foley going over Ted Jr. Ted is very good and all and I think he has a great future and all ahead of him. But Foley is a future Hall of Famer and a former WWF Champion. Ted ain't even in his league yet.

I'll admit I didn't know much about Rikodozan until I did some wikipedia research on him. He doesn't seem like much to me while Chris Sabin who is still going mind you. Has already accomplished more. Whether it be TNA,ROH,or Japan. Sabin has done a ton.

I can't find anything on the Warlord but from what I remember he wasn't great. Rude was a solid midcarder thoruoghout the 80's and 90's. I'd go with Rude based off name value.

Bruiser Brody here. The only big thing McDaniel has ever done is beat Ric Flair like one time. Brody has a laundry list of accomplishments and was huge in the territorys in the south. Texas in particular.

Randy Orton in a landslide over Riki. Orton is only 28 years old and is the most dominant heel in the WWE today. Riki Choshu is not even close to Orton.

I'm gonna take Shelton Benjamin over Beefcake. Beefcake is kind of a joke to me. While Benjamin is a phenomenal athlete. Shelton could have gone farther in his career so far but I've heard he has a bad attitude. He's still had a great career so far.

Sullivan was a scary mother fucker. Warrior oodled charisma. But in a real fight I'd take Sullivan. He's crazy and one of the more underrated hardocre wrestlers ever. Warrior was strong but Sullivan would cut him up.

Snuka...definetly more than McGuiness. I'm sure some ROH mark will come in here screaming foul but it's obvious to me. Snuka is a huge legend and he's much more important than Nigel. If this was a wrestle around for 45 minutes match than I'd say Nigel. But since Snuka won't be rolling around with Nigel. I'll take superfly.

Round 1 Results:

Mick Foley vs. Ted DiBiase Jr. 40-9. Somehow a rookie managed to get 9 votes against a former 3 time world champion...

Rikidozan vs. Sabin: 26-5. The Japanese continue to do well in this tournament, doesn't hurt that Chris Sabin sucks.

Rick Rude vs. the Warlord: 34-1. As only Jake could describe it, this match was Sophie's Choice, not really.

Bruiser Brody vs. Wahoo McDaniel: 17-7. Obviously, it was a match that people just didn't know anything about either guy.

Orton vs. Choshu: 37-4. Randy Orton wins relatively easily, but now the question is, has Orton lost all sorts of momentum after a disasterous match at Mania???

Shelton Benjamin vs. Beefcake: 24-28. The Barber moves onto round 2, but I tend to wonder how this match would have gone post Mania.

Ultimate Warrior vs. Kevin Sullivan: 37-5 The Warrior no talents his way into round 2 with an impressive victory over the Taskmaster.

Snuka vs. McGuinness: 18-17. This ended up being a closer match the most thought, but the Superfly manages to get over a ROH strong name.

Round 2 Matches:
Long Island, NY

4. Mick Foley
29. Rikidozan

13. Rick Rude
20. Bruiser Brody

5. Randy Orton
37. Brutus Beefcake

12. The Ultimate Warrior
21. Jimmy Snuka

Round 2 Matches:
Long Island, NY

4. Mick Foley
29. Rikidozan
:Foley's going to have more of a fight on his hands with Rikidozan. Riki is basically the father of professional wrestling in Japan. He's as revered in Japan as any pro wrestler could ever hope to be. However, he never went up against anybody like Mick Foley in his career. While not a great wrestler technically, nobody can take a pounding like Foley. I think Foley could take anything he had to give and just keep coming back. He'd be pretty bloody and damn near out of it, but I give the win to Foley in this one.

13. Rick Rude
20. Bruiser Brody
:Rick Rude's character was great. Few heels could draw as much heat as Rick Rude could back in the mid to late 1980s. Even though he was one of the best built guys in the history of the business, he didn't simply rely on his look to get him by. He had some skill and was a good worker. Bruiser Brody was, quite honestly, probably the best brawler in the history of pro wrestling. There was nothing pretty or flashy about him, he was just a big and strong legitimate tough guy that took no shit from anybody. Back in May of 1986, these two actually had a feud down in World Class for the WCWA Television Championship with Brody getting the win and the title. History would repeat itself and Brody would simply beat Rude bloody.

5. Randy Orton
37. Brutus Beefcake
:Whether people like Randy Orton or not, he's proven himself in my eyes. One of the biggest heels in the industry right now. Orton did more in the first year of his career than Beefcake did in all twenty of his. Orton is a three time world champion, has headlined major pay per views and has had major feuds with the biggest stars in the industry today. All this and he's not even 30 yet. Beefcake was Hogan's flunky and carried his bags to and from his car for him. Orton has this in 3 minutes or less.

12. The Ultimate Warrior
21. Jimmy Snuka
:I personally don't like the Ultimate Warrior, I never have, not even when I was 8 and 9 years of age. I don't deny the guy had an amazing look and was as strong as a bull, but I feel he is the most overrated superstar in the business of the past 25 years.

Snuka had success in a number of territories and along the independent circuit as well. Snuka was exciting, agile, athletic and still has the best splash in wrestling history. I'm giving my vote to Snuka, though I'm not holding my breath that he'll get the votes he needs. We all know that Warrior beat Hogan and that's enough to trump almost anything unfortunately.

This is a prett yintersting set of matchups rightr here.

Mick Foley vs. Rikidozan is sure to bring the Japanese supporters out hardcore. Yes, Rikidozan is a legend of Japan, yes he's the Godfather of Japanese wrestling, but Rikidozan shouldn't beat Mick Foley.

Rick Rude vs. Bruiser Brody is essentially a toss up. You have a finesse, technical wrestler that was made fromt he same mold of a Tully Blanchard, up against one of the stiffest, roughest workers in the business. I can't make a pick here.

Randy Orton vs. Beefcake: This match probably will go to Orton, but Orton and his terrible wrestlemania performance has done him no favors. He simply proved he wasn't a main eventer, and I suspect that his poor several months will now begin to hurt him.

Warrior vs. Snuka: While I'm mmore of a Snuka fan, I will be voting for teh Madman.

Round 2 Results:

Foley vs. Rikidozan: 20-13. Not much to say about this match. This match kinda faded away into the background and went mostly ignored. The godfather of Japanese wrestling goes home early.

Rude vs. Brody: 24-11. Rick Rude moves onto round 3, dispensing of Brody in another match that went under the radar.

Randy Orton vs. Brutus Beefcake: 46-7. Th ecurrent WWE champion moves on with ease over the Booty Man.

Warrior vs. Snuka: 30-6. The Warrior does what he does best, and thtat's smash opponent with ease. Superfly goes home, Warrior moves on.

Round 3.
Long Island, NY

4. Mick Foley
13. Rick Rude

5. Randy Orton
12. Ultimate Warrior

4. Mick Foley
13. Rick Rude
Nice mesh of styles in this one. I truly think that part of the reason Rude got by Brody is that a lot of people on the site aren't familiar with Brody. But, that being said, I don't think Rude goes by Foley in this. I feel that Rude could give Foley a pretty good match, but I simply don't think Rude has anything in his arsenal that can keep Foley down. Something tells me a reverse neckbreaker won't get the pinfall here. If the match degenerates into a brawl, Rude's chances go down even less. If Rude can catch Foley with some sort of role up, hook the tights, grab onto the ropes or something, then he has a decent shot. Overall though, I give it to Foley.

5. Randy Orton
12. Ultimate Warrior

I can't say that I blame people for voting Warrior over Snuka, it was inevitable really. I can't make myself vote for Warrior in this bout either. I know it seems to be cool to bash Randy Orton but, like it or not, the guy is talented. Hands down, the most interesting feud in wrestling this year has been the one with Triple H and Orton even though I think the WWE has bungled things a bit here and there. Orton holds wins over some of the biggest and some of the best names in the business. And some of those wins have been from good matches. To me, the Warrior is the most overrated wrestler of the past 25 years. I can't say enough about how awful he was in the ring. Yeah, I know Hogan lost to the Warrior and Orton jobbed to Hogan a few years back. Warrior's match with Hogan was the best worked match either of them worked over the course of their careers. Two mediocre in ring talents managed to have a pretty good match. Vote RKO.

Two brilliant matches there. I guess I'll be on team Rude & Warrior. As much as I love Foley I just prefer Rude. Randy Orton, well, he doesn't win much really, does he. Certainly not against guys like The Warrior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back