• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Superstars - New Idea?

macksstream

First Australian WWE Champion
When I first learned of the concept of WWE Superstars, which is matches involving superstars from both Smackdown and RAW, I felt excited. Not because of more programing but because of something different. I'd formed the idea that it wasn't going to be 2 matches with RAW superstar vs RAW superstar and 2 with Smackdown superstars, but rather the matches were going to be interbrand matches. For example, having Primo vs Christian, or David Otunga vs Chris Masters.

So what do you think?
Would this idea have worked for the beginning, and if not, would it work if they changed it now?
Would this exposure help a lot of mid-card superstars?
Would this even help the Nexus assert their dominance against Smackdown superstars as well as RAW ones?

I might make it a little interesting but I don't seem them doing it since they film Superstars before Raw or Smackdown and not all the Raw guys are at the arena for tapings of smackdown and vice versa.

I would like to see Superstars used for one of three ways. One to build up upcoming talent i.e. Albert De Rio, Tyler Reks, etc. Second to strengthen a feud. If Bragging Rights has Randy Orton vs. Wade Barrett and Randy Orton wrestles a match on Raw. Then give Wade Barrett a chance to wrestle on Superstars to heighten the feud. Third if for example Natayla and LayCool are in a feud now then build up the next women who is in contention for the belt. That way if gives teh wrestlers going for a title shot more deserving of the title shot. I hate the concept now of just random matches that have no significance.

Superstars is missing an opportunity here. They could do a recap show. The previous week's Smackdown Highlights, followed by the current week's Raw highlights, a few interview segments, followed by one meaningful 10 minute (or more) match between guys who don't get enough t.v. time on either of the main shows. Make it something worth tuning in for. Further your feuds, and go old school. Treat it like it's real, the way they used to do back in the 80's and early 90's. I think that's the formula for success with Superstars. What they're doing right now is basically airing dark matches.

The problem is that some people only watch the main shows i.e Raw, SD and PPVs. These people don't watch superstars or NXT or, previously, ECW. So what I'm saying is: WWE can not have major incidents happen for a certain storyline or feud on Superstars or NXT, because then the fans who only watch major shows will lose track. Plus, I personally don't think that a win for a no.1 contender on superstars would give them the credibility or the push you think it would.
Maybe a lowcard or midcard storyline can be strengthened on superstars, and then have promos on raw and SD to tell the people who didn't watch what happened, but I think upper midcard and main event storylines should be preserved only on major shows.
p.s. I haven't watched a single episode of Superstars :D

If I recall correctly, the first matches on the modern iteration of Superstars were interbrand matches. In fact, I distinctly remember Matt Hardy (RAW) facing The Undertaker (Smackdown). I thought it would stay that way, but sadly it didn't.

I think that having low-card interbrand matches would be a great idea. Superstars could be continued to be used as a place for midcarders and below to strut their stuff, but now it could be used for potential post-draft or Bragging Rights feuds. It would be unique and fresh, and if they feature a commentator from RAW and a commentator from Smackdown they could really play up the "Brand rivalry" aspect, with each commentator gunning for "their" guy.

I'd like to see it.

It most likely would bring a minor bit of excitement back to the boring programming that is WWE Superstars. However, I don't think it would necessarily work. Superstars are usually to showcase the talent that rarely gets a bit of time on RAW and Smackdown, however it does also (In a rare case) help further feuds just a little bit.

If WWE starts to ignore the fact that it could be used more effectively by furthering feuds, actually becoming a proper programming, that doesn't just consist of mainly uninteresting, irrelevant wrestlers performing for an hours time or so on an uninteresting show. It would still be uninteresting and somewhat useless if we didn't use the time presented to actually do what matters, further storylines, make someone look great going into a title match etc.

Hell, there's possibilities of showcasing champions on there, let Bryan Danielson wrestle a match with someone, so that the feuds can be promoted without both wrestlers being involved (say Wade Barrett wrestles on Superstars, but they just promote the match, without letting Randy Orton make an appearance).

There's a lot of potential for Superstars, if used properly. However I doubt that this idea is the better move.

In all honesty, I don't think it'd take very much work for the WWE to make Superstars a relevant show. All it would take is some moderate effort to make the show seem like it fits in with the various storylines going on in the WWE.

Superstars does serve its purpose of being a platform for wrestlers that usually don't get all that much time on Raw or SmackDown!. The downside is that, a lot of the time, Superstars features wrestlers that are legitimately good but they don't get any screen time on the major shows. All four matches featured on the show last night were, at the very least, solid. The two Diva matches were quite good I thought and are, seriously, the best women's matches I've seen on television in quite some time. In all honesty, last night gave us a peek of really what the Divas could be about all the time if the company just put forth the effort. Curt Hawkins & Trent Baretta also put on a very good match and they're two young, athletic guys that aren't being used anywhere near their potential right now.

Honestly, I'd rather see some major stars brought to the show sometime. If the WWE used Raw & SmackDown! to possibly build up and advertise matches that'd be on Superstars, especially matches between big names, then I think it'd help the ratings and make the show much more relevant.

Under its current format, WWE Superstars is a throwaway show. It doesn't have any real importance or significance, but you honestly will see some good wrestling matches more often than not.

If only they could get a time slot on saturday morning like the old version of Superstars. After all this is the "PG era". It would allow for more kids to watch and they would be able to see more of the wrestlers that don't always get a chance on the big shows. Have better storylines and push the lower tier belts on the show by having one of them defened each week it would further fueds and let the kids bond better with guys other than just maineventers.

I remember hearing about Superstars, and their motto was "Expect ANYTHING" and then you see Undertaker vs Matt Hardy, and I was like "WOW...what a show...this will be amazing!!" then later come to find out its mostly the same midcard people that get stuck jobbing to others on the regular shows, but they get their own little platforms on Superstars. Every now and again you'd get thrown a bone or two, like the classic Y2J versus Yoshi Tatsu sometime ago which was a CLASSIC match in my opinion. I think WWE could be missing out on maybe using this to show either a focus on up and comers, or behind the scenes, ala a ReAction, but maybe a bit more $$$ since we know VKM would have more to work with, and each week have it alternate out one week Raw, or one week Smackdown, or maybe use it to show the FCW matches to the rest of the country who don't get that local channel that can watch those shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back