WWE Region, Third Round, Pure Rules Match: (4) Ricky Steamboat vs. (5) Edge

Who wins this match?

• Ricky Steamboat

• Edge

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the WWE Region. It is a Pure Rules match. It will be held at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. Assume one week has passed since the first round matches.

800px-TD_Banknorth_Garden_rainy.JPG

Pure Rules Match Rules: There are three specific rules to this match:

1. No closed punches to the face. Punches to the ribs are legal as are any other open hand strikes to the face. The use of a closed fist to the face will result in a warning. The second infraction will result in the loss of a rope break. The third will result in a disqualification.

2. Wrestlers have three rope breaks per match. If all three are used up, a pin or submission while in the ropes will not be broken up.

3. Wrestlers have a twenty count to return to the ring instead of ten.

rickydragon.jpg

#4. Ricky Steamboat

Vs.

220px-Edge_World_Heavyweight_Champ.jpg

#5. Edge

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This is Steamboat all the way here. Edge's nickname's the Ultimate Opportunist, which means he uses means of cheating, underhanded tactics to win his biggest matches. Most of his biggest wins came when he cashed in Money in the Bank or was in the Elimination Chamber.

Steamboat has wrestled in the NWA and in old-school title matches that had the 20 count, three rope break rules, and not being thrown over the top rope. Edge will eventually become frustrated, break too many of the rules and end up DQ'd or he'll end up being out wrestled by Steamboat.

Either way, it's a win for the Dragon.

Shut up Lariat. You don't get to the top of the wrestling tree without being a good wrestler, Edge got to the top and remained there, this match stipulation means dick and Edge moves on.

So, here we have one of the greatest performers of all time who was involved in arguably the greatest WWF match ever, the greatest WCW match ever, and put on a clinic against Chris Jericho at the age of 56 and about fifteen years after he retired.

On the other hand we have Edge, whose top three non-hardcore matches escape me for the moment, as it's hard to come up with three very good ones that didn't have weapons involved.

This is the perfect draw for Steamboat, as while Edge is indeed a smooth wrestler, Ricky Steamboat is one of the best in ring performers in wrestling history. If Steamboat can beat Randy Savage and Ric Flair in the late 80s, he can beat Edge and be out for coffee in no time.

Edge is a master of gimmick matches. They are what put him on the map in WWE, and odds are that when you think of a match Edge was in, it's a gimmick match. The issue for him is that this is the anti-gimmick match. A Pure match favors ring technicians, like Steamboat. The Dragon moves on.

Mm I'm torn, and I think it's for a reason I'll be ridiculed for.

Look, everyone knows Edge cheats to win a TON. Always finding little loopholes and tricks to exploit. He's had a very successful career, but kayfabe he really isn't that tough to beat - unless he can find his unique way to succeed.

So here, against a guy who for all his virtues in the ring isn't as accomplished a wrestler as Edge is, he's booked in a match that's seemingly impossible to cheat in.

Am I crazy for thinking this is exactly the type of match Edge would win somehow? Who books the favourite Edge in a match that restricts his mischief.. and then lets him job clean via no tomfoolery.

Like, even if he does manage to circumvent the rules to gain advantage, Steamboat is gonna be a tough guy to put away though - his two most famous wins were against a cheating, heel Savage and a cheating, heel Flair. Still, I say this merits more consideration.

Very fun match. Love this gimmick so fucking much.

Edge as a heel was the bigger star and would cheat the shit out of any stipulation... but this might be the one match that he just couldn't do that. The pure rules matches that I've seen were notorious for having little tolerance for cheating. I could see Steamboat dominating, and Edge playing dirty one too many times only to get caught. He loses a rope break, and then Steamboat capitalizes.

Edge was known for being overzealous, and it usually helped him, but Steamboat has been able to hold his own and win against dirty players before. This is one of the times when the stipulation as changed the side for me, since cheating would be a detriment for Edge here. Voting for Steamboat.

This is Steamboats match. A man who participated in scores of these very matches will ultimately go over Edge, a wrestler who made an impact as a man willing to do anything by hook or by crook to win. Steamboats technical expertise inside the ring gets the better of Edge. Steamboat moves on.

Edge is great at gimmick matches, and a pure rules gimmick match can still favor Edge if he is smart enough to take the rules into his advantage to get either Steamboat accused of cheating, or cause him to lose his rope breaks.

Thus of course you also have to take into account how good of a wrestler Steamboat was and how favorable of a match this is to him. Edge is pretty damn dastardly and pretty damn sneaky, so I could see a situation where he get's Steamboat caught in a trap to lose his rope breaks, and then I see the other situation Steamboat being able to out wrestle Edge and keep his cool.

I'm very torn, so I will wait last minute and see the arguments before I vote in this one.

The Dragon with a roll up. The gimmick or, lackthereof, suits Ricky perfectly here. He is the better wrestler, has had matches that well, speak for themselves.

My basis of voting here is, the gimmick is perfect for Steamboat. Move on Dragon!

The only guy's left in the tournament that I could see beating Steamboat in a match like this would be Hart or Angle. Hell in the entire tournament maybe, Liger, Benoit, Lesnar, Iron Sheik, Hart, and Angle. This might be the only match that I would vote Steamboat in over Edge and I must say it's one hell of a draw for him here. Depending on what match he draws next time around he could be a dark horse to win this whole thing

Vote Steamboat

I'm still voting for Edge. You're not going to convince me that a legit main event heel wouldn't be able to put away a perennial mid-carder clean.

A match like this would have little tolerance for cheating. However, when has that ever deterred Edge? He doesn't even have to cheat, he could stay within the rules but fight dirty. In a match like this where there are tight rules, it may actually benefit Edge as he could force a disqualification upon Steamboat. He could piss Steamboat off enough to make him do something rash too. This is in the WWE region after all, and everyone knows how WWE referees are all the time. Matches like these usually don't have clean finishes and I definitely see Edge somehow managing to get the win.

Edge isn't stupid, or completely incapable of winning without a gimmick to help him. For most of his career he did that, and most recently he beat Alberto Del Rio, a good technician, in a clean match-up at Wrestlemania of all places.

But I think if you put him in the ring against a guy the level Steamboat was at in the ring in a pure match it's too much for him. He gets overworked, of Steamboat has the heart and stamina to drag this match out into his favoured territory. Edge is the underdog with this stipulation.

While Edge had a decent amount of success in more typical environments, he made his career in far more extreme conditions.

On the other hand, Steamboat has competed in more contests that lend themselves to being comfortable in these settings.

For everyone talking up Edge's ability to be "dastardly", or "exploit loopholes", or "fight dirty", all I have to say is this- Steamboat worked hold for hold with Flair and was able to come out on top. Flair is a guy with Edge's propensity to successfully find ways to break the rules and get away with it, hell, he's better than Edge at it. But he is also a far superior "ring general" to Edge. Savage was another crafty heel who knew every trick and when to employ it. He also was a far more advanced technician than Edge. Steamboat overcame him as well.

The Pure stipulation is a deathwish for Edge in this encounter. In big matches against comparable main event heel opposition, Ricky has shown a capability to effectively avoid being the victim of heelish trickery, and inside the Pure boundaries the Dragon would be able to expose the areas where he is more adept than Edge to get the win.

This is nearly impossible. For all my love for Steamboat, he rarely rose above the midcard, despite peoples perceptions of his success due to a very public Flair feud. That against arguable the best modern heel of the past decade.

Voting in kayfabe though - of course this favours Edge. As I said already, I can still see a scenario with the odds stacked against him that Edge is able to triumph. In fact, I'd 100% vote for him had Steamboat not been so successful against the dirtiest player in the game, and a cheating heel Savage in his biggest matches.

I think Steamers ability to fade heel tomfoolery plus the gimmick advantage is probably too much for the main eventer to withstand - the midcarder goes over. Edge totally can win, finding a way somehow, I just think Steamboat's resilient enough against that to go over here.

edit: Ricky is way overseeded in this tournament by the way. I know that's not anyones fault as he's someone that everyone would pick to participate, but imo he should be at a Benoit level, nothing more.

Steamboat wins this one. Edge is mostly known as an average wrestler who's terrific in gimmick matches, whereas the Dragon is known as one of the greatest technicians to ever lace up a pair of boots.

On paper this is Steamboat's match all the way. No one can argue that in a Puro rules match that Edge would be able to go hold for hold with someone like Steamboat. Steamboat might be dull as a butter knife, but he's an insanely talented technical wrestler.

However, I always am reminded of the Catch as Catch Can match with Dean Malenko and Billy Kidman (yes I know it's not the exact same thing). Would anyone think Billy Kidman would be able to beat someone like Dean Malenko in a match that basically is designed for the man? Of course not, but Malenko made a dumb mistake and lost that match within minutes.

Edge is the top of heel that would use these rules to his advantage. Edge isn't going to try and beat Steamboat, but he would have Steamboat beat himself. This match is far from a lock for Steamboat when psychology comes into play. A heel like Edge going against a babyface in Steamboat in this type of match has all of the makings of an upset.

I have to go with Steamboat for the win here. A pure rules match plays perfectly into many of Steamboat's key strengths. Steamboat can mat wrestle with the best of them and is a celebrated high flyer.

Edge is no slouch himself inside the ring. He was also an athletic guy who could brawl and wrestle on the mat. But he's not in Steamboat's league when it comes to pure, old school mat wrestling and that's what this match ultimately boils down to.

Edge would make Steamboat work for it though, I've no doubt about that. I think there would be several close calls for Steamboat in the match. Unless there's a ref bump and Edge goes medieval on Steamboat with a steel chair while the ref is out, I just don't see him moving on.

I was on the fence with this one for a bit, and then I read Papa Pillman's post and I am sold on Steamboat. If he could keep Flair at bay who is the dirtiest player in the game then he can definitely hang and defeat Edge in a match with these type of rules. Any other gimmick I would have voted Edge, but no this one.

Have to agree with the majority here, this match screams Dragon right down to palm thrusts to the face rather than punches. Of course, I can see Edge circumvent the rules at every opportunity but they are still likely to be few and far between given the stringent nature of the match type. If he could come out on top against Savage and Naitch without such restrictions and this match doesn't lend itself to ultimate opportunists, Ricky has to be the logical choice.

Shut up Lariat. You don't get to the top of the wrestling tree without being a good wrestler, Edge got to the top and remained there, this match stipulation means dick and Edge moves on.

Flaming, Miko? Really? That's what were resorting to? Edge got to the top by cheating and being underhanded. He does any of that shit in this match and he's DQ'd, which makes it easier for Steamboat.

I'm still voting for Edge. You're not going to convince me that a legit main event heel wouldn't be able to put away a perennial mid-carder clean.

Fair enough. You're wrong on nearly every level here, but fair enough.

This is nearly impossible. For all my love for Steamboat, he rarely rose above the midcard, despite peoples perceptions of his success due to a very public Flair feud. That against arguable the best modern heel of the past decade.

Voting in kayfabe though - of course this favours Edge. As I said already, I can still see a scenario with the odds stacked against him that Edge is able to triumph. In fact, I'd 100% vote for him had Steamboat not been so successful against the dirtiest player in the game, and a cheating heel Savage in his biggest matches.

I think Steamers ability to fade heel tomfoolery plus the gimmick advantage is probably too much for the main eventer to withstand - the midcarder goes over. Edge totally can win, finding a way somehow, I just think Steamboat's resilient enough against that to go over here.

edit: Ricky is way overseeded in this tournament by the way. I know that's not anyones fault as he's someone that everyone would pick to participate, but imo he should be at a Benoit level, nothing more.

Wow. So Steamboat's some naive boy scout who would be duped into losing a match? Get real. Edge can't win big matches without cheating or using underhanded tactics. Period. If he attempts to use those tactics, he's disqualified.

And this mid-card bullshit you talk about with Steamboat makes no sense. He feuded with Ric Flair and had two of the greatest wrestling matches of all time against him. That was for the World Heavyweight Title. Not a mid-card belt. And his match against Savage at Wrestlemania 3 STOLE THE SHOW FROM ANDRE AND HOGAN! Doesn't sound too mid-card to me.

Edge is so overrated by the folks on the forums that it borders on the absurd. Edge's title runs were fine, but he wasn't billed as the top guy the entire time he was champion. That belonged to John Cena. Steamboat wasn't either, because of Flair and Hogan, but he was never asked to be. All Steamboat had were classic matches. Edge's most memorable matches involve a ladder, chair, cage, or flames.

None of those things can be used in a Pure Wrestling match.

Steamboat wins.

1. No closed punches to the face. Punches to the ribs are legal as are any other open hand strikes to the face. The use of a closed fist to the face will result in a warning. The second infraction will result in the loss of a rope break. The third will result in a disqualification.

2. Wrestlers have three rope breaks per match. If all three are used up, a pin or submission while in the ropes will not be broken up.

3. Wrestlers have a twenty count to return to the ring instead of ten.

Does anyone fancy telling me why these rules favour Ricky Steamboat? It seems that the key to winning this match is not being a great technical wrestler, but rather being able to play the rules to your advantage. Edge was marketed as one of the "smartest" wrestlers in WWE. A guy who could cheat and not get caught, a guy who knew what someone was going to do before they did it. And lets not forget the final rule: a twenty count instead of ten. Think about how sadistic Edge was considered to be - giving him double the time to inflict pain outside the ring only benefits him.

I'm not saying Edge should take this, but it's definitely not a lock for Steamboat.

Does anyone fancy telling me why these rules favour Ricky Steamboat? It seems that the key to winning this match is not being a great technical wrestler, but rather being able to play the rules to your advantage. Edge was marketed as one of the "smartest" wrestlers in WWE. A guy who could cheat and not get caught, a guy who knew what someone was going to do before they did it. And lets not forget the final rule: a twenty count instead of ten. Think about how sadistic Edge was considered to be - giving him double the time to inflict pain outside the ring only benefits him.

I'm not saying Edge should take this, but it's definitely not a lock for Steamboat.

They benefit a smart, technical wrestler like Steamboat. All it would take is for Edge to throw a couple closed fists and Steamboat to lock a submission on when Edge is in the ropes for Edge to be out of rope breaks and be at the mercy of whatever holds Steamboat wants to lock on.

They benefit a smart, technical wrestler like Steamboat. All it would take is for Edge to throw a couple closed fists and Steamboat to lock a submission on when Edge is in the ropes for Edge to be out of rope breaks and be at the mercy of whatever holds Steamboat wants to lock on.

I know closed fists are out of the equation, but what about a standard thumb to the eye? Edge isn't Ric Flair by any means, yet I've seen Flair thumb someone's eye then chop block them to weaken the legs for the figure 4. Well, Edges submission manoeuvre also requires him to weaken the legs so what's to stop Edge employing this same tactic on The Dragon? It could be that Edge goes down this route simply to make Dragon use up his rope breaks then go back to the spear.

As Sanka pointed out, the 20 count seems like it could be a saving grace for Edge; whether he uses the time to hurt Dragon outside the ring or simply to frustrate him and make him come and get Edge.

Admittedly I don't know too much about Ricky, but Sankas post gave me food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back