WWE Region, Third Round, Pure Rules Match: (2) Undertaker vs. (7) Antonio Inoki

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Undertaker

• Antonio Inoki

Results are only viewable after voting.
Taker wins because he was better?

No... Taker wins because he wrestled in the WWE in the 90's/2000's and that's the only time we watched wrestling and that's what we watched more than anything so he's better than everyone else and we'll come up with as many ignorant arguments as we can to support that.

Put this match this way. Taker didn't like to job... but he would have been honored to lay down for Antonio Inoki. I would rank Inoki among the most important wrestlers in the World for the 70's, 80's and even into the 90's. The guy was supremely skilled. More so than the Taker. More so than basically anyone.

Antonio Inoki should win here. No question about it.

Which makes zero sense considering Hogan was a huge babyface in Japan, while Yokozuna was a Samoan playing a Japanese man. The Japanese are very ethnocentric. If they couldn't accept the Korean Rikidozan into the higher echelons of the sport then how are they going to accept and back an American Samoan playing a yokozuna? Don't pretend that match was anything more than a novelty to kick out a #1 seed in the first round.

Inoki was an known international star, a former WWE champion, and a member of its HOFame. I fail to see how Taker would have the clear cut home advantage.

Lesnar gave the impression that it was a shoot, and that Inoki was testing his ability. Maybe not going all out, but just to see what he could do. And Inoki already had a name, if anything he was giving one to Brock Lesnar considering he was an unknown at the time.

Oh god the "booked himself" argument.

You imply that casual non wrestling fans know who the Undertaker is. They don't. Only wrestling fans [older ones] know the Undertaker. he did not transcend the wrestling industry. Inoki did.

Nope. Taker wins cuz this is in Murica and we need to be biased about it.

Inoki has great accolades but they fade when you speak of how big the Undertaker has become. His name is something known to people who dont follow wrestling. He is a bigger global star than Inoki ever was or will be. I dont know why you think Taker is not known beyond the wrestling circles because I have many a times talked and met people who clearly know the name The Undertaker.

And please there is much merit of how he booked himself. Do I blame him? Of course not, he did what he had to do and protected and propagated his promotion. But in America in a knockout tournament like here, I dont believe Inoki has enough pull to take out a bigger more recognizable star like The Undertaker.

And it was travesty Hogan went out like that.

Inoki has great accolades but they fade when you speak of how big the Undertaker has become. His name is something known to people who dont follow wrestling. He is a bigger global star than Inoki ever was or will be. I dont know why you think Taker is not known beyond the wrestling circles because I have many a times talked and met people who clearly know the name The Undertaker.

Because I have spoken to god knows how many non wrestling fans that can't even readily identify John Cena, let alone a guy that works one match a year. A good friend of mine just started watching wrestling recently and it was awkward having to explain to him who the Undertaker is, and why he's relevant when he came out. The amount of fans following wrestling [from the total population] is much lower than it was decades ago. He's as identifiable as Antonio Inoki to the average American, but at least Inoki as some merit having fought Mohammad Ali in a very high promoted fight.

I'd bet that's going to resonate with the general American public far longer than Undertaker's 20 year win streak in a promotion whose brand name value is much greater than any of its individual stars. Considering it's been 40 years since that fight and Ali fans still remember that he fought a mixed match against a pro wrestler.

Because I have spoken to god knows how many non wrestling fans that can't even readily identify John Cena, let alone a guy that works one match a year. A good friend of mine just started watching wrestling recently and it was awkward having to explain to him who the Undertaker is, and why he's relevant when he came out. The amount of fans following wrestling [from the total population] is much lower than it was decades ago. He's as identifiable as Antonio Inoki to the average American, but at least Inoki as some merit having fought Mohammad Ali in a very high promoted fight.

I'd bet that's going to resonate with the general American public far longer than Undertaker's 20 year win streak in a promotion whose brand name value is much greater than any of its individual stars. Considering it's been 40 years since that fight and Ali fans still remember that he fought a mixed match against a pro wrestler.

That pomp, the variation of the Funeral March by Johnston and his completely recognizable look has made Taker stand out at first. We have had differing experiences in that case, because I have met many a people who throw names like Undertaker and Hulk Hogan rather than Inoki or Giant Baba when I say Im into wrestling.

I doubt that todays wrestling fans even know that Inoki and Ali once had that tussle.

That pomp, the variation of the Funeral March by Johnston and his completely recognizable look has made Taker stand out at first. We have had differing experiences in that case, because I have met many a people who throw names like Undertaker and Hulk Hogan rather than Inoki or Giant Baba when I say Im into wrestling.

I doubt that todays wrestling fans even know that Inoki and Ali once had that tussle.

Wrestling fans don't because WWE has no reason to promote Inoki other than times when it suits the both of them. But boxing fans remember that fight, because Ali was one of the greatest boxers. And both worked in a time period where more boxing and wrestling fans [out of the total population] were following their respective industries than currently. So yeah, 1970's/1980's more Americans can readily identify Antonio Inoki than they can Undertaker today.

Wrestling fans don't because WWE has no reason to promote Inoki other than times when it suits the both of them. But boxing fans remember that fight, because Ali was one of the greatest boxers. And both worked in a time period where more boxing and wrestling fans [out of the total population] were following their respective industries than currently. So yeah, 1970's/1980's more Americans can readily identify Antonio Inoki than they can Undertaker today.

Do boxing fans really remember that? I find it hard to believe and we have no way of really finding out one way or the other unless there is a poll out there that outlines Inoki's popularity among the boxing enthusiasts.

Do boxing fans really remember that? I find it hard to believe and we have no way of really finding out one way or the other unless there is a poll out there that outlines Inoki's popularity among the boxing enthusiasts.

The point is not that boxing fans can readily identify Antonio Inoki by name, it's that they remember that Ali had a bout with a pro wrestler. And if they saw a photo of the guy they'd go, "yeah that's him."

My mother remembered who Gorgeous George was despite not being a wrestling fan. She didn't know him by name but as soon as I described his gimmick she remembered seeing him on TV and that he was a big star [though she was hesitant about placing his popularity on par with Lucille Ball like we read about. Doesn't matter.]

50 years from now let's see how many current and non wrestling fans still remember the Undertaker. Especially if he's no longer heavily promoted by the WWE.

If you are a American [or other country] wrestling fan and you can identify some dude from Japan, then odds are they were that big. There are plenty of Japanese wrestling stars that I don't know or care to know, because they weren't big. Inoki was.

I think they will. I think people will remember The Undertaker, but I have no way to look into the crystal ball and say they will or wont. But I do sincerely say this, I have had encounters with non wrestling fan and they have said either Rock, Hogan or Taker in that convo.

I think they will. I think people will remember The Undertaker, but I have no way to look into the crystal ball and say they will or wont. But I do sincerely say this, I have had encounters with non wrestling fan and they have said either Rock, Hogan or Taker in that convo.

I don't know what non wrestling fans you're talking to but I ask these types all the time to give me 5 wrestlers they've heard of. Never once is Undertaker mentioned, not once. He's not a draw outside wrestling. Heck, more people today have heard of the Bellas because of total divas than taker at any point. Using him as a massive draw outside wrestling is a losing argument.

Since taker is winning though, I'm curious to hear from more that voted for him as to why. Would be interesting to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back