WWE Region, Third Round, 2/3 Falls Match: (4) Kurt Angle vs. (5) Randy Orton

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Kurt Angle

• Randy Orton

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the WWE Region. It is a 2/3 Falls match, held at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York.

640x-1.jpg

Rules: The winner is the first man to win two falls. A fall is earned by either pinfall, submission, countout or disqualification.

Snapshot_1_%283-27-2013_12-29_PM%29.png

#4. Kurt Angle

Vs.

randy-orton-bio1.jpg

#5. Randy Orton

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

These guys are so even, and this stipulation means absolutely nothing to either of them in terms of an advantage. Both guys can GO in the ring, and for long periods of time without massive burn out. Both guys are just absolute athletic freaks.

Kurt Angle is a little better on the technical front, but honestly not by much.
Orton is better on the basis of pure athleticism, but the gap there isn't that demonstrably wide either.
Angle is a better talker, but Orton is massively underrated in this regard.

I'm leaning Orton (but can certainly be swayed) for three reasons.

1. The WWE built the A show around Orton on more than one occasion, they kinda pushed Kurt off to Smackdown.
2. Orton's prime in the major spotlight (ie not the clear #2 promotion in the States) has been way longer.
3. Orton won a world title match at Wrestlemania, Angle never could.

It's so close that those are the things I'm using.

These guys are so even, and this stipulation means absolutely nothing to either of them in terms of an advantage. Both guys can GO in the ring, and for long periods of time without massive burn out. Both guys are just absolute athletic freaks.

Kurt Angle is a little better on the technical front, but honestly not by much.
Orton is better on the basis of pure athleticism, but the gap there isn't that demonstrably wide either.
Angle is a better talker, but Orton is massively underrated in this regard.

I'm leaning Orton (but can certainly be swayed) for three reasons.

1. The WWE built the A show around Orton on more than one occasion, they kinda pushed Kurt off to Smackdown.
2. Orton's prime in the major spotlight (ie not the clear #2 promotion in the States) has been way longer.
3. Orton won a world title match at Wrestlemania, Angle never could.

It's so close that those are the things I'm using.

How is Orton better on the basis of pure athleticism than an Olympic gold medalist? Kurt Angle is better in the ring, better on the mic and has about the same amount of credentials in the WWE as Randy Orton. Both guys lose as often as they win but basing this of who the greater wrestler is and who would realistically would win this match I'm going with the guy who has made the who's who in this business tap out to the ankle lock.

Vote: Angle.

Lets see here...

Drawing power - I really wouldn't rank either of these guys as a strong draw. Orton has the marketability advantage, and you could make the case that he was WWE's top star in 2009/2010. That's more than Angle at least.

Longevity - Angle has had the longer career, but he spent half of it in a much smaller promotion not drawing any money. Orton has been WWE's #2 star year after year. Either playing fiddle to Cena or Punk. Except in 2009/2010. Point Orton.

Consistency - Leaning Angle. Plenty of victories over rivals like Cena. A few over Punk. Angle has been TNA's cornerstone, and has beaten everyone there. Before he left WWE he defeated all the greats there too.

Accolades - Kurt Angle is a 12 time world champion. Half of those coming from a promotion that isn't even national level. Orton is a 9 [or is it 10] time world champion in an international [now global] promotion. He wins.

In ring skills - Subjective. Personally I like Angle more. Though Randy Orton really probably is the better worker.

Charisma - Leaning Orton. He's great at redefining himself and adapting, which is the mark of a great performer. Kurt Angle has pretty much stayed the same for 20 years. Not many guys stay the same for that long. Undertaker didn't. HHH didn't. Lou Thesz didn't. Bruno didn't. Even really old school guys like the Strangler didn't. And Orton plays the Viper with subtle excellence. Well enough to keep the gimmick unique.

Overall Legacy - Orton will be remembered as one of the modern eras top stars. Kurt Angle will be remembered as the guy that couldn't keep himself healthy so he jumped to a much smaller promotion.

Two out of Three falls? Angle takes the first fall, Orton takes the second fall, and then Orton takes the third fall fast. That's the way these matches were worked long ago when they were commonplace.

Orton wins.

Kurt Angle, please. Angle has had better matches with Mr. Kennedy than Orton has with literally any opponent he's ever faced. Angle connected with the crowd better, was more successful and has genuinely mastered being a heel and a face - I couldn't say which he was better at. His matches make sense, unlike 'intense' Orton which basically consists of being incredibly slow. Given that his finisher comes from absolutely nowhere, or if he punts them is overly violent, this 'psychology' doesn't make sense. "I'm going to work over the whole body, really slowly, and then win with a move that works on the one part I don't stamp on for 25 minutes". PSYCHOLOGY.

Kurt Angle is better than Orton in every way, and should win.

Angle, coz I really like his wrestling style and more than Orton's.

I get one cheat vote where I pull favorism and in this round its for Angle.

Kurt is 2-1 up on Randy in televised one on one bouts and just has a greater list of greats that he has defeated. People can crow all they want about Angle never being the number one guy... but when you consider the names in the WWe (Austin, Rock, Triple H etc), that he was winning multiple championships at all is quite outstanding. Randy was only ever the number one guy once and that was considered such a bust that Triple H quickly took back the mantle.

Kurt for me.

If we're talking both men in their prime, then I'd have to give Angle the advantage solely based on his skills. Orton definitely came into his own over the years, especially character-wise. They're both about even in charisma, however once Angle developed more of a violent streak, he struck me as unbeatable. Another advantage for Angle is he accomplished more in his rookie year than Orton, winning both the IC and European straps, King of the Ring, and the WWF championship in less than one calendar year. This match here though, despite the accolades of both, could go either way. I wanna lean towards Angle, but youth is on Orton's side.

For now I see Orton winning, 2-1.

Kurt Angle here and its not even close.

Angle is the bigger draw, has a larger legacy, is the more credible champion, and has the type of longevity that makes wrestlers legends of this business. Angle benefits from years of being the top heel to guys like Austin, the Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, and others. He's also been the cornerstone of TNA for years. Also, he has the more memorable and classic moments/matches. He's better on the mic and in the ring. Not to mention, this match is right up Angle's alley. Anyway you look at it, Angle wins.

Vote Angle!

P.S. Ech, I like your sarcasm. You're funny.

Kurt Angle here and its not even close.

Angle is the bigger draw, has a larger legacy, is the more credible champion, and has the type of longevity that makes wrestlers legends of this business. Angle benefits from years of being the top heel to guys like Austin, the Rock, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Undertaker, and others. He's also been the cornerstone of TNA for years. Also, he has the more memorable and classic moments/matches. He's better on the mic and in the ring. Not to mention, this match is right up Angle's alley. Anyway you look at it, Angle wins.

Vote Angle!

P.S. Ech, I like your sarcasm. You're funny.

Angle may have been a big draw in TNA but what about in the WWE? We have an opinion on most guys' drawing power over the past 20 years or so but I've never really saw any opinions about Angle. Just curious.

Years of being the top heel? HHH was the top heel in 2000 and 2001, Undertaker and Jericho for parts of 2002, and HHH again in 2004 and 2005. A little bit of exaggeration with that one.

Angle has almost 3 years on Orton as far as longevity so I don't think it's that much of a factor.

Angle has been in only one 2/3 falls match to my recollection and that involved ladders and such.

About Tastycles' claim that Angle's matches make sense and Orton's "psychology", what about Angle suplexing and throwing dudes for 20 minutes and then using an ankle lock? At least guys like Flair work on the leg before applying the Figure Four.

Angle may have been a big draw in TNA but what about in the WWE? We have an opinion on most guys' drawing power over the past 20 years or so but I've never really saw any opinions about Angle. Just curious.

Years of being the top heel? HHH was the top heel in 2000 and 2001, Undertaker and Jericho for parts of 2002, and HHH again in 2004 and 2005. A little bit of exaggeration with that one.

Angle has almost 3 years on Orton as far as longevity so I don't think it's that much of a factor.

Angle has been in only one 2/3 falls match to my recollection and that involved ladders and such.

About Tastycles' claim that Angle's matches make sense and Orton's "psychology", what about Angle suplexing and throwing dudes for 20 minutes and then using an ankle lock? At least guys like Flair work on the leg before applying the Figure Four.

I'm not giving Angle credit for being the absolute top heel of the business during those years, however, when he was playing the heel role, it was often to the top star of the moment; which would make him the big bad of the moment, no?

As far as Angle being a draw: Well he's been the top draw of TNA for years. When it comes to WWE, though, I think he easily ranks up there with someone like Triple H. Of course he's not on Austin, Hogan, Rock, or Cena level; who is? He spent years on top of Smackdown though and as I said; has years of being paired with Rock, Austin, and others.

When I say that this match is up Angle's alley, I mean that in terms of length. Angle has a reputation as a guy who can go. While Orton isn't any slouch in the ring, I doubt he's anywhere near prime Angle.

Who are you voting for?

Length of the match means nothing in this. Orton is a freak athletically, and very well condition. He's done at least one iron man match before, so that's nbd.

Angle being a top draw in TNA means literally nothing. Angle was the #3 4 or even 5 guy in WWE during his prime. I think it is fair to say that Orton is the firm #2 of the Cena era.

Also, Angle's gold medal win was absolute horse shit, but that doesn't matter I guess. I've just always wanted to get it out there.

Also, the RKO is better than both of Kurt's finishers. Hell, so is the punt kick.

This would be a phenomenal match, I rate both guys very highly- Angle in particular is one of the best of all time in my opinion. A true wrestling machine.

I think Orton and Angle would share the first 2 falls, but I think as the match progressed, Kurt would wear down Orton and work on his legs meaning he'd be susceptible to the Ankle Lock. Randy is very good, but I think Kurt's had more classic matches, has incredible stamina and would win this 2-1

The voting gap here is huge, but to me these guys are closer than that suggests. These are two big stars who I would love to see wrestle yet again - Angle in better shape and Orton now where he is a veteran and all round better performer than ever. They've traded wins and losses and been world champion in the biggest promotion. They've both main evented WrestleMania and mixed it up with the very best they're respective era's have had to offer. This is a hell of a match and I really am not sure who wins.

I think I, like others, will vote Angle - he's at the tail-end of a long, hugely successful career where his legacy can easily be recognised as being one of the elite in wrestling history while Orton is still in the midst of his, equally succesful career that won't be recognised for it's quality until he gets to the same stage Angle is at now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back