WWE Region, Providence Subregion, Second Round: (5) CM Punk vs. (12) Brock Lesnar

Who Wins This Matchup?

• CM Punk

• Brock Lesnar

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WWE Region, Providence Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island.

275px-DunkinDonutsCenter1.jpg

CM-Punk-cm-punk-28911386-389-464.png

#5. CM Punk

Vs.

brocklesnar_big.jpg

#12. Brock Lesnar

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

G. G. Punk.

I mean, this match has already happened, between a guy who was in the middle of his prime, and a guy you could argue was ten years' past his. Punk was in the midst of his, Lesnar was past his.

Here's what happened:

28hhegn.jpg

Brock Lesnar wins this, in another classic.

Before everyone hops on the Brock Lesnar bus let's just take a minute to take in the fact that Awesome_Miz is supporting Brock in this tournament. Do you wanna really want to support Brock Lesnar, a guy who has a penis tattooed onto his chest? Or even better, do you really want to vote alongside Awesome_Miz?

Vote CM Punk, because he doesn't have a schlong plastered on his chest.

Before everyone hops on the Brock Lesnar bus let's just take a minute to take in the fact that Awesome_Miz is supporting Brock in this tournament. Do you wanna really want to support Brock Lesnar, a guy who has a penis tattooed onto his chest? Or even better, do you really want to vote alongside Awesome_Miz?

Vote CM Punk, because he doesn't have a schlong plastered on his chest.

I know he isn't here now, but I can guarantee you, for a fact, PWF was going to vote CM Punk over Brawwwk Lesnar!

Now don't get me wrong, you make a very compelling point. But still....

PWF.

PWF.

Need I say more?

Oh, and CM Punk looks like a pedophile with his mutton chops.

I don't know how I feel about voting for a guy because he has one victory over his opponent but the SummerSlam match is too fresh in my mind. It was the only time these two ever wrestled and Lesnar beat Punk in his prime. Good enough for me this time. I vote Brock.

I know he isn't here now, but I can guarantee you, for a fact, PWF was going to vote CM Punk over Brawwwk Lesnar!

Now don't get me wrong, you make a very compelling point. But still....

PWF.

PWF.

Need I say more?

Oh, and CM Punk looks like a pedophile with his mutton chops.

Yeah, but PWF can't vote for anybody now, so that point is moot. However, Awesome_Miz will vote for Lesnar. I am sure as soon as he gets off the short bus from his local potato farm he will remind everyone why voting for Lesnar is a horrible, horrible thing.

In fact, I won't make any real argument, I will wait for Awesome_Miz to tard so hard Lesnar will punch himself in the face.

I think Brock takes to much shit for leaving when he did. It doesn't take away from the fact that he has beaten everyone. Lesner beat Punk at Summerslam last year. Imagine what Lesner would have done to Punk in his prime. Lesner wins this and I can't even see an argument in Punk's favor. It would be a great match, but Lesner would win everytime.

If we're using the Summerslam match, why would you give it to Brock? He couldn't beat Punk without multiple Paul Heyman run ins.

Eh, but if you take away the No DQ clause, Punk has nothing to put Brock down. I'm voting Brock. I talked myself into it.

I'm on the Brock train on this one too. Brock now is certainly more relevant than he was ten years ago. The fans see it, and the WWE certainly see it. Even without that Brock was a major player like Punk was during his first run. Maybe not as relevant but that's all changed now. No one sees Lesnar like we used to. He's a totally different performer.

And his successes since coming back speak volumes to that.

I was all ready to vote for Punk. At Summerslam, Punk would've beaten Lesnar had it not been for Paul Heyman. But then I remembered that match being No DQ. Crap. I have to vote Lesnar now. Thanks for that, Nate.

*sigh* Vote for Brock.

Lesnar is a runaway train in this tournament and Punk is just another stop along the way. Lesnar's beaten every meaningful wrestler in the last 20 years. Hogan, Undertaker, Cena, Punk, and The Rock are just to name a few.

You can't look past that, folks. Lesnar's a conqueror and he'll beat Punk again.

You'll get a few smarks who will vote for Punk because... well, because he's CM Punk. If you're voting on common sense, Lesnar wins.

Brock is a monster. Punk is really fun to watch and listen to, but I don't see him figuring out a way to keep Lesnar down in a straight one on one match. Punk doesn't have enough to put Lesnar away. If we had a stipulation of some sort, like a ladder or something of that nature, maybe I could find an argument for Punk. Not here, though.

Lesnar wins.

I should point out that Paul Heyman literally had to break up a pin to save Lesnar in Punk's match with him. Lesnar's gonna run away with it, and that doesn't fuss me too much, but that did totally happen.

Let's all just forget the 21-1 and the SummerSlam match itself for a moment. Through all the buildup for the match what did we all fear? Exactly, Brock manhandling Punk and easily tossing him around the ring like a stick. Simple as that Brock Wins.

Vote Brock or The Streak won't be the only thing he'll conquer that you love.;)

And there you have it folks, Awesome_Miz in all of his glory showed you how dumb you have to be in order to vote for Lesnar. I have a question for you Awesome_Miz. Why do you hate America, huh? Why do you insist on making a mockery of our beautiful country when you decide to vote for Lesnar over Punk.

Lesnar is kind of Great Britain back in the 1700's. Vastly powerful, and dominant wherever it went, but CM Punk embodies everything that makes America so damn fucking awesome. Never say die attitude, ruthless underdog spirit, and pepsi running through his veins are all the reasons that has made America so great that it was able to hoist Great Britain onto it's shoulders and give the redcoats a GTS.

Vote Punk, vote for America.

GTA_IV_CM_Punk_vs_Captain_America_Brawl_101573536_thumbnail.jpg

While I enjoy matches that both these guys have put on, neither one give me that warm fuzzy Kane feeling that I love oh so much.

Both have had their cock moments in the past as well as their good moments but I'll give my vote to the guy whose cock moments came from his passion for the biz, rather than the guy who made Hitler so angry.

Lesnar is kind of Great Britain back in the 1700's. Vastly powerful, and dominant wherever it went, but CM Punk embodies everything that makes America so damn fucking awesome. Never say die attitude, ruthless underdog spirit, and pepsi running through his veins are all the reasons that has made America so great that it was able to hoist Great Britain onto it's shoulders and give the redcoats a GTS.

Nah, Lesnar is like America now: sees something it wants, goes in head first, makes a mess, and then saunters out with a skewed grin on its face. Punk, in comparison, is a gobby little dictator that needs deposing.

Neat graphic, though.

Let me tell you why I'm going to vote for Punk, other than the fact that A_M sided with the opposition.

Both of these guys have some tattoos. Punk has some shitty ones, but he doesn't have a penis on his chest. Seriously, look at Cock Chestner and his dong tat. If you look closely there is even some seamen on the tip of it. You know who get tattoos of dicks on their chest? The Taliban. Brock Lesnar is part of the Taliban, and Paul Heyman is The Grand Wizard. As a man with tattoos, I don't to be associated with either of those things.

Plus Punk can do some flippies without breaking his neck.

Through all the buildup for the match what did we all fear? Exactly, Brock manhandling Punk and easily tossing him around the ring like a stick.

One of those moments, those all too common moments, where I'm absolutely ashamed to be a wrestling fan. People who regularly watching professional wrestling failing to grasp one of its most basic concepts. Truly astonishing.

"But-- but the one guy is smaller than the other guy! How are we supposed to think the smaller guy can win? Derrrrrr!"

Fortunately, the resulting match made those people look as foolish as-- as, well, they had been all along.

I'm pretty confident that Lesnar would win this. Indeed their previous encounter in the real world was a No DQ match involving some Heyman related shenanigans, however one would point out that with the No DQ stipulation, Punk was nearly able to take down Lesnar. Without that No DQ stipulation, for weeks leading into the match, Lesnar dominated Punk. He threw him around, busted him open, beat him down. Punk got the upper hand heading into the match via the element of surprise. Punk doesn't have that here. Punk can try and jump Lesnar, but the dude’s going to use that freaky strength to hit something nasty and regain the advantage.

That and there are WWE Hall of Famers, there are legends, and there are WWE superstars, and the key to that is that they're all plural. They're all lumped together. And then there's only one that stands head and shoulders above the rest on a platform of his own. There's only one beast incarnate. There's only one conqueror of the streak. And there's only one Brock Lesnar... to quote a certain someone.

Oh Lesnar won when he was a part timer? In that case lets make sure that Kevin Federline beats John Cena in this tournament and that Floyd Mayweather (undefeated at WrestleMania!) wins his match too. Actually, how about no. Lesnar won a no-DQ match, which this isn't by interference from Heyman. At Punk's height, Heyman was on his side. He can't interfere for both of them, so it's a non-factor. Summerslam swept under the rug nicely there.

Now onto the matter at hand. WWE's typical average rating in 2001 was about a 7. After two years of building the company around Brock Lesnar it was a 3.5. Half of the audience. Out of the window. Then he left the company in the lurch, which we shouldn't hold against him and came back with wonderful legitimate credentials and moved the PPV buyrate needle... nowhere. Ryback had a bigger effect on the buyrates. Ryback.

Lesnar had an incredible opening couple of months in wrestling but ultimately nobody gave a shit and he lost most the audience. Lesnar's UFC credentials never made him a bigger deal in wrestling, his wrestling name power made him a bigger deal in UFC. We are talking about a guy who is such a twat he was basically booked as a heel in a legitimate sport.

Lesnar looks impressive and was booked to be dominant, but looking at the actual credentials by which we judge wrestlers.

What impact has he had on ratings?

He has decreased them, or at best kept them stagnant.

How good are his matches?

I have been on these forums for almost 6 years, and I have never heard a single person say that Lesnar had a great match against anyone.

How dominant were his title reigns?

There's no denying he had the better of Undertaker, but apart from that most of his title reigns involved beating luminaries like Hardcore Holly on PPV. I suppose he beat John Cena in 2003. Which is a bit like beating Rocky Maivia or the Ringmaster so well done Lesnar.

Iconic moments

Losing to Eddie Guerrero, worst received WrestleMania match ever with Goldberg. Next.

I'm not a Punk fanboy, but the fact of the matter is, he has not had a detrimental effect on the product in the way Lesnar has. When has anyone ever been excited for Lesnar? They aren't. The man is a beast, but without Paul Heyman nobody gives a shit about him and he ends up fighting Sparky Plugg for the WWE Championship. Punk was a huge star with and without Paul Heyman, Lesnar wasn't. Lesnar cannot speak on the microphone to encourage crowd interest. With the exception of monster foreign heels like Khali and Yokozuna, I don't think the WWF has ever put the microphone in a less capable man's hands as world champion. The WWE booked Lesnar so dominantly because in the absence of anyone with the charisma of the previous generation, they thought they could focus on athleticism. IT didn't work, and the next time they looked for the winning formula they went for John Cena, as cartoonish as they come.

Lesnar was a failed experiment in athleticism being a dominant point. Punk was a successful experiment in 'legitimate backstage issues' being a dominant point. Don't vote for failure, vote for CM Punk.

What we have here is a battle between the best and the beast. The longest reigning WWE champion of the modern era, vs the one who ended the streak. This is a tough one for me. I am a huge CM Punk fan, and a Lesnar fan as well. However, Jason Ellis once said on his radio show that, Brock Lesnar has a dick tattooed on his chest, and you gotta be a tough dude to have a dick tattooed on your chest. He's right. I'd expect this to be a great match with CM Punk throwing everything at Lesnar. An elbow through the announce table, anaconda vice, and G.T.S, but sadly he gets put down by a thunderous F5 in dramatic fashion. The winner is BARACK! LEEEEESNAR!!!

Why was Lesnar seeded so low? This tournament bracket was stacked against Punk. They've had it out for him since he was voted over Andre in a tlc match.

Now onto the matter at hand. WWE's typical average rating in 2001 was about a 7. After two years of building the company around Brock Lesnar it was a 3.5. Half of the audience. Out of the window. Then he left the company in the lurch, which we shouldn't hold against him and came back with wonderful legitimate credentials and moved the PPV buyrate needle... nowhere. Ryback had a bigger effect on the buyrates. Ryback.

So Austin and Rock leaving had nothing to do with the decrease in ratings? So HHH, Kevin Nash, Steiner, etc. stinking up the joint had nothing to do with the ratings decrease? I admit that Lesnar wasn't a huge draw but he isn't solely to blame when he was mainly on Smackdown and Raw is the flagship show.

So Austin and Rock leaving had nothing to do with the decrease in ratings? So HHH, Kevin Nash, Steiner, etc. stinking up the joint had nothing to do with the ratings decrease? I admit that Lesnar wasn't a huge draw but he isn't solely to blame when he was mainly on Smackdown and Raw is the flagship show.

Actually, yes that's on him. He's obviously not the only reason the ratings dropped so steeply, but he was who the company was built around as that happened. And sure, you can say Austin and Rock left but when Austin left for injury in 99-2000, the people left behind retained most, if not more of an audience. Ditto when Hogan took a break in 1990 and Warrior held the fort.

Lesnar saw the biggest drop off in fans when he was given the ball that anyone had seen since Ric Flair became WWF champion. But that's another comment for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back