WWE Region, Providence Subregion, Second Round: (4) Dusty Rhodes vs. (13) Stan Hansen

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dusty Rhodes

• Stan Hansen

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WWE Region, Providence Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island.

275px-DunkinDonutsCenter1.jpg

dusty-rhodes-bio.png

#4. Dusty Rhodes

Vs.

12.jpg

#13. Stan Hansen

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

The standard protocol for a guy like Stan Hansen, when he isn't in Japan.

• Be built as the monster
  • Kick some asses
  • Get built for the top face in the company
  • Lose

Dusty is that top face in his prime, everywhere he went. Florida, Crockett, NWA, et. all.

The truth is, Hansen outside of Japan is a journeyman. A very well traveled, well experienced journeyman, but a journeyman, nonetheless. Dusty Rhodes is one of the most influential faces in the history of wrestling. Without him, there is no Rock, there is no Cena, there may not even be a Hogan.

Oh, and there's that whole "legitimately breaking Bruno Sammartino's neck" thing that I still have trouble with. Hansen was half blind, I get that. But part of wrestling is making money, by making people believe you're hurting one another.

Hansen actually hurt others. And he drew money, but nowhere near the money Dusty drew.

As much as it pains me to say, Hansen lost to most top guys in the USA. It's just a fact. In Japan, Hansen was dominant and beat nearly everyone he faced twice. That includes some major names in American pro wrestling, too. And who's on that list? Dusty Rhodes.

I'm not saying Hansen would beat Rhodes every time they met, I'm just saying in a payoff match in a neutral territory where they both drew evenly (Rhodes faced off with Billy Graham in the WWWF, which held shows in Providence while Hansen faced Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund in the WWWF as well), there's really no edge to either opponent in regards to familiarity with the area.

Hansen's beaten Sammartino in his home territory. Why wouldn't he beat Dusty in a neutral site?

In a once off match, I'd bet on Hansen to pull one out come hell or high water.

I like the style of Stan Hansen. He's a big roughhouse bully that just goes out and kicks ass with no apologies. Someone I can really get behind. He can hold his own against the best and give anyone a run for his money. It takes someone pretty special, someone with a lot of heart and personality, and someone that has a lot of fan support to knock off Hansen. The problem for Hansen is Dusty Rhodes is just the man for the job. This is a good matchup but I see the charismatic babyface hero getting the win over the rough and tough bully. I'd rather vote for Hansen over some others that are going to move to the third round but the luck of the draw was not kind to the Lariat. Early exit for Hansen as Dusty moves on.

Hansen would come into this match as a beast. A man that could definitely knock off a top guy, but like the Brain said, Rhodes is just the guy that would be able to knock Hansen out of the tournament. As much as I always liked Hansen I just can't see him moving on.

At least Hansen will go down to a worthy foe. Rhodes beat Harley Race for his first NWA Title run, and Ric Flair for his next two title reigns. That's absolutely nothing to sneeze at. His influence on wrestling as a promoter and booker are not matched, either. That being said... if this match were in Japan, Hansen would go over... wait. HE DID GO OVER! BY KNOCKING RHODES ON HIS ASS! COUNTOUT!!!

[youtube]ZPuWWXKOQzM[/youtube]

LARIATOOOOOOHHHH!

But seriously... I do understand the voting here. But for what it's worth, Hansen beat Rhodes, who was in between his first and second title reigns as NWA champion in this match.

Bad draw for Hansen here. Dusty is exactly the sort of guy you wouldn't want to meet in the early rounds of a tournament, as he'd almost certainly go over.

Hansen would definitely cause The Dream alot of damage, Dusty would almost certainly bleed and I reckon we would likely see Hansen hit the Lariat, maybe on the outside withe Rhodes JUST beating the count.

However, at the end of the day I would expect Rhodes to do enough to go through in a brutal and very entertaining match.

Stan Hansen was a journeyman that never made an impact in wrestling in North America. Dusty Rhodes was a multiple time world champion that basically shattered the illusion that you had to look like an actual professional athlete to be a top named wrestler. Without a doubt Rhodes is better in every tangible measure of victory and would proceed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back