WWE Region, Philadelphia Subregion, First Round: (6) Big Show vs. (27) Buddy Rogers

Who wins this match?

• Big Show

• Buddy Rogers

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Philadelphia Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

six_wells_fargo_center_ext_300.jpg

big_show3.jpg

#6. Big Show

Vs.

300_135022.jpg

#27. Buddy Rogers

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Lousy draw for Rogers. Big Show's just too far out of his league for Rogers to handle. Rogers was an innovative character in pro wrestling, no question, and was a huge influence on the business as a whole.

That being said, Big Show is just too big & too powerful for Rogers to handle.

I really wanna vote for nature boy here because I like him a lot and big show not so much. I can't really make a good argument other than I want rodgers to win so I won't vote here :/

Big show goes over here in a big way...Rogers was a great pro and the original "Nature Boy", but he's just not big enough or strong enough to fend off the Big Show...Mr. Wight is just a little too much man for even a great pro like Rogers to handle. Show dominates this matchup, with Buddy getting in little offense. A right to the jaw ends this mismatch after about 6 or 7 minutes...The Big Show moves on to another challenge.

For a giant Big Show loses rather regularly, his record really isn't that impressive when you think about it. I mean if Buddy Rogers was facing Andre the Giant it would be a different story but a number of people have taken down Big Show, most of which aren't nearly as good or influential as Buddy Rogers. I've seen Rey take down Show so the too big, too powerful argument can certainly be disputed in such a match up. In short, Big Show has often got his ass handed to him by a number of wrestlers, some of which are shorter and weaker than Buddy Rogers.

Rogers however was a great draw, the first guy to hold the NWA and WWWF title, a master technician and could get heat like no ones business. He has beaten a lot better than Show and is smart enough to chop block Show and throw him in the Figure 4 grapevine. Rogers would win this.

Show wins this. Buddy Rodgers doesn't stand a chance against Giant from 96-97 which was big show's prime. He was the hottest and most destructive thing in wrestling at the time. If every match in this tournament is judged off of a wrestlers prime then it's going to be a tough task for anyone to defeat The Giant that first appeared in WCW.

The argument "would he know how to handle a guy like this" is so worn out and misused that it beggars belief. But here it sort of holds water. Rogers was a successful wrestler, no doubt, but somebody like the Big Show has performed to many more audiences and is nothing like the sort of people Rogers faced. Perhaps the biggest pro Show argument though is the fact that he has been a huge success everywhere he's wrestled, something which isn't true of Rogers, and certainly something that he holds over the majority of wrestlers.

Deaner has mentioned it. Big Show has lost to smaller opponents than Buddy Rogers.

And Buddy Rogers is the original cocky heel. The original Nature Boy. He was booked stronger in his prime than Big Show. He would work Big Show's leg the whole match, Big Show makes a comeback, but Rogers would take him down and apply the Figure 4. Show taps.

I think Rogers is probably best remembered as the first WWWF champion. That really wasn't much of a reign at all. I don't think he matches up very well against the Giant. I think Show uses his size and strength to move on to the second round.

I accidentally voted for Rogers while watching something on tv so I messed up there. I just think Show is too big and too strong even though he doesn't have the best record. Rogers had a run with the title, but it just doesn't hold up against Show.

The most comparable guy to Big Show that Buddy Rogers met was probably Bruno Sammartino and he lost in less than a minute. I could see a match between him and Show resemble Bob Backlund vs Diesel.

[youtube]05nmyqCtw5o[/youtube]

..and Ric is far more experienced vs big men than Rogers was.

Look, I wanna make a case for Buddy. I really do. I'm definitely finding myself leaning towards old-school pre WM1 wrestlers+japanese in this tournament, they are the ones I wanna get over. I just can't find a way to convince myself in kayfabe that Rogers would be able to do a thing.

I DID consider something - Big Show has a propensity to submit. I remember a lot of times seeing Big Show frantically tapping out. Swagger, ADR, Cena, Punk, Taker etc. Buddy's got a shot if he can work on the leg enough. I just think this is a step too far and Big Show's likely to land any of his high impact moves and put Buddy away before he can grind, grind, grind down Big Show's leg enough for a takedown and submission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back