WWE Region, OKC Subregion, First Round: (2) Triple H vs. (31) Gorgeous George

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Triple H

• Gorgeous George

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it is really hard to predict a match with this much of a time gap, but I know that HHH is known for winning titles. If we are going with HHH in his prime then I am hard pressed to find someone in the whole tournament that would beat him let alone a 31 seed in the first round of a tournament. I am not discounting what George did, but HHH would find a way to win a match that he should win.

Oh Ech and his logic. Logic is nothing more than the ****e sister of mathematics and something I simply won't stand for.

Wanna know why Triple H wins this match.

1596376_o.gif

Did you see that? He just pedigreed an LP. That's a little person, its what they prefer to be called. If Triple H will do that to an LP, think what he would be willing to do to a full grown man.

You know Danny DeVito wrestling? I don't know really know, but Gorgeous is old, and old people in wrestling are often praised for innovating stuff. So yeah, Gorgeous George possibly could have maybe invented Danny DeVito wrestling. He was out there every day maybe training Danny Devitos allegedly.

Also this.

iL4LIr2qhBn5I.gif

That is the dance of Triple H's people. Their war dance if you will. Once they break out the shovels for the burying time dance, you know shit about to get real.

Oh yeah, that's also the dance of an unsatisfied lover. I do that dance everyday in the morning after a long night of you thrusting back and forth like a slinky.

Argh. Tough one this. On the one hand you have Triple H, someone who was the peak of most aspects of being a wrestler but actually hasn't really changed anything himself, just attempted to be like the old school NWA guys. Then on the other hand, you have Gorgeous George, a man who achieved little in terms of accolades but actually had an enormous lasting impact.

I think a vote for either is sensible, but for me, this goes to Triple H. Why? Because the point of Gorgeous George was to lose to the huge name face stars of the day, and although he's been a better heel for most of his career, in 2002 and in 2008 that's exactly what Triple H was. For that reason, I give this to Triple H.

I went back and forth on this, but one word put this in Triple H's favour for me: Evolution.

No, not that extremely overrated stable that dominated a terrible period of WWE history. I'm talking about the evolution of the wrestling business, and whilst Gorgeous George was the first and the pioneer of heel wrestling characters, to say that the pioneering days can't be improved upon is absurd, and heels have advanced since his period.

That's not to say Gorgeous George is bad, far from it, he was essential for the wrestling business, and only a handful of heels could go onto trump what he did. Enter Triple H.

Triple H will go down in history as one of the best wrestling heels in history, whatever way you look at it. He could play the badass heel who kicked major ass, he could play the cowardly heel who escaped with the victory every time, he could play the corporate heel who put down others to suit his own agendas. Triple H is one of the best heels to have graced the business because he damn well knew how to play every kind of heel. Gorgeous George was a one-trick pony who didn't have the benefit of hindsight that Triple H did to make himself as successful as he has become. It's sad but true.

While we're on the subject of HHH being more diverse, he could also be a major face as well as a major heel, the kind of face Gorgeous George would lose to if matched up with him.

Gorgeous George set the wheels in motion for heels. Triple H combined elements of George and other heels to successfully speed the wheel up. It's close, but HHH has enough to do it.

PS: Don't take this as an anti old-school post at all because it isn't.

The Triple H booking himself to win argument is a bit silly here, in my opinion. Triple H has gone over a lot of younger guys at one point or another. Orton and Punk and so on. But when it comes to veterans (not counting WCW veterans), Triple H has lost to a surprising amount of them. Remember Backlash 2002? Triple H lost to a 48 year old Hulk freakin' Hogan. He's also lost clean to Shawn Michaels in the Elimination Chamber. He tapped out to Benoit at Wrestlemania XX. How many times has he lost to Undertaker at this point?

When it comes to the kind of people that deserve real respect, Triple H won't book himself to win. Triple H would be reduced to a fanboy around Gorgeous George, and I don't think he'd book himself to win.

And I can honestly say right now, that I more respect for Gorgeous George than Triple H. George made pro wrestling what it is today. He showed what a character could be. He showed how a story could be told. And he was a big ol' draw. Anyone who was around during George's era said that people bought TV's just to watch him. And TV's weren't cheap back in those days.

Meanwhile, during Triple H's most consistent run as the head of Evolution, he turned people off WWE, myself included. Remember how terrible Raw was from 2003 till 2005 when Triple H was on screen for ridiculously long amounts of time. Man, that was boring.

George was hated and loved. But he was never boring. And he is the better professional wrestler, in my humblest of opinions.

Vote George.

Ric Flair, Batista and Randy Orton have their own battles to fight - they will not be in Trip's corner.

As far as what way I think the match might go... as previously discussed, Triple H pretty much regarded himself as an updated Harley Race while Ric Flair regarded himself as an updated Gorgeous George so I think I'll take my guide from the Race/ Flair rivalry. While the stats between these two is quite close (Flair 32; Race 25 and 20 draws) Race could not prevent Flair's dominance of the NWA. Using this train of thought, I believe that a George/ Hunter rivalry would work similarly and Gorgeous George edges through.

I just think if booking this tourney, it makes sense to advance Gorgeous George, the guy was the first "sports star" of the television era, and was a celebrity on the "Lucille Ball" level at the time.

Aside form Hogan(and possibly The Rock, but for him it occurred outside of wrestling) no other pro wrestler has achieved that level of pop culture relevance during their era.

Also George's promos would help to sell his match in any round that he advanced to, he would give the tournament a "Muhammad Ali" type of presence(he was the motivation for Clay's early trash talking). Outside of Hogan, this region needs a charismatic force on the mic, while Hunter's mic work at times can do just the opposite and drag down a show.

I vote Gorgeous George.

This is a battle of two mega-heels, and it's one that I see Hunter winning.

The way I'm at it is like this. Both men are famed for their dirty antics. But there's dirty and then there's dirty. If you've wrestled through the attitude era, then you know that dirty has evolved a lot since eye pokes, low blows and ref bumps.

It was only a couple of weeks ago that HHH pulled an elaborate ruse on someone, pretending to have them arrested legitimately and luring them into that position with false adornment of respect. He them proceeded to beat the hell out of him whilst he could barely retaliate, for about 10 straight minutes.

This, and an entire litany of not dissimilar despicable acts, are a level of depravity that Gorgeous George would know nothing of. HHH wins by striking him with a sledgehammer placed under the ring after 'accidentally' knocking down the referee. And that's not even when he's booking the match.

I mean this is tough. You can't really compare kayfabe primes here when the era gap was so huge. All I will say is - George's win/loss against the top guys isn't actually that solid. 0 wins, 5 defeats vs Lou Thesz. 1 wins, 3 defeats vs Fred Blassie. 1 win, 8 defeats vs Verne Gagne. 0 wins, 7 defeats vs Ed Carpentier. 1 win, 4 defeats vs Pat O'Connor. 0 wins 4 defeats vs Sammartino.

So first question, is HHH of that caliber? I'd say comparative to Blassie/Carpentier/O'Connor and not the other three personally. None the less, first point towards the Game.

Looking ahead in the tournament, the second round is looking likely to be Vs Blue Demon. While heel vs heel would still have appeal when it's two stars drawing as hugely as these two, that match confuses me. The heel Luchador clashing with the original heel. I find HHH working as a face in this and the next round as far more authentic and likely what the booking plans would be.

So I guess I take HHH - I do feel its a shame to lose one of the biggest draws from the competition but I can't go against that win/loss record when casting a vote here.

I respect Gorgeous George's contribution to the industry and I'm pretty sure that had he been around in the 1990s he may have won a lot more matches. Heels did not win a lot in the golden era and certainly not against top level talent. Yet, he was a sizable draw and the best heel wrestler of his time.

Triple H is a bit of the same except for the fact that he had the advantage of wrestling in an era where heels win quite a lot. But that is not the reason why I will be voting for Hunter. Character wise, I think that Hunter has a better kayfabe personality than George. George was your classic cowardly heel who had only one trick up his sleeve: cheating. Hunter is a lot like that, except he can be tough when he needs to be. Remember his matches against Mick Foley in 2000. Somehow, I do not think Gorgeous George can take that sort of punishment. Hunter is also much bigger than George. George is of the same size as HBK, Benoit, Punk and Angle and Hunter generally does well against the smaller guys.

My vote goes to HHH.

I'm voting for Triple H here, in a move that will surprise no one.

In my eyes, Triple H has been the number one guy in the wrestling world for the last 15 years. Sure, people like a the Rock, Austin and Central have come and gone. But Triple H was always there, always competing at the top level and always being the best at what he does.

Championships don't mean a damn here but Triple H has a proven track record for success and has been a legacy within the WWE - the location of this match. Triple H has to go over here. Simply put, Triple H doesn't lose often and it takes some serious know-how and talent to put The Game away. I don't think George has what it takes frankly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back