WWE Region, Memphis Subregion, First Round: (5) Edge vs. (28) Bobby Roode

Who Wins This Match?

• Edge

• Bobby Roode

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Memphis Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at the Fed Ex Forum in Memphis, Tennessee.

fedex-forum-26.jpeg

220px-Edge_World_Heavyweight_Champ.jpg

#5. Edge

Vs.

BobbyRoode1.JPG

#28. Bobby Roode

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Tough draw, Bobby. Edge is better than you in everything you're good at, which includes cheating. Edge with a handful of tights and feet on the ropes, but not after Roode gives the fans what they paid for.

This would be a great one. Roode and Edge are similar in more ways then one. Their backgrounds are nearly the same. Two Canadians who wrestled around as singles stars, then joined factions (The Brood, Team Canada,) later joined highly successful tag teams (E&C, Beer Money Inc,) and both broke away to be the more successful of their respected tag team partners. And, they recently cut their signature long locks. Its a match made in heaven.

Their ring-styles, which may not be exactly equivalent, are fairly similar. Edge has star power over Roode. Edge has experience over Roode, and all his accomplishments were done on a bigger scale. Edge wins this one.

Edge in something that I think isn't is as close as people think. It's almost like Edge is everything Bobby Roode wants to be. Not that Bobby couldn't pass his career accomplishments when Bobby is done, but for now, it's not close.

This is a tough draw for Roode, had he not come up against Edge so early on he could have done quite well in this tournament. But as it stands that's who he drew and this is where it ends for him.

Both men are gifted in ring performers and both can handle themselves on the mic, but Edge just has the extra star power and the experience to take this one away from Roode. It will be hard fought and a classic match but at the end I see Edge walking away, by hook or by crook, with his arm raised and if that isn't enough the spear will finish it off.

I want to preface that I really do like both of these guys. But I consider Edge over rated and Roode under in this tournament. Both can play the dirty character that wins no matter the cause.

To me Bobby Roode is as close to a perfect main event wrestler TNA has ever had. He's muscular but athletic and quick. He's excellent on the mic and has had tons of interesting feuds and matches durring the longest title run in history. While Edge is no slouch, to me Roode goes farther to win this match. Fair or not, Roode gets the upset win.

Without doubt, my vote is instantly going to Edge because he's everything he is - to me. However, I'm going to lend a hand to Bobby Roode here in helping people to evenly look at this.

Bobby Roode has accomplished something Edge never could - and now, never will. He held the Heavyweight Championship (of his Company) for longer than anyone else in 'said' Company. Furthermore, he's held the Championship longer in his first reign, than Edge has in any of his. Infact, Edge has only once held the Championship over 100 days. Bobby held his for 256. If anyone deserves to give him a run for his money, (no pun intended) Bobby has the abilities to win here.

Now, yes Edge had tougher opponents and more challenges, however the fact remains Edge was a top figure in the WWE and just couldn't hold the Championship very long at all. Bobby Roode became one of the most hated figures in TNA, and held the Championship almost 1-year.

Roode has the technical ability to match Edge, if not surpass him. Roode has the in-ring smarts to out-wit Edge at every turn, and that's exactly what this will come down to. Who can out think the other, in a game of wits and cheap tactics.

I'm picking Edge because I simply am. I'm playing that card. However, if Edge drops to Roode in round 1 - I wouldn't be surprised; and Roode would deserve every bit of that victory. Him being ranked 28th is a joke in its own right.

Bobby Roode, a wrestler I respect a lot, he has done TONS for TNA while being champion. A great rival for Edge indeed. However, Edge is the ultimate opportunist and has the experience in his favor. It sure could be a very interesting match to see, specially to see the heel antics from both men.

At the end like Edge would do *points at his head/brain*, the experience wins here in a 15 minute mark roughly with a surprise spear.

This apparently has the ability to turn into a seed makers are TNA bashers thread. However I will say Edge really did do it all in his career and more than Roode is ever likely to as there is only a 3 and a bit year age difference yes I know Edge retired early but I can only see Roode being around for a few more years. Don't think this was a fair seeding for Roode but oh well he is here but only for the first round Edge wins easy.

I enjoy Bobby Roode a whole lot more than I ever did Edge, but Edge won big matches and beat big stars. Bobby, no fault of his own, really hasn't.

Edge defied odds, usually by cheating. Unfortunately, I'm going with Edge, but I definitely think Bobby Roode is the better wrestler, just not as accomplished.

Edge defied odds, usually by cheating.

To be fair, Roode has never won any big matches without cheating. At least Edge has had a solid face run or 2 where he picked up some big clean wins.

I'm electing not to go that route, though. It just comes down to degree of difficulty to me. Roode hasn't faced the kind of competition that Edge has, yet he still only has one World Title reign to his name.

I'm going to go out of my way and put a little more input into a battle that im certain to lose.

Two home grown stars for their respective companies. Two tag team megastars. Two athletic guys who cheat to win. The Ultimate Opportunist, The "It" factor of professional wrestling. The seeding is 7 and 28? Bullshit. These two guys shouldn't be more than one seed apart. They're similar yes, but it's clear to me which of these two is the better wrestler. In a singles 1 fall match Bobby Roode beats Edge..

I think the best argument for Edge is his huge WWE title count, theres no questioning the guy was a star throughout his career. 14 time tag champ, 11 time world champ. Numbers for numbers Roode doesn't even come close. Consider though the longevity of Edge's career compared to Bobby's and I think it brings them a lot closer. According to Wikipedia (I will use this as my source for the rest of this writing) Edge's wrestling debut was 1992, Roode's was in 1998, a 6 year difference. Now lets look at their runs for their respective "major companies". Edge debuted in WWE in 1997 and retired about this time in 2011, 14 years. Roode came into TNA in 2004 and is currently still going in 2013, 9 years. As of right now Edge has a 35% longer career than Roode. Of course he's going to have more belts to his name. Lets do a little more with numbers though. Roode Debuted in 2004 and won the TNA world title in 2011, Edge debuted in 1997 and won his first WWE title in 2006. It took Edge nine years to be on top of his company, Roode did it in 7 years. Roode reached the top 20% sooner than Edge.

Right now you might be thinking "Brewski, it doesn't matter, WWE is the big time, anybody could be champ of the "B" company!". But what if I told you it was just as big of an accomplishment to win the TNA title as it is the WWE? Don't believe me just watch.

Since 2007(when the TNA title was formed) there have been 12 different men to hold the title through 22 separate reigns. in comparison over in WWE land there have been 13 WWE champions(30 reigns) and 20 different WHC title holders (37 reigns)! I think it's clear which of these titles gets passed around less. Also consider that WWE has two "top" titles. I put top in quotes because I think it's pretty clear which one is more valued. Take away Edge's 7 WHC Reigns and he's left with just 4 WWE title runs.

Stats Don't Lie.

Right, enough with the numbers, lets look at some intangibles. WWE values their home grown talent, it becomes pretty difficult to get pushed to the top if you're known from your work elsewhere. In TNA the opposite is true as they try to use established wrestlers to draw. Frankly, it's not easy to become a star in TNA if you weren't a star elsewhere. Since the TNA title came to be it has been passed around by the likes of Kurt Angle, Sting, Jeff Hardy, and even Mick Foley. Frankly, the easiest way to become TNA champion is by first being champ elsewhere. They don't just throw the belt around guy's waists. Since 2007 there have been about 4 TNA champs that I would consider truly "home grown", Joe, Aries, AJ, and Roode (Storm had a reign that lasted 8 days, barely counts). Three of those guys were ROH stars before as well but their mainstream fame is in TNA. It was a pretty big deal for Roode to get the belt, It's a bigger deal for him to be the longest champion in TNA history.

256 days Roode held the TNA title, nearly double ALL of Edge's WWE title runs combined. TNA pretty much had a new challenger for him every month and either by cheating or cleanly he would come out on top. Even in losing the title to Aries at Destination X he put on an incredible match. Should have been 2012 MOTY IMO. Then he went on to have the best match at every PPV even all the way to now. The man is at the peak of his career and puts on an incredible show. I assure you, several more title runs will come his way.

Roode Vs. Edge in a match would be something I would love to see. I think they match up so well stylistically that I would expect nothing more than perfection. Although Edge might be known as "the ultimate opportunist" Roode is smarter. Roode is better at taking advantage of his opponents. Edge might plan ahead and have his lackeys come out and make a save, Roode adapts to whats around him. Beer bottle left at ringside? Perfect way to win a match. We could argue, but IMO when Roode cheats, he does a better job of it.

Physically Bobby is stronger than Edge, I'll give speed a nod to the WWE guy. Technical wrestling, Roode. Brawling, Roode. Resiliency Roode.

Matches? Theres too many die hard Edge fans here for me to win this argument so I won't go in detail, but think about how many amazing Edge matches/moments involve Tables, Ladders, and Chairs? The makes the most of props. This isn't a gimmick match, and straight wrestling matches Bobby Roode puts on a way better performance.

Don't get me wrong now, I really do love Edge. But it is in my strong opinion that Bobby is the better pro wrestler. He has all the tools to be a great champion and could truly be a star in any promotion. Thank you for reading my argument, I leave you with this:

[YOUTUBE]QOrMoeZrxU[/YOUTUBE]

IT'S NICE TO BE ROODE

From an all around standpoint, this seems like a very even match to me. As far as ring skill goes, I think they're on about the same level, with Roode possibly having a slight edge. I think they're both on the same level when it comes to charisma and promo ability.

Roode's run as TNA World Heavyweight Champion was, in my opinion, more impressive than any of Edge's runs in WWE as champ. At the same time though, Roode's run was hurt, in my eyes, by the numerous flukey ways he used to ultimately remain the champion. Not saying that Edge didn't cheat to win his matches sometimes, as cheating is what heels do, but he did score clean wins during his run. Also the big match experience most definitely goes with Edge.

I'm fine if Roode or Edge goes over here. As I said, overall, I think they're about on the same level. I do think Edge will get the most votes here and ultimately go on as he was the big star in the much bigger company.

Roode has a large problem here - Edge's resume is far more impressive than his. Bobby is a phenomenal tag team wrestler and his World Title run was great stuff, but as much as I love just about everything he does, the fact that he's never been on as big of a stage as Edge and that he's never beaten the big names that Edge has beaten just dwarfs his achievements in comparison. Edge's 11 world titles and 11 tag team titles say it all; he's beaten the best of them and has accomplished nigh everything.

Edge wins by being the much bigger star, but I find Roode to be better.

The match would kick all sorts of ass, probably going about 20 minutes and ending with a quick spear. Edge would certainly be tested against Roode, no doubt about that.

On the surface I want to vote for Edge, but I voted for Roode. Something about this matchup screams first round upset to me. Bobby Roode had that long and successful world title reign, something that Edge never accomplished.

Fair or not, I just think that Edge has a lack of impressive non-gimmick match wins for me. I'm probably forgetting a ton of his better wins, but the stereotype of Edge is a gimmick match wrestler is hurting him. I'm really on the fence with this match, but I'm picking Roode.

On the surface I want to vote for Edge, but I voted for Roode. Something about this matchup screams first round upset to me. Bobby Roode had that long and successful world title reign, something that Edge never accomplished.

The problem I have with Roode's long title run is this: He never truly established himself as a credible champion during his run. Sure, he did what heels did, and got away with it, which is what Edge did time and again to retain his titles, and still, Roode had the long, definitive run that Edge never did. But Roode rarely won clean, never won non-title matches, and never got a big-name win, other then against an over-the-hill Sting. He then lost his title to Austin Aries, hardly a huge name star.

The further issue issue is in that this is in the WWE region, which means Roode won't have TNA refs calling his matches. In other words, he won't be able to hit a man with a beer bottle, have the glass left lying in the ring, and be able to get a pin from an incompetent referee.

Edge won many of his matches in the same way Roode did. Opportunistic, dirty, and manipulative, the Rated R Superstar won and defended 9 of his titles through duplicitous means. But he established during his last two reigns, and at other times in his career, that he could win and defend without cheating, something Roode never did during that reign. Further, he never beat anyone big during his reign, and Edge beat a who's who of HOF's throughout his career and title reigns.

While I don't doubt Roode would give Edge one hell of a fight, I think Edge would have one more trick up his sleeve then Roode, and the spear would end Roode at about 15 minutes. I'm glad to see Roode getting some love here, and he deserved a better draw, but he wouldn't beat Edge.

I'm going to go out of my way and put a little more input into a battle that im certain to lose.

Two home grown stars for their respective companies. Two tag team megastars. Two athletic guys who cheat to win. The Ultimate Opportunist, The "It" factor of professional wrestling. The seeding is 7 and 28? Bullshit. These two guys shouldn't be more than one seed apart. They're similar yes, but it's clear to me which of these two is the better wrestler. In a singles 1 fall match Bobby Roode beats Edge..

I think the best argument for Edge is his huge WWE title count, theres no questioning the guy was a star throughout his career. 14 time tag champ, 11 time world champ. Numbers for numbers Roode doesn't even come close. Consider though the longevity of Edge's career compared to Bobby's and I think it brings them a lot closer. According to Wikipedia (I will use this as my source for the rest of this writing) Edge's wrestling debut was 1992, Roode's was in 1998, a 6 year difference. Now lets look at their runs for their respective "major companies". Edge debuted in WWE in 1997 and retired about this time in 2011, 14 years. Roode came into TNA in 2004 and is currently still going in 2013, 9 years. As of right now Edge has a 35% longer career than Roode. Of course he's going to have more belts to his name. Lets do a little more with numbers though. Roode Debuted in 2004 and won the TNA world title in 2011, Edge debuted in 1997 and won his first WWE title in 2006. It took Edge nine years to be on top of his company, Roode did it in 7 years. Roode reached the top 20% sooner than Edge.

Right now you might be thinking "Brewski, it doesn't matter, WWE is the big time, anybody could be champ of the "B" company!". But what if I told you it was just as big of an accomplishment to win the TNA title as it is the WWE? Don't believe me just watch.

Since 2007(when the TNA title was formed) there have been 12 different men to hold the title through 22 separate reigns. in comparison over in WWE land there have been 13 WWE champions(30 reigns) and 20 different WHC title holders (37 reigns)! I think it's clear which of these titles gets passed around less. Also consider that WWE has two "top" titles. I put top in quotes because I think it's pretty clear which one is more valued. Take away Edge's 7 WHC Reigns and he's left with just 4 WWE title runs.

Stats Don't Lie.

Right, enough with the numbers, lets look at some intangibles. WWE values their home grown talent, it becomes pretty difficult to get pushed to the top if you're known from your work elsewhere. In TNA the opposite is true as they try to use established wrestlers to draw. Frankly, it's not easy to become a star in TNA if you weren't a star elsewhere. Since the TNA title came to be it has been passed around by the likes of Kurt Angle, Sting, Jeff Hardy, and even Mick Foley. Frankly, the easiest way to become TNA champion is by first being champ elsewhere. They don't just throw the belt around guy's waists. Since 2007 there have been about 4 TNA champs that I would consider truly "home grown", Joe, Aries, AJ, and Roode (Storm had a reign that lasted 8 days, barely counts). Three of those guys were ROH stars before as well but their mainstream fame is in TNA. It was a pretty big deal for Roode to get the belt, It's a bigger deal for him to be the longest champion in TNA history.

256 days Roode held the TNA title, nearly double ALL of Edge's WWE title runs combined. TNA pretty much had a new challenger for him every month and either by cheating or cleanly he would come out on top. Even in losing the title to Aries at Destination X he put on an incredible match. Should have been 2012 MOTY IMO. Then he went on to have the best match at every PPV even all the way to now. The man is at the peak of his career and puts on an incredible show. I assure you, several more title runs will come his way.

Roode Vs. Edge in a match would be something I would love to see. I think they match up so well stylistically that I would expect nothing more than perfection. Although Edge might be known as "the ultimate opportunist" Roode is smarter. Roode is better at taking advantage of his opponents. Edge might plan ahead and have his lackeys come out and make a save, Roode adapts to whats around him. Beer bottle left at ringside? Perfect way to win a match. We could argue, but IMO when Roode cheats, he does a better job of it.

Physically Bobby is stronger than Edge, I'll give speed a nod to the WWE guy. Technical wrestling, Roode. Brawling, Roode. Resiliency Roode.

Matches? Theres too many die hard Edge fans here for me to win this argument so I won't go in detail, but think about how many amazing Edge matches/moments involve Tables, Ladders, and Chairs? The makes the most of props. This isn't a gimmick match, and straight wrestling matches Bobby Roode puts on a way better performance.

Don't get me wrong now, I really do love Edge. But it is in my strong opinion that Bobby is the better pro wrestler. He has all the tools to be a great champion and could truly be a star in any promotion. Thank you for reading my argument, I leave you with this:

[YOUTUBE]QOrMoeZrxU[/YOUTUBE]

IT'S NICE TO BE ROODE

Lol wow. This is incredible, repped and admired.

Ok so I think I've been convinced. I argued against Bully Ray by claiming being champion in TNA is representative of upper midcard in WWE. Your point about TNA wanting to push established talent is true however and I take that on board.

I mean, if we look at everything in kayfabe, Rhyno jumps from perennial midcard in WWE and is World Title level in TNA. This doesn't mean that you can't be a shark in a pond though. Angle is/was a bonafide main event star in the WWE. I'd argue he was top three in the company from the time he won his first title to leaving, he was CERTAINLY consistently top 5. At times being the ace.

He steps to TNA, ofc he's gonna be world champion. Same to a lesser degree for Jeff Hardy and Sting. Both would be main eventing WWE if they went there.

So the question is - is Bobby Roode on that level? Because he certainly has to be to deal with a prime Edge, who was a bigger star than Jeff Hardy in WWE and probably only slightly under Angle in the rankings.

I think Bobby Roode is great. I think he's really, really, really great. And I think he is custom made to dominate WWE. Accepting that, we can place him in the WWE main event for a comparison.

From 2005 Edge was an everpresent in the title scene. Winning Royal Rumbles, main eventing Wrestlemanias, he did it all. Bobby Roode literally needs to be CM Punk level to be able to have a chance against Edge here.

I mean just for the match itself, either man can win. Both cheat, Edge probably jobs slightly more but has beaten more big names.

I'm so close to being convinced for Bobby Roode but I think i'm still voting Edge. I think this tournament has come 1-2 years too soon for Roode. If he continues to establish and take over Kurt Angle as the face of TNA, this would be a no-brainer. I'm voting Edge, but when I came to this thread I didn't expect to have to make a decision. This is a huge advocate for why you HAVE to read a thread before you pick an option, and the entire reason I love this tournament.

So the question is - is Bobby Roode on that level? Because he certainly has to be to deal with a prime Edge, who was a bigger star than Jeff Hardy in WWE and probably only slightly under Angle in the rankings.

I think that WWE and TNA are stylistically very different and, well, looking at TNA's roster I think there are very few guys that I think would succeed if they were put in WWE. Roode is one of those guys for me. WWE's roster is so big you really do need a special "It" factor (no pun inten... no fuck that, thats a good as pun! TUROPUNS!) to stand out to become a successful champion. I really think Bobby Roode has that special combination of talents that sets him apart in wrestling. His gimmick is somewhat similar to an ADR or JBL but he is a far better wrestler than JBL and a WAY better talker than ADR. IMO a better wrestler than ADR too. He has the talent to be on top of WWE.

I think that WWE and TNA are stylistically very different and, well, looking at TNA's roster I think there are very few guys that I think would succeed if they were put in WWE. Roode is one of those guys for me. WWE's roster is so big you really do need a special "It" factor (no pun inten... no fuck that, thats a good as pun! TUROPUNS!) to stand out to become a successful champion. I really think Bobby Roode has that special combination of talents that sets him apart in wrestling. His gimmick is somewhat similar to an ADR or JBL but he is a far better wrestler than JBL and a WAY better talker than ADR. IMO a better wrestler than ADR too. He has the talent to be on top of WWE.

I'd agree with this. My best guess is he'd rise to a higher level than ADR with some ease and probably eclipse JBL. I'd put Edge over both of them too though just for being a fixture in the main event for 5 years+ rather than a few (very good in JBL's case) title runs.

I never got it with Bobby Roode. I see him, and I see mediocre. Clearly, I'm in the minority, and so be it, but there's no way I can vote for anyone else. In an age where people essentially get thrown in at the deep end, or never make it, Edge made it gradually to the top, and headlined WrestleMania. That's to be applauded. Roode did something similar, but on a much smaller scale. He's out of his depth here and will go out of the tournament.

I'm going with Bobby here for two reasons:

1) I don't buy into the whole WWe record > TNA record for a very simple reason, any of the guys who won this competition who made their names in a time when the WWF was full of former WCW mid carders (SCSA, Mick Foley, Triple H, Undertaker, Kane) and previous unknowns (Rock, Angle). Nobody marks them down because they where not facing the Hogans, Savages and Stings.

2) Edge's fame was based on being opportunistic and that isn't an easy thing to do in a tournament where your opponent knows that your coming. If Edge's title reigns proved anything, he struggled once he'd cashed in on being opportunistic. Bobby proved once he had taken his opportunity that he was incredibly tenacious at holding the brass ring. Take away the element of surprise and I definitely think Bobby's record has the edge on Edge.

This is a really interesting match. I respect the arguments for Roode. If this exact match took place in the tournament next year I might vote for Roode. For now though, it's Edge. He's just more accomplished at this point. I'm not saying Roode needs to be a ten time champion to eventually get by Edge but I'd like to see him prove he's going to stay in the main event consistently after losing the title. Will Roode's stock continue to rise or is he going to be another Miz?

You could probably argue that Roode's run as TNA world champ was more meaningful than any of Edge's run as WWE/WHC champ, but Edge has the overall body of work to put him in the next round. Give it another 4-5 years and this should be much closer, but at this point in his career Roode doesn't stack up.

You could probably argue that Roode's run as TNA world champ was more meaningful than any of Edge's run as WWE/WHC champ, but Edge has the overall body of work to put him in the next round. Give it another 4-5 years and this should be much closer, but at this point in his career Roode doesn't stack up.

No you couldn't. My goal is to bust this myth that title reign length=quality. It doesn't. In fact, I'd argue that Edge's first reign is easily the most valuable one he's ever had and one of the best reigns in the last number of years. First off, it drew money and lots of it (the rating for the next night's Raw is still the highest in a decade) and secondly, it showed the value of the Money in the Bank briefcase and drew money for future holders in that their ability to be unpredictable with it. His cash in brought an aura of unpredictability to television as long as someone held the briefcase. That is something that will forever be remembered. Unfortunately for Mr. Roode, there's nothing about his title reign that's memorable. He won it, held it for a while, and then lost it to an up and comer. He did just fine with it and respect to him, but he didn't change the game. Edge did. This is an easy one for Edge.

If you look at Roode's title defences on PPV it was basically like Edges as a heel.
Turning Point 2011: Pinned AJ Styles while holding his tights
Final Resolution 2011: Time limit draw with AJ Styles in an ironman match
Genesis 2012: DQ loss to Jeff Hardy
Against All Odds 2012: Pinned Jeff Hardy in a fatal fourway after Sting hit Hardy in the head with a steel chair
Victory Road 2012: Non title match against Sting won after sting was attempting his finisher and hit the back of his head on a steel chair.
Lockdown 2012: Literally fell out of the steel cage after James Storm hit him with his finisher to win via escaping the cage
Sacrifice 2012: Beat RVD in a ladder match I can't really remember the match but I think he trapped RVD's right leg in the ladder. I slept through the last few minutes I was tired and woke up when Roode was pulling down the belt.
Slammiversary 2012: Hit Sting over the head with a beer bottle when the ref had his back turned and after the match Sting beat him silly.
He also made 3 title defences on Impact:
Beat AJ Styles in an ironman match 1-0 with the only fall being Styles getting counted out
Beat Jeff Hardy in a no dq match after Kurt Angle beat the crap out of Hardy
Beat AJ Styles I don't remember this match

Roode vs Edge I would compare this match in all honesty to a match of JBL vs Edge. Either way I would say Edge wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back