WWE Region, Cairo Subregion, First Round: (13) Ed Lewis vs. (20) Kerry Von Erich

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Ed Lewis

• Kerry Von Erich

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Cairo Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at Cairo International Stadium in Cairo, Egypt.

cairo_stadium1.jpg

04.jpg

#13. Ed Lewis

Vs.

1139908-kerryve.jpg

#20. Kerry Von Erich

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Because I don't feel like typing up some long winded response about how Strangler Lewis obviously wins this match, I'll just rehash my main points from last year...

- Ed Lewis is the man that invented professional wrestling as we know it today. Feuds, cards, kayfabe? He pioneered all of that.

- Ed Lewis drew a record gate of 40,000 with a near $100,000 profit that stood for decades. And he did it purely on word of mouth advertising.

- Ed Lewis is 10 time world champion in a time period when only the undisputed best in every facet of pro wrestling got to wear the belt. He was the Hogan of the 30's.

- He invented moves that just about every pro wrestler, big name and jobber, still use. Like the sleeper. Even though his version was technically a headlock sleeper. Wrestlers still use the headlock today right? Just checking.

- Ed Lewis wrestled [a documented] 6700 matches and only lost 30 times. He only lost in kayfabe when he wanted to lose in kayfabe. When it was profitable. Kerry Von Erich was never at any point in time considered to be the most popular wrestler in the world. The men that beat Lewis were either considered the best in the world, or he was putting them over for his own personal gain. So in the game of "feuding" Lewis would win every time.

I'd also like to add that Lewis was highly charismatic and was a fantastic talker. The reason why the idea of "feuding through media storylines" took is that Lewis was so good at spinning stories and making people believe them. it also helped that his partners were just as charismatic and clever as he was. That's the reason the "goldust trio" dominated wrestling for so long.

Also in another great historical ironies even though Lewis hated show wrestling and thought wrestling should remain scientific, he probably would have taken to the theatrical nature of modern with the music and fancy entrances and clothing, considering he did all that stuff outside the ring anyway. He and Ric Flair would have been total bro's if they had lived in the same era.

I've rambled enough. Don't be stupid. Vote Ed Lewis.

Because I don't feel like typing up some long winded response about how Strangler Lewis obviously wins this match, I'll just rehash my main points from last year...

- Ed Lewis is the man that invented professional wrestling as we know it today. Feuds, cards, kayfabe? He pioneered all of that.

- Ed Lewis drew a record gate of 40,000 with a near $100,000 profit that stood for decades. And he did it purely on word of mouth advertising.

- Ed Lewis is 10 time world champion in a time period when only the undisputed best in every facet of pro wrestling got to wear the belt. He was the Hogan of the 30's.

- He invented moves that just about every pro wrestler, big name and jobber, still use. Like the sleeper. Even though his version was technically a headlock sleeper. Wrestlers still use the headlock today right? Just checking.

- Ed Lewis wrestled [a documented] 6700 matches and only lost 30 times. He only lost in kayfabe when he wanted to lose in kayfabe. When it was profitable. Kerry Von Erich was never at any point in time considered to be the most popular wrestler in the world. The men that beat Lewis were either considered the best in the world, or he was putting them over for his own personal gain. So in the game of "feuding" Lewis would win every time.

I'd also like to add that Lewis was highly charismatic and was a fantastic talker. The reason why the idea of "feuding through media storylines" took is that Lewis was so good at spinning stories and making people believe them. it also helped that his partners were just as charismatic and clever as he was. That's the reason the "goldust trio" dominated wrestling for so long.

Also in another great historical ironies even though Lewis hated show wrestling and thought wrestling should remain scientific, he probably would have taken to the theatrical nature of modern with the music and fancy entrances and clothing, considering he did all that stuff outside the ring anyway. He and Ric Flair would have been total bro's if they had lived in the same era.

I've rambled enough. Don't be stupid. Vote Ed Lewis.

There is only one thing you said here that I can dispute you on.

In 1984, it's arguable that Kerry Von Erich was the most popular wrestler in the world. Hogan was still taking off in the WWF, and with his win over Flair at the Parade of Champions, Von Erich hysteria was at it's absolute peak... with Kerry leading the way. Not that it necessarily means a lot, but that year, even PWI had him as their Most Popular wrestler, and from what I've always understood, their vote results were legit. They just kayfabed the actual totals.

Other than that, everything you said about Lewis is true, and even with as popular as Von Erich was at his peak, the Strangler isn't going to do the honors for him in the first round.

Ed Lewis in a walk.

There is only one thing you said here that I can dispute you on.

In 1984, it's arguable that Kerry Von Erich was the most popular wrestler in the world. Hogan was still taking off in the WWF, and with his win over Flair at the Parade of Champions, Von Erich hysteria was at it's absolute peak... with Kerry leading the way. Not that it necessarily means a lot, but that year, even PWI had him as their Most Popular wrestler, and from what I've always understood, their vote results were legit. They just kayfabed the actual totals.

Other than that, everything you said about Lewis is true, and even with as popular as Von Erich was at his peak, the Strangler isn't going to do the honors for him in the first round.

Ed Lewis in a walk.

I don't know all that much about Kerry aside from the fact that he was world champion, and was popular. Strangler still has Kerry defeated in longevity, he was consistently at the top of the card for longer, he was more charismatic, won more titles, and pretty much did whatever he wanted whenever the fuck he wanted.

So yeah, totally agree. Lewis wins.

As has been pointed out, Ed "Strangler" Lewis is essentially one of the three men responsible for he overall layout of professional wrestling as we know it today, with the other two men being promoters Billy Sandow and Toots Mondt. This "Gold Dust Trio", as they were often referred to, pretty much dominated pro wrestling during the 1920s. In terms of technical ability, Lewis was really the very first THE MAN" in pro wrestling and was Lou Thesz's mentor & teacher.

Kerry Von Erich was a pretty good example of the more modern depiction of professional wrestling: he made all the girls go wild, he had a fantastic physique, was a genuinely good athlete, looked like he could take someone apart but he had no real, legit technical knowhow.

Just by looking at pictures of the two, you'd figure that Kerry Von Erich would mangle this "normal" looking guy without much of an effort because, as humans, we rely far more on sight as a species as it's the most developed of our senses. Because Kerry Von Erich has a physique and stature that strikes pretty much anybody as more impressive, it's natural to believe that he'd take this far smaller, far less athletic looking gentleman apart at will but, in reality, that's simply not how a fight works.

Now in terms of sheer raw strength and overall athletic ability, Kerry Von Erich is physical superior and could wear Lewis down if Lewis didn't take him serious enough. If Lewis screwed around with Von Erich, it's not impossible to imagine that Kerry getting a win but I don't see Lewis screwing around with Von Erich's obvious strength and athleticism. That's not to say that Von Erich didn't have any grappling training of course, but Lewis was one of the all time great hookers in the business and there's no comparison in their technical skills.

Kerry Von Erich was immensely popular at one point when WCCW was genuinely one of the top promotions in the world. Kerry Von Erich's winning of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship always struck me as more of a tribute to his brother David won the title at the inaugural David Von Erich Memorial Parade of Champions event. Considering the show was generally promoted as a tribute, it needed that big feel good moment. However, he dropped the title back to Flair less than 3 weeks later and if I'm not mistaken, Kerry had begun developing or had already developed a reputation for being unreliable due to drug use and his reputation never really recovered. So whereas Kerry Von Erich's one and only World Championship run was ultimately little more than a vanity run to give fans a feel good moment, Ed Lewis' title runs were truly legit. Lewis' four runs with the early catch as catch can World Heavyweight Championship, the one won originally by Georg Hackenschmidt and would eventually be grafted into the lineage of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, lasted a combined total of 3,057 days.

I think Kerry would surprise Lewis if Lewis just sorta dicked around with him but, otherwise, I think Lewis takes it.

Now in terms of sheer raw strength and overall athletic ability, Kerry Von Erich is physical superior and could wear Lewis down if Lewis didn't take him serious enough. If Lewis screwed around with Von Erich, it's not impossible to imagine that Kerry getting a win but I don't see Lewis screwing around with Von Erich's obvious strength and athleticism. That's not to say that Von Erich didn't have any grappling training of course, but Lewis was one of the all time great hookers in the business and there's no comparison in their technical skills.

One minor correction. Ed Lewis was not a small man. He was 5'10 and fluctuated between 240 and 260. When he was out of shape years later he was over 300. Lewis was as strong as an ox and had tremendous balance, and his vertical base made it extremely difficult to take him down. He was pretty much the ultimate defensive wrestler. We would wear opponents down with his crushing grip and mammoth strength. As a teen he was reportedly capable of lifting 300 pound salt barrels and carrying 100 pounds bags of flour two at a time. Which he did day in and day out.

Kerry was what, 6'3 250? Pretty much a difference in height rather than bulk.

I have not voted for Londos because I don't believe you can really compare him to modern wrestlers, and I ought not to vote for Lewis for similar reasons. However, while Londos was popular at the time, there's not much evidence of his direct influence on future generations. Not so with Lewis, and given that Kerry von Erich was never all that, it has to be a Lewis win here.

Kerry Von Erich had a tremendous upside and potential which was never truly fulfilled.

I don't care enough about the origins of pro wrestling to do anything other than concede that based on the information put forward in this match, to give the match over to Ed Lewis.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Golfing

Logic: Oh, boy. Didn't Kerry Von Erich lose a foot or something? How your feet are set really matters for a good clean swing. Ed Lewis also doesn't look too bulky. I imagine that too much muscle would make it hard for your rotation. I guess I'll take Ed Lewis by a few strokes.

Winner: Ed Lewis.

Strangler came up with it all, and was the pioneer and main draw for the 1930s. Kerry Von Erich was the darling of Dallas and was a good draw to be honest. He couldn't translate that in WWF and all but for WCCW he was THE man among all his brothers.

But I'd give this to Ed, because I have been swayed to be honest by the posts above me. I was thinking Kerry when I came in.

Good job posters.

You say Ed Lewis and the first thing that pops to my mind is strangler. His nickname comes to mind when a generic name like Ed Lewis is said. That is how big he was. Kerry von Erich is known for committing suicide and being part of the von Erich family. Its not to say he wasn't good or a big name in Texas, but he isn't one of the key figures of wrestling history.

Ed Lewis wins it.

One minor correction. Ed Lewis was not a small man. He was 5'10 and fluctuated between 240 and 260. When he was out of shape years later he was over 300. Lewis was as strong as an ox and had tremendous balance, and his vertical base made it extremely difficult to take him down. He was pretty much the ultimate defensive wrestler. We would wear opponents down with his crushing grip and mammoth strength. As a teen he was reportedly capable of lifting 300 pound salt barrels and carrying 100 pounds bags of flour two at a time. Which he did day in and day out.

Kerry was what, 6'3 250? Pretty much a difference in height rather than bulk.

Lewis was also capable of legitimately killing someone easily with one of his hooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back