WWE No Mercy: WWE Universal Championship - Brock Lesnar (c) VS Braun Strowman

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by Jack-Hammer, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

After Lesnar was decimated by Strowman during the opening segment of tonight's Raw, we all had to suspect that they'd wind up going 1 on 1 soon for the title and WWE made the match official later on in the show as the main event for No Mercy.

My gut tells me that Lesnar will retain after a really competitive match; I just don't see Lesnar dropping the Universal Championship outside of one of the original big four ppvs of the Royal Rumble, WrestleMania SummerSlam and Survivor Series. I wouldn't have any complaints if Lesnar dropped the title to Strowman at No Mercy, it's possible it could go down but it's looking more and more like Lesnar will keep the title until WrestleMania to Roman Reigns.

2. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

Sunday night showed me that their Wrestlemania main event should be Lesnar vs. Strowman. It seems too soon to be having this match.

I'm sure Braun will look strong. A quick decimation of Brockley before losing by a fluke in about 8 minutes. It just seems a waste to throw this on a B show.

3. Dmbfantomas

Dmbfantomas Bald Billy was Better

Strowman wins at No Mercy, rematch happens at Survivor Series. Hopefully the SS match happens in a Hell in a Cell.

I just bought tickets for No Mercy because of this match.

4. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

Braun Strowman should win if WWE actually wants to build a star outta him. You should strike the iron when it's hot and now is the right time to do that. No Mercy may not be a big PPV but Brock shouldn't defeat Braun Strowman. A screwy finish could be done to further this feud until Survivor Series where Strowman actually defeats Brock Lesnar and I won't mind any of that. But Braun Strowman should get this huge rub.

@smarkmouth likes this.
  5. JoeMallard

JoeMallard Getting Noticed By Management

Hope Braun wins so we don't have to see Lesnar lose it to Reigns at Wrestlemania.

6. HORRORHOLIC

HORRORHOLIC Pre-Show Stalwart

It's a mistake to waste this match instead of saving it for Wrestlemania. The worst part is I think they're still gonna go with Reigns vs Lesnar, which fans clearly don't wanna see. Plus I thinks Reigns vs Cena would be better for Wrestlemania anyway.

7. adam

adam Pre-Show Stalwart

WWE long range plans did project a series of 1 and done matches for Lesnar
    which presumably would finish with Reigns beating Lesnar at WM. If that's the case, they are repeating their mistakes from 2015

8. The Perfect Max

The Perfect Max I Am Jericho

If the original plans stand, then this should just be a one and done job. But I can't see it happening, purely because I can't see Seth Rollins or Finn Bálor getting their supposed shots as they're busy elsewhere and nowhere near believable in beating Lesnar.

I hope this is good. It should be very good, and given a good 10-15 minutes will be just the right amount of time to show off how Strowman can hold his own physically to Lesnar, which is something nobody has shown they can do. Samoa Joe perhaps to an extent can, but Strowman can throw around Lesnar like Lesnar throws around Cena. It's going to be an entertaining brawl anyway. As to who wins is the big question, but this is the third consecutive pay-per-view for Lesnar. If he can keep up his appearances, then I actually don't mind the reign continuing. I just don't want a long period again where the Universal Championship is nowhere to be seen. I suppose Strowman could also win, though I still fear it maybe is a tad too soon. I don't know about that one. As a fan, I would love it. But I wouldn't want this to be too soon.

One option I was thinking of was potentially having this end with Lesnar retaining, perhaps having a rematch, having a match with Lesnar vs. Reigns before WrestleMania, and then having a triple threat match at WrestleMania: Lesnar vs. Strowman vs. Reigns, where Strowman picks up the title there. He's the most deserving in my mind and I think his inclusion is much more satisfying. Just a thought a little off topic, but I'm excited for Strowman and his future.

9. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

I believe that Lesnar will retain here and this will be an one and done deal. But how about we do something else?

So, I'd have Lesnar beat Strowman here. However after the match, Strowman attacks Lesnar and manages to do what no man has ever done. Take Brock Lesnar out. The Beast is "injured".
    The next night on RAW, the title gets vacated and Strowman wins it in a big match, like a tournament or a battle royal or a 6-pack match.

That accomplishes many things:
    a) it puts the belt back on RAW
    b) it elevates Strowman, because even he lost to Lesnar, he still managed to take out the best after the match and injure him
    c) it turns Strowman into an absolute threat
    d) it builds a return angle for Lesnar against Strowman in a hot rematch that can elevate Strowman even higher

PS: Plus they are trying to turn Lesnar back into the BEAST he was, hence that's why after Summerslam ended it felt like he "overcame the odds". Beating Strowman is another obstacle in Brock's way. Being injured, coming back earlier but "still injured" (in order to sell the angle) and taking back his title will push Lesnar even further.

10. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Jeff Deliverer of Mail Money for nothin, chicks for free
    E-Fed Mod

Strowman is the hottest act in wrestling. This one match will be the biggest reason I tune into No Mercy when it comes on. Can't wait!

11. Aeon Mathix

Aeon Mathix Has Ascended

I really don't know who is going to win here. I, as most people are pretty sadly convinced it will just be Reigns beating Lesnar at Mania for the title which no one but Vince wants to see. I mean I can even go for them having a grudge match where Reigns sends him packing, but the Universal title can definitely be used elsewhere. That match wouldn't need it, but Vince has to have his happy ending.

What a moment it would be though for Strowman to win the title in dominating fashion. Goldberg did it last year, but that can kind of be written off as fluke as Brock pretty much dominated him at Mania. This would be different. Multiple powerslams and chaos with Strowman pinning Lesnar clean. You can even throw an injury angle into it so Brock can leave until the Rumble or so, come back and win it facing Strowman again at Mania where Braun wins once and for all to send Lesnar off into the sunset.

I never like rematches at WrestleMania but I wouldn't mind it in this case. Braun looks like a damn star (he already does) and becomes the local "beast" filling Lesnar's void that he will leave. Plus the guy has put on some of the best matches of the year despite his size. Have him run through the locker room post Mania into the Summer and eventually have someone "conquer" him getting a huge rub. Basically what's going on with Lesnar just Strowman would be around every week.

12. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Frankly I hope they practically kill one another. What WWE have on there hands is not one properly booked monster, but two and they're about to be unleashed against one another. The booking should reflect that. Strowman has been protected, allowed to gain the upper hand on Lesnar multiple times and hasn't even been remotely victimised by Brock - he wasn't even subject to Suplex City or an F5 at SummerSlam.

Flushing that down the toilet by having Lesnar just beating him wouldn't work and merely escaping him like he did Joe would be serviceable, but the real money to me is having the two just totally destroying each other to the point that the match has to be called off and a gimmick rematch has to be done down the line. There's money in a longer promo between these two, as long as they protect Braun and keep Brock looking vulnerable but still capable of being the 'Conqueror'.

Give me carnage. Well booked, inconclusive carnage.

Wildcat66 likes this.
  13. adam

adam Pre-Show Stalwart

Be interesting how they book this match for there are reports Lesnar is going to be gone until the Royal Rumble. If they are okay with an absentee champion for 4 months, that's fine but it's bad for business.

14. Starkist

Starkist (To Rip) The Heart From Your Hate

I wish Smackdown Live would keep Mahal of the show for four months. Brock not being on TV with the title does not bother me. When he shows up, it feels that much more important that the Champion came back to whoop some ass.

For this match, I hope WWE does not allow Strowman to get the early advantage to where after say eight minutes pass, Lesnar just comes back and takes Strowman to Suplex City. This would be bad for Strowman and his booking if he is continued to be billed as the Monster Among Men. Taking him to Suplex City would take that important piece of Strowman away which would make him look weak. Not sure how this goes, but I see Lesnar winning the match and taking a month or two vacation afterwards.

15. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So after seeing lesnar get dominate yet again by strowman, I have this weird feeling that at no mercy, they will do the opposite and have lesnar dominate strowman which would be a mistake a this point.

Like it or not, strowman is the flavor of the month, by that he's the hottest thing going right now. They could try and build him up so that you get another option as far as the number 1 guy is concerned on raw if reigns gets injured. But I kinda see strowman as just another samoa joe in this scenario. He's just a stepping stone for lesnar so that he can look dominant goig into mania.

16. JoeMallard

JoeMallard Getting Noticed By Management

So Strowman has been the flavor of the month since January? Nobody gives a shit about Reigns getting yet another stupid crowning moment at Wrestlemania. You Reigns nut huggers are ridiculous.

17. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

Sorry joe if you took my comment out of context. Next time before angry about somebody's post, please try to understand the post that you're getting upset about.

I praise strowman in my comment and I want to see him succeed and become a big star so that they don't have to put everything on reigns shoulders. Plus I'm sordy but I'm gettimg sick and tired of you roman reigns haters generalizing everything like writing that nobody cares about reigns getting anther wrestlemania moment when you know damn well that's not true.

18. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Unless plans have changed backstage, I still see Lesnar coming out with the win here though I'm not sure if that's the best option at this point. Fans have really, really embraced Strowman to a degree that I don't think any of us was really expecting, especially over the last few months. At the same time though, within the same time period, Lesnar has become almost as interesting as he was when he first returned to WWE. For me personally, it's been great seeing Brock Lesnar return to being in actual matches where he's actually competing, where his opponents are booked as threats to him. It's what's made his last couple of matches genuinely feel like "must see" matches as opposed to him decimating a modern star within a few minutes as if they're nothing.

Part of me feels that it'd be better if they waited a while longer on Strowman but, at the same time, Strowman has shown over the course of this year that he's VASTLY more ready to be a World Champion in WWE than the current WWE Champion.

19. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

In all honesty, it would be cool as hell to see Strowman come out of this as the Champion. Having said that, though, I'm pretty sure that they're aiming towards a Reigns/Lesnar main event at Wrestlemania. So it will likely be a pretty good knockout drag out battle, but Strowman is going to lose to the reigning defending undisputed Universal Champion; BROOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK LESSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

20. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

I think there a way that they could do both. Lesnar isn't schedule to be on raw until nex year if you believe what been reported. So you could have lesnar drop the belt to strowman in two weeks, lesnar takes his haitus and at the rumble, he wins back the title and you go with your reigns/lesnar program for mania.

This would accomplish 2 thing in my opinion, first it would keep the title on tv until brock comes back, and it would test the sudden poularity of strowman because let face it, right now he's super over, but that's mostly because of roman reigns. The guy hasn't really been tested outside of this feud and this would be the ultimate test to see if he got what it take to be a main event star or not.

21. @smarkmouth

@smarkmouth Friendly Neighborhood

Well, I'm pumped! I recognize the descent some of you have about this being a Wrestlemania match, and I don't disagree with you. But I love when the big matches get on the b-ppvs. The logistics of Wrestlemania don't often afford every match on the card as much time as they should have. On a B-PPV, they can give a big match as much time as it needs without worrying too much about the entire card. Think of the Shield triple threat match. Yeah, it could have been squeezed into a jam packed SummerSlam, but instead it got the time it needed at Battleground of yesteryear. Same thing is happening with this match, and for that reason I'm excited.

I'm hoping Braun takes this. I'm sure the plan was for Lesnar to beat everyone until Roman Reigns at Wrestlemania, but they can't ignore the response Braun is getting. They'd be taking a big risk if they don't alter course on this. Strowman has to win, and decisively. Not saying Lesnar looks like a putz, but if Strowman wins clean, the result is ultimately positive.

22. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

The result is obvious and I don't get how any of you have seen it yet. WWE is booking Lesnar as an underdog that must overcome odds. They started it with Goldberg. They did it again at Summerslam, making it a Lesnar vs all thing with Lesnar also putting his carreer on the line and now they have Strowman look bigger and badder than Brock Lesnar. Lesnar will conquer Strowman and move on. It would be nice to give Strowman a small title run and have Lesnar come back for revenge, but I don't think they're going to break Lesnar's full year title run into two parts. However the possibility excites me.

I mean, who else would Lesnar face? Balor? Wyatt? They're not even close to the momentum Strowman has. They only other big name is Rollins but they might want to protect him instead of feeding him to Brock.

I'll say it again. Have Strowman win somehow. This has the potential to be a great long running feud.

23. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

WWE isn't booking Lesnar as an underdog. They are booking him as a dominant champion. But in order to keep his mystique looking as good as possible, he needs to be facing [and beating] the most ferocious opponents. Opponents that look like they can hang with, and potentially defeat, a monster like Lesnar. This match is an old throwback to the old Bruno vs Gorilla Monsoon feud. Bruno was a great white shark in an ocean filled with great white sharks. He fought and defeated the toughest opponents around. Lesnar, for the most part, until Goldberg, looked like a great white shark in an ocean filled with tiny minnows. He bulldozed everyone in sight. He's finally beating credible opponents that look like they can hang him. And if Brock does beat Strowman, IMO that doesn't really hurt Strowman at all, because Brock will have once again proved himself to be the baddest of the bad.

24. adam

adam Pre-Show Stalwart

I suspect Lesnar will win the match but lose the fight afterwards. Must be a hard match to book if indeed Lesnar is done until January for that's a long to go without their champion. They could try to book more appearances but if he beats Strowman clean, who else is out there to justify the costs for more appearances?

25. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah Championship Contender

Lesnar is retaining tonight and why? Simply put because Brock Lesnar is their biggest draw right now. As good as Braun Strowman is and he is he quite simply put is not ready yet to be WWE Universal Champion. For that reason alone Lesnar wins but it will probably be Brock's best match to date and why? Because Brock Lesnar in every way is outmatched so it is almost like no one expects Brock to come out on top but he will.