WWE No Mercy - John Cena VS Roman Reigns

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by Jack-Hammer, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

WWE.com announced just a little while ago that the two alpha males of the company will meet at the No Mercy ppv. I'm sure some would rather have this match at WrestleMania or one of the other big four shows but I see nothing to complain about as every big match can't be put off to one of those shows, nor should they be.

I see some sort of screwy ending here, maybe a double DQ or count out would be the best way to go if they want to keep this program going for a while. I think having them meet a couple of times, putting on a physical outing and neither being able to put the other away in a standard match could be fun to see.

2. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

I'm not sure why Cena isn't facing, and losing, to Joe before his next sabbatical.

It seems like a waste. A genuine Wrestlemania main event given away on a B show. Especially when we've already got Lesnar vs. Strowman.

3. LODemolition

LODemolition Championship Contender

Wow, I was expecting Cena vs Samoa Joe at No Mercy. I have to say I'm somewhat impressed at them not waiting for one of the big 4 ppvs to have this match. But like Jack-Hammer already said, I'm not expecting a clean finish. Lesnar vs Strowman and Reigns vs Cena were 2 matches on my WM34 card, but obviously they're not budging on Lesnar vs Reigns.

4. Kyphael

Kyphael Getting Noticed By Management

From the crowd response they got last week, I don't think it's a Wrestlemania-worthy match, they have to earn that. Tonight's promo helped a lot, though. They can always save the long-awaited heel turn to do at Wrestlemania for Cena if these two ever face off there.

5. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

What a promo by John Cena. Blurring the reality and kayfabe and John Cena rocks an awesome promo.

Interested in this match. Could see the sequel at Survivor Series. Or a Triple Threat if Samoa Joe actually interferes in this match. Don't know who will win if the result is clear. Still interested and that's enough.

Khalifa likes this.
  6. AnthonyM4

AnthonyM4 Getting Noticed By Management

I'm guessing Reigns wins and then Cena takes the fall off like he has been doing for the last 2 years. Joe vs Cena would have been nice since the show will be in LA where they both got their starts in the business.

7. adam

adam Pre-Show Stalwart

Samoa Joe is hurt so he's not going to be involved in the outcome but its likely Cena is going to put over Roman for he's leaving to do his movie and likely won't back until November.

8. wrestlingmasters55

wrestlingmasters55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If you believe what as been reported, the only reason this match is happening at no mercy instead of on a bigger show like survivor series or wrestlemania is because Cena is leaving after no mercy so he could film the new transformers spin off movie and then they will start his push toward his 17th reigns as wwe champion.

That's too bad that this is happening on a b-show because this is the Hulk hogan vs ultimate warrior match of the modern era and should have been happening on a big stage then no mercy. Still it's going to a awesome match because both Cena and Reigns are able to give 5 star matches when need be and this will probably be one of those night. Reigns truly need a huge win right now because he hasn't won one match on a big network special since he beat undertaker at mania and he can't really ride the momentum of that win forever. So he need to beat Cena at no mercy and it need to be a convincing win at best.

Personally, i would love to see something similar to what they did with Warrior and hogan at wrestlemania 6 we're after Cena gets beat, they go and do a respect angle. That would be so awesome for old school fans in my opinion.

Khalifa likes this.
  9. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

For some reason I want this to be long feud. Long feuds establish superstars not one-off matches. I know that Cena is leaving after No Mercy, but why does he have to win?

I Roman wins this then that promo did nothing and WWE will admit that they're turning a blind eye on all of Roman's weaknesses and fans will HATE HIM EVEN MORE.

If I were management I would play with Roman Reigns a little bit. Give him a hard time. The whole world knows that it's going to be Roman vs Lesnar at WM, so Roman obviously knows that as well. That tells me that Roman isn't giving his 100% because he's comfortable on his big throne. He's not hungry because he knows that he will get food served to him and he's not determined to go and grab the food because he knows that they will give it to him anyway.

So why not have Roman lose? Then Cena leaves. And Roman is left in cold water. And that will be the chance for Roman to shine. Under pressure. Even make reports that Lesnar vs Reigns might be off the books. Spread the word. Leave only HHH and Vince to know the truth. Make Roman sweat a little bit. You want this guy to carry your god damn company then he needs to prove he can do it!

Of course when Cena returns they can continue the angle. Have Roman instantly call out Cena for a rematch while Cena's absent. Then Cena comes back and they can have 1 or 2 more matches, with Roman winning the feud and going into Wrestlemania strong against Lesnar. But don't inform Roman about all that until they happen.

Take the food away from Roman Reigns' table. Roman will either get hungry and go and grab it or he will starve and perish.

10. wrestlingmasters55

Staff Member Moderator

I'm a the only is thinking that they are building this match to make reigns look like a millions bucks and give him the cena rub by doing the respect angle after reigns wins the match.

The way the match is build as of now. It's like they will use the fact that cena is taking reigns lightly to explain why he lost and will show him respect after the match.

Maybe, I'm wrong but after three weeks of build this is what I see happening.

11. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I could see that happening and it does seem like the most logical outcome.

While I know it won't happen, or rather I'm almost sure it won't, this could be an ideal opportunity to initiate a full blown heel turn for the loser. Or, at least, maybe start down that road. I mean, it'd be cool seeing Reigns flip and kick Cena in the nuts when he comes in for a handshake, or vice versa.

12. ShinChan

If there's an actual heel turn in plans, I shall be happy. But considering the past, I won't keep much expectations for either of them turning heel.

If there's no heel turn in plans, let John Cena win this match. Roman Reigns can get a win back in future but not now.

13. wrestlingmasters55

Staff Member Moderator

After last night's promo, i just realise that they are doing the same think they did with the John Cena/Rock feud a couple of years back, so with that line of thinking, why not just go full on with it.

Have Reigns lose on sunday because he was too cocky, then have reigns cut a promo on raw the following day and have him realize how much of a cocky prick he was since beating taker at mania and he realize that he's on a losing streak because of his ego and that he's going to take a couple of weeks off to refocus and get back to the roman reigns that beat undertaker but before he goes, he challenge Cena for a rematch at wrestlemania. I know that meltzer reported that it's suppose to be reigns and lesnar at mania but let face it, that's not set in stone and they could change the mania main event to piss off meltzer.

Anyway, fast foward to the rumble, have Strowman or lesnar win the rumble match, technically whoever between the 2 that isn't the universal champion and have Cena wins the WWE championship at mania. Again i know that this would mean that they would have to find a creative way to explain why Reigns is challenging for the smackdown world title at mania but in the end, i don'T think that Raw need 2 characters that are pretty much the same on raw in Reigns and Strowman so you could send Reigns to smackdown during the mania period or have cena show up on raw with the smackdown title.

Then you do the rematch at mania and reigns beats cena for the title and become a full fledge smackdown guy. You do the respect angle like they did with Rock and cena and you just made Roman reigns, cena's successor.

14. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Global Moderator

You talk about how we shouldn't generalize but that's exactly what you're doing here. That match was not a match of the year contender. It wasn't even the best match on this show. The tag team title match and Raw Women's Championship match were both better. Roman getting this win over Cena is just further proof of Vince trying to force Roman Reigns on the fans. The match was honestly kind of boring. Cena tried to make it work and I give him credit for that.

15. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

It was such a great match I went and started folding laundry because of it. According to those that did watch and the parts that I did see, it was a spamfest of finishers and kickouts. Well except for the spear, which looks like the only finisher that is protected these days.

The tag match was the best of the night and KB said it right in his review, I paraphrase "the best parts of the show were the ones that weren't supposed to be the best."

Just what story did it tell anyway?

16. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

The match was a joke. Roman hit some kicks, some punches a Samoan Drop and the rest were Superman punches and Spears. Cena also phoned it. I was expceting the Cena we got with Punk, Owens and Styles. To pull something out his sleeve. Make this memorable. Out of all the big match John matches this is definately the most forgettable.

And it once again prove everyone point: ROMAN CAN'T CARRY BIG MATCHES

Undertaker, HHH, Cena. These matches sucked. His match with Lesnar was somewhat entertaining but again, it wasn't a match. It was Roman getting a beating, then a comeback then Rollins comes out.

I'm sorry, Roman can't do it. He can have great matches with Balor, Styles, Big Show, Bryan, Rusev, Wyatt yet he somehow always fails to deliver at the big spotlight.

17. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

It was a pretty good match though it wasn't as big as WWE wanted it to be. Probably because it was such a blatant re-cooking of John Cena vs AJ Styles at Summerslam '16. Right down to Cena losing because he literally ran out of things to hit Reigns with.

For me it was match of the night, just above the Tag title match with sadly suffered from Cesaro's injury throwing the psychology way off. The build was great, the match was fine, but WWE really needs a new playbook on "big matches".

"Hit some kicks, some punches, a Samoan Drop and the rest...." He hit 3 Superman Punches. 2 Spears. One of those through a table. If you're gonna accuse someone of spamming moves, might wanna recount and look at the one who hit his finisher 4 times. Then again, you're also wrong about Cena "phoning it in". If that's phoning it, I should go run for the blasted hills because Jesus Christ literally walks among us in WWE. He gave a very good performance that focused more on his expression and psychology.
    Well, he's not carrying them. He's wrestling them. I'm not even sure you can actually carry a match. Unless you're talking the kind to light a fire.

A match against an injured man, another one with a guy who's notorious for boring matches and a match that is only bad based on your weird sense of taste. I don't see the flaw. The matches did what they were supposed to do. So did Roman.

No Mercy's a big spotlight? You list him having great matches with tons of people, then say this one was poo. What were you expecting? Goku vs Freeza?

18. wrestlingmasters55

Staff Member Moderator

Toe ach is own I guess, personally, I loved this match because it was build like a ld school wwe match and told a great story, and from what I was earring it hooked the crowd throughout the match wihich is what a great match is suppose to do. So that, maybe some fans need more wrestling moves to concidered a great match a great match or some just don't want to give credit we're credit I due because they don't like reigns or cena. But this was on part as far as drama was concern with the cena/aj styles match from the rumble and based on the reaction that this match got, it was the best match on the card, but that's just my opinion I guess.

19. JoeMallard

JoeMallard Getting Noticed By Management

The match was so good, I fell asleep halfway through Cena's entrance.

20. ShinChan

So much hype and you get an underwhelming match with some dumb booking. And Obviously, A Roman Reigns fan generalizes while always opposing generalization. I'm happy to not be a fan of pro Wrestling by your ludricious partial statement.

4 AA's couldn't defeat Roman Reigns. 3 F-5's couldn't defeat him. John Cena is no where near Roman Reigns now. Superman Reigns. Finisher Spamming and just that doesn't make a match good.

AJ Styles Vs. John Cena was better. Kazuchika Okada Vs. Kenny Omega was infinitely better.

21. wrestlingmasters55

Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for not using my comment as a quote but still taking a shot at me for no apparent reason, truly appreciate.

As for my comment, you know because i did mention it on previous post that i'Ve been a fan of WWE/WWf for 30 years now and that i don't look at booking decision or workrate like most fans in this era does both at how good the story told in the match and how much the crowd get into a match to rate if this was a good match or not. This match did what it was suppose to do and that's take a crowd that truly didn'T care about either man in the match and get them to be on the edge of their seat at every false finish they did and they we're able to do that. Even in the end of the match, fans were actually cheering for reigns when he got the 3 count and them remembered they hated the guy but for a small second, they forgot that they we're suppose to hate reigns.

That's not me generalizing anything, If you really looked and listen to the crowd, that was the match of the night for them, sadly in this era we're the IWC looks more at the workrate then storytelling i guess that kind of stuff his lost on them and that's sad because wrestling isn't all about workrate especially if you're a WWE fans, it'S also about having a connection with the fans and these 2 had one last night, that'S not me being a roman reigns fans, that's me being a WWe fan and a life long WWE fans.

Next time you want to take a shot at me, at less have the decency to use my post instead of being sneaky like you did today.

22. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

My expections were high as they should be, since we were getting the two top superstars at the same ring. However, if you list all the big matches that featured WWE's top two superstars at the same ring, this one goes on last. I just didn't feel emotion, drama or suspense during it. If this was Reigns vs Big Show or Reigns vs Joe I wouldn't have made such a big deal about it. But it was Roman vs Cena and yeah, maybe I was expecting Goku vs Freeza.

I never saw that psychology you said, only at the end of the match. It was more of a segment actually, than a match. I don't know. It just failed to get me invested in it.

23. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Sorry to butt in, but that's not true. Many people loved Taker vs HHH at WM 28, Reigns vs Lesnar from WM 31 and Rollins vs HHH from WM 32. Because they had storytelling. They got you hooked. This match didn't do that for me. I never felt suspense during it.

shooter_mcgavin likes this.
  24. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

I guess you could say that just like Cena's and Reigns' personalities and connection to the fans, this match was as well.. polarizing.

25. ShinChan

Your "comment" isn't available to quote anymore. However, you can be ignorant towards it.

Shot? Let's rewind.

You: Anyone who doesn't find this match a five star match ISN'T A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING FAN!

So, who took a shot? Who in the blue sky are you to say that someone who doesn't like a particular match ISN'T A PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING FAN? If I say so, it's still wrong. I amn't anyone to say that this person is a fan and this person isn't.

I'm seeing the match for myself. I don't know anything about work rate. I want to be entertained. I won't see the crowd reaction to judge a match. Sorry but I won't.

Again, that's not the problem. You liked it and I respect that. But don't judge partially when someone doesn't like the same thing you liked. Neither you nor me have a right to say that a particular person isn't a Pro Wrestling fan if he doesn't like this certain match.

And again about IWC. The match was underwhelming. That was what I felt. I'm not going to base my judgment on IWC. Or you. Or anyone else. I just want to be entertained. Work Rate are some terms I know nothing about and I don't say anything when I don't know about that thing.

I don't. However someone else judged that I'm not a Pro Wrestling Fan. That deserves a statement.

Aha! I get it that you're very decent. And I'm sneaky even when that comment isn't available anymore to quote. Decent guys generalize while opposing generalization. Like you don't like a match then you aren't a Pro Wrestling Fan. How cool and decent...