WWE missed a step on Tribute to the Troops last night.

Tribute to the Troops...

• ...is fine as a single hour show.

• ...would be significantly better if it were two hours long.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Good thing it was on NBC. It's entirely possible nobody noticed.

Last night on the WWE's annual Tribute to the Troops special, WWE put out some of the usual high quality video packages documenting their time overseas mingling with the brave men and women of the Untited States' armed forces. WWE production is normally good with video packages in general, and as usual these segments came off looking great. No issue there. But I think there's a problem beyond the usual greatness of these tributes that should be addressed.

Due to time restraints on that show and the fact that there was a desire to get all of those great video packages to fit in the one hour block they had on NBC, did the WWE sacrifice too much of the wrestling on the broadcast? I'm not saying we should have been seeing 20-30 minute epics or anything like that, but all of the wrestling seemed to have very little flow, almost as though it had been clipped. However, your average non-WWE viewer who came across this on NBC might not realize how outside the norm these ultra-short (even by WWE standards) matches were, especially considering some of the talent involved in them. Imagine you're one of these average non-WWE viewers coming across last night's show. What would you have seen?

1) Wrestlers rubbing shoulders with the troops and having a good time.
2) Wrestlings playing with artillery.
3) A crap wrestling show.

Number three is unacceptable on a major show where it may be more likely than usual for the average non-WWE fan to tune in... and when you're trying to show what a great thing it is you do for the troops.

"They flew all the way over there to put on less than ten minutes of wrestling? That's... kinda stupid."

Some matches of average length and something in the 10-15 minute ranges surely wouldn't have killed them.

IMO, Tribute to the Troops should be aired in the two hour slot where they can fit both a mix of proper grappling action and amazing tribute segments. Maybe even an in-ring promo or two. JBL did a pretty good one when he was champ, if I recall correctly.

Do you think Tribute to the Troops should go back to a two hour format?

To be honest I generally tend to find the Tribute to the Troops specials to be entirely boring and irrelevant (coming strictly from the perspective of a wrestling fan). I'm not saying that the concept and meaning behind these shows isn't great because it is and it's a very classy gesture on WWE's part, but if you're tuning in for a good quality wrestling show then I would advise you tune out. These tribute shows are quite predictable with a few short (and mostly meaningless) matches thrown together, along with some awful Divas segment where they are dressed up as elves or something, all of which provides for some fairly uninspiring viewing.

Don't get me wrong, it's great they do this Tribute to the Troops and it gets Vince some decent press for a change but as far as it being an enjoyable one hour wrestling show, I think not. Going two hours again would be better so long as they got the blend of wrestling show and Tribute to the Troops bit right because if it was just an extension of the standard one hour format, I think I would give it a miss. Overall, I'm not pissing all over the idea behind the Tribute shows because it is a good thing WWE are attempting to do but as for the quality of these shows, it normally leaves a bit to be desired...

I would much rather see it as a two hour show. I think you are absolutely correct about the video packages. WWE simply aired too much for an one hour show. WWE went to Iraq to provide entertainment to the troops and it doesn't make much sense to have such little wrestling. The superstars spent twenty hours to get there to put on a show with less wrestling than an ECW show. Simply wrong, I don't get why NBC broadcasts the Tribute to the Troops special anyway, it should be aired on Raw or Smackdown's two hour time slot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tribute to the Troops use to be 2 hours when it was on USA or TNN? It was only reduced to 1 hour when it was switched over to NBC.

I agree that it should be 2 hours and why NBC wouldn't want a second hour of a feel-good special like Tribute to the Troops during the Christmas Season is beyond me. I mean was there a really a need for another Law & Order SVU re-run?

My guess is that someone over at NBC doesn't like wrestling and thinks that re-runs of Law and Order would be better for the network. No wonder NBC has dropped to last place among the networks.

As for the wrestling, I believe there were more matches and the matches they did show lasted longer. However, some matches were not shown and those that did make the show were edited to fit the 1 hour time limit.

its tribute to the troops glorifying the wwe wrestlers. its like they are trying to get as much positive press as possible. anyway, they need to make it a two hour show and make it either raw or smackdown special from iraq. i think the armed forces people there would like that more.

but a random question, president obama said that we will be out of iraq by around summer 2011 or something like that, so what do you think they are going to do. i think they might move it to afghanistan. what do you guys think.

Coco, you're right on target. I gained absolutely nothing as a wrestling fan tuning into Tribute to the Troops. It's good for the troops and gets press for WWE, but honestly, how many non-wrestling fans stumbled upon the show and found it entertaining? They showed the usual: video clips of the superstars paling around with soldiers to horrible feel-good modern rock music (except for the Bob Dylan tune). If they're going to travel that far, the wrestlers should be allowed to put on a good performance in the ring.
I doubt the show gained any new wrestling fans. That's why it puzzles me as to why they air it on NBC. WWE has a golden opportunity to reach more people through a major network like NBC. Yet they drop the ball and air nothing but mostly video packages and run-of-the-mill speeches from Gen. Petreaus and President Obama. Same goes for the more recent Saturday Night Main Events, which have been as compelling as ECW TV.

I completely agree. I have never seen the tribute to the troops b4 so I didnt kno what to expect but when I saw miz/morrison I expected a solid match. My immediate thought last night was make this show 2hrs you can still show the video packages but it would allow you to put on matches that had some decent back and forth action. To be honest I could make the same argument for raw and smackdown goin to a 3hr schedule.

You guys are missing the point of the whole experience, though.

Unless you're in the military, or have family in it, or ever served in it, then it really wasn't for you. It just happened to be some wrestling filmed and shown over here, inter-cut with tremendous video footage of real people in a real war zone getting some USO-level entertainment for an afternoon/evening/whatever.

The WWE wasn't trying to get new fans with Tribute to the Troops. They were honoring the military over in Iraq, as they should be honored, since while not everyone likes why they're there, they're still there, doing their jobs and putting their lives on the line so we don't have to.

So, kids, before we get too serious here, let's just remember that we were lucky enough to see what they did at all, and not just criticize what they aired/didn't air.

When I watch Tribute to the Troops, I'm not watching it to critique the show. I'm really not even watching it for the wrestling aspect. I'm watching it, b/c I think it's pretty cool to see the smiles on the faces of the Troops. I think it's cool to see them have fun and enjoy themselves. I love watching the video packages and getting to learn about some of the troops' time in Iraq and other places. That's why I watch the show. I don't care if it's one hour or two. What the WWE is doing for those people, is simply awesome. I give them mad props. This is Tribute to the Troops. This isn't Tribute to the IWC or Tribute to the Smarks. This isn't Wrestlemania or Smackdown or RAW or Summerslam or something. IMO, it's not about us getting to see all the matches that take place when WWE does this. It's not about us seeing matches like we'd see on SD or a PPV. It's not about WWE trying to get more fans and higher ratings with longer matches. It's more about seeing the smiles on the peeps faces. It's about these men and women getting honored. That's what this is about.

Screw the damn ratings and fan count for once. Screw the "they should have had more and longer matches" argument for once. Screw all the critquing of the matches and the show for once. They are honoring these men and woman who go out and bust their asses to keep us safe. It's not about ratings or pleasing the IWC with longer matches. I've had family and friends who've served in the Military. This hits home with me. I'm glad that WWE does this.

You guys are missing the point of the whole experience, though.

Unless you're in the military, or have family in it, or ever served in it, then it really wasn't for you. It just happened to be some wrestling filmed and shown over here, inter-cut with tremendous video footage of real people in a real war zone getting some USO-level entertainment for an afternoon/evening/whatever.

The WWE wasn't trying to get new fans with Tribute to the Troops. They were honoring the military over in Iraq, as they should be honored, since while not everyone likes why they're there, they're still there, doing their jobs and putting their lives on the line so we don't have to.

So, kids, before we get too serious here, let's just remember that we were lucky enough to see what they did at all, and not just criticize what they aired/didn't air.

Amen brother. I cannot believe there are people in here criticizing a show that is meant as a feel good experience. That's like going to a charity concert or other charity based production and writing a full critical review. Totally unnecessary.

Criticize RAW, Smackdown, ECW, Impact, ect. If watching this show leaves you unsatisfied, you need to find a new hobby.

What is with the wwe bashing in here? i think the show should be two hours because......
it would allow more time for videos of the troops and such. I dont see TNA doing anything to tribute the troops. WWE maybe going through poor programming right now but at least they are there to pay tribute to the troops. if you think vince is doing it just for the press then they wouldnt have any video packages. its easy to sit behind a keyboard and judge but lets see you get on a plane and go entertain in a warzone. Get a ladder climb down off your soapbox and leave the wwe criticism for their weekly programs not for a goodwill event like this.

Amen brother. I cannot believe there are people in here criticizing a show that is meant as a feel good experience. That's like going to a charity concert or other charity based production and writing a full critical review. Totally unnecessary.

Criticize RAW, Smackdown, ECW, Impact, ect. If watching this show leaves you unsatisfied, you need to find a new hobby.

i agree 110 percent i cant beleave this dumm ass internet wrestling community is criticizing something like this its not about wrestling or even wrestling qulity its about payin respect to all our wonrerful troops and country you want to criticize something criticize raw or smackdown or impact ect. those are wrestling shows about wrestling you people really need to find something to do you have to much time on your hands all of you are really patetic

I actually enjoyed the broadcast last night. As far as the wrestling goes, keep in mind they were exhausted. I've heard reports that they are constantly moving for 2-3 days when in Iraq/Afghanistan then to have to put on a small show. I'm sure it's grueling.

Keep in mind the title of the program: TRIBUTE TO THE TROOPS. I've always viewed this as a tribute show like for Owen or Eddie. You are going to get a little bit of wrestling, nothing that would be match of the year but nothing horrific either, but the main focus of the show is on the troops, as it should be. It's a chance for me to feel good that they are having celebrities are going over there to, as Michael Cole made the cheesy comment several times last night, "bring a little piece of americana overseas to the troops"

As for the posts that have commented on how they should return to having the special as a 2 hour special in replace of Smackdown like they used to do, I like it being a one hour special on Network TV. Granted, especially with Smackdown airing Christmas night, the ratings would go down so why not air it then to try to get viewers. It gives them network TV exposure that ISN'T at 11 pm like their Saturday Night Main Event's here lately have been. Plus it puts them in a positive light in the public's eye.

I agree with those saying that this show wasn't there for us to be critical over it as wrestling fans. The Tribute to the Troops show isn't even for us really, they could get away with not showing it on TV. I love the looks on their faces though. Many of them will have been WWE fans, and to give them just that small reward for the huge sacrifices they're making for us is great, they should be given more. Not from WWE specifically, but from everyone. The WWE doing this show for the troops actually makes me more inclined to watch and love the company.

It's WWE's way of celebrating American troops in a way that no other organisation in the US does. The wrestling is probably the least important aspect of the show. I, much like Becca, see this as a very admirable thing for Vince and co. to do every year, and i can't really understand why any American would want to criticize them for it, regardless of the format or presentation of the show.

It's WWE's way of saying 'Thank you for risking your lives to protect our freedom.' It's not done so Vince can make more money.

The WWE really didn't miss a trick. The Tribute to the Troops is nothing but a PR exercise, and goodwill for the people serving. The way that wrestling entices an audience is by having storylines, not wrestling matches. Nobody is likely to start watching wrestling based on a 15 minute match, classic or otherwise. Putting storylines on a card like this almost trivialises what the guys in the audience are going through. I think the WWE should just look at the event in terms of how it boosts the company's image and not how it could boost ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back