WWE Lightweight Championship and Show

Steve-O-Matt

Pre-Show Stalwart
CTTitle_crop_north.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Ah the WWE Crusierweight Championship, probably my favourite retired championship. Held by such greats as Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Nunzio, Tajiri and... Hornswoggle. Ugh, they messed up such a great line of champion's by having it's last ever be a joke character. But still, such a great title, it brings back some great memories of feuds that just make me think, why did they retire the title to begin with?

With so many crusierweights in the WWE, you're spoiled for choice if you want to make a division. WWE have said that once they get their network up and running (just go with it), that they were going to a show just for the smaller guys, which obviously made us all bounce with JOY!.. Until we realised the network itself is dead before it lifts off the ground, so no show, bummer h'uh?

Now days we have the crusierweights just be jobbers to the big guys and the monsters. It's sad really. But this is my proposal, do the damn show!

That's right, just make the damn show, ditch Superstars and Main Event which have no real role or theme, rather just a random show for random matches and have Wednesday night (title goes here). Or Thursdays, whatever you prefer. And have the first night battle royale crown the first ever WWE Crusierweight Championship.

Now I know what you're thinking, TOO MANY TITLES. Well, we've been long over due some unifications so... Yeah. This is just a scenario based in a WWE has finally unified the US and IC title AND especially the WWE and WHC. Have the WWE Heavyweight Championship and WWE Lightweight Championship. These two can be two WORLD championships that treat heavyweights and lightweights the same. Remember when the WWE and WHC were treated the same, back when there were two brands? I liked that, because the main events of PPVs rotated. I would like it if it was like that with the WWE HWC and WWE LWC.

To sum up, I want to introduce weight classing in wrestling, have a show dedicated to lightweights and to simply clean up some of the clusterf*** they have at the moment. Are you interested in this kind of a WWE? Let me know why or why not. Obviously I know they would never do this, but I just want to know if you'd like this or not.

ok, well if this scenario was to playout and WWE were to Unify the WWE and WHC and they were to unify the IC and US titles, then I would not mind seeing the LHW return. There is enough tallent on the current roster to make the division competitive and would also give some of the smaller guys on the roster something to do. As for which show the title should be defended on, Then I would like to see it on either Raw or smackdown, With the Tag titles defended on the other brand, this way it would each show there own feel and make them stand out and give people more of a reason to tune in.

I wouldn't be interested. It's already been proven that a weight-class in scripted wrestling is more of a hinderance than it is a good idea. In modern wrestling, having the little guy beat the big guy now and then tells a better story and puts more asses in seats. If you keep the little guy gunning for that one title, it just keeps them away from selling more merchandise and having a better career.

I wouldn't be interested. It's already been proven that a weight-class in scripted wrestling is more of a hinderance than it is a good idea. In modern wrestling, having the little guy beat the big guy now and then tells a better story and puts more asses in seats. If you keep the little guy gunning for that one title, it just keeps them away from selling more merchandise and having a better career.

I feel that if a little guy is talented and over enough, such as Daniel Bryan, they'll move up the card regardless. But for guys like Evan Bourne or Justin Gabriel, who don't have that type of potential, it's better for them to have something to fight over instead of just jobbing.

I feel that if a little guy is talented and over enough, such as Daniel Bryan, they'll move up the card regardless. But for guys like Evan Bourne or Justin Gabriel, who don't have that type of potential, it's better for them to have something to fight over instead of just jobbing.

Why are people on here so determined to think being a jobber is a bad thing? You need jobbers in wrestling. It makes stars who you're trying to push look good. Not everyone can contend for a championship, and they shouldn't.

And the original poster wants to bring back weight classes, and their own show. That puts a lot of restrictions including any really good light-heavyweight moving up to the big title. If the OP stated they could hold the Cruiserweight Championship, and then possibly move up, then I could agree with you. He was specific on that, though so no chance.

The Cruiserweight Division in the early 2000s in the WWE was interesting, and possibly nostalgic, but it served its time and so did the Light-Heavyweight Championship. Wrestling has changed, and we have to accept that sooner or later.

ya, no i dont wanna c this. only way i would want it is if they split the brands agin. and i dont c that happenig

Why are people on here so determined to think being a jobber is a bad thing? You need jobbers in wrestling. It makes stars who you're trying to push look good. Not everyone can contend for a championship, and they shouldn't.

And the original poster wants to bring back weight classes, and their own show. That puts a lot of restrictions including any really good light-heavyweight moving up to the big title. If the OP stated they could hold the Cruiserweight Championship, and then possibly move up, then I could agree with you. He was specific on that, though so no chance.

The Cruiserweight Division in the early 2000s in the WWE was interesting, and possibly nostalgic, but it served its time and so did the Light-Heavyweight Championship. Wrestling has changed, and we have to accept that sooner or later.

I get that wrestling needs jobbers, and I'm fine with established talents jobbing. The problem is that nowadays they're used almost exclusively as jobbers. With a cruiserweight title, you can have talents fighting each other more often and trading wins so that when they DO put people over, it means more because they have a bit more credibility.

I'd like to see the talent highlighted, yes, but the biggest issue with a cruiserweight title is that you'd have guys who are bigger than the current main event contender going for it. I think it all comes down to talent. Punk is a borderline cruiserweight based on past limits and Bryan is for sure light enough. These are arguably their top two faces.

I just don't believe there are enough guys to make a division that is compelling. I'd much rather see guys like Rey, Bourne, Cara, Gabriel, Heath, Kidd, Santino, Tatsu, Otunga, Hawkins and Ryder and whoever else, paired up and become tag teams. Rey/Cara, Gabriel/Kidd (I loved the name International Airstrike, btw), Bourne/Kofi (Air Boom returns) and Heath sticks with 3MB, Hawkins/Ryder, would make for some exciting tag teams to join the ranks of Uso's, Shield, Tons, Real Americans, PTP, Wyatts, Epico/Primo Santanas, Hunico/Camacho. That is potentially 13 tag teams. With 7 hours of TV, 7.5 when Slam comes back, you have room to make some good matches. Use Main Event, Superstars and Slam to see who has good chemistry and then bring the feud to the two big shows. If you're keeping these guys around, you may as well use them for something.

The bottom line is that I don't see the value in a weight class title. If a guy breaks out from his team, use him to get elevated in a combined US/IC title to then see if he's got the jam to make the leap to the main event. It's an old recipe that works.

If I've said this once I've said it a hundred times, a Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight/Junior Heavyweight is something that's not generally going to be accepted by American fans. It never really has because American fans, as a whole, don't want to see wrestlers categorized and limited based on how much they weigh. As a whole, fans want wrestlers in the ring, regardless of size, to see who the "better man" is. Booking wrestling matches in which only "little guys" go up against "little guys" only gives the impression that these "little guys" simply don't have what it takes to be top level wrestlers.

When you look at the roster of WWE right now, many of them would qualify as being a Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight/Junior Heavyweight. Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, Rob Van Dam, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, R-Truth, Kofi Kingston, Curtis Axel, Christian, Cody Rhodes, The Miz, Heath Slater, Jinder Mahal, Justin Gabriel, Sin Cara, Zack Ryder, Justin Gabriel, JTG, Jey Uso, Yoshi Tatsu, Primo, Epico, Hunico, Curt Hawkins and Tyson Kidd & Evan Bourne once they return, David Otunga if he gets back to the ring are all right at, slightly less than, somewhat less than, significantly less than or just slightly more than the 225 pound mark. That's 28 wrestlers, roughly half or a little more than half of the WWE's main roster. Even adding up wrestlers on the WWE roster who are out injured and not counting special attractions like Taker, The Rock & Brock Lesnar, that leaves about 24 wrestlers currently working on the main roster at being significantly heavier than 225 pounds. When I say significantly, I mean at least 10 pounds. And several of those wrestlers that are at 235 pounds or more could have their weights believably worked to where they could compete right at the 225 pound Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight/Junior Heavyweight limit. Orton is sometimes listed at 235 pounds or 245, depending on what show he's on. Given Orton's tall & slender, yet muscled build, he could probably pass for 225. Damien Sandow is listed at 243 but he could easily pass for someone a good 15-20 pounds lighter than he's listed. Realistically, he might really be in the 225-230 pound range.

The fact of it is that a good many of the top talents in wrestling and a good many of the potential future top talents in wrestling today are men who could be classified as a Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight/Junior Heavyweight. As a result, separating the "big guys" from the "little guys" really makes no logical sense when you take into account that pro wrestling is staged. The outcomes are fixed and how many times have we seen "little guys" defeat men who are listed as outweighing them by 30, 50 75, 100+ pounds or more?

I love WWE and have watched religiously since 1998. However, it's not a real sport. It's entertainment. It's a drama. The characters need stories, not championships. Not everyone can be the main character, the same as you need extras in movies and characters in soap opera's that are only in bit part scenes. Championship belts are props.

The roster in WWE is just too big to fit everyone on the show and in a meaningful feud.

It was fun but not essential when it was around.

Considering the likes of Mysterio, Jericho, Bryan, Benoit, Punk and Guerrero (Eddie, not the shit one) have/would have been champions at that level and have all tasted ME title glory, it seems that such a belt could be more of a hindrance than a help.

It was fun but not essential when it was around.

Considering the likes of Mysterio, Jericho, Bryan, Benoit, Punk and Guerrero (Eddie, not the shit one) have/would have been champions at that level and have all tasted ME title glory, it seems that such a belt could be more of a hindrance than a help.

Mysterio, Jericho, Benoit, and Eddie all became world champions while the cruiserweight belt was still active. Cream always rises to the top. But for those who won't be big stars, it's nice for them to have something to fight for.

Waste Of Time, The roster does not have enough "Light" Talent. Mysterio is always getting injured with his double Cara... Than you have Kidd, Gabriel and Bourne. I mean with the injury rate and the low amount of talent, It is simply a waste of time. I understand the need for the division as it is exciting and possibly the only way these guys see T.V time besides Mysterio, but it is unnecessary.

Eric Bischoff knew that starting shows off with cruizerweights was exciting and kept fans tuned in or had new viewers hooked, but it's a different time now. If there were split brands again or perhaps a massive amount of popular lightweights than I would be all for it. Right now is just a waste and could not be done without it being tarnished in some sort of way.

To me it would just feel like they're trying to relive the glory days of the Cruiserweight matches in WCW if they brought back the LHW Title. Would I be interested in seeing more light heavyweights get air time on Raw and SD? Absolutely, because the matches would be good/great. However, I don't think there needs to be a title belt specifically for them when they can't even seem to make the WHC, US, or IC titles feel significant.

Are you interested in this kind of a WWE?

No. It flamed out in WCW and WWE.

All you do is pigeon hole your "lightweight" wrestlers. How credible will that championship be when you have Evan Bourne or Zack Ryder holding it? Why do you want to limit the potential of great matches the lighter wrestlers can have with the bigger wrestlers?

They don't need a division, they just need to create better characters, something that has improved in the past couple of years. Don't limit a potential great talent like Kalisto by having him trade wins with Zack Ryder.

No. It flamed out in WCW and WWE.

All you do is pigeon hole your "lightweight" wrestlers. How credible will that championship be when you have Evan Bourne or Zack Ryder holding it? Why do you want to limit the potential of great matches the lighter wrestlers can have with the bigger wrestlers?

They don't need a division, they just need to create better characters, something that has improved in the past couple of years. Don't limit a potential great talent like Kalisto by having him trade wins with Zack Ryder.

They can give it to someone a little higher up the card, but still isn't ready/good enough for a world title like Cody Rhodes or Kofi Kingston to legitimize the belt for a bit while everyone else gets built up a little more. Evan Bourne had some name value on the indies as Matt Sydal, so I don't see why he wouldn't be a credible champion. I'd like to see him moved up higher, but he unfortunately blew his chances by getting wellnessed twice in a short period of time. He killed any chance of a bigger push, but it doesn't mean they have to kill him completely. Likewise Zack Ryder has little potential of moving up higher, but this allows him to be more than just a jobber.

The lighter wrestlers who DO have more talent WILL eventually be competing with the heavyweights and moved up the card.

The lighter wrestlers who DO have more talent WILL eventually be competing with the heavyweights and moved up the card.

Did Jericho move up when he dominated the cruiserweight division at WCW? How relevant was Rey Mysterio before he was put in the main event in WWE?

I see what some are saying but it's all window dressing. Who would you put in the division? So far I see Bourne, Kofi, Sin Cara, Ryder, and that's about it. Kofi is the perfect mid card transitional champion and that is more valuable then what this is offering. Rey is upper main event. Seth Rollins is a former NXT Champion and is a tag team champion. Neville, Zayn, Kalisto, etc, they have potential for something greater.

So now, you are stuck with a division with weak characters. The same guys who wrestle on Superstars, Main Event, etc. Except now, it's for a Cruiserweight Championship. But nobody cares about those wrestlers and the wrestler makes the title, not the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back