WWE going the other direction?

Blade

"Original Blade"
Since Legacy as formed, there's two things people primarily talk about on this site.
1) How awful they are and how they supposedly get squashed every week
and 2) The fact that Ted Dibiase Jr. will be the one to get the huge push, feud with Orton as a face and become a star.

And it did seem like Dibiase would be getting the push. He was the one who first started to rebel against Orton for a short time. Dibiase was put in a match against Orton a month ago on Raw, and Orton made Dibiase look good. It all seemed like Dibiase would be breaking away from Legacy and feuding with Orton in 2010.

But then I started noticing subtle little things that Cody Rhodes has been doing recently.
Rhodes got the pin on Triple H in the handycap match 3 weeks ago. I know that may not seem like much at all. But then I saw Legacy vs DX at Summerslam.
Yes, Cody got pinned. But during the match, he was made to look awesome. HBK sold like crazy for him and took a lot of offense from him while Triple H was beating the hell out of Dibiase.

Now, perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but could it be that WWE want Cody to be the break out star? Or are they just trying to make Cody look not completely useless? Is it just a coincidence that he's been getting a subtle little push in recent weeks? Or maybe WWE want both Rhodes and Dibiase to become big stars?

Ted will still be the break out star, at least until his film has been released, and will be the one who turns face. It seems this film will be released soon so Legacy could well come to an end very soon and if that is the case Cody needs to look as good as possible until then so he doesn't get lost by himself.

Either that or Brett will be a straight swap for Ted in Legacy and Cody will then take up the role of the better of the two with Brett being the one to take the beatings.

As for you saying Cody looked great whilst Ted was being beaten up, I disagree. They both looked superb in that tag match. Ted still looks like the strongest of the duo to me and will get the first big push, just Cody now looks like he can play with the big boys after looking like the weak link for so long.

I'm glad someone posted a new Legacy post, because I've kinda been itching to comment on them. First of all, I thought initially that Cody would end up the better of the two. Cody is better in the ring: when they formed their tag team at Night of Champions 2008, when they started trying to impress Orton, and still today. Ted really needs to work on his in-ring. He still does a lot of punching, kicking and other basic moves, but I don't notice the things that other wrestlers have. Cody has a friggin moonsault in his offense for Christ's Sake!!!

I think Ted is better on the mic and because of who is father is, I think he's closer to being the breakout star. Ted DiBiase Sr. was such an influential figure in the 1980's WWF while Dusty Rhodes was so-so in his WWF run. They both looked great at Summerslam against DX, but I would say Cody looked better.

I think Ted is better on the mic and because of who is father is, I think he's closer to being the breakout star. Ted DiBiase Sr. was such an influential figure in the 1980's WWF while Dusty Rhodes was so-so in his WWF run. They both looked great at Summerslam against DX, but I would say Cody looked better.

I don't see what that has anything to do with Cody's projected wrestling career. I mean Rocky Johnson wasn't a world champion in the WWF but his son The Rock was one of the biggest superstars ever. What your dad did when he wrestled has nothing to do with it.

In terms of the "breakout star" I would much prefer Cody Rhodes. Not only does he enjoy playing 'The Legend of Zelda', but he seems the more interesting of the two. I mean, don't get me wrong, he looks generic as hell, but then, so does Ted DiBiase. I mean, I absolutely despise it when every calls out for Ted DiBiase to be a future world champion, and to be facing Orton at WM 26. No way. He has no gimmick, no outstanding ring skills and sub par mic skills. What part of that is enticing besides the fact that he has a famous ast name?

Cody Rhodes is your typical Create-A-Wrestler from the Smackdown vs Raw games. Blue trunks, short haircut, no really distinguishing features or tattoos. But CAW Cody draws me so much more that DiBiase. He's better than Ted in the ring in any case. But I still wouldnt want to see him anywhere near a face turn against Randy Orton. That would murder the main event scene on Raw. I wonder how many people who say "Oh DiBiase has so much potential, he should be main eventing" would actually buy a PPV that he is headlining. I'm guessing not many.

I don't see what that has anything to do with Cody's projected wrestling career. I mean Rocky Johnson wasn't a world champion in the WWF but his son The Rock was one of the biggest superstars ever. What your dad did when he wrestled has nothing to do with it.

Nor am I suggesting that it does. I simply meant that both of these guys are doing what they do because of their fathers. Both have fantastic lineages, but, in my opinion, the name DiBiase has more firepower than the name Rhodes. DiBiase has been in WWE much shorter than Rhodes, and look at their respective paths....it took Ted a lot less time to be where he is. A teeny, tiny percentage of that has to do with who his father is, seeing as how his Dad introduced the World to him last summer.

Since Legacy as formed, there's two things people primarily talk about on this site.
1) How awful they are and how they supposedly get squashed every week
and 2) The fact that Ted Dibiase Jr. will be the one to get the huge push, feud with Orton as a face and become a star.

And it did seem like Dibiase would be getting the push. He was the one who first started to rebel against Orton for a short time. Dibiase was put in a match against Orton a month ago on Raw, and Orton made Dibiase look good. It all seemed like Dibiase would be breaking away from Legacy and feuding with Orton in 2010.

But then I started noticing subtle little things that Cody Rhodes has been doing recently.
Rhodes got the pin on Triple H in the handycap match 3 weeks ago. I know that may not seem like much at all. But then I saw Legacy vs DX at Summerslam.
Yes, Cody got pinned. But during the match, he was made to look awesome. HBK sold like crazy for him and took a lot of offense from him while Triple H was beating the hell out of Dibiase.

Now, perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but could it be that WWE want Cody to be the break out star? Or are they just trying to make Cody look not completely useless? Is it just a coincidence that he's been getting a subtle little push in recent weeks? Or maybe WWE want both Rhodes and Dibiase to become big stars?

Funny you say that Blade because I've noticed those subtle things you've alluded to as well...such as Rhodes getting the pin on Hunter and then in the match against DX at Summerslam, I thought he was allowed to do more than Dibiase (like the exchanges he had with Shawn Michaels).

However, I'm not sure if we can draw from this that they want him to be the break out star (although it is possible), it's more likely they want them both to be big stars in the future. Personally, I've always been a fan of Rhodes since he debuted with WWE and then when Dibiase came along I was and still do find myself more entertained by Rhodes and so I wouldn't mind if he was to become the break out star.

Nonetheless, whether that happens or not I'm glad that they aren't using him as squash fodder any more and that he is actually being given a chance to show case what he's got...I've always thought he was good and now he's getting better.

I haven't jumped on to the "Dibiase for World Champion" bandwagon just yet because I still think we need to see far more from him before making claims like that, the guy has talent no doubt but how anyone can claim he's a future champion is beyond me...wait until he does something and then make that claim.

Overall, I'm glad I don't seem to be the only one to have noticed the treatment Rhodes has been receiving as of late...I'm not saying it means he is going to be the star but he certainly hasn't been made to look bad recently.

I hadn't noticed that, but I'll take your word for it that it is happening. Furthermore, I'll pretend like it was intentional, and not just random. Thus...

What this means is that they are obviously trying to build up Cody, so that when Ted leaves, he has a ready made feud right away. Turning face is good and all, but I highly doubt DiBiase will be ready to feud with Orton right away, so he has to have SOMEONE to feud with...which means Cody is the only other logical choice. By building Cody up, Ted can look better, and perhaps even both of them can get over from the feud.

Because it is so blatantly obvious that Ted is being set up for the face turn (he wears red trunks, red!, not evil black like the other two), it wouldn't be that suprising if they did pull a swerve. Or at least it wouldn't be if Ted wasn't the star of an upcoming film. I think Cody is probably a bit better actually, and would certainly be a better face, but we'll see in time, I'm sure.

Anyway, I think it will still be Ted, but I think he will flop as badly as The Marine 2 does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back