• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE for Kidz?

SJM12492

SAVE_US.Y2J
WWE have changed their rating system to TV-PG to appeal to younger audiences. Good move, bad move... either way there have been haters and and people who aggre witht that idea. They had a choice between just adults or children as well. In my opinion they 'sort of' made the right decision if there are a lot of kids watching it. But in my opinion, this is what they should have done...
Create a new show, that's right, insted of having it change to TV-PG, just create a new show for Kids! They can call it WWE Kidz (It's a working progress). A one-hour show (mabye two) which kids can watch on TV after they come home from school. You can have their favourites like Cena, Jeff, Mysterio performing, and classic heels like JBL (mabye not himself, because he left) performing for them too. Make the storylines less complicated for them, have superstars from all brands (Kinda like WWE Superstars).
While this is on, you can have RAW, SmackDown! and ECW for the older audiences still with the same occasional swearing and mabye pushing the boundries every now and then.
Okay, so that's my idea... What do you think?

- By this, I don't mean the show to be a new brand, it's just a show like WWE Superstars / Heat.

- Also, you might argues that it might be hard on the superstars themselves performing, but I figure if it's meant for kids, that most of it will be segments and promos, mabye 3-4 matches maximum.

Now the odds are they can't do that now. But how would you have felt if they done this insted?

SJM, I have to disagree. That concept doesn't make much sense. The PG rating isn't only so children watch the show. The WWE is trying to reach a much more broad demographic. If they dump a ton of money into a kid-friendly show, the ratings will be shit. If the adults don't watch, the show will tank. And storylines don't need to be simplified... they're simplified right now. And who the heck wants to watch a WRESTLING program that is mostly filled with promos and backstage segments?? Most of the wrestling audience complains about that on a daily basis.

Your thinking pattern is going in the right direction, but from a business standpoint it's a bad idea.

Your thinking pattern is going in the right direction, but from a business standpoint it's a bad idea.

I have to agree with The D-Man, good idea but the last thing we need right now is another hour long show full of Promos and Kevin Kelly.
I remember back in the day when all we had was weekly raw, a couple of catch up shows and the Main 5 PPV's (im including KotR in there :p) and you actually looked forward to each show, but nowadays its just constantly rammed down our throats, with a dozen catch up shows and more PPV's than i can handle! God i miss those days!!! :ass:

Why go out of the way to please the older audience with boundary pushing if there is a younger demo that also has (perhaps their parents) money to spend? Another problem with your idea is the perception that they "chose" between adults and children. Flawed logic, IMO, as it's possible for adults and children to be successfully entertained by the same things. Wall-E ring any bells? Adults shouldn't need to be pandered to with mindless shock television to be better entertained. It helps in some settings, but wrestling doesn't cry out for it all the time. I want smart television. And smart television can appeal to many demos, if done correctly.

I suppose my idea was a little out there. Yeah, I think you guys are right. But I wasn't thinking about it from a business point of view...

i think f*** the kids, the rating was there for a reason, they didn't make it a multi million dollar business did they! no. the fans of the WWE who have watched WWE for years. i've watched WWE since i was 5 years old and have never seen a problem with it, if it's so bad to watch for the kids, here's an idea, F*** OFF AND WATCH KIDS TV! i haven't noticed a difference in the audiences at wrestling events, there aren't more kids there, so all this shit about attracting the "younger" audience is bullshit!

One thing I've noticed more and more as I've gotten more mature is how selfish and closed-minded some of the fans who want "adult" content can be. It's shocking how little they consider the money to be lost by turning young fans away or the idea that some content can be entertaining to both demos.

Another interesting thing is the idea that one adult-themed show and on child-themed show will work. If a parent sees their child watching Raw and there is something the parent considers too offensive, the child will be banned from watching all wrestling rather than "just Raw."

Telling them to go watch shows directed towards a younger audience is silly because the counter argument (Go watch shows directed as adults!) is quite simple and gets us nowhere.

That said, if I want adult content then I know how to pop in my Dexter or NYPD Blue DVDs. :)

One thing I've noticed more and more as I've gotten more mature is how selfish and closed-minded some of the fans who want "adult" content can be. It's shocking how little they consider the money to be lost by turning young fans away or the idea that some content can be entertaining to both demos.

Another interesting thing is the idea that one adult-themed show and on child-themed show will work. If a parent sees their child watching Raw and there is something the parent considers too offensive, the child will be banned from watching all wrestling rather than "just Raw."

Telling them to go watch shows directed towards a younger audience is silly because the counter argument (Go watch shows directed as adults!) is quite simple and gets us nowhere.

That said, if I want adult content then I know how to pop in my Dexter or NYPD Blue DVDs. :)

Sure, we can go ahead and bring this debate over to this Forum, as well.

So, you think that people like me, who want Adult Content in our storylines, are being selfish? Yet, you go ahead and turn around and say "the kids are more important than the adults" (along with those who have kidlike mentalities) and somehow think you aren't being selfish?

It also shows a little naivety on your part, as well. You think we are risking turning kids away and throwing their money down the toilet? Well, clearly you are taking the money of adults, the ones who really make the money, and throwing their money down the toilet by not targeting them enough by offering programming content that appeals to their interests.

As has been posted countless times on this forum and other forums, there is a way to do both. And you actually mentioned it to a degree. I find those with your mentality, to be frank, the most selfish of them all for not accepting that solution, that there is a way for EVERYONE to have their cake and eat it, too.

Strictly enforce the Brand splits and then provide the following formats:

Raw- edgy programming with adult content- TV-14 rating- 9-11 PM Mondays

Smackdown- content suitable for all ages, but targeted towards kids- TV- PG rating- 8-10 PM preferably on Thursdays

ECW- niche brand featuring either Hardcore, Crusierweight wrestling, or both formats. TV 14 or PG rating (depending on what is done with the brand)- 8-9PM or 9-10 PM for Hardcore wrestling OR 10-11 PM for Cruiserweight wrestling on Tuesdays, depending on which format would be chosen for the Brand. A Hardcore wrestling format for this program will earn the show a TV-14 rating and should be aired from 9-10 PM or 10-11 PM. A Cruiserweight wrestling format for this show will get away with a PG rating and can be aired from 8-9 PM or 9-10 PM.

The problem is that people like you don't like adult programming content in wrestling. And there are a good amount of people like you. But there are also a large amount of people like me, who do like adult programming content in wrestling. What's the solution? Make everyone happy by giving both groups shows that appeal to them.

The goal should always be to expand the size of your audience as much as possible. The more people you have watching your products, the more people you have willing to spend money on PPV's, merchandise, attend live events, etc.

I still have yet to hear a good explanation from anyone on your side explaining why you need all of your total audience watching all 3 television programs. The bottom line is that you don't. And it doesn't make sense. If the philosophy of "be everything to everyone" made sense in television, then explain why all the shows on television today aren't predominantly PG. That's because TV executives are smart enough to know that you can't please the majority of viewers by trying to tell adults that they should be liking products that are suitable for children .... and that they can't tell children that they should be liking products suitable for adults.

Having three shows with different formats all under the same umbrella is nothing a good PR and marketing team can't handle. That was something lacking back in the day when Vince tried the same experiment with making Raw the edgy show, while explaining to parents that the House Shows were more for a kids audience. That was a flawed ideology, because it was still all the same Brand. The difference this time is that there would be 3 different brands, and essentially 3 different products put out. There would be less emphasis on the "WWE" name, and more reference to "Raw, Smackdown, and ECW".

When a parent sees their child watching something on FOX they don't like, do they tell the kid that they won't be watching FOX any longer? No. They won't be watching that show any longer. And with less focus on the "WWE" name (possibly no reference, whatsoever) during the broadcasts, that only works to the advantage, because parents will think of all 3 shows as 3 completely different products. Just like it was with WWE, WCW, and ECW during the Monday Night Wars. That is all that is essentially being replicated is that same formula with Raw going back to WWE during that day and age, Smackdown becoming family friendly similar to WCW, and ECW being a niche brand like it once was that targeted more hardcore fans of wrestling, as opposed to just casual fans.

Different age brackets have different tastes. That is just the way it is. You can either ignore it and risk alienating a huge chunk of your total potential audience of all the shows combined ... or you can please BOTH of your audiences by offering BOTH of them products that are suitable for them.

TV Networks do it on a daily basis. Any one network offers dozens of programs a day with a wide variety of ratings all geared to different audiences.

All WWE needs to do is expand their vision, and think of themselves on a larger scale, instead of looking at their product through tunnel vision, like the old days. Instead of thinking of themselves as a single organization putting out one single product amongst all its television outlets, they need to think of themselves as a conglomerate that specializes in putting out a variety of wrestling products. Edgy wrestling, family-friendly wrestling, hardcore or cruiserweight wrestling, etc. When I think of the company name "World Wrestling Entertainment", that is what I first think of when I see a name like that-- a conglomerate that specializes in a variety of wrestling products, instead of one single product spread across all its television outlets.

So, with that being said, I find fans with your mentality, truly the most selfish fans in today's wrestling. Because where as people like me think of all the audiences, you only think of yourself, and what you want/like.

i think f*** the kids, the rating was there for a reason, they didn't make it a multi million dollar business did they! no. the fans of the WWE who have watched WWE for years. i've watched WWE since i was 5 years old and have never seen a problem with it, if it's so bad to watch for the kids, here's an idea, F*** OFF AND WATCH KIDS TV! i haven't noticed a difference in the audiences at wrestling events, there aren't more kids there, so all this shit about attracting the "younger" audience is bullshit!

I totally agree. By making the product more kid friendly, you risk losing your 18-35 male demographic, which is your bread and butter. The Attitude era was the most popular era ever, I'm sure we would all agree. It was based on shock value and adult themed storylines. One of Raw's highest rated segment was Pillman's got a gun, not very kid friendly.

The problem with marketing to kids, is you are watering down an adult product to children. Wrestling is sports entertainment, but is still a contact sport. Boxing, UFC, MMA don't market to kids because its an adult product. The WWE continues marketing to kids, eventually little Johnny decides to act just like his hero, John Cena and give his classmate an attitude adjustment. He breaks the little bastards neck. Now everyone blames the WWE cause they are marketing an adult product to kids.

WWE needs to keep the TV-14 rating, have kid friendly segments but market to your most dominate audience, Males 18-35.

Sure, we can go ahead and bring this debate over to this Forum, as well.
Happy to see you too, Sid.

So, you think that people like me, who want Adult Content in our storylines, are being selfish? Yet, you go ahead and turn around and say "the kids are more important than the adults" (along with those who have kidlike mentalities) and somehow think you aren't being selfish?
I never said the children are more important. They're both important and compromise will create a product that appeals across demographics. Yes, Disney appeals to many demos, with Wall-E, that rat film, Toy Story (1 & 2), The Incredibles, and so on having a great adult audience while also pleasing children. Not every adult needs shock TV. Some just need smart TV. That's not to say Disney doesn't invest, indirectly, in other adult products, but they don't pander to the violence and sex nuts under the Disney banner.

And they're the model of success.

Of course that doesn't rule out that there are a few outliers who just enjoy being difficult. But I can't imagine anyone wanting to pander to them. It's the same with every product I'm sure. Some All My Children fans probably find Ryan as annoying as they come, but you can't change the product for a few outliers who will never be pleased when you have unemployed fat chicks tuning in every day to swoon over Ryan's huckiness.

We can't always get what we want.

It also shows a little naivety on your part, as well.
*cough* Bating *cough*

You think we are risking turning kids away and throwing their money down the toilet? Well, clearly you are taking the money of adults, the ones who really make the money, and throwing their money down the toilet by not targeting them enough by offering programming content that appeals to their interests.
Not all adults are closed minded enough to demand blood and guts in every show they watch. If I want Dexter and NYPD Blue, I know how to pop in that disc.

Furthermore, what makes you think your money is more valuable than that of the parents who spend money spoiling their children with Cena gear, Rey masks, and Hornswoggle hats?

The fact is that your money is the same as theirs.

Don't act like PG-WWE has changed the product any, either. We saw a man DDT a woman and then kiss her prone, lifeless body. I don't remember seeing that on Scooby Doo...

As has been posted countless times on this forum and other forums, there is a way to do both.
:)

I find those with your mentality, to be frank, the most selfish of them all for not accepting that solution, that there is a way for EVERYONE to have their cake and eat it, too.

Strictly enforce the Brand splits and then provide the following formats:

Raw- edgy programming with adult content- TV-14 rating- 9-11 PM Mondays

Smackdown- content suitable for all ages, but targeted towards kids- TV- PG rating- 8-10 PM preferably on Thursdays

ECW- niche brand featuring either Hardcore, Crusierweight wrestling, or both formats. TV 14 or PG rating (depending on what is done with the brand)- 8-9PM or 9-10 PM for Hardcore wrestling OR 10-11 PM for Cruiserweight wrestling on Tuesdays, depending on which format would be chosen for the Brand. A Hardcore wrestling format for this program will earn the show a TV-14 rating and should be aired from 9-10 PM or 10-11 PM. A Cruiserweight wrestling format for this show will get away with a PG rating and can be aired from 8-9 PM or 9-10 PM.
The problem is that when parents see shit going down on Raw (breast fondling, for example..), they won't let their children watch ANY wrestling. Parents are like that.

They wouldn't research the topic further. They wouldn't know of the reputation of SmackDown. All they'd think is, "Wow, wrestling sure is trashy." Some PR teams can't counter an impression as strong as some shock TV aims to make.

The problem is that people like you don't like adult programming content in wrestling. And there are a good amount of people like you. But there are also a large amount of people like me, who do like adult programming content in wrestling. What's the solution?
Expect adults to act like adults and not be mindlessly bloodthirsty?

Some things don't need to be adult themed for the sake of it.

I still have yet to hear a good explanation from anyone on your side explaining why you need all of your total audience watching all 3 television programs.
Because you're watching too. The attitude era is gone, those fans aren't coming back. Fans are finally being resensitized, the damage of that era is being undone, and the leftover attitude era fans are now the minority but are still watching... and complaining... and buying shows.

Yet you feel the need to alienate the people on my side of the debate by giving us one show a week while your minority gets special treatment. Insulting.

The bottom line is that you don't. And it doesn't make sense. If the philosophy of "be everything to everyone" made sense in television, then explain why all the shows on television today aren't predominantly PG.
Because 24 isn't thought of in the same sentence as something lighter like Chuck. However, with wrestling little distinction is made between the brands. Wrestling is wrestling and that's all there is too it.

I'd respond to the rest, but I skimmed and it looked like a bunch of repeating old points and telling me how arrogant I am. So... yeah.

I totally agree. By making the product more kid friendly, you risk losing your 18-35 male demographic, which is your bread and butter. The Attitude era was the most popular era ever, I'm sure we would all agree. It was based on shock value and adult themed storylines. One of Raw's highest rated segment was Pillman's got a gun, not very kid friendly.

There have been plenty of things from the Attitude Era that flopped; big-time. Bossman hung? Bossman dragging the Big Show's father's casket off? Attitude Era worked because of the people that were there at the time. Plus, the WWE has lost this 18-35 demograpic to a significan extent. What were they running during that time? Around 6? If that is so, then almost half of the audience has stopped watching regularly. So invest in a group who won't complain about "that's been done before" and could watch for years to come. You play the hand dealt and these guys just don't pull out a successful "adult" show. Look at 2003-2007. If your 18-35 are still watching, then the risk probably wasn't there.

[/QUOTE]The problem with marketing to kids, is you are watering down an adult product to children. Wrestling is sports entertainment, but is still a contact sport. Boxing, UFC, MMA don't market to kids because its an adult product. The WWE continues marketing to kids, eventually little Johnny decides to act just like his hero, John Cena and give his classmate an attitude adjustment. He breaks the little bastards neck. Now everyone blames the WWE cause they are marketing an adult product to kids..[/QUOTE]

I agree to an extent. You want the kid to feel like they are watching something with an edge to it. But if you have superheroes (Cena) and supervillans (Orton), then your show should reflect that. If you have a bunch of guys who are upset about the way they are handled (Austin, HHH, Foley), then play to that. Parents need to decide whether what their kid is watching is appropriate for their own child(ren). I have watched since I was two and never hit a classmate with a chair or tried a pile-driver. Making it an "adult" show won't keep parents from complaining that their kid was hurt "because of the WWE." Kids can enjoy wrestling when parents do their job. And remember, Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men were not kid products initally. Watered the content down and have all kinds of crap for kids to buy.

Kids are a huge market. Don't believe me? Look at Mattel. Disney. Dreamworks. Look at all of the little teenage pop-bands/singers. You better have some connection or your new 18-34 may not pay attention to you.

.[/QUOTE]WWE needs to keep the TV-14 rating, have kid friendly segments but market to your most dominate audience, Males 18-35.[/QUOTE]

Why market to people who are slowly turning on you? As for us still watching, the switch doesn't hurt them. I see your points and they are valid. But it is hard for me to argue with what Vince was doing.

Happy to see you too, Sid.

Touche.

I never said the children are more important.

You verbally did not come out and state this, but in what you are suggesting, yes apparently they are more important to you. Because if they were not more important to you, you would agree with the philosophy that something should be offered that appeals to older adults, as well.

I group a lot of fans of todays wrestling all in the same category ... because they share a lot of the same characteristics.

1) They think their opinions are far superior to everyone else's, such that today's wrestling is far superior to the Crash TV style of the Attitude Era and "Trash TV".

2) They complain about adult-based storylines, coarse language, etc. yet they were big fans of Stone Cold Steve Austin's character. Go figure.

3) They want Raw and Smackdown filled with first-rate long, lengthy matches going 15 to 20 minutes minimum ... yet can't understand why other people complain about PPV events when you see the same two competitors going at it in a match that took place on TV a few weeks prior.

Most recently, they can't understand why people are sick of seeing Cena vs Edge, when it has been done to death. I know these two can put on a good match. I'm not necessarily looking for a first rate match between two guys I have seen wrestle probably damn near close to 75 times already. I want new, fresh matches between superstars I haven't seen wrestle before.

4) Even though they feel their preferred style of wrestling is far superior and turn their noses up to those that like Crash TV or some Springer-like moments in storylines ... they have absolutely zero statistical data that backs up their opinions on a majority scale. Neither TV ratings, PPV buyrates, or arena attendance supports today's state of wrestling being superior to that of the WWE of the Attitude Era.

So when push comes to shove and data gets brought up that doesn't support their arguments, they choose to disregard the data and continue to stick to their opinions ... as if their opinions are somehow greater proof of the state of the business as opposed to actual concrete data.

5) They also can not understand that there are fans that watch wrestling for the total, entertainment product. I am not like a Japanese fan that dissects and picks apart matches, as evidenced by most of my posts. I actually am an educated fan of wrestling, that looks at wrestling from a Casual fan's perspective into what I think they find enjoyable, as opposed to necessarily smarks.

Therefore, my criticism is more on a broader scale with the entire product, as opposed to focusing on the quality of wrestling, which is miniscule in the big scheme of things. The quality of today's actual wrestling is far superior to that of the Hogan and Attitude Eras. No question about it. But that doesn't mean that today's total, overall product is a better product compared to both of those time frames.

They're both important and compromise will create a product that appeals across demographics.

Not to say that compromising is a bad thing, but it is all in the way you actually do it.

Your way of "compromising" is to sit fans of all ages down and say "look. I have one product that I am putting out, and I EXPECT all of you to like it regardless. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Little 6 year old Johnny, I expect you to enjoy Randy Orton making out with a knocked-out Stephanie McMahon on camera. Likewise, Mr. Bill, I expect you to find Hornswoggle dancing around with little children in the ring entertaining."

It is an unrealistic expectation in this day and age. And that is why the company isn't as successful as it could be, in my view.

You mention compromise. I am also compromising. However, my way of compromising involves making all of my major audiences happy by offering them products that appeal to each of them.

1 product for older teens and adults
1 product for all age brackets
1 niche product geared towards hardcore fans of wrestling

Yes, Disney appeals to many demos, with Wall-E, that rat film, Toy Story (1 & 2), The Incredibles, and so on having a great adult audience while also pleasing children. Not every adult needs shock TV. Some just need smart TV. That's not to say Disney doesn't invest, indirectly, in other adult products, but they don't pander to the violence and sex nuts under the Disney banner.

Are you going to tell me with a straight face that Disney tries to "target adults"?

There is a difference in your total audience, as well as your Target Audience. Disney is unquestionably geared and specifically targeted to children. However, they insert some material that is bound to attempt to please adults who happen to take their kids to the shows. A couple moments here and there to get the adults to snicker, as well.

Also, are you classifying the fans of the Attitude Era as "violence and sex nuts"? If that is the case, then I suppose there are a hell of a lot of "violence and sex nuts" out there, since that was the most popular period of all time in the history of WWE television. Again, nothing to turn your nose up at.

I think there is a difference between those who like their television filled with some violence and sexual situations, and those that are actually violence/sex addicts in real life. Maybe that's just me, though.

Some of us have the capability to understand that what is on our TV screens is just a TV show and entertainment. Others, still can not distinguish between wrestling and the real world.

Of course that doesn't rule out that there are a few outliers who just enjoy being difficult. But I can't imagine anyone wanting to pander to them. It's the same with every product I'm sure. Some All My Children fans probably find Ryan as annoying as they come, but you can't change the product for a few outliers who will never be pleased when you have unemployed fat chicks tuning in every day to swoon over Ryan's huckiness.

You do realize that WWE has lost half of its audience since the Attitude Era, I assume? Ratings went from its peak in the mid 6's to an average rating in the low 3's, with it even dipping below the 3's and into the 2's when Cena was gone. So with that being said, I don't know who you think you are calling that group that vanished the "outliers". That is actually a SIGNIFICANT chunk of your total audience you just lost. What Network Executive is going to be thrilled to announce that he "isn't worried about the outliers he lost over the years, which happened to be half of his audience"?

We can't always get what we want.

Actually, we can. It all depends on how selfish a fan you want to be. I have enough respect for fans like you that I can acknowledge that you are one large portion of the audience. And therefore, that is why I think you deserve a product suited for you and for families.

However, what ticks me off is your complete disregard and lack of respect for fans like me, who comprised the other half of that audience, who do like the edgier content mixed with wrestling. Content that is more geared towards the 18-34 year old male, many of which are single, don't have kids, but spend money just the same and come to the shows with their friends who like the same kind of content.

That is why I say that you guys are very arrogant and pompous in you are not willing to acknowledge anyone else in the wrestling audience other than those who share your same viewpoints. In reality, you are only a portion of the total potential wrestling audience.

*cough* Bating *cough*

Why don't we leave it to the Mods to decide that one? This is nothing more than a routine trick of making false allegations to get the Mods to take notice in an attempt to sway their opinion, by making the allegation. Do your job and let them do theirs.

Not all adults are closed minded enough to demand blood and guts in every show they watch. If I want Dexter and NYPD Blue, I know how to pop in that disc.

And you wonder why I call people like you "arrogant"? It's because you turn your nose up at those that find different programming content appealing than you do.

To be frank, I never found the blood and guts all that appealing in the old ECW. I was a fan of a few aspects of the old ECW, but as a whole, I didn't personally find it very appealing.

But yes, I do like violence in my wrestling. Yes, I do like a little sexuality from the Divas in my wrestling. Yes, I do like cursing in my wrestling. Yes, I do like controversial subjects/storylines in my wrestling. What I am proposing is nothing new and nothing WWE hasn't done before. As a matter of fact, what I find appealing is clearly what the majority of fans also found appealing, as well ... as supported by ratings, buyrates, and sold out arenas for even House Shows.

Furthermore, what makes you think your money is more valuable than that of the parents who spend money spoiling their children with Cena gear, Rey masks, and Hornswoggle hats?

The fact is that your money is the same as theirs.

So you are admitting that my money is the same as theirs, but what you are telling me is that you don't want my money by offering me a product that is targeted specifically to me. Rather, you are only offering a watered down target that you are "attempting" (key word- "attempting") to target to everyone.

And like has been addressed, if setting "everyone" as your "target audience" was such a brilliant strategy, don't you think more tv programs and movies today would do just that? There is a reason why they don't. Because they know that it is unrealistic to expect a child to have the exact same tastes as a grownup.

You can try telling them that they should all you want, but it just isn't realistic in this day and age. With the advent of the Internet, the population today is more picky and choosie as a whole, as it has ever been.

The advantage the wrestling industry as a whole had years ago, was that those choices were available to all the consumers. Now, there is only one product in town produced by one company. The answer should be obvious to anyone with a brain why today's wrestling isn't as popular. It's because there are no more choices to pick from. So over time, half of the audience gave up and left. This should be considered a monumental failure on the part of WWE and it's loyalist fans, as they severely dropped the ball in this regard.

Don't act like PG-WWE has changed the product any, either. We saw a man DDT a woman and then kiss her prone, lifeless body. I don't remember seeing that on Scooby Doo...

Last time I checked, Scooby Doo is Rated G.

Besides that and using your example of "a man DDT'ing Stephanie McMahon and then kissing her", while implying this is supposedly "not PG programming", this again points to the ignorance of many of today's fans with either trying to attempt to distort what the rating is to try and claim that what we are seeing today is actually NOT PG television, but rather PG-13 television with a PG rating attached to it (interpreted as WWE being "cool" in trying to push the envelope) .... OR fans being truly ignorant as to what constitutes certain ratings.

Every thing you see on WWE television since the PG rating has been PG television. One can not successfully dispute that fact.

Here is the definition (as I posted in another thread) ...

Parental Guidance Suggested
This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. The theme itself may call for parental guidance and/or the program may contain one or more of the following: some suggestive dialogue (D), infrequent coarse language (L), some sexual situations (S), or moderate violence (V).

So again, as far as your example ...

What that is, is PG television with "Moderate Violence" and perhaps "some sexual situations". Are you going to dispute that and the definition of the rating, or are you going to keep further digging yourself in a hole by claiming that this segment was PG-13 television? Maybe it was "R Rated television" according to some people's definitions in their heads. However, clearly that fits the actual definition of PG Rated programming according to the TV Ratings Board.

The problem is that when parents see shit going down on Raw (breast fondling, for example..), they won't let their children watch ANY wrestling. Parents are like that.

Well, I would first like to see what statistics you have that points to this claim. The fact of the matter is that "kids" watched WWE right along with parents all throughout the Attitude Era, and ratings were absolutely magnificent, and it stayed that way for an extremely long time ... until Rock and Austin left, unfortunately.

Then, ECW went out of business. Then, Vince bought WCW, which was a serious blow to the entire wrestling industry, and hence why we are responsible for having the stale, awful, uncreative (in my opinion) product we have today.

As far as your Parental Concerns, let me re-iterate again, here is yet another example of despite your claims to the contrary, you are still putting the kids first before the adults, who actually are the ones paying to order the shows and attend the events.

Let me try to break this down even further, since you are so concerned about the kids.

This information on who exactly is watching WWE television is taken directly from a WWE.com corporate ad website.

http://adsales.wwe.com/research/

U.S. Audience Profile:

Demographics

* 86% are male
* Mean Age = 24 yrs old
* 36% are ages 12-17
* 58% are ages 18-49
* 40% are males 18-34
* 39% are non-white
* 62% of males 18-34 are full time employed
* 41% are student
* 78% have high speed connections

So, the Mean Age is 24 years old. 58% of the market are aged 18-49, with 40% being aged 18-34 ... yet you want to cater to the minority?

What this is by trying to emphasize the "kids", is nothing more than a cop-out attempt that many defenders of today's wrestling try to use ... with their true intention being that they in reality like the product themselves better now, so therefore try to make that up as an excuse on why kids should supposedly be catered to. And I know that is what is really going on, more so than people actually being "concerned for the kids".

However, like I have stated numerous times, WWE absolutely should not turn their backs to the kids, as that would be a horrendous move. Kids do makeup some 36% of the Audience, and they are the fans of tomorrow. But at the same time, they are not the Majority of the Fan Base, who WWE should have an obligation to catering to, as the 18-49 year old male makes up well over 20% more of the fanbase than the kids.

So what I am saying is that instead of unrealistically attempting to tell a 49 year old that he should be liking programming content that is suited for a 12 year old, that each of these groups should have programming that targets their interests. That is EXACTLY what we had with WWE, WCW, and ECW ... when business was the strongest, and that is the correct approach for today. With the only difference being that all the brands would be under the WWE umbrella, with Vince reaping ALL the profits from his different products.

That way:

The sizable number of adults who want the edgy programming content including the sexual situations, greater degree of violence, and complex/controversial storylines are happy with a TV-14 product.

The kids are happy with a PG rated product.

The adults who don't like the edgy programming content, are happy with the PG rated product.

The diehard fans of wrestling are happy with a niche product featuring either hardcore wrestling, cruiserweight wrestling ... or a show that features both.

Adults with children can watch the PG rated show (Smackdown) with their kids, while watching Raw on Mondays, after the kids go to bed.

The bottom line is that there is still going to be a ton of cross-programming watching going on. I am willing to wager that the adults would watch both shows, and the older teens would also watch both shows. But the kids would watch Smackdown, as is the job of the parent to enforce ... and which would be communicated to them through WWE PR and Marketing, making it very clear that Smackdown is the show for the kids to watch, as it is cleaner and better-suited for their age bracket.

For all intents and purposes, the shows would truly be treated as separate Brands under the WWE umbrella, and absolutely NO superstars would be appearing on each of the weekly shows like today, EXCEPT when there is a Draft and they actually change brands.

They wouldn't research the topic further. They wouldn't know of the reputation of SmackDown. All they'd think is, "Wow, wrestling sure is trashy." Some PR teams can't counter an impression as strong as some shock TV aims to make.

Again, here you go putting the kids before the adults. Why don't you just come out and say what's really on your mind? Kids are more important to you than adults are, despite the fact that adults are clearly the much larger demo. Or, that you simply prefer today's wrestling over Attitude Era programming, and are simply trying to beat this argument into the ground by using this "Kids" argument as a crutch?

It doesn't hold water.

It is not the WWE's job to parent the kids. It is the parent's job to parent the kids and teach them what is and what is not appropriate. This statement came out of the mouth of none other than Vince McMahon himself several years ago.

The fact of the matter is that from a PR perspective, WWE is covered, unlike before several years ago. Before, they offered one product, and tried to tell parents that it was okay for kids to attend house shows, but that Raw was more geared for adults. That idea was ineffective because WWE truly only offered one product back then. Where as today, they have the ability to offer multiple products, by actually treating their shows as real, separate brands, all under the World Wrestling Entertainment umbrella.

The fact is that WWE would actually offering a show for suitable for kids this time. But at the same time, they are appealing to their majority demo on a different show.

Expect adults to act like adults and not be mindlessly bloodthirsty?

Some things don't need to be adult themed for the sake of it.

Adults don't like to be told what they should and what they should not be liking. That is not your decision to make. Adults like adult things, while kids like things that appeal to them. You can not expect 49 year olds to have the same interests at 12 year olds. It is simply unrealistic.

Again, this goes back to why we have a variety of television programs that air every single day on TV networks, that each target a variety of target markets. Some target children. Some target teens. Some target adults. Some target seniors. Some target men. Some target women.

You see very few things on TV that actually "target Everyone". It's because TV Network Execs (and advertisers) know that it is impossible to effectively do so. You mentioned Disney, but let's face it ... Disney targets kids. Adults watch some of their films, but Disney's Target Market is Kids. So, with that in mind, can you list any other programs that targets "Everyone", like WWE is attempting to do?

Because you're watching too. The attitude era is gone, those fans aren't coming back.

I watch out of being a wrestling loyalist (not a WWE or a Vince loyalist) ... but there is a key difference between me now and me back in 2007 and earlier. I have not purchased a single PPV since the middle of 2007. I have also not attended a WWE event since Survivor Series of 2007 in Philly. It's because I don't enjoy the product as much anymore to actually be motivated to attend the shows anymore. I am not as enthusiastic about the product, as I once was.

I used to attend shows at great frequency, traveling from Maryland to Philly, to Madison Square Garden ... even flying to LA, Texas, and even Canada for several Wrestlemanias. Not anymore.

As far as my viewing patterns ... I used to watch every minute of Raw and Smackdown. Now, I basically have the shows on in the background, and if I miss them, then I miss them.

I don't watch Superstars. I don't watch ECW.

I even took a break from watching Raw altogether for 4 or 5 months last year, when Adamle was GM, as I was incredibly disgusted with their programming.

So no, I am not nearly as loyal a viewer as I once was, and nor is WWE making a single dime off of me in this day and age. So to claim that I am still doing all the same things I did before the content became less appealing to me is simply false.

Fans are finally being resensitized, the damage of that era is being undone, and the leftover attitude era fans are now the minority but are still watching... and complaining... and buying shows.

I'd like to see what data you have that supports that argument.

Again, this statement also shows your own personal bias towards Attitude Era programming content, as well as its fans. You say the "damage done during that Era"? Unbelievable. Last time I checked, WWE revenues were higher, attendance was higher, buyrates were higher, and ratings were higher all during the Attitude Era compared to today.

The only thing WWE does better today is a better job at cutting costs and reducing expenses, so they are more profitable. Things they could have done back then, as well ... and if they had, their profits would have been even more impressive.

But they spent more money on House Shows back then through bringing lights and pyro to all the shows and also were not charging the price for tickets and PPV's that they do today ... which makes all the difference in the world as far as profitability is concerned. The fact of the matter is that WWE was more popular back then, then it is today, as they had the larger audience back then. That can not be disputed, no matter how much you may want to wish otherwise. You can dispute opinions, but you can not dispute facts.

As far as your claims that they are still complaining and buying shows, again I'd like to see some data on that, because I for one, am not. I complain, because I am passionate about the wrestling business as a whole, and if I wasn't, you wouldn't see me writing to the lengths I do on the Forums ... but make no mistake about it, I am not passionate about the current WWE product, and nor am I spending a single dime on it.

Yet you feel the need to alienate the people on my side of the debate by giving us one show a week while your minority gets special treatment. Insulting.

You want to talk about alienating people, that is exactly what WWE and your kind did to the Attitude Era crowd. They absolutely alienated those fans who spent their hard-earned money on that company by essentially telling them "we used to offer you a product you enjoyed, but now that there is no competition around, we don't give a flying fuck about what you like. From now on, we are targeting the kids and are only offering one product. You can either like it or you can go Fuck yourselves."

That is exactly what has transpired and it is an absolutely piss poor mentality to take.

You claim that you are upset that under my proposal, that you would "only get one show per week that you would enjoy". So with that I ask you, who is really being the selfish one?

I also greatly contest your claim that your side is the majority of the total potential wrestling audience. Keeping in mind that WWE programming was pulling in 6.5's during the Attitude Era, to pulling in 3.3's on Average, Vince has essentially lost half of his audience. So your claim that "those with your mentality is the majority" I also find to be misleading and insulting.

Personally, I think both sides are about equal. I honestly don't know which side is greater than the other. All I know is that there was a greater total fanbase of wrestling fans back in the Attitude Era AND when WCW and ECW was still around, as compared to the number of fans who watch wrestling today. Even when Rock and Austin left, WWE was still regularly pulling in above 4.0's on a weekly basis, attendance at House Shows was still higher on average, and PPV buyrates were still higher than today.

All the statistical evidence shows that today's WWE programming, despite the fact that it may appeal to your kind, is NOT as popular with as many fans as it was back when it featured an edgier programming content. You may not like that, but again, all actual physical data points to the contrary of what you like.

The difference between people like you and I, is that where as you are biased against Attitude Era programming, and don't wish to acknowledge its enormous popularity, or its fanbase ... and whereas I am biased in favor of Attitude Era programming while not liking today's WWE nearly as much ... at least I am willing to acknowledge fans like you as sizable in numbers. However, you aren't willing to show the same degree of respect for fans of that programming, despite the fact that they are equally sizable in numbers. That I think is extremely disrespectful.

All because one show isn't enough for you. One show per week that I am actually excited about (Raw) would hold me over. I would also watch the ECW niche product featuring either Hardcore or Cruiserweight wrestling. And I would watch Smackdown somewhere between occasionally to regularly.

Because 24 isn't thought of in the same sentence as something lighter like Chuck. However, with wrestling little distinction is made between the brands. Wrestling is wrestling and that's all there is too it.

If wrestling is just wrestling and the programming content (given the day and age we live in) doesn't matter, then you may want to ask yourself why WWE is having so much difficulty in creating the next Hulk Hogan or the next Steve Austin ... while desperately trying to get Cena on the level of either of those two. It's because their Marquee character does not appeal to enough people. And it's because his character is restricted by the rating in what he can and can not do.

Wrestling may have just been wrestling back in the Hogan Era. But from the Attitude Era, when we have programming choices, on to this day and age, wrestling is not "just wrestling". And that is precisely the reason those like you, as well as Vince, can not understand why not as many people are attending the shows, buying the PPV's, and watching the weekly shows as when wrestling had an edgier WWE, when WCW was around, and when ECW was in existence.

The fact that WWE does not have a Hogan, an Austin, or a Rock, and nor do they even have the capability to make one in this day and age because of the content restrictions on the character, basically says it all about the current strategy.

I'd respond to the rest, but I skimmed and it looked like a bunch of repeating old points and telling me how arrogant I am. So... yeah.

I can respect your likes as a fan and acknowledge the number of fans in your group, but you can not respect my interests or the number of fans that enjoyed the programming I enjoyed. I think that says it all about who is arrogant and who is actually willing to put his personal viewing preferences aside to do what is best for business.

My God... Not this crap again...

I can't stress this enough... The fans from the Attitude Era aren't coming back because the bubble burst. The majority... gone... FOREVER.

The leftovers were fans who started not reacting to stuff that was "toned down" and "not Attitude enough" for their tastes... However, being as it was time to build a new fanbase, (eventually) Vince thought it best to get the content of the shows to a point where shocking stuff would get a response again. The Attitude Era desensitized people, over-exposed the business (Ten chair shots and he's still getting up!! Oh em jee!!), and then the bubble burst. A fun ride, but we shouldn't let us corrupt us forever because eventually it will get to the point that any "normal" content will get no reaction again. No thanks.

I'm not saying money wasn't made and that there wasn't an audience for that. But the old guard needs to let it go as those days are gone.

You verbally did not come out and state this, but in what you are suggesting, yes apparently they are more important to you. Because if they were not more important to you, you would agree with the philosophy that something should be offered that appeals to older adults, as well.
I thought I did. :)

Seriously Sid, don't speak for me. There is nothing between the lines. Anything I intend to say is being said by me.

My biggest problem with your view is that you don't understand that ALL wrestling is looked at as ONE product. It's not Dexter-type stuff on Mondays and then the family variety hour on Fridays. People see it as wrestling or not, black and white. If one program is too much for the children, all of them are. You are alienating an entire demographic by making one show adult-themed, all to pander to people who simply aren't there anymore. So yes, WWE has to target everyone. They aren't a network or a movie studio that can afford to produce products for different demos individually, because wrestling is looked at as ONE product. It wouldn't work.

The reason Cena isn't Hulk, or Austin, or Rock is because the bubble hasn't come back again. It has nothing to do with Cena or the family friendly nature of the show.

The bubble is a result of competition causing BETTER television to be produced. Not edgier.

Okay, so Orton DDTing Steph and kissing her fits the technical definition of PG... Great. So now I'm supposed to believe that such a thing is not edgy? Maybe PG fits the bill just fine if we can get something like that on the program to please your segment of the audience. ;)

PS, that over-run lost viewers, didn't it?

People are finally shocked again. Re-sensitization complete. :)

My God... Not this crap again...

I can't stress this enough... The fans from the Attitude Era aren't coming back because the bubble burst. The majority... gone... FOREVER.

And yet Vince himself thought that it was possible to bring them back into the fanbase when he did McMahon's Million Dollar Giveaway. Interesting.

My personal thoughts are that there is a way to recover SOME of them. Definitely not ALL of them, but I do think there is a way to bring a percentage of them back.

The problem is that you aren't going to bring them back in by simply paying them off to watch a few episodes of Raw, with the current product in place. The only way you are going to bring them back is by doing:

1) Something to catch their attention, such as a PR move like McMahon's Million Dollar Giveaway

AND

2) Offering them programming content with reflects what drew them to the WWE in the first place .... something that reflect what they watched when they were fans of the WWE.

WWE abandoned these fans. Not the other way around. And one can argue that these fans abandoned WWE when Rock and Austin left, which was true. But that was only because WWE was unprepared and did NOT have another Rock/Austin to step up to the plate once they did. So the fault lies with WWE, not the fans. So, there went all the Casual Fans, after Rock and Austin left, which at the time was probably around 30% of the total Attitude Era fanbase.

Other fans still stuck around who were more loyal to the company, because they wanted to give the company a chance to regroup. They still liked the edgy programming content, but were more patient with giving the company a chance. Unfortunately, the company still did not produce another Rock/Austin, and eventually, those fans left as well, when WWE started positioning their product in appealing to more of a family-oriented audience. That accounted for another 10%-15% of the total fanbase, by my estimations based on the ratings.

Ratings gradually reduced from 6.5's, to 5's, to 4's, and eventually went down to the 3's once WWE started positioning themselves in a new direction with their product. And yes, under this new product, it eventually even began dipping below the 3's. That is nothing to be proud of at all and all of which, points to failure to deliver to the fans what they want, in my opinion.

Vince McMahon himself said when ratings went down on an interview when challenged by the host that "it may be because we aren't giving the fans what they want". So, at least he acknowledges it.

Now, as far as your statement about the "bubble bursting" ... again here is the flow of what I think transpired in why the fans left. One can feel free to debate me on this, but what I base this on is examining the ratings over the years, and what was going on in the company at the time when ratings began to drop.

1) Ratings were achieving in the 6's when WWE was at its peak.

2) Eventually, ECW went out of business, and WWE bought WCW, which eliminated all of WWE's "real competition". Ratings began to eventually fall down to the 5's and high 4's.

3) Rock and Austin left, which gradually saw the WWE audience dwindle from the high 4's to the low 4's and high 3's.

4) WWE began to panic, and felt they needed a new strategy. They abandoned "Attitude Era programming" for "Family-Oriented programming", in an attempt to start building a new audience. This process began in late 2006 to early 2007.

5) Ratings continued to drop, as fans of the Attitude Era did not like the new direction WWE was taking. Ratings fell to the mid and low 3's ... while occasionally dipping down into the 2's.

So, it was the combination of Rock and Austin leaving, WWE not having a strong enough character built to take their place, Vince eliminating all of his competition, and the change in programming that got us to where we are today. The fact of the matter is that ratings were still higher Post-Rock and Post-Austin when Attitude Era TV is still prevalent, as compared to today. Based on my logic, that tells me that the problem is that today's product does not appeal to as many people that it did when it was "Attitude-Era" style programming.

Now, fans who enjoy today's product over the Attitude Era product, can't stand that, because where as they are strongly opinionated and vociferous in their support for "why today's product is supposedly better than that product", they have ZERO evidence that supports their argument on a mainstream basis. So what this is, is essentially a group of mouthy people that don't have a shred of evidence to support their claims, other than their opinions.

Nonetheless, I look at it like this. Even though as I am personally not so much a fan of today's wrestling, as I am Attitude Era programming ... WWE can still produce ratings on the average between the low to mid 3's. That is still significant. And therefore, this fanbase unquestionably deserves it's own programming.

I just think it's a damn shame that it seems like most of today's fans who prefer this programming over Attitude-Era programming aren't respectful back in return, and willing to acknowledge those fans, which were equally as significant in numbers.

Between a combination of casual Attitude Era fans, and newer fans waiting to be targeted ... there are more fans out there. But WWE has to reach out to them, instead of "hoping for the best", like they do today.

Now as far as your comments pertaining to a "wrestling bubble", here are my thoughts. Very similar to the Economy, yes there is a "bubble". However, boom periods don't just happen, in my opinion. Rather, they are created.

WWE created a Boom with Hulk Hogan when the product went mainstream, and Vince formed the Rock n Wrestling connection, giving his business Mainstream Exposure, from where it was at originally in the Territorial Days.

WWE, WCW, and to a much lesser extent, ECW created another Boom period through its competition with one another, and a variety of wrestling products offered. We had an edgy WWE product. We had a family-oriented WCW product, and then we had a very violent, intriguing ECW product, which definitely fit the name of it's promotion .... "Extreme". Each of those audiences of those shows comprised the entire wrestling fanbase, which was much larger back then, then compared to today. I don't think anyone is going to dispute that.

Therefore, now that WWE has eliminated all of its competition, the question remains on whether or not the company should continue in the tradition and reflection of the wrestling industry in putting out multiple wrestling products that each appeal to a variety of audiences.

My very strong opinion on ultimately why the entire wrestling audience primarily dwindled is because Vince eliminated all of those other products and choices. So it is the lack of mainstream choices of different products which ultimately caused the wrestling audience to lose interest, and for WWE to lose so many viewers in the process.

So as far as another Boom period, in my view, one doesn't just come along out of nowhere. A Boom period, rather, needs to be Created. So, with Vince being the only real company of any significant size in town, what is he doing to create another Boom period?

If he viewed his company on a much larger scale, and offered those multiple products like I talked about, then he could potentially CREATE that boom period I am referencing, once again.

Given the state of the economy, however, I wouldn't try anything until it appears that the recession is coming to an end, because otherwise, all those efforts will be for naught. But once that transpires in hopefully 1-3 years, I would get started on this strategy, and actually begin planning for it now, to be prepared. But again, that is just what I would do and those are my opinions on how to increase business. I think Choices are absolutely critical in maximizing your profits. It is a balancing act of how to keep your current fanbase happy, while still going after and targeting new viewers.

Now, for people who question whether or not WWE should be putting out multiple wrestling products, which was a reflection on what wrestling was like during the Boom period, I do have a question. Do you feel that the Boom would have been possible in this day and age without WCW and ECW? Also, do you feel that even the existence of WCW and ECW was a good thing or a bad thing, back then?

The leftovers were fans who started not reacting to stuff that was "toned down" and "not Attitude enough" for their tastes... However, being as it was time to build a new fanbase, (eventually) Vince thought it best to get the content of the shows to a point where shocking stuff would get a response again. The Attitude Era desensitized people, over-exposed the business (Ten chair shots and he's still getting up!! Oh em jee!!), and then the bubble burst. A fun ride, but we shouldn't let us corrupt us forever because eventually it will get to the point that any "normal" content will get no reaction again. No thanks.

I understand the point you are making, however I think different audiences find different things appealing. In other words, where as some fans may find some things shocking, other fans do not.

I'm not saying money wasn't made and that there wasn't an audience for that. But the old guard needs to let it go as those days are gone.

So who decided when it is time to change guards? I don't think the audience was ready for this change. Again, the goal should always be to appeal to the most people possible. What you are endorsing is not the proper way to do so. That is not how it's done in television, and that was not the formula followed in the Boom period.

You can say "those days are gone" until you are red and blue in the face, but something you need to understand is that you aren't going to tell me or others what type of programming I should be finding appealing. That is partly where Vince's frustration comes in, as well, since times are different now.

All of this could be avoided, and WWE would be even more popular if it just had an entirely different vision of their product, and replicating what worked during the Boom period.

I thought I did. :)

I actually don't believe you ever did. Which is the problem I have with many of today's fans, where they only look at things from their own point of view, without acknowledging that there are many other fans out there with many different tastes, which are waiting to be targeted.

Take the original "WWECW" for instance. That show was producing higher ratings then Smackdown when it first began. That should tell you how many people were interested in seeing an alternative to the current WWE programming, and further evidence that supports my theory that choices are needed in this day and age. They were producing in the mid to upper 2's for several months. Today's Smackdown even does in the low 2's and have dipped into the 1's. Yet no red flags seem to go up with you guys or WWE on what the problem is, which I find to be mind-boggling.

Personally, I think you see the same thing, yet turn your head away because of your own programming biases about what you personally find enjoyable, and I just don't think that is the proper way to address the issue. You are essentially turning people's money down, who are willing to spend money on a show, because of your own biases.

Vince's petty grudge and ego in dealing with Paul Heyman brought that brand down. It's sad that even two people that didn't get along like Paul and Stephanie, even saw Stephanie defending Heyman against her father's grudge with him. Here Paul is just trying to do what is best for business to help Vince's company, yet Vince's ego was too big and felt that it was more important to (in his mind) "make an example out of Heyman", as opposed to do the right thing for business. Incredible, if you think about it. And even more reason for it being time for Vince to keep his nose out of Creative.

Seriously Sid, don't speak for me. There is nothing between the lines. Anything I intend to say is being said by me.

My biggest problem with your view is that you don't understand that ALL wrestling is looked at as ONE product. It's not Dexter-type stuff on Mondays and then the family variety hour on Fridays. People see it as wrestling or not, black and white. If one program is too much for the children, all of them are. You are alienating an entire demographic by making one show adult-themed, all to pander to people who simply aren't there anymore. So yes, WWE has to target everyone. They aren't a network or a movie studio that can afford to produce products for different demos individually, because wrestling is looked at as ONE product. It wouldn't work.

I think the days of wrestling being viewed as "one product" ended with the last Wrestling Boom period and the Monday Night Wars. Fans liked the fact that there were choices offered to them, and Vince took those choices away. The result? The Boom ended. So if you want my honest opinion on why wrestling isn't as popular today, it was the direct result of Vince eliminating his competition and ONLY offering one product to the fans.

Like I said, just look at the original "WWECW" and clearly you saw that there was an audience just waiting to be targeted, who Vince essentially flushed down the toilet. Great business strategy.

I stand by the notion and my opinion that it is your and people with your mentality's blindness to the big picture, that don't "get it", because of your own programming biases, and refusing to accept that different people have different tastes. You are attempting to apply an 80's Mentality to today's Business, in only offering a single product to the total potential wrestling audience, and it isn't working anymore. Because as time went on, people became more picky and choosie with what their likes and dislikes are, which the Internet contributed to. WWE, after eliminating its competition, had a real opportunity to step up to the plate and Lead the wrestling industry by carrying on the tradition of offering those multiple products which people found popular, under their Umbrella, with the advantage being that all of the revenues would be theirs this time (instead of being divided between WCW and Paul Heyman), yet again, they dropped the ball. No surprise there.

The reason Cena isn't Hulk, or Austin, or Rock is because the bubble hasn't come back again. It has nothing to do with Cena or the family friendly nature of the show.

Bubbles are created, like has been discussed and shown how in my prior words. Bubbles, don't "just happen".

It is up to them to create a New Bubble. I just don't think they have the vision to pull it off with the current people in power. Vince Russo deserves credit in his role in Creating that bubble back in a time when fans were desperate to see a new product. And to Vince McMahon's credit, he listened to him.

But if you want to see a new Bubble and want to see increased crowds, again ... offering choices and product alternatives is the absolute best thing WWE could do in this day and age, in my view ... instead of unrealistically expecting all age groups to share the same interests and find the same things appealing.

The bubble is a result of competition causing BETTER television to be produced. Not edgier.

Yes and No. Competition is definitely a good thing and helps tremendously. But it was the multiple products offered that created the last bubble (WWE- edgy, WCW-family, ECW-hardcore), in my opinion. I support that opinion because for how many years were WWE and WCW in existence and competed with each other, when there was no boom period. For almost a decade, right?

So, what caused the last boom period? What did those companies do that was different, that caused the boom? It was because each of them went different directions and specifically targeted certain groups of people. WWE became edgy. WCW targeted families and had an extremely "cool gimmick" in the NWO. And ECW targeted a special group of "better educated fans" who treated their wrestling knowledge with great respect, and gave them the respect that they knew that wrestling was a work, and targeted programming to their interests.

Okay, so Orton DDTing Steph and kissing her fits the technical definition of PG... Great. So now I'm supposed to believe that such a thing is not edgy? Maybe PG fits the bill just fine if we can get something like that on the program to please your segment of the audience. ;)

No, you can think it was edgy. But what would have made the segment a Hell of a lot more edgy was if the rating was TV-14 to allow for the suggestion I made on the other forum. That is what I would have personally found to be edgy. Different people find different things edgy. However, what I was proposing wouldn't be appropriate given both the rating, and the way WWE is currently structured today.

However, if that one program (Raw) was more adult-like and appealed to adults, not children, then yes I do think my segment I proposed with Orton fondling an unconscious Stephanie's breasts while Triple H watched on helplessly, would have dropped jaws all across the country, but would have added a level of intensity off the charts for Wrestlemania, which would have stimulated even more interest in this feud. But again, you need to keep in mind that my target audience for a segment like that is not children ... because that segment is unquestionably inappropriate for them. However, they would have programming content that would appeal to them on Smackdown, so therefore, I am not leaving them high and dry.

PS, that over-run lost viewers, didn't it?

That was honestly mind-boggling to me. I truly don't understand how that over-run could have lost viewers. It appears on the surface, one could conclude that the segment perhaps turned off some viewers as it was currently. Which I think is extremely sad if the current WWE audience couldn't stomach a segment like that and are too sensitive to even see something like that. That could also explain why Vince perhaps abandoned ship with the IED angle. I just think that was pathetic, as even most Internet fans I saw were thrilled with the segment.

I just think that leaves even more credence to the notion that there needs to be multiple products (2 or 3) on the wrestling market, so those that are too sensitive to that type of programming have an alternative product to watch, while those that enjoy that stuff can do so.

People are finally shocked again. Re-sensitization complete. :)

I agree in the need for Re-sensitization periods. You and I just disagree with how they should be properly executed. I feel the way to de-sensitize and re-sensitize is by altering the individual products, as opposed to simply altering your one and only universal product, while pissing off millions of viewers in the process, and alienating them, like what Vince did. By altering individual products, and making changes to them individually, you are at least not risking pissing off nearly as many people within your total fanbase, as you are by making major alterations of this nature to your one and only product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back