WWE Extreme Rules: Asylum Match - Dean Ambrose VS Chris Jericho

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
This match was made last night on Raw to round out the final card, the main card that is, for Extreme Rules this Sunday. Sort of a twist on the cage match in that there are weapons hung around the top including the barbed wire wrapped 2x4, a kendo stick, fire extinguisher, nunchaku, etc.

The match has kind of a hokey feel to it when you look at the mop & bucket, the straight jacket, etc. but I think Ambrose & Jericho can pull it off. It should be an entertaining brawl, though I'm not entirely sure how the winner is supposed to win. I'm guessing maybe just flat out pin or submission since Ambrose mentioned that escaping from the cage won't end it. At any rate, this could be a fun little brawl that might even include a few memorable high spots.

It can't be any more underwhelming than Dean's WM match with Lesnar, but it could be equally underwhelming. I haven't watched TNA in years but IIRC this seems similar to a Monsters Ball match.

Problem is they didn't even really let Dean let loose on the biggest stage against a guy who has no problem bleeding, so I have a hard time imagining this match really going beyond the usual modern "hardcore" match. Dan will use the mop, the stick, maybe Barbie, and he'll probably put Jericho in the straight jacket after winning. It could be a fun match, emphasis on COULD. I just don't trust WWE to give us a really intense hardcore style match anymore, not after that nonsense at Mania.

When I was a kid I always wanted a match like this. It must've been that you only want what you can't have type things because I really don't care for it at all now. I want to think this will be a decent enough match purely based on who is in it, but Im not sure I'm going to be impressed with the spots, which is really all this over the top gimmicky match has. Dean Ambrose to win is probably the easiest bet of the year. There is 0 reason why Jericho should go over. The feud itself has pretty much been a yawn fest, to me atleast. Maybe I just gave it too high of a standard. It is a different recipe though so maybe WWE knock it out of the park.

Also I'm probably just being a hater here, but if the Asylum match is going to become a regular thing I hope they change the name, or all I'm going to think of is Ambrose. I'm guessing it becomes Ambrose exclusive though.

I'm feeling this is gonna be another gimmick we talk bad about years down the line, not quite a Dog Kennel from Hell match. The weapons being strung up on the cage doesn't feel like WWE's production value. Jericho can put on a great match, Ambrose can do his Whacky crap, I just don't like the premise of the asylum right now. Hopefully I eat my words, I always love being surprised when a match goes well that I expected negatively.

The match seems silly, but that's how I would describe this feud and Jericho and Ambrose. Hopefully this is the end of this feud and Jericho's current run.

The match seems silly, but that's how I would describe this feud and Jericho and Ambrose. Hopefully this is the end of this feud and Jericho's current run.
I don't think that it would be the end of his run. WWE would surely use Jericho in the Japan tour in June/July where I think that he might face Shinsuke Nakamura.

About the match, I hope that Jericho doesn't get the win and ruin it all as he did in feud with AJ Styles. Ambrose needs the win too much after that awful showing against Brock Lesnar.

In addition of a win, WWE needs to retain Ambrose's credibility too. He can surely be a top babyface but his booking has always showcased him like a sidekick. He is the most badly booked wrestler out of The Shield.

Asylum matches exclusive only for Ambrose can be a good angle.

Ho hum. Another boring Dean Ambrose hardcore match. After Wrestlemania, I don't think having Ambrose in any no rules environment is a good idea. I haven't seen one yet that's been any good.

EDIT: Except for Kevin Owens, that one was pretty good.

With the WWE WHC title picture looking weak, only got AJ as a contender. Owens is tied up with Zayn and Cesaro is tied up with Miz.

Not sure if anybody wants to see Orton vs. Reigns again. Too early for Cena vs. Reigns. Only person I could see facing Reigns upon returning is Rollins. It would suck to see Rollins lose just after returning. I figured Jericho may be the safer bet.

Beat Ambrose. Face Reigns at MITB maybe even Battleground. Reigns goes 2-0 against Jericho then faces Cena at Summerslam.

Ho hum. Another boring Dean Ambrose hardcore match. After Wrestlemania, I don't think having Ambrose in any no rules environment is a good idea. I haven't seen one yet that's been any good.

EDIT: Except for Kevin Owens, that one was pretty good.

Does the Lumberjack match with Rollins meet your standards? If not, sure you'd at least agree that it exceeded expectations.

I'm not sure who wins, but I'm certain I'll enjoy it. A few of you are quick to jump on Ambrose for his outing with Brock. I agree the match disappointed, but there were several factors why that match was a letdown. Dean was only one of them. As Sam once put it to me, the match was missing an entire third act.

Dean also works much better with wrestlers who are similar in size. He's had, hell, a forgettable outing with The Undertaker. But he shines against a Rollins or an Owens. I'm excited to see him and Jericho work together again, and I think they'll overcome a silly gimmick.

I really like the idea of Ambrose having a signature match. Wrestling gimmick matches are all generally variations on a theme. You really only have three archetypes that everything boils down to: locked in a structure, foreign object, or alternate finish.

Foreign object matches consist of chairs, tables, ladders, bull ropes, chains, bats, barbed wire, straight jackets, fire, and many more.

Structure matches consist of any location wrestlers are locked in. Standard cage, Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber, etc. An argument could be made that a cage is really an extension of the foreign object match.

Alternate finish matches are any where the winner is determined by something other than pinfall. This includes but is not limited to escape in a cage match, first blood, victory on a pole, claiming the prize during a ladder match, four corners matches, etc.

There really isn't a whole lot of innovation over the years. Both Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber are just cage matches with an alternate structure and the escape win condition removed. Ladder matches are foreign object matches with an alternate victory condition.

The trick with Ambrose is to give him a match that is uniquely familiar. You don't want it to be too ludicrous as they're not filming a sequel to Ready to Rumble. You want it to look like what people are used to seeing as a wrestling match, but at the same time have a sense of individuality.

I don't think they quite got there with the black cage with and awkwardly hanging ouchy things really cuts it. Sure it's familiar, but it's not nearly unique enough. I want to wait until after the execution of the match before casting full judgement. I don't think it will be Punjabi prison match bad as some people are suggesting based on the underwhelming gimmick.

Personally, I would have brought back the classic blue bars WWF cage. Give that a coat of paint and it would have been a throw back. The bars are evocative of an asylum, more so than a cage. I would have done the weapons differently, perhaps limiting it to straight jackets.

I question the need for this match as Ambrose's win was fairly definitive. Does anyone really think Jericho should win? He could win, but Ambrose ought to be building momentum, not going .500 with Y2J.

The Asylum match is going to need some refinement if it's going to stick around. It needs to be more than Ambrose in a cage match + weapons, but it may wind up being just that. Maybe they'll do something different, but it's doubtful. Old ideas in a new dressing have the potential to be good, but it's not a very exciting or innovative variation on existing ideas.

I don't understand something... Jericho has been in wwe for over 20 years. Doesn't he have any pull backstage on who he feuds with and what the feud is about? I mean I am sure Vince asks Chris for his opinion on the feuds being that Jericho doesn't need wwe and they need him. So either 1) Jericho actually believes that the Ambrose feud as well as the bray Wyatt feud he had in 2014 was actually an entertaining feud or 2) he just doesn't care about how the feud is and is only there for a paycheck.

I don't understand something... Jericho has been in wwe for over 20 years. Doesn't he have any pull backstage on who he feuds with and what the feud is about? I mean I am sure Vince asks Chris for his opinion on the feuds being that Jericho doesn't need wwe and they need him. So either 1) Jericho actually believes that the Ambrose feud as well as the bray Wyatt feud he had in 2014 was actually an entertaining feud or 2) he just doesn't care about how the feud is and is only there for a paycheck.

During a recent interview, Jericho talked about he had a ton of ideas for his feud with Wyatt and went to Vince. Vince pretended he didn't hear him.

As expected. It sucked. When a bag of tacks is the only half decent thing in the match, there's something wrong. The fans gave it about 8 minutes before the boos started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back