Wrestling Observer Newsletter Spoils Potentially *HUGE* WrestleMania Match

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by Jack-Hammer, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

According to Dave Meltzer, the plan is for the Undertaker and John Cena to face off at WrestleMania. John Cena has been teasing a "huge announcement" for the past few weeks and it's believed that the challenge will be issued by Cena as part of Raw's 25th anniversary show in 11 days.

I might be in the minority here, but, as of right now, this just doesn't excite me because it's common knowledge that Taker simply can't go anymore. Also, it really just seems like a couple of part timers going at it with neither of them having anything to gain. Taker's streak is gone and Roman Reigns beat him last year and this is John Cena we're talking about, so the notion that beating Taker at WrestleMania now would be some mega accomplishment for Cena is seven shades of bullshit. Unfortunately though, I have a feeling that's exactly the route they're gonna take with this, that Cena is gonna go with the whole "facing the Undertaker at WrestleMania is the only mountain I haven't climbed" chestnut and it simply doesn't ring true because Taker's status at WrestleMania has diminished and because Cena's a friggin' 16 time World Champion; the proverbial torch has already been passed. So, yet again, instead of using Taker to elevate someone who can still benefit from being in a match against him, we truly have a match in which there's nothing to be gained.

With that being said, I think I could be interested in this depending on exactly how they lay this out at Raw 25. If it's just the whole "mutual respect" garbage, I'm out. Now, if Cena interrupts Taker while Taker is in the midst of giving what looks to be a goodbye speech and swaggers around like he's some cocky bastard like we saw with his program with Roman Reigns, then MAYBE this could be a story worth watching play out.

Still, again, if this is indeed the plan, there are a couple of positives to come out of all this. This means that Cena won't be in the Royal Rumble this year and won't challenge AJ Styles for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania. Yes, they had a fantastic match at last year's Rumble but having guys like Cena or Orton win the Rumble is just a lousy waste of the format; besides, I'm in no mood to see Cena humble Styles just for the sake of another vanity run in which WWE can "unquestionably" crown Cena as the "greatest of all time" due to conquering Ric Flair's official record of 16 World Championship runs instead of merely tying it. So, this leaves the Royal Rumble pretty much wide open for someone on SmackDown to win given that Lesnar vs. Reigns for the Universal Championship is still the plan.

2. The Life Of Pablo Ren

The Life Of Pablo Ren I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

Isn't Cena's major announcement that he's gonna be the host of the Kids Choice Awards again? Not even kidding, last night he said he had a huge announcement to make today... and that's what it ended up being.

I really don't care about the match. But I do care about the spectacle. Taker hasn't been able to go in the ring in almost 5 years now but that hasn't stopped me from wanting Cena/Taker at WrestleMania. I want to see that. I want to see that story.

It does obviously ruin what I thought was a perfect send off last year for Taker but if it's to come back for this? I'm all for it. It's really the only match I'd be okay with him coming back for.

3. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Cena vs Undertaker is a dream match. As Ren said, it's all about the spectacle. Fans loved Hogan vs Andre and the match was shit. The reaction alone watching Cena and Taker share the same ring is worth it.

I'm all for it. I have been waiting for this one since 2010.

Plus there's more to the story. New Orleans is the place the Streak was broken. Why not have Undertaker also retire there? Also, I just can't accept the fact that Taker's last match was with Roman. Flair had (could have) HBK, HBK had Taker, Austin had Rock. Undertaker should have Cena as the final match.

Plus, the Streak 23-2. 23-3 sounds nice, but I'd like it to be 24-2.
    Ever since Undertaker lost to Lesnar, his WM matches were a victory against Wyatt, a victory against Shane McMahon and a loss to Reigns. Inglorious downfall don't you think? Undertaker should beat Cena in his final match in the ultimate comeback story and then retire with his head reaised high.

4. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

Like I said for reports of Sting debuting in WWE, I'll believe it when I see it. It's far beyond any sort of relevance and Taker just can't go anymore. Not to mention, there's literally an article on the main page right now about Cena's "big announcement" being multiple things involving Nickelodeon. One of those being, as previously mentioned, hosting the Kid's Choice Awards for a second straight year.

5. #hamler

#hamler Trending Worldwide.

I have mixed feelings here.

The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak was the biggest attraction of the show. When it died so did a lot of interest I had in seeing The Undertaker perform again. Since, his matches have rapidly declined in quality and it's hard to find a reason for The Undertaker to even appear on the grandest stage. John Cena vs. The Undertaker could've been huge. The entire show could have been built around these megastars. The Streak vs WWE's golden boy? That is a match that actually warrants the $59.99 price tag. Cena v. Taker is indeed a dream match; in 2007.

The fan in me wants The Undertaker to risk his body one more time for a Wrestlemania match. The fan in me wants to see his Wrestlemania entrance one more time. The fan in me wants The Undertaker to have another run at the top of the card. But the fan in me is quite selfish. The Undertaker could've retired ten years ago and still remained a prominent figure in wrestling history. He's legendary. He really has nothing left to prove here. It's especially sad for someone like me who has grown up with The Undertaker plastered all over a sport I watch so heavily. But I don't need to see it and one more match isn't going to make his legacy any better.

Jack-Hammer likes this.
  6. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Right now, i take anything that Dave Meltzer reports with a grain of salt. basically, he doesn'T reports facts but just stuff that somebody told him that might or might not be in the know. So i will believe it when i see it.

On a personal note, i truly wish that this doesn't happen, last year was the perfect way for him to go out and retire, Reigns try to best he could to carry him through the match and make that match at less passable and the last image of him putting his gear into the middle of the ring was one of the best ending of the year for a ppv and the best way to leave. If he goes through with this, he's just tarnishing his legacy at this point because let's face it, while Cena is a really good worker, just like Reigns last year, he's not a miracle worker. He won't be able to carry Undertaker to a great match plus the other thing is, what does it mean really to have undertaker on the card now? He already lose twice and probably will lose a third time if he go through with this match. So what's the point really. Will you have more people buying the network because of this match?

So i really hope that Meltzer is wrong on this one because while this a dream match, it's way too late to do it now and i really don't want to see somebody that can barely walk go through another 30 minutes plus match where he could get injured even worst then he is right now.

7. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

This rumor has been floating for some time now, but I believe this is the first time a legit reporter like Meltzer has taken time to talk about it.

I don't want to see it, for a variety of reasons. Most of all, last year should have left zero doubt that Undertaker just can't go anymore. At 52(3?) this shouldn't be a surprise, but a fair number of fans still put the blame on Roman for last year's match.

The way Undertaker went out at the end of the show last year was very good. It was a touching moment for a lot of us and it felt like a proper send off for a guy that most people regard as old school. There are always going to be people who argue the streak should have never ended, let alone Undertaker go out with two Wrestlemania losses so they want to see him come back and go out on a win. Why? This isn't real sports where the media is going to get a hard dick over an athlete that wins their final game. This is pro wrestling, where going out on a win benefits no one. Like him or not, the win for Roman helped him and was the right call. Well it should have been if WWE would have capitalized on it.

Another reason I don't want to see it is that by resetting Roman's retirement of Undertaker and allowing Cena to get a match, it basically admits that Roman isn't the big deal they want him to be. I like Roman, frustrating booking and all, but you can't push all your chips in on the guy, then have a star from yesteryear, which is what Cena is at this point in his career, upstage him. You also can't just say "well attempt number seven didn't get him over, so lets start over and try again by letting him finally beat Brock."

Lastly, there are people who are going to clamor for this match. We have seen Cena vs. Undertaker before, but mostly those were when Cena was still a rough around the edges heel and Taker was obsessed with respect. We also never got to see it on the Wrestlemania stage. I understand wanting that, but this won't deliver. Cena has evolved into one of the best all around performers ever and truly can put on a good match with just about anyone. he isn't Bret Hart and a broom level good, but he is very solid and has gotten watchable matches out of some notoriously bad workers. *cough* Khali *cough* That said, Roman and John wrestle styles that do overlap a fair bit. A lot of punches and power moves. Undertaker evolved to throw more strikes late in his career, but his style isn't far from those two. It didn't work last year, and I don't see how it could work this year. The promos are going to be super predictable too. Cena is gonna talk about respect and how beating Undertaker at Wrestlemania is the one thing he never accomplished. Undertaker will stare at the Wrestlemania sign and talk about hellfire and brimstone. Then, the result won't matter. Seriously, when was the last time Cena or Undertaker had a program where the result mattered for anything? If Cena wins, he may brag about it in a promo until the next heel of the quarter (cause he isn't around monthly anymore) interrupts him. If Cena loses, they likely won't even address it.

They must be worried about ticket sales again if they are throwing this on the show, because there are zero positives to it happening.

8. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Undertaker hasn't had an enjoyable WM match since Punk and hasn't had an enjoyable WM build since HHH. What is this going to be all about beyond "dream match", "end of an era", and a lot of pointing bullshit?

I want to enjoy Raw and SD, especially the build of each before Mania. One of the most enjoyable parts can be Cena. What does he have to offer here?:

"You're a part timer", "No, you're a part timer", "nah-aah", "uh-huh". And point.

Seriously, Cena has to go so deep in to heeldom here for this to work. He's basically fighting a worn out 53 year old who supposedly retired and few are clamoring for him to come back after recent performances. This isn't Shawn Michaels who went out on top, this isn't even Flair who still left WWE putting on some good performances.

If UT is really coming back he needs to just be a man who is holding on to what made him greatest in life. Get on the mic in street clothes and gray hair and admit that you can't let go and you just want one more rush because if you stop you may never get that feeling again. Tell us that you're not immortal, you're just a man, and a man still needs to fight. I think I can get behind this. I think. He can then go on to stalk and pursue Cena like a psuedo-heel until Cena gives in and grants him the match. Maybe make the match a no holds barred or street fight so that it has a better chance of being entertaining and unpredictable.

I'm not against the idea but on the surface this sounds horrible. A borderline depressing lazy use of talent where the only purpose is a cash grab that may or may not be there.

#hamler likes this.
  9. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

But isnt this all IWC wanted last year?

"Reigns isnt good enough to end Undertaker, give us Cena. Cena is deserving"

WWE gives them Cena

"Cena isnt good enough, he cant be elevated from Undertakers win, give us someone younger."

Not saying it would happen, even Vince knows Undertaker is far fetched for some good in ring action and its likely more HoF announcement. But this would be huge Wrestlemania match to have and if Undertaker can go for one more they would probably try to capitalize on that because $$$$. Cena did mentioned in promo with Reigns how he just defeated 50 year old man with broken hip so seeds are there. Though again still think on that just as a diss and not credible proof that something is gona happen. Would be interesting to see RAW 25.

Khalifa likes this.
  10. Mitch Henessey

Mitch Henessey Deploy the cow-catcher......
    Staff Member Moderator

I just don't want to see Taker wrestle anymore.

Father Time finally caught up with him, and it's clear he just can't go anymore. Four or five years ago, Taker VS Cena would've been something to get excited about. Now? Not so much. The days of Taker being a lock to deliver a good or great match at Wrestlemania are long gone, and Taker has two losses at Mania now, so you can't play up the invincibility of The Dead Man.

I also don't see what this does for Cena. I'm past the point of believing a heel turn will happen, and it'll be a counterproductive move, because fans have wanted a more edgy and in-your-face version of Cena for years. And Cena slowly making the transition to part-timer status over the past couple of years is no secret, so there's a good chance he won't be around to continue a sustained storyline for beating Taker.

Cena breaking Flair's record is something to look forward to, but a match with Taker is not enough to blow my skirt up, because it's clear Taker's age is a factor now.

11. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Why does Taker need a match? They can essentially get the same effect from him just showing up and hitting a tombstone, pose, lightning, etc. Let's just throw him in the rumble and tease a win, have him randomly pop up at shows to keep people on their toes in a "Ghost of Mania" type thing and at Mania have him play right hand of justice to somebody pulling off a dirty win. The win/loss for him no longer matters, torches and all that have become less than what could have been. So why not just eliminate that meaning & just get to the point of what we want to see. Somebody like Owens or whoever cheats and Taker meets them at the ramp for a beatdown. Let's not pretend anyone vs Taker in a match will be good. He cant go anymore and its not worth someone getting hurt.

John could be used elsewhere, Taker can still go out w a bang & the world will be better off. Even if Sting is up for one more, that still isnt a good idea. The match will suck and we will all be told to praise it as gold. Why kid ourselves. They can have a better impact in a staredown/mini brawl or segment than both limping through a match 10 years past its time.

Gong. Tombstone. Pose. Lightning. #WeDontNeedAMatch

#hamler likes this.
  12. Kidpolean

Kidpolean Championship Contender

This thread reminds me of why the IWC is so hated. This is the only place where you will find people that dont want to see Taker vs Cena. This is why WWE tries to ignore us!

Id love to see this match and so would like 99% of WWE fans. This is probably the biggest match WWE could put on this year.

Honestly, as long as I get Styles vs Nakamura, I dont care about the rest of the card. Mania has been terrible for years now. Just give me one match that I actually want to see this year....please!

Khalifa likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Pre-Show Stalwart

Cena and Taker have faced each other before early in Cena's WWE career and even a singles PPV match at Vengeance 2003 and possibly more that I cannot recall. If Taker cannot deliver a match to his expectations then he shouldn't do it. If he feels he can, then more power to him. According to some people like Bruce Prichard who have seen and talked to him they said he looks good and said he feels the best he has in years.

If the match is going to happen though I would love to see the American Badass Taker return for one more time. It would be fitting with the way they sort of retired the Undertaker gimmick in the ring last Mania.

14. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

I remember kind of coming under fire for saying that I didn't think Taker's career was over on the Mania LD last year, and although nothing is set in stone, I still stand by my assumption that Taker will wrestle again. There was just something about his exit that left me with some doubt as to whether he was really done, and as time has gone on, that doubt has turned to almost certainty in my opinion that Taker will have one last match. And this time they'll market it as his retirement match which will end the discussion once and for all.

If he does go on to face Cena at Mania, I actually see Taker winning to end his career. Going out on your back against Roman Reigns is one thing, but there's very little that would be accomplished by Cena ending Taker's career. Also, Cena just seems like the type of guy who would have absolutely no problem losing to The Undertaker so he can have his last Mania moment. I wouldn't mind seeing this just for the sheer spectacle of it. Yeah, it's probably 5 years too late to have any serious impact on things, but at least we don't have to bitch about, and rightfully so, never seeing a Taker and Cena program that didn't include Cena playing Vanilla Ice lite.

15. Wolf Pac

Wolf Pac Mid-Card Championship Winner

Don't really care if he can't go like he used to. Even if he has to compete in a wheelchair, I'd still pay to see him in a ring again just for the spectacle.

That being said, I want to see him face Sting or Goldberg. I don't mind him facing Cena but it's never been a dream match or as must see to me as Taker vs. Sting or Taker vs. Goldberg. Taker vs. Sting or Goldberg is a dream match I've wanted to see since the Monday Night Wars. It's a shame we're never gonna get them and we had to see Taker vs. Roman and possibly Cena instead.

16. HORRORHOLIC

HORRORHOLIC Pre-Show Stalwart

I don't really care to see him against Cena at this point. A few years ago before the streak was over, sure. The only way this would really seem like a big deal to me is if it was heavily promoted as Undertakers last match. And not, if he loses he retires. I would wanna know this is the last time he's walking down the isle, the last time we're gonna see this spectacle etc... Even then I would rather it be with someone other than Cena.

17. shooter_mcgavin

shooter_mcgavin Mid-Card Championship Winner

I mean even if the Dave's sources are in the know we all know that Vince likes to change his mind at the last minuite. That said I think Dave does do a good job reporting the big picture WWE plans he seems to be right about Reigns vs Lesnar headlining this year's WM and Batista winning the Rumble.

As for Cena vs. Undertaker I don't see the appeal. Undertaker just doesn't have it anymore and you can watch WM33 as proof of that and Cena seems to play it safe in his in ring work. I mean the latter isn't a bad thing but you can see doing less and less in the ring and I think it's due to Cena not wanting to get hurt because of his Hollywood commitments.

If Cena is willing to give it his all for his Mania match I'd rather see him challenge AJ Styles for the title. Both Styles and Reigns can go over Cena and Brock repsectivley and that should signal somewhat of a passing of the torch.

18. HORRORHOLIC

HORRORHOLIC Pre-Show Stalwart

I'm pretty sure anyone who's even just a casual fan could have predicted both of these. Dave is right a lot of the time, but he's been wrong a lot too.

19. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Fuck all you guys, this is going to be fucking brilliant!

Hey, I'll be first to admit that last year's match against Reigns was cringe worthy to watch. That spot when they tried to reverse the Tombstone was beyond horrible to witness. And I'll freely admit that father time has caught up with Taker in the last couple of years.

But I have absolutely zero doubt that between two absolute fucking WWE legends, a good match can be had. GSB is right, this needs to be different from what has gone before. It can't be the dead man coasting to the ring and getting challenged, only for him to fuck off for 3 months again. This needs to an actual plot to the angle and I'm sure that we'll be given that.

We know that Taker can't do the complex spots now so just make it a damn no DQ match and have these two beat the shit out of each other for 25 minutes - I'd be happy with that. This still represents a dream match for me, between two WWE legends who deserve to have this match. And the final result will be anyone's guess.

Good call, WWE.

Khalifa likes this.
  20. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

I'll watch it and probably enjoy it but I honestly don't care anymore.

5-10 years ago I would have been fangirling like crazy for this match but now that 'Taker I'd in his 50s and in no condition to wrestle and Cena is part time it's a meh deal for me.

I'm sure Cena can carry 'Taker to a passable match but that's all it is at this point.

Prove me wrong WWE, I want to be amazed by the build-up and the match itself

21. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

I could be wrong, but with the speech and the way he looked last night, it sure seems like undertaker as truly retired from in ring competition. Sure thing could change after the rumble but I sure hope that it doesn't because the way he looked last night, I feel that even somebody like hulk Hogan could beat him as he was overweight and could barely walk to the ring.

22. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

I thought Undertaker meant that it's time for him to rest in peace, but his promo didn't really make any damn sense to be honest.

23. MasterDebator

MasterDebator Pre-Show Stalwart

It sounded very much like a retirement speech, but the way Jim Ross tagged it, by asking if it was some kind of warning, did complicate my understanding of the promo. I wonder if they asked JR to deliberately confuse the audience with that narration in order to fuel speculation that Taker could still return, though teasing it w. no pay-off feels counterproductive.

Bernkastel likes this.
  24. Psykohurricane55

Staff Member Moderator

I Feel this was just J.R being J.R and trying to milk this for what it was worth. I feel like J.R. isn't the same guy as he once was and tend to call stuff on the fly without clearing them with Vince. Kinda like what Booker t does on a regular base. So I wouldn't read too much into it especially since the way taker looked, I doubt he would even be able to get ready in time for a mania match. The guy was so out of shape that I looked winded just walking to the ring.

25. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Taker looked A LOT leaner and smaller than usual. I don't really know though. I don't think he likes how things ended with Roman. He's a guy that has always had a certain idea about himself and his character, as well as the bussiness in general. The crowd was off and the match sucked, so I don't know if Taker wants that to be his last match.