Wrestlezone Debater's League 2010: Rules and Regulations

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
WELCOME TO THE 2010 DEBATER'S LEAGUE!!!

22 Wrestlezone members square off in a battle to determine who is the best debater on the forum. Over the next 12 weeks, each participant will be split into two teams, matched up each week with a member of the opposing team, and will be given a topic to debate against their opponents. Topics will be presented to the contestants from a wide array of wrestling corners. Each contestant should be skilled in international, independent, old school, and general wrestling knowledge of all time periods. Otherwise, get ready to do some research.

The Debaters

The 22 debaters will be split into two conferences. The conferences are labeled as Omega and Alpha. Over the first 10 weeks, the debaters will face members of their own conference and be scored by our team of judges. After the regular season, the top debaters from each conference will then compete in a playoffs system, and the winning members will become the representatives of Alpha and Omega in the finals. The winner will then be crowned and be given at least one thread of celebration in the Cage or GSD.

The Judges

Phoenix and I have selected a group of well-qualified judges to assess each debate fairly and carefully. They have expertise in different fields of pro-wrestling knowledge and are as impartial as they come. We want these debates to be as fair as possible and will strictly enforce this rule for the duration of the tournament.

Also, instead of having 5 judges like we did last year, Phoenix and I chose to go with only four. This will speed up the judging process tremendously and create less points and less confusion.

Judge #1: Phoenix
If there's anyone that knows debating, it's this guy. He was my greatest challenge last year and was a runner-up for the title (along with IrishCanadian25). This guy knows what he's looking for in terms of judging and will give it to you straight and fair.

Judge #2: Tdigle (poonpoon69)
The man, the myth, the legend, and (most importantly) the Movies and Television mod has given us his time and returns for his second year in a row as a judge. He is, quite possibly, one of the most knowledgeable posters on this site on the subject of Japanese and overseas pro-wrestling.

Judge #3: CH David
Another return-judge from last year. CH D is primarily a sports fanatic, but his knowledge of pro-wrestling is vast. He filled in as a judge about halfway through the season last year and did an impeccable job.

Judge #4" Jeffue's STILL a Cunt (Becker)
A last minute addition for our fourth and final judge. He is another experienced, returning judge from last year's ground-breaking tournament. A well-versed judge with wide knowledge, Becker has seen the rise and fall of WCW, knows about ECW and saw the rise of the WWE and TNA. You're all in good hands with this one.

These men will be judging your fate in this tournament. Feel free to incessantly kiss their asses in the forum, but they will not take bribes, they will not be biased, and they will pick the WrestleZone Debater’s Champion.

The Debates

You will be given the topics on the Sunday of each debate week. Debates have been designed for you to argue a “this or that” topic. The home side gets to decide which side of the debate they will take and they also get to decide who goes first in the debate. After these choices are made, the first post of the debate must be posted within the first 24 hours, otherwise it will affect the starter's Punctuality portion of the judging. Debaters have 24 hours to respond to their opponent's post and the faster the response, the better chance you have to score higher point totals.

Each judge will give you a score out of 5. Therefore, you can receive 20 possible points in each debate.

Clarity of debate - 1 point
Punctuality - 1 point
Informative - 1 point
Persuasion - 2 points
Rules

Weekly debates might also end up in ties. In the case of a weekly tie, a tie-breaking judge will need to step in to make the final decision. Who is qualified for such a task? The D-Man, of course ;)

All WrestleZone rules are enforced here. Flaming will not be accepted in the debates, but passion will. Keep it clean, people. Also, this is a non spam zone, so do not spam otherwise you WILL be infracted.

Rules are subject to change and can be updated as the season progresses. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them in here.

Good Luck to everyone!
D-Man

I have a question, D-Man.

I know that there is a lot of work for our four judges to go through, so I don't want to sound like I'm nagging or anything. Is there a timetable for about how long to expect of judging results each week, or is it just going by when these guys can get the time to do it properly?

Since the judges are volunteering and receive nothing in return for their work, we have not put any pressure on them to judge the debates. After all, it takes a lot of their time and they were kind enough to do it for us all.

That's what I thought, just wanted to ask. I'd rather they have the time to do things than feel rushed or pressured to. Many thanks to them, yourself, and Phoenix for all the hard work.

I was wondering; I might be sadly and pathetically outclassed by the likes of Ye. But is there a way for a guy like me to join these debates, they seem interesting and fun to debate and they aren't about topics that old. You guys can even try to do a pop quiz about pro wrestling if you like. Oh and I'm a 2nd year University student studying Logic. That oughta help with debates. For example, "2nd year University student studying logic"--Appeal to Authority.

The Debate League is reaching its finals and will be over for the year very soon. However, we try to keep the trend going every year. It will start around June or July during the upcoming year. If you're still around then, you'll have plenty of chances to sign up.

Next time, please direct your questions to the proper thread. Use the "Ask a Staff Member a Question" forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back