Wrestlemania XXXIV - John Cena VS Undertaker?

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by George Steele's Barber, Mar 20, 2018.

1. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

Seems pretty inevitable at this point. They have put far too much effort in to it for it not to happen.

I'm not terribly excited. UT has looked pretty awful the past few years. I would rather see a character change than another mystic entrance.

What really has me rolling my eyes are Cena's promos. I was more excited about him sitting in the crowd, it made more sense. The promos against Taker are pretty nonsensical. He's calling an emotionless geriatric a coward. What's the point? Is anyone buying this? Cena is coming off like an idiot.

Someone explain this to me.

2. Ceen

Ceen Occasional Pre-Show

Wasn’t Taker Old-School and put over an uncoming talent? (even that talent is Roman)
    Taker could life a enjoyable life, keeping himself in shape. Doesn’t need to train just for a match.
    John should look after an other opponent...

3. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

In reality I think we're going to see it, but it'll be American Badass Taker... the real clue is Kid Rock being inducted...so he'll be at Mania anyway to do the live version of the theme etc...

Does Taker even need to show up before Mania really? At this point, all they need to do is have Cena say he will be at Mania waiting...and if Taker doesn't show, he'll take the forfeit win... pure heel, but he's gonna be the heel in this match either way now... wait till the night and Kid Rock appears on the stage and raps American Badass as Taker rides to the ring.

4. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

RAW in general has been lacking in the fun category, and this angle isn't helping for me.

I hate John Cena for a lot of reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is that he really can't figure out what he's supposed to be. He's the guy who goes out and grants wishes for Make-A-Wish and brings out a "Never Give Up" towel, he's the mid-2000s version of a top face. But then his opponents pretty much have to sit and spin while John assassinates their character in his promos. It can be debated if his opponents who lost their spot had anything to do with John tearing them down, but it became John's thing.

I'm part of a generation that remembers when, if a wrestler goes heel, they go full heel. They don't pretend to be a good person behind the scenes and bask in adoration for doing so. Everything that John is doing in regard to this match is what a heel would do, and I don't think that John or Vince realize that.

John failed in every way to get a match at WrestleMania, so he figures that he can challenge the Undertaker and thus be in a match. So... John only respects The Undertaker in that he's a cheap way to get a match at WrestleMania. I know that prior to the match at Fastlane, John was talking up challenging The Undertaker, but even then it obviously wasn't his top priority. He failed to win the title shot at Elimination Chamber, and he failed to win the belt at Fastlane, so... fuck it he'll just challenge The Undertaker and get a match that way.

John mocked The Undertaker for feeling "ashamed and embarrassed because of what people will say about him", which is a pretty fucked up assumption on John's part. The only source I've been able to find that suggests that The Undertaker is embarrassed for anything is kayfabenews.com. It would have been more meaningful if The Undertaker ever actually expressed any of these feelings in interviews, but so far we only have John Cena's ability to perceive how The Undertaker is doing.

I think that it's foolish to do a show where John calls out The Undertaker, and Kane comes out. At the very least, validate John's time by having some kind of sign that The Undertaker recognizes that he's being called out. For all we know, The Undertaker is living it up on a Carnival cruise and really doesn't give a flying fuck if John or the crowd in Dallas felt gipped. Kane is neat, but he's no Undertaker. I don't see Kane coming out as any kind of an answer regarding John's challenge, it seems more likely that he was just mad at John and had no idea how The Undertaker intended to respond.

I think that the WWE is thinking "We have always had The Undertaker spook potential opponents, why not have someone spook him?" John Cena vs The Undertaker doesn't excite me, and that promo didn't excite me. John's going to spend the entire time trying to make sure that The Undertaker doesn't die, and the match itself will likely not involve anything beyond seeing these guys do each other's moves to each other until eventually John gets a win over The Undertaker as penance for laying down for Strowman at Elimination Chamber.

5. Greg4WWE

Greg4WWE Pre-Show Stalwart

Pretty sure Cena is just doing what he is told to do guys.

Of course he will be the "heel" against UT, who isn't? Even Shawn Michaels was "heel" against Taker.

6. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

This angle has been lazy.. Undertaker couldn't even say a yes or a no? They totally run Undertaker to the ground. Taker would never hide behind the shadows. He should have been on RAW this past Monday. They ARE making him seem like a coward with no balls.

So why is Cena challenging Undertaker? Because is a dream match that fans want to see? Wow. Nice story. Undertaker comes off as a coward and Cena comes off as an annoying guy that because he didn't get anything at Wrestlemania, he gets Taker..

So Undertaker was Cena's 4th choice. The Rumble, EC and FastLane were all higher in Cena's list, but he just happened to remember about Undertaker. The story is stupid really.

He should have challenged Undertaker at RAW 25, Undertaker says no.. THEN Cena goes on to his journey.. and after Cena fails in everything, Undertaker returns to challenge him.

7. TDFG

TDFG Championship Contender

I like the idea of The American Badass coming back, the way The Undertaker left last WrestleMania was a fitting end to his career and I personally don't want to see him wrestle again, however, if this is to be Undertaker's last match then it has to be as The Phenom.

As for the match, I think The Undertaker wins, it gives The Phenom the send off he deserves with a victory against the biggest name in WWE for the last lot of years.

For Cena, it can be played as a terrible start to 2018, Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, WrestleMania defeats, Cena takes a couple of months off and goes and does whatever outside work he's got planned an keeps him off TV.

In the long run it's a build to this Cena comeback that leads to him becoming Number 1 contender for the World Title at WrestleMania XXXV, I think we're looking at a Reigns v Cena main-event, Reigns as Champ with Cena's career on the line in pursuit of that magical World Title bid to overtake Ric Flair.

So, Undertaker wins at WM XXXIV and retires.
    Cena loses but gets his ultimate celebration at WM XXXV.

8. sMark

sMark Getting Noticed By Management

Cena wants the man behind the gimmick, the man who will make John Cena famous...

9. HORRORHOLIC

HORRORHOLIC Pre-Show Stalwart

I really, really don't wanna see him as The American Bad Ass again, ESPECIALLY if it's his last match. But with Kid Rock being there and Undertaker not making an appearance yet I'm worried that's what's gonna happen.

10. HORRORHOLIC

HORRORHOLIC Pre-Show Stalwart

That's already been done. The Deadman vs Cena has not, so it really can be considered a "dream match"

11. jachba

jachba Dark Match Jobber

The way that that this feud has been booked, with Cena questioning Taker's character and calling him a coward makes the return of the American Badass/Big Evil the only logical response. It would look pretty silly for the Deadman to come out and do the usual schtick after Cena cut almost shoot-type promos challenging Taker.

12. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

I like that they are stretching this out but nothing beyond that. Felt like more of the same from Cena last night to close the show. I still just have no idea why Cena, I, or anyone expects the UT to have to answer Cena's request.

Hopefully we get a good payoff next week.

13. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

It's possible they have relegated UT's appearances to literally showing up at WM, wrestling, and not being seen again until maybe the next WM. I wouldn't be surprised to get nothing but a gong next week.

14. Radical

Radical Championship Contender

This feud attempt is AT least 3 or 4 years too late.

Before Taker lost to Lesnar, I would have been interested in seeing Cena v Undertaker at WrestleMania.

Now, I'm kind of laughing that people are still interested in seeing it.

I'm sorry, but it's like any people who would want to see Cena v Hogan or one more Stone Cold match vs CM Punk (back when Punk was running around WWE). It's just a nice fantasy match-up, but in reality it's past its time.

Fantasy match-ups are great to do in your favorite WWE video game. Go do Cena vs Hogan, Stone Cold vs CM Punk, Sting vs Undertaker, etc. Once in a while you might be lucky enough to make a fantasy match actually work out in reality.

Yes, it was amazing The Rock v Hogan at WM did work out, and yes a Goldberg vs Lesnar match at WM (version 2) did work out when it seemed highly unlikely. But it's rare, and it should be.

Would have been more interesting if Cena just continued with his "I failed to make it to WrestleMania" message and follow it up with "But I'm determined to make my mark on WrestleMania still!" and then it becomes a bit of a mystery as to what he is going to do.

If they did that, then there are a few much more interestingg options for Cena heading into WM:

- He could now have been added to Daniel Bryan vs Owens/Zayn if he wasn't chasing this Undertaker thing

- He could go into WM without any fans knowing where he is going to show up and have him interfere in say Roman Reigns v Lesnar match and HELP Roman Reigns who BOTH turn hardcore heel!

- He could be Strowman's partner for the Tag Team Title match

- He could enter himself in the Andre Battle Royale

Because, let's face it, Cena is not selling WM this year. I'm not sure who is, but the fact that the Cena v (anyone) match isn't set yet means clearly WWE even know they aren't relying on a Cena match to sell WM.

So I am disappointed with WWE going down this Undertaker route and wasting TV time with Cena challenging Undertaker.

If the match happens, well so be it. There is always a few matches at WM that don't need to be there but are there anyway.

Let the poor old man who has given more than enough to the business retire already!

enviousdominous likes this.
  15. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

I also dont get the build up. OK, you dont have Wrestlemania opponent so you are daring Taker, one of the greatest Wrestlemania opponents you can get. But just last year, few months ago, you taunted Reigns because he won against "old man with broken hip". So you want to win against somebody you basically called "old broken grandpa"? What does that say about you? But hey, we all know that by WWE logic you are not suppose to remember that and that its perfectly fine that your no1 face cuts "heelish" promos taunting Taker just because he is crying manchild and wants to have a big Wrestlemania match. That does have sense in WWE logic indeed.

Dunno, it would be much better if Taker did show. You have John trying so hard for Wrestlemania match RAW or Smackdown related. Just have Taker interrupting one of those and cost Cena a match. Have Taker next night explain how he seat at his home watching Cena promo few months ago and how he got mad that Cena called him "old man with broken hip". And how now that old man is gona make one more Wrestlemania appearance to "bury one more soul" or whatever. Voila, there is your build up and its much better then "Muah, muah, I dont have a match, I want Taker".

16. thebarber

thebarber Mid-Card Championship Winner

Terrible story being told, probably as Taker himself hadn't committed to a match for most of the build. Worst case Cena can tag with Bryan if Taker isn't coming

17. wrestlingmasters55

wrestlingmasters55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My comment might be outdated by tomorrow morning but I just thought of something.

Do we really need to have a match between cena and undertaker at mania?

You could easily just do a segment between the 2 of them at mania and i feel fans would be satisfied by it.

Here what I thought you could do with this, tonight on raw, cena calls out undertaker again, still no response. Then you have cena say it that he will be at mania as a fan, an if undertaker as any balls, comes meet him at mania

Then at mania, have cena do a promo inside the ring, pretty much like he did for the last month, but this time, the lights goes out, then you hear the gong followed by the American bad ass theme and taker comes out on his bike comes in the ring, they have a street fight type segment which end in taker hitting the last ride and tombstone on cena, then the music hits and taker leave on his bike, stop at the entrance, raise is fist up in the air and that's the end of the segment.

I feel fans in attendance would go wild for the entrance along and will be hot for the full fight segment that follow. By doing this as a segment instead of a full match, you keep the retirement of taker intact will still having him involve in something at mania plus it's easier for wwe to cover his weakness by doing a short segment with Cena instead of a full match.

At this point, mania doesn't need this match to sell the show since all the other big attraction like Ronda rousey first match and Daniel Bryan's returned did that for them, so this would save time and taker's health at the same time while giving a special segment for the fans.

18. Logisticalbooker86

Logisticalbooker86 Pre-Show Stalwart

RE the post directly above mine -

The match is happening. An in-ring segment after all Cena has said would be pointless. At least half the crowd won't care how many steps Undertaker has lost, this match is about having two legends face off.

The only question now is, since Cena has made the matter personal, will it be career vs career? I'd be a little surprised if such a big stipulation was added at the last minute but it would add some more intrigue (whether it is needed or not). Considering Undertaker is going to win, probably not.

19. Spidey

Spidey Should've Reinstated The Fox
    E-Fed Mod

I don't mean to sound snarky; this is a legit question I'm asking. Why on earth are fans clamoring for the American Bad Ass Biker Taker? That's easily the dullest of gimmicks Undertaker has gone with. Besides a change in wardrobe, he rides a bike around the ring and says "It's My Yard". That's it. No mythology. No psychological warfare. No special little bells and whistles to give us a real Wrestlemania spectacle. Just Vroom Vroom mic cliche vroom vroom. The years he spent wearing a bandana and sunglasses (all 2 or so years) were definitely the low points of his career. And if Kid Rock plays him out, then part of me dies next Sunday. Forget retirement.

Not to mention John Cena doing everything in his power to make this fight look weak. Sure, I get that regardless who steps into the ring with Undertaker, his opponents will get booed. You'd think the John Cena character would be used to that polarity by now, but no. He's run the gamut of what it takes to be a heel without outright jumping Undertaker. He has come off as a whiny, self-centered, vindictive asshole who picks on old people who are obviously not fit for the ring anymore. I can get behind Cena going dark. I welcome that change of pace. But even little children know this side of him isn't going to last, he will leave and come back now and then as a part time hero. Truly an infuriating narrative here.

Naturally I will see it since I'm watching Wrestlemania, and there's a part of me that will be happy to see Undertaker do anything from tonight onwards because he was a big reason why I became a fan in the first place, but this story flat out sucks.

20. wrestlingmasters55

wrestlingmasters55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At less, if they are dead set of doing this match, i would like them to wait until mania for taker to make his first apparence since the raw 25 show. Tonight, you can actually get by with just having taker accept Cena's challenge through special effects and pre recorded promo's. Keep the fans guessing which version of taker we will get at mania.

Then at mania, don't go with the 35 to 40 minutes format they tend to do with taker for the past ten years. Give them 20 minutes max and either make it a no holds barred match or keep the match simple so that taker isn't expose like he was last year because Cena is the same type of worker that Reigns is and won't be able to cover up everything that Taker isn't able to do anymore.

I'm all for the match because it's a attraction match and that's what mania is all about but since they waited so long to bring taker back in front of the camera, i feel like they can actually wait until sunday to make him physically return and whatever version he decide to use for his return, he's going to get the biggest reaction of the night if they wait until mania for his return.

21. #hamler

#hamler Trending Worldwide.

Not to trash Roman or anything but Cena is light years ahead of Roman in the ring. Cena has been carrying guys for years while Roman has yet figured out how to do just that. Cena is a veteran and can play a crowd better than any wrestler not named Hogan, Austin or Rock can do. That covers up the Undertaker's weaknesses. Roman fell a bit flat in that department.

22. Logisticalbooker86

Logisticalbooker86 Pre-Show Stalwart

After last night, I am a little put off by the logic of this "feud". I understand it to a point, Kid Rock is going to play the ABA to the ring and he will beat Cena 1-2-3 (I assume). Still, will he just appear at WrestleMania and declare the match with Cena to be his last ride? In terms of kayfabe, it DOES make you look a little egotistical if you do not answer after being called out so many times.

The disappointment in the crowd last night was palpable and I don't think it was in a good way. Even though WrestleMania always draws an enthusiastic and large crowd, how many people are going to lose their minds over a 16-year old song and a relatively short-lived gimmick?

Maybe I'm being negative, but this storyline has been a little too work-shoot for me since it began. As a loyal WWE/Taker fan, I hope it pays off the way WWE is betting it will.

My best guess is Cena comes over the barricade and runs his month in a last ditch effort to draw taker out. Gong, lights go out, and Undertaker's attire appears in the ring like the end of Mania last year. Cue Kid Rock, Undertaker. Taker beats Cena in the last match of the show and then cuts a promo about it being his last ride. Formulaic thank you Taker chants as show goes off the air.

23. FromGlasgow

FromGlasgow Championship Contender

Its potentially the biggest match at this years Wrestlemania so I find it messed up that they haven't confirmed or denied the match taking place by now with less than 5 days to go, I really don't know if this is some weird idea of a build up or their waiting to see how Undertaker's health is to compete, I'm guessing the match most likely will take place but in purchasing the network on the idea of seeing Taker compete one more time I really wont be happy if he doesn't.