Wrestlemania XXXIII: WWE Universal Championship - Goldberg (c) VS Brock Lesnar

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Well it's official as Goldberg will defend the Universal Championship against Brock Lesnar. Unless they've been deliberately keeping Goldberg from wrestling long matches to make his bout at WrestleMania feel more special, then this will be the lamest World Championship match in the history of WrestleMania. I have absolutely ZERO interest in this match because, in my opinion, the fans are the losers no matter who walks out with the belt. After all, no matter who wins, it'll most likely be months before we see the Universal Championship defended again. I'm just over, completely, 100% burned out with lazy mercenaries who can't wrestle have such plum spots in the biggest show of the year and receive such astounding booking because of who they were 15 to 20 years ago. I was actually kinda put off by the Chicago crowd at Raw because this is exactly the sort of thing that their boy, CM Punk, was raging against, yet here they were cheering for them, guess it shows just how fickle even hardcore smarks are today.

Lesnar almost certainly wins and we all pretty much know where it's probably heading, possibly for SummerSlam: a collision with Roman Reigns in which Reigns becomes the young stud who slays the beast.

The only thing I'm interested in with this match is to see if the crowd reaction could possibly be worse than Wrestlemania 20.

Goldberg showed up in Chicago last night and got CM Punk chants for his trouble. Some fans can't be happy that he and Lesnar will be feuding for the top title on the flagship show. Now to give Lesnar his due, he has shown up a lot more often this year, but the only issue is that he's spent almost the entire year feuding with Goldberg and Goldberg alone.

He's pretty much gone through the rest of the roster so who is there for him to feud with after he wins it? Unless the WWE has a swerve in mind, not looking forward to the year after Mania, we've already been through this before.

This is not a match I'm interested in at all. The match at Survivor Series was a squash and nothing I've seen since then has impressed me much out of this pairing. Hoping this or the Reigns match doesn't go last. I don't think I can take another year of seeing Lesnar with the belt or Reigns being the last one standing. Don't think I'm alone in that either.

The old school fan in me is excited about this match, not because of how great the match will be because we all know that this match won't be a technical masterpiece, but I'm always been a fan of those big spectical type of matches at mania. Hogan/warrior, warrior/savage, hogan/rock, rock/cena just to name a few and this is really one of those big spectical type of match which is what mania is all about.

WWE is in a rebuilding stage right now and are slowly trying to create new mega superstars to replace those current part timers. The main problem is that with today's current landscape, it's really hard to please everyone because guys that some groups of fans will like won't connect with another group of fans. So your stuck with part timers like goldberg and lesnar that are connecting with pretty much everybody.

So this match is the biggest match they have on this year mania card and while it seem like a lot of us that comment on the internet are not really happy about this, from the fan reaction that this feud has been getting as of now, I think that they will get the biggest pop of the entire show and will make mania look like the big show that it's supposed to be and at the same time help the perception that the universal title is the biggest title on the raw roster because no offense to balor and owens, but they didn't make anything to make you feel that the universal title is an world title

I hope these guys actually give a shit and come in with the mindset that they're going to make people forget the debacle that was Mania 20. The only real interest I have in this match is how they're going to go about putting on a performance that lasts more than 5 minutes. I'm honestly not too put off about this because I'm thinking it will get max 10 minutes, which is fine. If I had any faith in Raw's booking team, I wouldn't even mind the fact that the title is probably going to be off TV for months on end, but I fear for the quality of Raw without the Universal strap there.

In regards to the actual match, I think there's going to be some sort of No Holds Barred stip added, which is exactly what should happen. This is the time to give the fans a show and the fans don't want to see a 30 second squash. It was cool the first time, but now I want to see these two destroy each other. Also, this would have been a lot more exciting if this was their first match together after Goldberg's return.

The old school fan in me is excited about this match, not because of how great the match will be because we all know that this match won't be a technical masterpiece, but I'm always been a fan of those big spectical type of matches at mania. Hogan/warrior, warrior/savage, hogan/rock, rock/cena just to name a few and this is really one of those big spectical type of match which is what mania is all about.

WWE is in a rebuilding stage right now and are slowly trying to create new mega superstars to replace those current part timers. The main problem is that with today's current landscape, it's really hard to please everyone because guys that some groups of fans will like won't connect with another group of fans. So your stuck with part timers like goldberg and lesnar that are connecting with pretty much everybody.

So this match is the biggest match they have on this year mania card and while it seem like a lot of us that comment on the internet are not really happy about this, from the fan reaction that this feud has been getting as of now, I think that they will get the biggest pop of the entire show and will make mania look like the big show that it's supposed to be and at the same time help the perception that the universal title is the biggest title on the raw roster because no offense to balor and owens, but they didn't make anything to make you feel that the universal title is an world title
Really? Finn Balor was unfortunately injured in the title match itself so he had to relinquish it the next night. Owens as well as Jericho tried a lot to make Universal Championship feel like World Championship. But did the booking favour them? Kevin Owens as Universal Champion was being pinned multiple times by Roman Reigns when he was the United States Champion.
The midcard champion was getting better day of the so-called Universal Champion who was supposed to be equivalent of a World Champion. How can you elevate a new title and increase its credibility when the title holder is losing to a midcard champion multiple times?

The booking didn't make you and us believe that Universal Championship was anywhere near to World Championship.

It's pretty difficult to make a title that's pretty much universally hated (you decide if the pun was intended or not) to feel special. The title has had almost everything go against it since it was unveiled to boos at SummerSlam and placed BEFORE the United States Championship on the card.

If Lesnar wins (haha "if") I really can't see him holding the title until Summerslam, that would mean RAW would be without a World Championship for over 4 months. I know that was obviously done before in the not so distant past but that was the only World Title at the time. Could he drop it at a B-Level show before that? Yeah but it would be anti-climactic. I fear that after Mania they might switch World Champions so that the full-time World Champion is on RAW while the part time World Champion is on Smackdown.

If Lesnar wins (haha "if") I really can't see him holding the title until Summerslam, that would mean RAW would be without a World Championship for over 4 months. I know that was obviously done before in the not so distant past but that was the only World Title at the time. Could he drop it at a B-Level show before that? Yeah but it would be anti-climactic. I fear that after Mania they might switch World Champions so that the full-time World Champion is on RAW while the part time World Champion is on Smackdown.
I don't think that Brock Lesnar will lose it at a B-Level PPV. Also, that won't make sense. As of now, the plan seems like Brock gets the title at Wrestlemania 33 and loses it to none other than Roman Reigns at Summerslam.

As much as we don't like it, Raw could be without Brock Lesnar i.e Universal Champion until a month before Summerslam. I just don't see Brock Lesnar appearing on a B-Level PPV.

I don't think that Brock Lesnar will lose it at a B-Level PPV. Also, that won't make sense. As of now, the plan seems like Brock gets the title at Wrestlemania 33 and loses it to none other than Roman Reigns at Summerslam.

As much as we don't like it, Raw could be without Brock Lesnar i.e Universal Champion until a month before Summerslam. I just don't see Brock Lesnar appearing on a B-Level PPV.

He's done it before at Extreme Rules, NOC and Battleground.

He's done it before at Extreme Rules, NOC and Battleground.
Good point, indeed. I forgot about them.

Now as I recall, he fought John Cena at Extreme Rules and again Cena at Night Of Champions. And then Seth Rollins at Battleground. All for the title.

But as a champion only Night Of Champions. Why? Because John Cena was owed a rematch after Brock Lesnar decimated him at Summerslam. After that, he defended the title at Royal Rumble. So, that kind of tells if Brock will defend the title at B-Level PPVs. I needed to be more specific. Sorry.

I want this to be a fight. Like Cena vs Lesnar from Extreme Rules 2012. That's the only way Goldberg will do some wrestling. 10-15 minutes top. A bloody brawl. Can it please? If it can't be that and Lesnar ends up squashing Goldberg out of nowhere, man I'll pissed.

Also the Universal title looked even worse on Goldberg's shoulder. Like a big fucking toy.

This will likely go on last, and after a long show this will be given the indifference it deserves.

It should be a wild brawl, I'd have it be like the Hollywood Back Lot brawl and make it show long. Or if not insert Angle into it as an enforcer.

Either this will be a squash match or 10 minutes match I don't see Goldberg lasting longer than that, this match makes no sense what so ever it sucked 13 years ago and it will be way worse now, Vince should retire from making shots couze this match is suicide

Either this will be a squash match or 10 minutes match I don't see Goldberg lasting longer than that, this match makes no sense what so ever it sucked 13 years ago and it will be way worse now, Vince should retire from making shots couze this match is suicide

10 minutes is probably too much for Goldberg. In the interview after he won the title he was massively out of breath and that looked like it happened about 10-15 minutes after the match, where he only did two moves.

Lesnar will win within 5 mins and it will be the worst & most pointless 1v1 main event in Mania history.

I get why fans on this board don't like this match as the main event of wrestlemania. Because your not getting a classic 30 minutes match like you are use to having at mania lately. This is probably a ten minutes match at best with 1 guys that's past is prime and the other that only care about his paycheck. But let's face it, this is one of the biggest match they could have made outside of cena vs taker and the wrestlemania crowd will go nuts for this match anyway. Plus with the fact that mania is as ling of an event as it is, I think fans will be glad to have a short main event in the end of that show.

Also to name this match the worst main event in mania history is showing how much you don't know your wwe history, I could name at less 2 main events that we're worst then this one, bam bam vs LT at wrestlemania 11 and hogan vs sid at wrestlemania 8. You could also put taker vs sid at mania 13 as an exemple.

I get why fans on this board don't like this match as the main event of wrestlemania. Because your not getting a classic 30 minutes match like you are use to having at mania lately. This is probably a ten minutes match at best with 1 guys that's past is prime and the other that only care about his paycheck. But let's face it, this is one of the biggest match they could have made outside of cena vs taker and the wrestlemania crowd will go nuts for this match anyway. Plus with the fact that mania is as ling of an event as it is, I think fans will be glad to have a short main event in the end of that show.

Also to name this match the worst main event in mania history is showing how much you don't know your wwe history, I could name at less 2 main events that we're worst then this one, bam bam vs LT at wrestlemania 11 and hogan vs sid at wrestlemania 8. You could also put taker vs sid at mania 13 as an exemple.

To be honest I forgot about LT v Bigelow at 11. I think that you've hit the nail on the head with the rest of your point. It is easily the biggest match that can be put on apart from Cena v Taker. WWE really needs to build several main event stars up over the next year.

Good point, indeed. I forgot about them.

Now as I recall, he fought John Cena at Extreme Rules and again Cena at Night Of Champions. And then Seth Rollins at Battleground. All for the title.

But as a champion only Night Of Champions. Why? Because John Cena was owed a rematch after Brock Lesnar decimated him at Summerslam. After that, he defended the title at Royal Rumble. So, that kind of tells if Brock will defend the title at B-Level PPVs. I needed to be more specific. Sorry.

Yeah but that was Summerslam to 'Mania as champ and there was a short time between NOC and RR. There is no way we don't see him wrestle till Summerslam when he wins.

Let's hope for the best and expect the worst. I cannot imagine they would go without a main event champion on Raw post-WrestleMania.

It was different before when Lesnar disappeared with the belt in 2014. That happened in the fall. After WrestleMania, they need to keep the attention of the casuals who tuned in. They won't do that without a world champion.

There's a few scenarios that are possible. If Lesnar wins, he could easily drop the title at Payback. They can protect him with a multi man match so he doesn't get pinned. They could easily run interference or have a heel cheat.

Either man could vacate due to a kayfabe injury. I know it's probably the lamest, but it could work pretty easily.

Goldberg could retire as champion. I doubt they have Lesnar lose yet again. It would make little to no sense. If they do decide to put Bill over, the question becomes wether or not this is it for him. If he wins, and if he's not retiring, he too could easily lose the title in the same ways as Payback.

The other possibility is they could name an interim champion. This is very unlike WWE, and a little too UFC for that matter, but if either disappeared with the belt it could be an option. There was that report of Orange County choppers building a new Universal title with the same design.

In all likelyness though Brock wins the title then loses it at Payback. It's unlikely they book that clean. Most likely it's a multi man match where someone else eats a pin. KO and Balor are owed Universal title matches.

There's just no way the Universal title vanishes after a WrestleMania. If this was SummerSlam, sure.

The bigger issue is how they book the Mania title match? Another squash is going to be trash. Likely Lesnar and Goldberg take turns massacring each other before one of them wins. It'll be one of the worst Mania title matches, hopefully it'll at least be enjoyable.

There's no way this ends the show without some kind of major swerve. Goldberg isn't walking out as champion, for obvious reasons, and Brock doesn't feel likely or big enough to end on. Even if Brock somehow does leave with the belt, what then? A quick drop on Raw or the next PPV? To who? I just can't see it.
I'm gonna go totally left-field with this and say

A) Goldberg wins in a squash, Owens activates his rematch and steals the belt back
B) Brock wins in a squash, Balor activates his shot and leaves with the belt
C) Goldberg wins in a squash, Owens activates his rematch and steals the belt back. Balor activates HIS rematch and we get Owens Vs Balor as the real main event.

A) Goldberg wins in a squash, Owens activates his rematch and steals the belt back

Ha, other than the squash idea that would actually be sweet. Owens did say he gets a rematch for the Universal title anytime he wants, why not at Wrestlemania? Owens would be a made man and steal the show if he became US champion and than defeated a beat up Brock Lesnar or Goldberg to win the Universal title to end the show. Won't happen but one can dream. Green rep for creativity.

Lesnar as champion in 2017 could happen in my eyes. In 2016 Lesnar wrestled in 5 PPVs (Rumble, Fastlane, Mania, Summerslam and Survivor Series) and also wrestled in multiple house shows.

Same thing happened in 2015 as well.

Now, after Wrestlemania has ended, Lesnar will already have wrestled in 2. Summerslam will be the 3rd one. So Lesnar still has two more matches that the WWE can add between WM and Summerslam, which has 4 PPVs in that time period, for RAW alone. Take out some of Lesnar's house show dates and turn them into PPV matches and I think Lesnar can have a good reign. He won't be there every week, but him wrestling every couple of PPVs could work.

The problem with Lesnar in 2014 was that he disappeared from September till January. 3,5 months. If WWE can lower Lesnar's absnces to 1,5 month from 3,5, then it could work.

People are going to mock and smash me, but I truly believe that following Brock Lesnar destroying Goldberg in short time, Paul Heyman will say something along the lines that Wrestlemania deserves a moment and that Goldberg wasnt a main event worthy, throws open challenge out. I see AJ Styles, fresh of his LOSS to Shane O Mac coming out, and beating Lesnar and ending Mania as the WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPION. Between the rumours of him going to Raw, his throw away match with Shane at the biggest show of the year, and Heyamn recently in dark matches having Lesnar have open challenges, it makes sense to me. Hoping Vince is looking at the bigger picture, a face or heel AJ can either have instant matches with Samoa Joe or Kevin Owens or a returning Finn Balor or Roman Reigns. Looks win-win for mine, fans go home happy, Lesnar not holding a title we wont see for months on end. AJ vs Rollins anybody?

Does anyone remember the Marvin Hagler/Thomas Hearns boxing match? It was one of the most hard hitting and action packed fights of all time and it went only 3 rounds. That's how I think Lesnar/Goldberg should be booked. Have them go out there and put on an epic short brawl. I think with that scenario these two could really deliver.

If the reports are true, Vince was/is very hands on with developing this feud, and Goldberg VS Lesnar is one of his top priorities heading into Wrestlemania 33, because he sees it as a big, marquee match.

I'm hoping they'll have a good match, but this has disaster written all over it for a number of reasons. WWE did a great job of pulling of a legitimate shock at Survivor Series....but you have to believe we're at a point, where fans want to see the match they were hoping to see at Survivor Series. Goldberg compared himself to Mike Tyson on Edge & Christian's podcast, saying "I just so happen to be that guy who lifts people off their feet from on their back," when he made analogy between people preferring to see Evander Holyfield go 12 rounds, while other people paid to see Tyson annihilate someone quickly. That's all well and good, but this is supposed to be the big payoff match.

When Flair still had his second podcast, I remember he said something along the lines of "Oh, he's going to Suplex City at Wrestlemania. That's what I've heard," when they we're talking about the rematch. I'm just bored with and burnt out on watching Lesnar throw a barrage of German suplexes during his matches, and hitting an F5 or two for the win. I want the Brock Lesnar that was having good and great matches with John Cena, CM Punk, The Undertaker (excluding the Wrestlemania XXX match, of course), and Triple H.

And then you have to wonder about Goldberg lasting more than two minutes. If Goldberg is exhausted early on, you can be sure the fans will turn on this match, and they'll turn on it quickly. There's a good chance we're headed for another crowd reaction resembling Wrestlemania XX. The boos started in Chicago, and you could say the Chicago fans are a fickle bunch, but Raw's in Philly tomorrow night. Another hardcore smarky town, and you know there's a good chance that reaction will carry over to Wrestlemania, because Wrestlemania crowds are notoriously smarky. The reports going around are Goldberg is not signed on for any more dates after Wrestlemania 33, so the fans know he's leaving (again). That, or he won't be around for a while.

Goldberg said he wants to bring out some stuff he hasn't shown yet, because of constraints, but a part of me believes he's just saying that to hype up the match. Sadly, there's a chance Goldberg/Lesnar is one of those dream matches that just can't live up to the hype, and it's hard to get your hopes up thirteen years later, when the first match was a heaping pile of dogshit (although, I can understand why some enjoy it for being a complete trainwreck and comedic gold).

Lesnar wins after dominating the match, because there's no reason for Goldberg to hold on to the title. Hopefully, they'll stick this in the middle of the card somewhere. I can't picture anything but an apathetic reaction, or if it sucks, the crowd completely turning on a match that closes a show that's supposed to be seven hours long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back