Would an all woman PPV work?

Discussion in 'WWE Pay Per Views' started by shadyfozzie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. shadyfozzie

shadyfozzie Occasional Pre-Show

with the growing size of the woman's roster on both shows, would an all female PPV work?? I'm thinking it could be 5-6 matches long, maybe introduce a woman's tag team championship belt, what do you think?

Dagger Dias likes this.
  2. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

I wouldn't be surprised if they did try this. It would give Stephanie more to brag about with how much more history it would make. This show would absolutely have to be dual-branded, if not even triple-branded with NXT getting a showcase on it. There are only 11 women on Raw and 11 women on Smackdown. Matches could include a Raw Women's Championship match, a Smackdown Women's Championship match, Absolution VS 3 Raw women, Riott Squad VS 3 Smackdown women, an NXT Women's Championship match, and a couple of filler matches. Maybe Carmella could cash in here too. It could work. Maybe.

3. d_henderson1810

d_henderson1810 Mid-Card Championship Winner

This is more chance now with the WWE Network.

Not only do i say that because women are taken more seriously now, but also because, people wouldn't be paying any extra to see it, since it would be part of the $9.99 that they pay a month regardless for the Network. Therefore, since subscribers are paying for it anyway, more might watch it.

But it wouldn't have worked a few years ago, not just because there weren't as many talented Divas, but, even today, no-one is going to pay $50 for an all-Diva PPV.

I can see it happening. Whether it will be included in the official PPV calendar, or be a "Special" show outside of that, remains to be seen.

Wildcat66 likes this.
  4. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nothing against the women's on the rosters because they are all talented wrestlers, but the way they are booked right now, I don't feel that a all women ppv would work.

Just look at how the women's have been booked lately, we are back to having short matches that mean nothing. The riot vs Naomi match from last Tuesday is a perfect example of that. It lasted less then a minute and didn't help anybody involve.

The other problem is that this would be overshadowed by Stephanie and all the PR surrounding it. They would use the words history so much that the in ring product Won't mean a thing just like all the other first.

Also, you have to take into account that women wrestling is a niche product, so it might be popular with people that subscribe to the network, it Won't bring in new subscribers which is the goal of wwe. Again look at how the Mae young classic was receive last year. It was popular but didn't increase traffic or subscription numbers, so a all female ppv will probably have the same impact of blah.

In the end, they don't have the star power in the division to carry a all women's ppv. They spend so much energy in making sure that Charlotte become a household name that they sacrifice the rest of the roster to do it. Asuka is the only one that still fill like a star outside of Charlotte and That's not enough to carry a ppv and be successful with it.

5. stingray11214

stingray11214 Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie

At this juncture? Not a chance. You do not have the QUALITY that would make this little more than a "Superstars"-Lite event. As much as there is criticism over how Stephanie would handle it, the reality is that she would actually get people to watch it....to its detriment. People will tune in, see what it really is, and then shit all over it. Now, if they split the Women to form a subsidiary under the WWE banner, you might be able to pull something like this off long term. But, as for now, an all Women PPV will be catastrophic.

Dagger Dias and Bernkastel like this.
  6. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

As a woman even I wouldn't watch it to be honest. Even though there are a number of women on the roster that are capable of headlining a RAW or SD, I really don't think an all women PPV would work. They don't seem to be able to focus on more than a couple of them at a time, so the rest get lost in the shuffle.

Sure the women have come a long way since the bullshit of the Attitude Era and there have been a lot of firsts, but there is still a long way to go. With the advent of the Network maybe have a network special instead and see how that works, before committing to a full fledged PPV.

7. #HELLNO

#HELLNO !FIGHT-BRUSSELS-FIGHT!

It will happen and it will work. Here is why, the Mae Young Classic was a tournament that featured some of the greatest females from all over the world, people watched, people where intrigued and most people forgot the old stigma that the women can't keep up with the men. Now if people watched that, I am damn near sure they would pay for an all female pay-per-view, I mean they paid for a PPV that was headlined by a 50 year old, who could never really go for long, against an ageing beast who had his last great match, about 12 years ago.

People can argue that this would be a shambles, but let it happen, let them work it out. Like mentioned above, have a RAW & a SmackDown Women's Championship match, then have a few fillers, but they wouldn't really be fillers if they could get you invested. A Charlotte vs. Becky, Sasha vs. Asuka, Charlotte vs. Asuka; wouldn't need a title to make you want to watch it. So yes, I do believe this will happen and I definitely believe that it will work.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  8. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

With the right investment and promotion it could certainly "work". It could work from an entertainment standpoint and it could work from a financial standpoint. This is certainly the best time in history to do it. WWE is supposedly sitting on the greatest women's draw in fighting history. Time magazine named women standing up for themselves as their Persons of the Year or something like that. It sounds like GLOW was a success for Netflix. Chrissy Teigen just tweeted about her love for WM (and when given an invite by Stephanie to come to the next WM, didnt know when it was, teehee). Charlotte just came off as the best story and biggest star of the Ric Flair doc. And finally, can you think of a better way to pull new viewers to the WWE Network?

But it shouldn't be your typical PPV. It shouldn't focus on six to eight matches with little much else. It should focus on showcasing/exploiting what WWE does best, vignettes that give people the feels. The female empowerment type stuff, women's wrestling revisionist history (mostly focused on the recent growth), and WWE's charity work. They should build it through story on Raw and SD, not just announce it. They put obstacles and confrontation in the women's way. Maybe a RTC type Ivory character who doesn't believe the women can do it without the men. Maybe backstage scenes where some of the guys (heels) are insulting the idea only for the women to overhear. Go even further and make the women earn the show by winning something or a Daniel Bryan type protest. Introduce a new character that wants to give the women their own show which forces Vince's hand to the women what they want. Maybe piggyback off a popular PPV on a Saturday night the same way NXT does it. Maybe it can be Rousey's idea and she can be the catalyst that convinces Vince to book the show. SO MANY OPTIONS!!!!

It could work. It might be the best way to pull new viewers to the Network. They should be able to get great social media help and possibly celebrity help. A name like Rousey would pull in men, celebrities and social conscience would pull in women. Most WWE fans would watch as it is something different and a first in WWE programming.

I don't know. I've come up with these reasons/ideas just this morning, I'm sure WWE can do even better. Or maybe they can't and that is why this simple idea that seems to have so much potential hasn't happened yet.

Wildcat66 and Jack-Hammer like this.
  9. Starkist

Starkist (To Rip) The Heart From Your Hate

It could work but it would be cool if WWE brought back the King of the Ring tournament and also did a Queen of the Ring tournament as well. Have it be a dual branded pay per view and have quality matches for both men and the women. 1.5 hours for the men and 1.5 hours for the females. I don't see right now a 3 hour all female pay per view in the close future but maybe 2019 it could happen.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  10. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Would it work in the sense of Vince trying to show how progressive he is in his views towards women, all other evidence to the contrary? Sure, probably so. Of course, Stephanie would be there in an attempt to take some of the credit and spread it about to every other woman that's ever worked in WWE, whether they genuinely had anything whatsoever to do with how far women have come in WWE or not. After all, what's a notable achievement without some self-important bullshit artist being there to soak up as much adulation and credit as possible?

We've had women in the main event spots of WWE television, a few have main evented ppvs, we've had all female versions of favorite gimmick matches like Hell in a Cell & Money in the Bank, a woman's match has been voted by numerous fans & wrestling journalists alike as the very best match of the year a few years back, we've had an all female tournament air on the WWE Network and we're going to have an all female Royal Rumble match a month from now.

To be honest, an all female ppv comes off, to me at least, as a bit redundant at this point and strikes me as more of a self-congratulatory "we've made history" moment more than anything else. I think they'd be more focused on touting how progressive this is, hyping how WWE is creating role models for young girls, etc. than actually making a good show; not that it would really matter as they'd try to tout the event as the biggest boon to womankind since the invention of the pushup bra. In order for it to come off as being "equal" to the men, there'd have to be substantial TV time given over and WWE would have to actually focus on more than a single women's program rather than try to lump all of them into something, which is what they often do & which tends to result in most of the women being little more as background.

11. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

All women's ppv yes, tag belts? No.

It would have to work logistically - it couldn't be jammed too close between other events, and it would need a nice build, and high stakes. If say it were to happen in the immediate future, it would need to be dual branded.

Tag belts would only work if the brand extension changed fundamentally - imagine how crowded it would be if each show had a set of Raw and SDL women's tag belts. Some champions might not make it on a show weekly.

Maybe the tag champs could be on both shows, then what would that say about the singles champions? There's a lot of logistics that would have to go into this change.

Run a women's only event but give it high stakes. Both women's titles on the line, some inter-brand match ups, number one contender spots on the line. As others have said, maybe even Queen of the Ring.

It will fail if it's too close to other events. Let it have a good two or three week build. There was a gap this year between SDL's Clash of Champions and the Rumble 2018. A spot like that could have allowed for a good build for the women.

12. King Patrick Star

King Patrick Star K. O. T. R. 2007 -€“ Team Undisputed

Making an all-women’s pay per view as a Network Special would be perfect. The issue I see is filling in the arena for this event. Do you think you can fill in an arena for an all-female card??

I like the idea of having a women’s Royal Rumble match. I love the idea of King and Queen of the ring. An all women pay per view?? That might be extremely hard to pull off.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  13. Dyscord

Dyscord Pre-Show Stalwart

I think they should go even further and make an all women's brand. I mean in this day and age they rarely interact with the men anyway. Give them their own brand and every so often have a PPV like NXT does with takeover. Make the storylines a bit longer and have them actually mean something. It honestly would remind me how the WWF was back when they only had four PPVs a year.

It could work. If they actually focused on it instead of it being an afterthought then it could work.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  14. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

It already happened, it was called the Mae Young classic, and yes, it was successful.

15. Kodo Sawaki

Kodo Sawaki Championship Contender

For my pants it would work.

For overall whole PPV show, I feel that they would need to up their game quite a bit to work. Which means joined women division and whole lot more interpersonal feuds and not just 3vs3 matches that dont lead to anything. But that would require focus on women and stories and not just lazy writing so I am not sure WWE creative could handle that.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  16. Pika

Pika Pre-Show Stalwart

Yes, but depends on how they present it. Isn't Alexa Bliss the most popular female reality "star" WWE has? She hasn't had a single good match. Literally not one. Has a track record of falling flat, being clunky in the ring, has poor delivery, bad to worst match of the year quality in-ring work, and hasn't had a single memorable moment in comparison to someone like Charlotte and Sasha Banks. So literally just do what they're doing now and the general WWE fan won't care about the bad wrestling and will probably watch it. Between the people who objectify them to a degree where they blatantly disregard their talent or athleticism, the family audience, and WWE conditioned sheep it'll work. Even if they lose money this is great fake and totally inorganic press to make it look like the WWE is progressing women's sports entertainment.

17. TakeTheSting

TakeTheSting Dark Match Winner

I loved the Mae Young classic. It was done so well and the matches were Incredible. One woman I can’t wait to see in wwe is Toni Storm and hope she decides to come soon but she’s a big name all around the world so she may stay wherever she is at the moment. She’s the total package of beauty pure wrestling ability and strength. I think tag team champs would definitely work and I’d love to see it.

18. Da Prophet

Da Prophet Mid-Card Championship Winner

I love how four years into this thing that people fail to understand the concept of a PPV, and the restrictions surrounding it, are no longer relevant to WWE.

WWE don't care if you buy a PPV. They want you to subscribe to the Network. They have a core audience with the Network. They aren't going to get a bunch of new people joining, and those who have joined are the loyalists who find value in the wide range of content available. WWE can do whatever they want under the Network model.

As was said, they already did it and people enjoyed it. An all female PPV has happened, they did it multiple times, if you think otherwise than you fail to understand the structure by which the WWE is operating now.

Bernkastel and stingray11214 like this.
  19. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

The WWE appears to be in the same position that Microsoft was when the latter entered the console wars. The WWE can do just fine if they try something revolutionary like an all female PPV and lose money.

Would it work? It depends on how you define a PPV achieving that standard.

I think that it work would to help keep the hype surrounding the women's revolution fresh. We already have an all female Royal Rumble coming up, which shows me that an all female PPV wouldn't be a huge leap for them. If the female Royal Rumble is a hit, then it only makes sense for me to see an all female PPV version of it next year.

I think that it would work for the fans of the female wrestlers. I'm a fan of the women's divisions for the same reason that I'm a fan of Canadian sketch comedy. The story behind the matches might not have me on the edge of my seat, but I'm seeing them pour their hearts into their matches. It's not that difficult for me to get the same rush watching Charlotte and Sasha's cage match as I did watching Tully Blanchard and Magnum T.A.'s cage match.

Would it make money? I don't think it would make nearly as much money as one of the WWE's big four PPVs. It would likely be in an arena worthy of RAW like any of the filler PPVs or "Network Specials" as they've been calling them. It would be great if the women could get the Starrcade name for a PPV exclusive to them, but I doubt that the WWE would ever be that generous. I think it would break even in terms of ticket sales and PPV buys, and that's a very high hope.

20. Messiah

Messiah WWE Champion

It would just be a waste of time. They'll do a live special on the network, 2 hours long and very few people will tune in, unless they use women from the Indy's and NXT as well.. The main roster women won't sell.. Ticket sales will probably be poor to.

21. d_henderson1810

You've got rocks in your head.

Alexa Bliss is one of the stars of the Divas Division. She is great on the mike, and made herself a big deal. I don't know how you can't like her delivery.

I suppose you mark for Asuka. Tell me, when was the last time Asuka had to cut a promo. She doesn't even speak English.

22. d_henderson1810

Asuka is the only one who is a star outside of Charlotte?

How about Alexa Bliss. The girl has made herself the consummate heel, and is great on the mike. Does she annoy you? Good, that is her playing her role, meaning that she is good at what she does. Alexa Bliss is a star.

Mickie James is a future Hall-Of-Famer.

Nia Jax would be a star if she was given the booking that Asuka gets.

I don't get how everyone is so high on Asuka. She is only such a "star" because she has been booked as undefeated in NXT. She is a good worker, but couldn't cut a promo to save herself. It is unrealistic to believe that she could beat someone as big as a Nia Jax or Tamina in real life. She would get crushed by them.

People also mark for her because smarks love any wrestler who comes from Japan. People make it sound like that there has never been a bad wrestling match in Japan, and anyone who comes out of there has wrestling cred. Come on, are you telling me that Japanese wrestlers NEVER have poor matches, ever? This is a country with silly game shows and who can't win world wars, yet anyone out of Japan is some wrestling superstar who is talked about as better as anyone else. I bet if half of the other Divas that you bag now were Japanese as well, you would mark for them too.

Let's face it, mate. You just like running down most Divas because, in real life, you wouldn't have a chance with any of them.

23. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20

To those who mentioned the Mae Young Classic, I do not think that should count. It was a tournament with multiple episodes that featured no one who was employed by the WWE at the time. What the threadstarter was looking for, was to see a show like No Mercy or Payback would work if one featured only women wrestlers. I get that people liked the Mae Young Classic but that was completely different from an all female WWE PPV.

Stone Cold, Daniel Bryan, NXT, Shinsuke Nakamura, gym trainers, people who aren't fat.... and now we can also add Asuka as well as all any wrestler from Japan to your list of people you irrationally hate.

Your comments towards Japan and their wrestlers, to very little surprise quite honestly, were 100% uncalled for. The place somebody lives or wrestles in does not make them a good wrestler or not. Did you get insulted by a gym trainer who liked Stone Cold and just happened to be Japanese? Either you are trolling or are in serious need of professional help. What you said is borderline racist.

24. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

An All-Women Network special. Most of it was filmed at the same show, and just shown separately. The differences are negligible at best. It had multiple episodes.....so they had multiple all-women network specials then ?

That's what MYC was. Its not completely different at all :lmao:

Hit it on the head. Its not my fault if people can't grasp evolved presentation.

25. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20

I disagree for two reasons.

First of all.... The Mae Young Classic is not a PPV. Even when discussing presentation on the WWE Network. If going by that logic then 205 Live's episodes would be considered "PPV" events. Clearly they are not, and neither is the Mae Young Classic. The Royal Rumble is a PPV. Hell In A Cell is a PPV. Whether you talk about watching it on the WWE Network or in the traditional PPV format, only a select few events fit the description of the event that this thread is looking for.

Secondly.... There were no members of the WWE's female roster participating in the event. Sure some such as Kairi Sane and Bianca Belair are now part of NXT, but who from the main roster was in the Mae Young Classic? A former WWE Diva named Serena is the only one who came to mind and she has yet to show up on a Raw or a Smackdown. That's it. The kind of show that the thread is discussing would be a WWE PPV event featuring any of the women from the red and/or blue brands. You could even get legends like Trish or Lita to appear.

THESE women are who the show would need to feature.

Alexa Bliss
    Alicia Fox
    Asuka
    Bayley
    Becky Lynch
    Carmella
    Charlotte
    Dana Brooke
    Lana
    Liv Morgan
    Mandy Rose
    Mickie James
    Naomi
    Natalya
    Nia Jax
    Paige
    Ruby Riott
    Sarah Logan
    Sasha Banks
    Sonya Deville
    Tamina

Between those women the WWE could make a decent PPV event that has only female wrestlers working matches on that show. It would be a true WWE Women's PPV. Not a bunch of people we will never see in WWE content ever again, in a tournament that in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing.