Worst Wrestler of the Year

Discussion in '2017 Wrestling Awards' started by klunderbunker, Jan 2, 2018.

?

Who Was the Worst Wrestler of the Year in 2017?

1. Jinder Mahal

2. Ember Moon

3. Shane McMahon

4. Lana

5. Tamina

6. Dana Brooke

7. Young Bucks

8. Alicia Fox

9. Enzo Amore

10. Dolph Ziggler

11. Randy Orton

12. Bray Wyatt

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is always a fun one.

2. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

I wasn't being funny when I nommed Bray and Orton. They've went completely downhill this year. Moreso than Jinder and Ziggler, who've at least shown signs of life.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Oh, Dolph Ziggler, how I loathe thee. I do think the suffocation of Nakamura and Roode's pushes at birth were the result of bizarre booking than any lack of skill on Ziggler's part. It's nonetheless astonishing that someone thought "Being narrowly better than Dolph Ziggler" was an accolade worth having for not one but two debuting wrestlers in 2017.

Can I excuse Shane McMahon for the same reason? Of course, perhaps we're yet to be introduced to the part of Shane's backstory that explains why he can beat the WWE champion in a fistfight. Perhaps he went away and became a professional cagefighter while he was away from WWE television. Chinese scientists have developed an experimental type of gene therapy that only boosts the athletic performance of grey-haired businessmen. Trapped in the fighting pits of Tianjin, it was kill or be killed, and he became known as "The Face of Death." Leading a group of muscular businessmen in their late forties to freedom, Shane killed guard after guard after guard with his bare hands. But until they explain that, him beating up AJ Styles or Kevin Owens - or The Undertaker - just seems preposterous.

Ember Moon is excruciatingly dull, to the point that I was struggling to remember her name just now and I've watched every single episode of NXT this year. There are few moments more painful than watching Asuka - the lady who Ember could never beat - award the NXT women's title to Ember. I was legitimately expecting Asuka to pat her on the head. Yes, well done, Ember, you could never beat me, but you managed to cheese it in a multi-woman match. Aren't you just the destroyer of worlds?

There's not much in it.

BestSportsEntertainer likes this.
  4. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

TJ Perkins is so bad that no one could even think of him when it was time for nominations. The guys was given quite a few chances to succeed and never could connect despite the attention.

Oh well, based on the list provided, Tamina is the easiest one to gloss over. I would vote for her.

Bagpipes likes this.
  5. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I wanna say the Young Bucks. They're the epitome of what comprises an overrated spot monkey as their matches are nothing but nonstop flips, flops and heavily choreographed spots. They might be shits, but they're charismatic shits with loads of personality.

However, looking at the list, I'm also tempted to go with Lana because Lana's just beyond terrible, she would've fit right in 10 to 15 years ago in particular when women were meant for nothing more than *********ory fodder for the male fans. However, at least Lana does bring personality and charisma to the table.

Jinder sucks, but he sucks as an average wrestler with a great physique.

Dana Brooke and Tamina are probably the epitome of dead weight right now. Tamina is only on the roster because of who her father was and Dana Brooke is basically a jobber for life now that she's part of Titus Worldwide. But at least Dana does have some personality whereas Tamina brings nothing whatsoever to the table so I'm probably gonna go with her.

6. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

No one's "skills to spot on the card" ratio even approaches the levels of shit Shane Mcmahon inhabits.

Woefully absurd, on every level, all the time.

BestSportsEntertainer likes this.
  7. Black Anaconda Vise

Black Anaconda Vise The LD Dweller

Tamina is one of those people that I forget is still under contract. She's like the female JTG minus any charisma

8. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Dolph Ziggler. He continues to suck the life out of every single match that he's in.

9. Bernkastel

E-Fed Mod

Except that Shane can be consistently carried to a good match if he has the right opponent. Same can't be said for a few others on the poll.

10. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Never liked guys that only do moves for the sake of moves and don't have any psychology into what they're doing. While I feel like in ring wise, they're are worst wrestlers then the young bucks, I still pick them for worst wrestlers.

11. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

I'm upset Cody Rhodes didn't make the list. There is no one in mainstream pro wrestling today worse than Cody Rhodes.

12. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

I hear his match with Okada was quite good but then again, today is 2018, isn't it?

13. Bagpipes

Bagpipes Top Guys Out

-1 for no Rhett Titus

14. Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Jeff Deliverer of Mail Money for nothin, chicks for free
    E-Fed Mod

Lana was somehow worse than a 90s Diva.

15. Spidercanrana

Can anybody give me an example of Tamina having a bad match this year? Like sure she's forgettable, but for the life of me I can't think of any instance where she did anything so bad it was memorable. Maybe it's just automatic for us to think she deserves to be nominated because she's just there. Not good enough reason for me to want to vote for her.

If anything, Jinder Mahal should be a contender for Most Improved. He's done more as a character and as a competitor than he has ever done. His in-ring work really wasn't that awful. But since a company decided to put the major belt on him in hopes they could tap into the India fanbase, somehow that makes him worthy of being the worst wrestler of 2017. Go figure.

On the opposite spectrum, there is Bray Wyatt. A guy who had such potential, an obvious choice in being the big act of any wrestling show...just...horrendous. Worse than Lana by a country mile, who at least was never treated like a big deal. Lana had, what, four matches this year? Hardly a spotlight. Watching Bray struggle and just waste away was like catching your Honor Roll student smoking crack in a ****e house. You wanted better for him, you really did. But facts are what they are. Bray Wyatt had the worst year of any wrestler I've seen in a long time.

The Sister Abigail thing, that thing that was prominent ever since he debuted, just vanished via Snapchat filter. Every match he was in was treated like a big character driven ordeal but they just bombed. Everything led to nowhere. Babbling promo work. No followers to fall back on. Just...terrible. It's almost a safe bet to assume Matt Hardy will beat him. Woken Matt. A comedy act.

16. Rainbow Yaz

E-Fed Mod

Agree with the Lana and Tamina thing. I have words about the Jinder thing though. I'll go into detail when I'm not shoving cheeseburgers into my mouth.

17. Барбоса

Барбоса doesn't know REAL wrestling...

I would ask if the kind of instantly forgettable type of match that Tamina has not the absolute worst thing you can do in professional wrestling?

18. Spidercanrana

Quick search shows she was in nothing but multi-man matches in 2017. Unless it's the Rumble or that WarGames match, I don't see how anybody is supposed to be remembered in that settup.

Wouldn't call her bad for that, let alone worst. If we can't say she was awful, why nominate her in the first place?

19. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

No, I can't remember her doing anything. She that bad.

Exactly.

I can't remember her doing anything good or bad, which is a combination of her doing nothing and me not caring. To me, that makes her far worse of a wrestler than anyone else.

Shame! Shame! Shame!

I agree. Jinder took his opportunity and made a Hyundai. No way is he one of the worst wrestlers of the year.

I don't know, he had a bad year but for some reason I am still curious about him. Not enough to listen to him but enough to wait for someone to tell me that something is happening with him.

Lana is terrific. She hasn't been given much to play on her strengths but I still want to see what she is going to do next.

He is a good candidate for Wrestler That Underdelivered in 2018, but not Worst Wrestler.

Hard to foresee Hardy losing the feud. Not many new characters lose their initial feud.

I struggle to blame Husky for his failings unless he is producing all his work.

20. Khalifa

Khalifa Where it at doe?

Wow Young Bucks are there. I don’t watch their matches but all I hear is people jizzing over them so I’m surprised to say the least. If I was being a dick I would go Randy Orton. Year in year out he just goes on these long, getting through the day periods where he can be boring and uninteresting. It seems like every year that stretch seems to get longer and longer. I can’t think of many good things Randy has done this year. He hasn’t done many bad things to be fair but for one of the GOATS I expect better.

If Randy wasn’t proven I would be picking him, that really only leaves 3 options for me. Shane McMahon, Lana and Alicia Fox. Apart from Shane’s pathetic looking punches he is actually what you’d expect from someone who has been in the business his whole life. I don’t want to see him in the ring but like the match against aJ at WM, it’s sorta passable. Lana had some of the worst matches of 2017 but to be fair it was her first real go. Plus I watched Road Ahead (holy fuck I can’t remember the name of the show, just the show where they follow them in the car to the next city, ride along maybe) and her passion seems legit so I could see her improving a lot in the future. Therefore my vote goes to a Alicia Fox, she’s been around longer than Lana to be better than she is and she still isn’t. Fox definitely made it harder to enjoy Survivor Series as well so I’m going with her.

21. Bernkastel

E-Fed Mod

I'm seeing a lot of arguments for Tamina and Bray Wyatt. Some good; some bad. All of you are still forgetting the terribleness that has been Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler quit, took his ball, and when home this year, and nobody cared. Literally nobody cared. The guy managed to make Nakamura look bad, and all he had to do was bump and sell. He couldn't even do that convincingly. Tamina is barely on TV, and Bray, god bless him, is still being used in a top mid card position.

22. Hard Hit Prince

Hard Hit Prince Not really working as a

I voted for Bray Wyatt. It's not underdeliver, it's sucking. The guy can be really good, but everything he did in 2017 was really bad. Orton, Balor, Hardy, the fucking disease, cheating on his wife. I know the last two don't count, but god was he awful inside that squared circle.

It's not the same voting for Tamina, whose opportunities are multi-female tag matches and Bray Wyatt, who has main event caliber matches and a WWE Championship run. His reign was way, but way worse than Jinder Mahal's. If you compare both of them, Jinder Mahal looks like a fucking star. I get trying to be original, but I also get being plain bad at that.

Bray Wyatt was the worst wrestler in 2017. He had big chances and all of them were awful. Can't name one entertaining match with him. I'm not saying good, just amusing and forgettable.

TJ Matics likes this.
  23. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

Jinder Mahal. Easily. Second close would be Enzo Amore.

24. SD619

SD619 Getting Noticed By Management

I don't think that Lana or Tamina were the worst considering that they probably had a few hours of screen time combined for the year.

It boils down to Shane and Ziggler for me. Both were given a lot of time and were disappointing. Considering that Shane at least had decent promos, I go with Ziggler.

25. Rainbow Yaz

E-Fed Mod

So I wanted to touch on this part, because I don't agree with it.

I know you have some interest in the NFL thanks to Facebook, so I want to use that. This won't be a perfect comparison, and probably won't make much sense to those outside of the US, but I'm rolling with it.

Imagine some crazy scenario where the Patriots end up with not only Tom Brady, but Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Russel Wilson, Andrew Luck, and Carson Wentz. They don't have all the good QBs, but they have some very good QBs at various stages of their careers who all have unique talents and while some have taken teams to the Super Bowl, the others have displayed the skills most people agree are needed to take a team to the Super Bowl. For some reason, Bill Belichick in all of his crazy football genius, decides instead of starting any of those other guys, he wants to sign a former third string quarterback that people barely remember was ever on the team. This guy, lets call him Steve, never got to play, but old Bill wants to try something radical. So Steve trots out onto the field for the first game of the season, and people are confused as to why instead of any of the established Super Bowl QBs or any of the rising star QBs, they are putting Steve in.

So Steve goes out and he flat out sucks. I'm talking he is throwing interceptions left and right, taking stupid sacks, fumbling the snap. Basically he looks like he would be the next guy the Browns are confident is going to take them to the top. He keeps this up for the first twelve or so games of the season, despite all the other QBs looking like stars during practice. Attendance at the stadium is way down because no one wants to see Steve play. People are begging for Belichick to bench him, but Bill is a genius you see, he knows what is best, so he keeps Steve on the field. In game thirteen, Steve does something no one expected, he actually plays an entire series without making a stupid play. They still end up punting, but maybe just maybe there is hope for Steve. The final game of the season rolls around, there are maybe ten people in the stands, and Steve does the impossible. Steve throws a touchdown! The team was losing big and the touchdown won't impact anything, but Steve did it. He showed improvement!

That is basically what Jinder did.

Khalifa and tdmoon like this.