Will We Have a 19-0 Team?

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Currently there are two NFL teams with 13-0 records. The Indianapolis Colts and the New Orleans Saints. Two years ago the Patriots had a chance to go undefeated, but they lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl and finished 18-1. Not only do I not see either of theses teams going undefeated, I don't see either of them making it to the Super Bowl. Let's take a look at the teams.

Colts- The Colts schedule isn't that tough for the remainder of the regular season. They have a short week and play the Jaguars this Thursday on the road, but as long as the majority of the starters play they should win. Next week they are at home against the Jets who have the best defense in the league but not much of an offense. Again the Colts should win if they play most of their starters. The last week they are at Buffalo in a game where they can play there backups and still probably win. As long as the Colts don't rest their starters they should finish the regular season undefeated. However, I have the Colts losing to the Chargers in the AFC title game. The Chargers have had the Colts number the last few years.

Saints- The Saints play Dallas at home this Saturday. The Cowboys are horrible in December, but the Saints have struggled to stop the run this season. If the Cowboys decide to focus on their running game they have a chance at the upset, but I pick the Saints. In week 16 the Saints will crush Tampa Bay at home. Week 17 they are at Carolina. This will be like the Super Bowl for the Panthers, especially if the Saints are still undefeated. If Deangelo Williams is healthy then I could see the Panthers pulling off the upset. Even if the Saints do get through the regular season undefeated I see them getting upset in the playoffs. There are two teams I think would beat the Saints. The Eagles and the Vikings. They won't be able to avoid both in the playoffs. I even think Green Bay could give them a run for their money.

So I don't think we will be seeing a 19-0 team this year. What are your thoughts?

As far as the Saints go, I going to have to say no. The NFC championship game will most likely be between the Saints and the Vikings, and I don't think they will be able to contain Adrian Peterson. If they do manage to stop Peterson, then Bret Favre will pick them apart in the passing game. I think it's highly likely they can 16-0 because the Cowboys have been playing like shit for the past few weeks, and Tampa Bay and Carolina are pretty much guarnteed wins.

I don't think the Colts will do it either. They also have a very good chance at going 16-0, but when it comes to the playoffs, there's a good chance they will run into the Ravens. And just like New England, they came real close to beating them. Although, unlike New England, the Ravens have a great defense, and they will shut Peyton Manning down.

No. here's why.

One team will end two perfect season's. That team being the San Diego Chargers. I see both the Colts and the Saints making it through the regular season undefeated, but the playoffs will be a different story.

Anyone who has watched football over the last few years know the history of the Chargers and the Colts. The Chargers not only have had the colts number in the playoffs, and the Chargers only look stronger this year. Plus the Chargers have experience with ending perfect seasons, 2005 the Colts are 13-0, until the Chargers come to town. So I see the Colts going down in the AFC championship to the Chargers.

For the Superbowl, we have the undefeated Saints against the Chargers, Brees against Rivers, LT and Sproles against Bush and Pierre, Gates and Shocky.These teams are the the two best in football Imo, and the Chargers will come out on top, winning their first Superbowl, and ending two perfect seasons in the process.

Simply put, no. The Saints have a great team, but their last few games have been too close for comfort. They'll run into Minnesota in the playoffs, and they can't make any mistakes. It'd be a tough game, but the Vikings have been too solid to lose in a big game like that.

The Colts are also a great team, and lack any huge holes, but they'll run into too many obstacles on their way to 19-0. The Patriots always give them a tough time, and the Chargers are simply too hot to just look over.

I may be in the minority here, but I am going to say that it is very likely.

COLTS:
Regular Season
The only team in the way of a Colts 16-0 regular season is the Colts themselves. The Colts have in the past (and I believe they have said they will this year too) given their starters off in some of these meaningless (to them) games. Their backups should be able to win Week 17 against Buffalo, and they have announced that their starters will play this week against the Jaguars, so both of those games should be wins. However, if the Colts play their backups week 16 against the Jets, they will have a hard time. The Jets have one of the top defenses and running attacks in the NFL, both of which would go wild against backups (just like the D did in Tampa this week against backup-caliber players).

POSTSEASON:
The postseason is a crapshoot, mainly because we do not know all the teams yet. These are the potential playoff teams:
  • Chargers: The Chargers (as everyone said) have the Colts number, but so did the Pats at one point. Also, during the Chargers 8-game win streak they are on, they have played 2 good team (Eagles and Broncos), 2 middle of the road teams (Cowboys and Giants), and 4 crap teams (Chiefs, Raiders, Chiefs again, Browns). Let them play well against a top tier team, and then maybe they could have a chance against this team.
  • Bengals: They look to be human now, after a poor outing against he Vikings, and the Colts shouldn't have a problem with them.
  • Broncos: The Colts just beat them, even with Brandon Marshall going crazy for 21 receptions.
  • New England: regardless of how people may want to spin it, Peyton Manning lit up the Pats defense when they met in the regular season, and the Colts won. They should do it again, IF THE PATS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.
  • the 4 7-6 teams: Colts are better then all of them (and maybe even an all-star team made up of the best players from the 4 of them).
VERDICT:
I don't want to cop out, but it all depends on if the Colts rest the starters week 16 against the Jets. If they do, then they will be 15-1 in the regular season. If they play their starters, then they will be 16-0. They will then go on to the Super Bowl, thus being either 18-0 or 17-1.

SAINTS:
REGULAR SEASON
The Saints reportedly said they will go after 16-0. They host the Cowboys on Saturday, then Tampa, and end the season at Carolina. The Cowboys can't seem to get out of their own way in the month of December, and DeMarcus Ware probably won't play after the injury last week, which means the Saints will be 14-0. Tampa is the worst team in the league (or 2nd behind the Rams), and should pose no threat. The Panthers don't have a QB, and as such will probably pose little threat to the Saints.

POSTSEASON:
  • Vikings: I think this would be a shootout, and I would take Brees over a 40 year old Favre, even if Favre has been outstanding all year. Brees is a better QB and has better receivers. Favre, as great as he has been, is still 40 years old and can't keep up this roll going deep into January (even though every game will be indoors). Favre played horribly in Arizona week 13, and was not good statistically this past week.
  • Eagles: They have the biggest up and down offense in the league right now. They put 50 up on the G-men. That's good, but they also gave up 38 points and 512 yards to an average team with an average offense. Even worse, however, is scoring just 9 against the RAIDERS?! No way can a team that loses to JaMarcus Russel can beat the Saints. Sorry, it's just not happening.
  • Green Bay: New Orleans will have a hard time with Charles Woodson (the Defensive Player of the Year), but Rodgers will have just as much problem with the Saints D. I can't see the Packers winning this game. Lest we forger, They lost a shootout (38-28) to Tampa Bay and Josh Freeman. TAMPA F'N BAY! JOSH FREEMAN!
  • Cowboys/Giants and Cardinals/49ers: they all are nothing more then average, and the Saints would roll over them easily.
VERDICT:
I can't see which team will keep the Saints from going 16-0. The Cowboys are average, the Bucs are crap, and the Panthers are almost as bad as the Bucs. In the Playoffs, I don't see any team here that can beat them.

-------------------------------------
I can't believe I'm actually saying this, because it sounds way too far-fetched, but I would actually be SURPRISED if the Saint and Colts are NOT playing in the Superbowl, with at least 1 of them being undefeated going in. Of course, one (or both) team(s) will probably play a crap game sometime in the playoffs, and I'll be completely wrong.

It's impossible to say with certainty. One blown coverage, one missed field goal, one bad pass, one missed tackle, or one fumble of the football can end a perfect season. I think that the Colts are more likely than the Saints to enter the Super Bowl undefeated, with a light schedule to end the season and such discipline in the playoffs (and they don't have to play Brett Favre and the Vikings), and the Saints still have a test in Dallas. But, both teams have an OUTSTANDING quarterback. You can never count Peyton Manning out of a game. I am fully convinced that he is not only the smartest NFL player ever, but the greatest and Drew Brees has such an arm and ability to make plays. Manning and Brees playing at 90% are better than anyone else at 100%. I think they're both the best teams in their respective conferences.

The biggest obstacle in the Saints' way is, of course, Brett Favre, Jared Allen, Percy Harvin, and Adrian Peterson. The Vikings have shown signs of being dominant, then they've folded in two games. If the Vikings play their best game, it may just be better than the Saints' best. The Colts biggest enemy is themselves. They have to avoid giving up and early lead and need to establish a better run game. But, if the Saints dump the Vikings and Peyton can do his thing, we will see 18-0 vs 18-0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back