Why Don't We See WWE Superstars Used In Name Brand Commercials More Often?

babinko

Beast from the East
I was just watching that Dr. Dre Beats commercial with Kevin Garnett and Richard Sherman which got me thinking, why don't we see WWE Superstars in Brand Commercials? That commercial would be perfect for a Randy Orton, John Cena, or even HHH.

To clear up confusion in any sorts, these would be commercials that are not aired during Raw/Smackdown/PPVs, something you would see on any basic programming. With the "Entertainment" power WWE has, why not use some of these current Superstars?

I know recently Cena has done a Capri-Sun and Fruity Pebbles commercial, both I actually haven't seen on television (maybe they are aired on nick?). We also have these K-Mart commercials too, but again you see them mainly during wrestling. Maybe I am wrong altogether, but I'm shocked these guys aren't used more.

WWE had a classic campaign with Chef Boyardee with stars like Kane, Big Show, and Mankind. With this #YesMovement coming into play, why not expose Bryan in a new light with 30 second ads for brand name products to spread the WWE image?

This could also help those "Mid-Carders" get a little extra limelight. Ziggler, Zack Ryder, and even Santino could do these types of commercials. End of the day, this can't hurt anyone. It gives WWE more publicity and helps some current Superstars expand their image.

What commercials would you like to see WWE Superstars be in if it could be ANY product?

Thoughts on their current commercials?

I was just watching that Dr. Dre Beats commercial with Kevin Garnett and Richard Sherman which got me thinking, why don't we see WWE Superstars in Brand Commercials? That commercial would be perfect for a Randy Orton, John Cena, or even HHH.

To clear up confusion in any sorts, these would be commercials that are not aired during Raw/Smackdown/PPVs, something you would see on any basic programming. With the "Entertainment" power WWE has, why not use some of these current Superstars?

I know recently Cena has done a Capri-Sun and Fruity Pebbles commercial, both I actually haven't seen on television (maybe they are aired on nick?). We also have these K-Mart commercials too, but again you see them mainly during wrestling. Maybe I am wrong altogether, but I'm shocked these guys aren't used more.

WWE had a classic campaign with Chef Boyardee with stars like Kane, Big Show, and Mankind. With this #YesMovement coming into play, why not expose Bryan in a new light with 30 second ads for brand name products to spread the WWE image?

This could also help those "Mid-Carders" get a little extra limelight. Ziggler, Zack Ryder, and even Santino could do these types of commercials. End of the day, this can't hurt anyone. It gives WWE more publicity and helps some current Superstars expand their image.

What commercials would you like to see WWE Superstars be in if it could be ANY product?

Thoughts on their current commercials?

Not sure whether it has anything to do with the WWE making the decision not to do adverts. Wrestling sits in a very specific market and does not appeal to a large amount of average people...I would say it is more that the marketing firms shy away from using wrestlers in most cases.

John Cena, The Rock, The Miz & even Edge being exceptions to the rule due to their runs on the big and small screen.

Wrestling does have the niche audience, but outsiders still know what wrestling is and who these people are. 2 things that show is the recent Yes chants in stadiums and arenas that aren't hosting wrestling shows and the fact that the WWE title has been recently given out to Professional Sports Athletes who win their respective National Championship.

So there is a sense of the regular population know what WWE is and who they are, I think they can expand and click.

Its up to the actual company, not the WWE, who they want to pitch their products.

This has nothing to do with the WWE missing an opportunity to "push" mid-carders into the mainstream. Which is an absurd concept to begin with.

It's up to the company who makes the product to make that call, and honestly, wrestlers aren't that big of a deal in the mainstream.

Even when wrestling was at its peak, the product endorsements weren't overwhelming. The Mankind - Chef Boyardee commercials were only aired during wrestling programs, in case you didn't know.

To take the leap now to say that Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, and Santino should be spokespeople for products is a bit much.

John Cena got onto a box of fruity pebbles because 1) He's been the face of the company for 10 years, and 2) The Rock called him "fruity pebbles". It was a spur of the moment thing when a marketing exec from General Mils was watching RAW, it wasn't some planned strategy to cross-promote with the WWE.

Also, I"m sorry to tell you, but as over Daniel Bryan is in the WWE, nobody cares out in the real world. A college basketball team getting the crowd to do a YES chant has nothing to do with some cross-over appeal of Bryan himself, it just means that the player(s) like wrestling, and just took that gimmick for themselves for the night.

The WWE would lose total control of their "property" if a large company employed one of their stars..

Scenario A, what if CM Punk became the face of Pepsi 12months ago, promoted around the globe etc., everntually CM Punk Pepsi brand became greater than the CM Punk WWE brand.. Enter contract disputes, "sabbaticals", goes and joins TNA (hey look, that's the pepsi guy). The time could come where the move of lending talent/names could backfire and bite the WWE.

Scenario B, What happens when contract renewals happen and Dolph Ziggler (the face of a multinational shampoo company), wants an extra zero on his contract from the WWE. Does his fame outside add leverage to negotiations?, yes. Vince no longer has complete control over the situation. Exposure, yes, at what cost for them in the long run.

There's no doubt John Cena could be modeling watches, perfume, apparel and countless other items.. At the end of the day, the WWE doesn't make a cent from it.

Under 5 million people watch Raw but over 10 million watch NFL, MLB and NBA a week. So why don't WWE stars do commercials its because WWE is not as popular as the other American sports. WWE is at is lowest point ever for viewership whereas the other are at there highest

WWE doesn't play well with others, everything has to be micromanaged and it's as simple as that. I mean their pitiful excuse for a film division has to have their damn logo on the poster, instead of just making a film subsidiary with a different name, the audience has to be reminded this is a WWE film. Plain and simple.

So if WWE won't let their mainstay wrestlers do stuff outside of their pitiful film division, I see that having an effect on people with the exception of Cena doing anything non-WWE affiliated even if it means helping WWE out in the long run. I will be a WWE Network subscriber, I love soaking up the nostlagia of pro wrestling, but more or less, WWE, the company as we know it today is up its own ass and will cut its nose off to spite its face.

Now I'm not saying that companies are pounding WWE's doors down left and right to recruit its stars for cross-promotion, but knowing WWE's approach to matters, I can see them being complete ***** about things. As it has been par for the course, especially with the laughable notion of its "WWE Films" division.

I don't mean to laugh at the OP, but this question is beyond ridiculous.

Do you really think the average person is going to know who the F HHH is? No. Cena maybe, but even his overall branding isn't as high as top performers in the 4 main sports. And I wouldn't even consider hockey players in there either.

Wrestling does have the niche audience, but outsiders still know what wrestling is and who these people are.

And you know this because? When does a non wrestling household see a wrestler? By chance on a commercial for Smackdown or RAW or a PPV. That's it. Do you really think a big company is going to use Daniel Bryan, Sheamus or someone else only the WWE Universe knows about?

I'm not even going to comment.

Quit thinking wrestling is this huge global phenomenon that a majority of the world knows about and pays attention to just because you watch it. It's not nor will it ever be.

By the way, the idea of Dolph Ziggler being a spokesperson for ANYTHING is laughable. He can barely be a spokesperson for HIMSELF in the company. The guy is absolutely horrible on the mic.

By the way, the idea of Dolph Ziggler being a spokesperson for ANYTHING is laughable. He can barely be a spokesperson for HIMSELF in the company. The guy is absolutely horrible on the mic.

Exactly, the guy's talking is as erratic as his movement in the ring, and it pains me to say that because the guy is a great athlete, no one can deny his prowess and potential in a performance sense. But the way he moves in that ring, he wastes his movements. Guys like Mr. Perfect and Ric Flair always moved with a purpose in the ring, something as simple or mundane looking as a mere stare at an opponent by either Hennig or Flair meant something in the grand scheme of things in the ring.

Ziggler, I just don't see that and his talking definitely leaves something to be desired but at the same time I think there are far bigger stiffs on the mic like Kofi Kingston. At the same time, I can't help but say I am disappointed in someone who has potential like Ziggler.

The Mankind - Chef Boyardee commercials were only aired during wrestling programs, in case you didn't know.

Yes, and can you imagine a person who doesn't know pro wrestling watching that commercial? Even if the viewer isn't familiar with the person in the ad, they might still respond (favorably or not) to the spokesman they're watching on their TV screen. Can you imagine wanting to buy Chef Boy-ar-Dee because Mankind is trying to sell it to you? As a wrestling fan, I loved the character on Monday nights, but in terms of selling ravioli, I can't think of a worse person to do it. Imagine, using a guy who intentionally presents as a slob being used to hawk food products(!)

John Cena is another story. He probably has enough recognition outside pro wrestling to be the shill for product advertising. When it came to Subway, after watching the ad I reasoned that even if I didn't know him, just the sight of that amazing physique and winning personality might compel me to eat fresh.

In all, though, if an advertiser wants to use a recognizable face to sell their stuff, the pro wrestling industry just doesn't produce nearly enough of them to make companies want to use them.

If you're going to produce a commercial for Beats by Dre... or anything like that, and you have the choice between say Colin Kaepernick, Kevin Durant, Miguel Cabrera, and John Cena... as big as Cena is, he will finish DEAD LAST. Not to knock on the NHL, but I'm sure guys like Crosby and Ovechkin would finish above him as well. And of course it has something to do with the viewership, wrestling fans generally are sports fans, but sports fans aren't necessarily wrestling fans. Professional Wrestling gets such a bad rap in the mainstream, it's almost always made fun of and you can even tell, when a Professional Wrestler is on a talk show, or is being interviewed, the host or interviewer knows little to nothing about it, and they end up sounding pretty stupid. Whereas with the MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL the hosts know more about it, and probably take it more seriously so it sounds better.

The mainstream just doesn't take Professional Wrestling seriously... that's the biggest problem.

Like others have said while wrestling is popular, it is not popular enough.Even though a lot of NFL players like wrestling.
When it came to Subway, after watching the ad I reasoned that even if I didn't know him, just the sight of that amazing physique and winning personality might compel me to eat fresh.

:lmao:

To be honest I fully expected to see Cena sing the "5-Dollar Footlong" song whenever Subway does those combination commercials where all of their celebrity endorsers star. But after not seeing him I don't expect it anymore.

But what does get my goat in the same vain, I'd expect WWE to do more advertisements themselves. Especially when pushing the Network. I remember 5 Hour Energy Commercials with Big Show and Kenny Wallace (Nascar driver.) But at the same time WWE was sponsoring that race team.

I'd love for them to get back to that. With Carl Edwards being a WWE fan, Cena friend, Subway celeb....why can't WWE sponsor his car for a race during WrestleMania season. It would be great to have the WWE logo with some superstars on his car.

The WWE would lose total control of their "property" if a large company employed one of their stars..

Scenario A, what if CM Punk became the face of Pepsi 12months ago, promoted around the globe etc., everntually CM Punk Pepsi brand became greater than the CM Punk WWE brand.. Enter contract disputes, "sabbaticals", goes and joins TNA (hey look, that's the pepsi guy). The time could come where the move of lending talent/names could backfire and bite the WWE.

Scenario B, What happens when contract renewals happen and Dolph Ziggler (the face of a multinational shampoo company), wants an extra zero on his contract from the WWE. Does his fame outside add leverage to negotiations?, yes. Vince no longer has complete control over the situation. Exposure, yes, at what cost for them in the long run.

There's no doubt John Cena could be modeling watches, perfume, apparel and countless other items.. At the end of the day, the WWE doesn't make a cent from it.

LL

Lol what the hell are you talking about man?

So many fake businessmen in the WWE Section who don't know what in all FUCK they are talking about lol.

To answer OP, the marketing firms of companies select the people they put in their commercials. Wrestlers aren't really that big of a deal in the main stream outside of the Rocks, Hogans, Cenas of the world.

That being said, I do think that the WWE should send their guys to audition for more commercials, like OP said, something as simple as Cena getting off the tour bus with the Dre Beats or Bryan doing a Doritos commercial where someone gives him a bag of Doritos backstage and he starts chanting "Yes!" on the way to the ring with the crowd joining in could do a lot for the mainstream visibility of their stars and make the wrestlers seem like a bigger deal than they actually are.

the cm punk scenario has happened before... macho jumping to Wcw in 1994 with his Slim JIM endorsement... apperently that cost vince a lot of money.

I could see Cena do adverts for a Gym. Or a fitness system (which I heard somewhere he is or has done?).

One of my many pet peeves in this world is shameless advertising. I prefer not to see celebrities encourage me to buy into a product or service that they barely ever patronize.

Remember when TNA went balls out with advertising for other companies? I'm pretty sure that a few of you saw the Direct Auto Insurance commercials.

[YOUTUBE]xO06-dL0-dY[/YOUTUBE]

So basically, I'm to take insurance advice from a guy whose job is to get beaten up for entertainment purposes.

I remember when Kurt Angle did that thing where he'd knock back a five hour energy before his match and react as if he just had his groin electrocuted. Oh, okay. All that training and discipline is fine, but to succeed as a pro-wrestler you should just drink mass quantities of a drink that will kill you if you drink 35 in one day (seriously, don't fucking do it).

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I've seen WWE performers in commercials for K-Mart. Mind you, K-Mart has been closing hundreds of stores a year due to lack of patronage. I usually get my WWE merchandise off the internet, so I'm not likely to rush to a K-Mart because Miz was in his wrestling tights at a kid's birthday party.

For freak occurrences that don't seem shameless, the fruity pebbles thing for example, I'm okay with it. Macho Man had a good thing going with the Slim Jim deal too, and there's also the odd coincidence where a Slim Jim factory exploded the day his DVD was released. I have a problem with advertising where a pro-wrestler suggests in a serious tone that their position is merit enough for a company's relevance or where a pro-wrestler acts as if the company's services are a crutch for their lack of ability to perform on their own.

Its true that wrestling isnt hugely popular mainstreamwise but when it comes to veterans like taker and even hhh i think most people are at least aware of who they are but when it comes to a lot of the newer guys forget it.im a wwe fan and sometimes i dont recognise some of the wrestlers they just appear and michael cole informs us they are from nxt or whatever and thats it we are meant to just be fans of them after that.at the moment i think the only wrestlers companys would actually want to use in commercials are cena bryan and punk if and when he comes back.

Well if it was meant to be an amusing ad, I could see it. for say...hemorrhoids. Or an antacid (like Larry the Cable Guy). Any product that can be done tongue-in-cheek would be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back