• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why bring Sting to WWE?

While Sting doesn't need the WWE HOF, the WWE HOF doesn't really need Sting either. If Sting never got into the Hall, no one would balk at it because the 1st excuse can always be 'he never wrestled there'. And as long as established WWF/WWE stars (Savage, Sanmartino, Warrior) are still not in, no one can really be mad that Sting isn't in either.

With that said what could benefit WWE:

Credibility by recognizing Steve Borden's contributions despite him never being a member of the roster.

Respect by fans all around (even by some WWE haters) for this recognition.

And of course money, Vince isn't an idiot either. It would add ratings to the USA show & add a few PPV buys. If there is blood in that turnip, Vince will squeeze.

But what does Sting get out of it:

A thank you to from and to his fanbase. The recognition of his achievments in WCW and his impact on the industry as a whole. NWA needed Sting to answer WWF's Hogan in the late 80's. The Flair feud help save that company to make it viable for Ted Turner to go ahead and purchase it...leading to the greatest era in pro-wrestling.

And yes money, which may not be important to him, but he can always use as his career is winding down. Revenue from his HOF appearance can be one hell of a 401k plan.

He doesn't need to wrestle, GM, Host, or anything. Honestly I think Vince would let him do what he wants...carte blance. He could be the timekeeper if he wants, just be there for the ceremony.

And the respect Vince has shown Sting is immense DESPITE the fact that Sting never worked for him. He has rights to all of his NWA/WCW footage...he could've done a 3-disc set YEARS AGO without Sting. He could use Sting's WCW likenesses for video games if he wanted. But he hasn't and I think its out of respect.

Sting is Vince's Moby Dick...the one big get he never got. And I doubt Vince would exploit Steve Borden if/when he did.

But why would Sting want do this. I understand it would be great for the WWE, but I think it takes something way from Sting. One of the think that make Sting so great is the fact he accomplish all that he has without stepping foot in the WWE. Why would he give the WWE the satisfaction of giving him his last stand? Sting gains nothing by coming to the WWE.
I was replying and generally commenting on the poster above me and not necessarily to you.

Anyway, as to what are Sting's potential motives? Hey, people are living longer, social security is crapping out, and we all need to pad our bank accounts –especially in a potentially decades long down economy. What he gets out of it is one last payday (probably a big one) and the chance to actually be remembered by a larger and continued audience moving foward. History, as the saying goes, is written by the victors. As pro-wrestling's '80s–'90s audience shrinks more and more, and the fan-base get younger and younger the only way to ensure your legacy moves forward—at least that is, in the States—in the minds of the current generation is to remain relevant and/or prop up your past glories. Today that means being granted "Legend" status in WWE. To do so Sting would have to, albeit however briefly, partner with WWE.

I say it's win-win. WWE gets Sting and makes a quick buck; Sting gets the payday and legacy promotion of the WWE machine.

I for one hope that we never see Sting in the WWE in any capacity. Maybe a decade ago, when age and injuries had not reduced him to a shadow of his former self, and when he was only recently removed from the end of WCW and therefore still had more relevance to the business than he has today. But not today. I just don't see how this benefits Sting, or the WWE, or professional wrestling as a whole. Much like the Bret Hart return to the WWE had a feel-good moment attached to it in theory, but in actuality did not live up to the hype it generated, I think Sting coming to the WWE would definitely create a buzz amongst the IWC, no doubt about that, but in the end, would play out to be an ultimate disappointment.

WWE does not need Sting. They have plenty of talent as it is. They have enough of the older, established veterans such as Taker, Jericho, or Kane. They also are well equipped with superstars in the prime of their careers, such as Orton, Cena, and Punk. And they have a wealth of up and coming younger talent to step in and lead the company into the next decade, such as Danielson, Miz, or Sheamus. They don't need to make a splash by bringing in a former superstar to boost ratings via shock value, they need to continue on the path they are on now; not perfect by any means, but moving forward in an appropriate manner, rather than digging back into the archives to find something that they already have.

Likewise, Sting doesn't need the WWE either. He's made his money and established himself in the business as much as anyone devoid of WWE tenure can possibly achieve. He has achieved legendary status, especially among the IWC, and an appearance in the WWE, after thumbing his nose at them for numerous years, achieves nothing. Better to have the backbone to stick to his convictions and avoid the WWE, and leave the wrestling fans wondering "what if," rather than jump ship in the twilight of his career, and leave the wrestling fans wondering "that's it?"

Not only should he not appear in the WWE as an active wrestler, but he has no business setting foot anywhere near the WWE Hall of Fame either. That's an honor which should be reserved for those guys who spent all of their energy (or at least a lot of it) fighting for the WWE, rather than fighting against it.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever see Mr. Borden in the WWE. I don't think Vince will come calling at this point, and even if he did, I imagine Sting would continue to say "thanks but no thanks." And even though Vince has the ownership and technical ability to induct Sting into the WWE Hall of Fame, I don't think he'll do so, even in Atlanta at WM27. And if Sting is the man of principle that he appears to be, he wouldn't accept such an offer even if it was to be forthcoming.

Sting was the franchise of WCW Id like to see him get the ultiimate props for his accomplishments in the ring, Sting is an Icon and a Legend and plus he's just Da Man!! Being a part of WCW IMO makes him eligable, I think he'd do it if for anything for the fans

I don't think Sting has any special hate for McMahon, he just never worked for WWE. It is unusual for a wrestler of his stature to have never been in the top company. But that's just how circumstances turned out for him. Probably more chance than anything. I don't see why Sting couldn't be in the HOF one day. If the location, timing, money etc. is right, it could happen.

I think it wouldnt do any harm having a name like Sting in the Hall even though he never worked for WWE. Verne Gagne never worked for the WWE but does that mean he doesn't deserve to be rewarded for his accomplishments. Same for Peter Maivia and Gordon Solie for that matter. Limited if and involvement in WWE but their in the hall because they did great things for the industry. Besides if thats not enough to convince you he should considered remember Pete Rose and William Perry are in their. Sting can be their if those guys are.

I for one would love to see Sting have a match against the Undertaker at WrestleMania 27. With rumors stating that WWE wants Sting in the Hall of Fame this would be the best time for the match to happen. If they don't have the match I would be okay with him just being inducted in the HoF. Sting is a big name and could draw a lot of older wrestling fans back to the current product.

I have no problem with Sting being inducted into the Hall Of The Fame. He is a legend in pro wrestling, and he surely deserves a spot in the Hall Of Fame. But I don't want to see Undertaker VS Sting at Wrestlemania. Taker is VERY banged up, and Sting is not in the best shape either, so I'm sure the match wouldn't be something to remember. I'm sure a lot of wrestling fans would be foaming at the mouth if these two stepped inside the same ring, but I don't expect these two to give us a classic match.

It would be great to see Sting inducted into the Hall Of Fame, but I wouldn't want to see a match with Taker at Wrestlemania.

At this point in Sting's career it would be an amazing send-off for the Icon. However I wouldnt see Sting as wrestling, more an on-screen personality. Similar to what Bret Hart is just now, but just not wrestling.

Would also be the icing on the cake for Vince as he could say....

Finally......... Vincent Kennedy McMahon ..... introduces to you..... the one wrestler that he never could before ...... I give you.... The Icon....... Sting!!

Vince wants to own everything.Plan and simple.The fact that he got WCW and all their talent(Booker, Steiner, Goldberg nWo etc)but never got Sting is the reason behind all ths.I have no problem with Sting going into the H.O.F, but the idea of a Sting/Taker match is stupid.Sting is now a mere shell of the shell he used to be.If they were ever going to work a match, it should have happened in 2003.Kane vs. Taker will look like HBK vs. Angle when compared to the monstrousity we wud see if Taker had to wrestle Sting

Sting never needed Vince. He still doesn't. If anything between the two parties happens, it's to benefit both. Sting would be interesting in some ways, just for the spectacle of it (which is all that's needed if it's a short, farewell run). Sting would get some retirement money and potentially a decent DVD package and the money from that.

Also, the Hall of Fame would be a nice ending to a beautiful career.

Why? Why not?

I don't know from a entertainment perspective. STING SUCKS!!!!!!
when he was the good guy, surfer style b4 he went Crow Sting, i liked his style.
from another standpoint, like Undertaker, Sting is the conscience of WCW/TNA he was loyal to the very end, so thats a bonus for anyone who gets him.

He was pretty much WCW's answer to Hulkamania with a Bret Hart style well b4 Bret Hart ever went main event.

From a business standpoint.
A) they want to do a WCW HOF and he was a big player in WCW, ergo they want him. doesn't take a genius to realise that
B) He's one guy they've never convinced that , in the words of Ted Dibiase "Everyone has a price"
C) Who knows bringing him in would at the very least get some people to watch WWE that might have otherwised only watched WCW and or TNA.

There's no way he can compete in ring, nor can Kevin Nash, they are washed up and in the case of Kevin Nash, he's a bad egg and exemplifies nWo much like the real Hulk Hogan. Bring them in chuck on one or two matches, induct them to the Hall of Fame then get rid of em, put them on legends contracts, make money off merchandising.

How would Sting going to WWE bring his career full circle?? He didnt begin his career there, so it would just be continuing his already passed by used by date career. Sting should be inducted into the Hall of Fame yes, no argument there, as Vince has inducted guys like Verne Gagne who didnt wrestle for WWE and was a mortal enemy. Sting could accept, give a speech on his career and leave without having to sell his soul to Vince McMahon. If he decided he would like to make an on camera appearance at Wrestlemania 27, then that would be his choice, but he wont wrestle a match in WWE

from what I remember back when WCW closed down, some sited Sting's deeply christian belief as a reason he didn't want to work with the WWE/McMahon, because of alot of their late 90s-2000s segments and angles that would be considered anti christian.
If Sting really did have a change of heart and make a surprise run for the WWE there would have to be either a money or a pride issue, he is very loyal too whatever company he had worked for. UWF, WCW, TNA, not to many can claim that they never worked for the WWE in any time period or era. Its like Sting and Abdullah the Butcher...

Sting is one of those few people who always have an open door at the WWE.

It really does come down to his decision. I have seen the interview where he said he wanted no part of the WWE, It wouldnt surprise me if he accepted his induction into the HOF but i doubt we will ever see a match.

Though all he would have to do is say, I want a match, and he would get one. Shame is I hear he always wanted to wrestle Michaels, because they are God Buddies.

from what I remember back when WCW closed down, some sited Sting's deeply christian belief as a reason he didn't want to work with the WWE/McMahon, because of alot of their late 90s-2000s segments and angles that would be considered anti christian.
If Sting really did have a change of heart and make a surprise run for the WWE there would have to be either a money or a pride issue, he is very loyal too whatever company he had worked for. UWF, WCW, TNA, not to many can claim that they never worked for the WWE in any time period or era. Its like Sting and Abdullah the Butcher...

I'm sorry but anyone who's in the businss of "wrestling" and is deeply religious is a hipocrit even at it's most PG wrestling still portrays more anti-religious ideals then not. If they were truly religious they wouldn't even be there in the first place and if they did they couldn't fight nor would they go for world titles or speak ill of others. All of that is portraying anti-religious stuff

Sting is no different, to say he's deeply religious is laughable. He's portrayed some of the most evil acts on camera in a "wrestling" show

Sting has had an amazing career. I think it shows how big of a star he is, is that for someone who has never been in WWE/F, that a lot of fans, wrestlers & possibly Vince himself think he deserves a spot.

I grew up watching Sting (in his "surfer" days). And he like few others has had longevity. It's good for everyone.

Sting will get money out of it. WWE's Hall of Fame will look more credible (seriously, why the celebs?) as a Hall of Fame of sports Entertainment. And with the inductions of Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, Antonio Inoki - it shows that HOF is about Sports Entertainment over all not just what happened under Vince's watch.

As a long time Stinger fan, I'd love for him to have a Wrestlemania match. Though not against The Undertaker.

Why should Sting come to WWE for a possible Hall of Fame induction? Why not? He's a legend and was in WCW, which WWE now owns. He could be put in for that alone. He would not have to do a run or a single angle in WWE, as I know some people wouldn't like that due to him being so against ever joining the federation. They need more legends in the Hall of Fame and less guys that they randomly put in there just to make an annual HOF class bigger. Sting more than deserves to get in, despite never setting foot in a WWE ring. I'm all for him getting inducted because they could honor his career without him setting foot in the ring at WWE. However I'm against him being involved with angles such as the mystery GM or facing Taker or any other WWE storyline. He could get inducted but still stick to his guns of never joining WWE. They would just be honoring his legendary career for what he did in WCW, NWA, and possibly even TNA. I wouldn't be surprised if he boycots the HOF too though just for it being associated with WWE who is still firmly against.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back