Who will be Wrestlemania 33 opponents for....

d_henderson1810

Mid-Card Championship Winner
1) Dean Ambrose
2) A.J. Styles

I'm tipping these matches at WM33.

WWE Title-John Cena (c) v The Undertaker
WWE Universal Title-Kevin Owens (c) v Chris Jericho
WWE U.S. Title Match-Roman Reigns(c) v Braun Strowman
Seth Rollins v Triple H
Goldberg v Brock Lesnar III
A RAW Women's Title Match
A SD Women's Title Match
A RAW Tag-Team Title Match
A SD Tag-Team Title Match
Andre Battle Royal
WWE IC 6-Man Ladder Match

These are eleven matches. WM usually has 9-10 matches. There will probably be a Cruiserweight Match as well. Don't forget the musical number, the Rock eating up 40 minutes, and other time-wasting segments.

But what about Ambrose and Styles? Who will they fight?

Will they fight each other again? The problem is, we have seen that already. Unless it is a stip match, then we have seen the match before.

The only other match I can see them being in is the IC 6-Man Ladder Match. But, then, this is a step down for either of them.

I don't want to see either of them fight James Elsworth at WM33 either.

So, who will these guys have as WM33 opponents, or will they fight each other again?

I really don't think Cena vs Taker will be for the title because, let's face it, they don't need the title in that match to draw interest. If Cena wins the title at the Rumble, I see him laying down the challenge the following Smackdown to The Undertaker for Wrestlemania. Cena then loses the title back to Styles in the Elimination Chamber due to Taker costing him and solidifying the match at Wrestlemania.

I can see Ambrose being in the IC title match. I can see a Styles face turn following his match with Cena at the Rumble. Styles turns face slowly leading up to Elimination Chamber. After he wins the title back, Miz challenges Styles at Wrestlemania.

I think Miz will be in the WWE Championship picture at Wrestlemania unless Daniel Bryan is cleared for one more match.

You left Orton and Bray off your card, I don't know if you forgot to put them together or you assume they're going into either the Tag Team/IC Title matches. Either way, I don't think they're likely opponents for AJ or Dean.

I've mentioned before that I'm quite worried for AJ at WrestleMania, champion or not his list of challengers is short and not all that impressive assuming that both Cena/Taker and Orton/Wyatt happen. There's really only two options I see (neither of which I really want) and I'll explain that further below.

Now using your card, assuming a IC Ladder Match happens, I don't necessarily think it would be that big of a step down for Ambrose. He's currently in a feud over the Intercontinental Championship (which he could win and then he's in their by default), plus being surrounded with guys like Miz, Luke Harper, Baron or Ziggler (the other facing *sigh*... AJ), and maybe even an Apollo Crews if they build him a little better, it could be a match that features mostly legitimate contenders. Plus, let's not act like Ambrose's star hasn't fallen just a tiny bit in the past few months, the Ladder Match seems perfect with him being the biggest threat.

I'm not sold on the Cena Sixteen just yet, because I'm hoping AJ holds the belt going into WrestleMania. I like to think that his journeyman status along with an amazing year in WWE, first year or not, earns him the nod from Creative. And with that being said, I'm hoping for AJ Styles vs Randy Orton for the WWE Title. Orton can conclude the Wyatt angle after winning the Rumble, and build vs AJ from there.

Failing that, I see AJ vs Dean happening again, but a different permutation. I suspect Shield vs Club. Granted, this match has already lost a lot of lustre due to Gallows and Anderson's lack of any positive momentum, but there's still a few months to repair that, if WWE wants to go in that direction.

I suspect Ambrose will be involved in the IC title ladder match, if they have it again at WrestleMania, as I don't see his program with Miz being a short one. If there's not going to be an IC title ladder match, then I see Ambrose taking on Miz for the title or being part of some other multi man match for the title.

My gut tells me, plus I'm also hoping, that Styles retails at the Royal Rumble and that he goes into WrestleMania as champion. He's been great as champion and has genuinely been a major standout in WWE for 2016, so I think he's earned the right to walk into the biggest show of the year WWE Champion. I could see Cena winning #16 at SummerSlam this year, the anniversary of the event where Styles definitively proved that he can beat Cena if they go for Taker vs. Cena for WrestleMania.

As for who Styles faces...I'm not really certain. It's possible Samoa Joe could be brought up from NXT for the Royal Rumble and wind up feuding with Styles. If they decided not to go with Taker vs. Cena, then Cena taking on Styles in sort of a one last chance type of situation and winning the show on the biggest stage of the year would probably be going down.

As has been stated in a few other threads by others, I agree with the notion that Taker vs. Cena doesn't need the WWE Championship. If anything, it'd probably give away the ending of the match months ahead of time because Taker can no longer work anything approaching a full time schedule.

How about just do a Shield reunion 6 man tag? I don't think anyone is really getting excited for a Roman Reigns singles match at this point. The Rollins-HHH thing has been in stall mode for months. There's nothing for Dean to do. A Shield reunion becomes a special thing to draw people's interest into Mania. Reunite them against HHH and have HHH handpick Strowman as his enforcer. Maybe too late to have HHH start showing up on Smackdown and supporting AJ as one of "his guys", but it's possible. I'm hoping AJ is still champion at Mania anyway. In that case, find someone else to be HHH's other partner.

Also, I was recently watching WM 7.....14 matches! Trim the fat. Nobody cares about the musical segments. Ever. It's 2017, there are no musical acts out there that a large amount of your audience will want to see. People's listening habits are incredibly segmented these days. And a long Rock or Austin or any legend non wrestling appearance has been done to death the last few years, it's not really a special thing at this point. No reason why we can't have 12-14 matches with that amount of time.

I'm not sold on the Cena Sixteen just yet, because I'm hoping AJ holds the belt going into WrestleMania. I like to think that his journeyman status along with an amazing year in WWE, first year or not, earns him the nod from Creative. And with that being said, I'm hoping for AJ Styles vs Randy Orton for the WWE Title. Orton can conclude the Wyatt angle after winning the Rumble, and build vs AJ from there.

Failing that, I see AJ vs Dean happening again, but a different permutation. I suspect Shield vs Club. Granted, this match has already lost a lot of lustre due to Gallows and Anderson's lack of any positive momentum, but there's still a few months to repair that, if WWE wants to go in that direction.

I can see Shield vs Club at Summerslam. Not Wrestlemania when you have a potential Triple H vs Seth Rollins match that's going to be 8 months in the making at that point.

I think Miz loses the belt to Ambrose at the Rumble. At Elimination Chamber, he secures the #1 Contender to the WWE Championship and faces AJ Styles at Wrestlemania. A different match than AJ has had, and right now, Miz might be the best heel on the Smackdown roster. I can see an AJ face turn leading into the match.

Ambrose in the IC Title ladder match isn't a bad spot for him because it's a championship match at Wrestlemania. You'd have likely Ambrose, Ziggler, Harper, Corbin, Crews and Heath Slater.

Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton will likely face off at Wrestlemania, unless one or both of them is in the WWE Championship match, which I doubt.

You're likely looking at:

Cena vs Taker
Lesnar vs Goldberg
Rollins vs Triple H
Owens vs Jericho - Universal Championship
AJ Styles vs The Miz - WWE Championship
Bayley vs Charlotte - WWE Raw Women's Championship
Alexa Bliss vs Becky Lynch vs Mickie James - WWE Smackdown Women's Championship
IC Title Ladder Match
Reigns vs Strowman - WWE US Championship
New Day vs Cesaro/Sheamus vs Enzo/Cass vs Gallows/Anderson - WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
American Alpha vs (Hopefully) The Revival - WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
Raw vs Smackdown women's tag team match
Cruiserweight championship Match

I can see the first 11 matches being on the main card, with the battle royal and women's tag match on the preshow along with the Cruiserweight Championship. I'd love to see The Revival come up after the rumble and challenge American Alpha as the tag team competition on Smackdown is terrible right now after them. The Usos are the only option on the show who I think could work with them well right now unless the Ascencion gets a push.

How about just do a Shield reunion 6 man tag? I don't think anyone is really getting excited for a Roman Reigns singles match at this point. The Rollins-HHH thing has been in stall mode for months. There's nothing for Dean to do. A Shield reunion becomes a special thing to draw people's interest into Mania. Reunite them against HHH and have HHH handpick Strowman as his enforcer. Maybe too late to have HHH start showing up on Smackdown and supporting AJ as one of "his guys", but it's possible. I'm hoping AJ is still champion at Mania anyway. In that case, find someone else to be HHH's other partner.

Also, I was recently watching WM 7.....14 matches! Trim the fat. Nobody cares about the musical segments. Ever. It's 2017, there are no musical acts out there that a large amount of your audience will want to see. People's listening habits are incredibly segmented these days. And a long Rock or Austin or any legend non wrestling appearance has been done to death the last few years, it's not really a special thing at this point. No reason why we can't have 12-14 matches with that amount of time.

I think 11 matches is more reasonable this year. But give them time to work. I want to see Owens/Jericho get time. I want to see American Alpha, AJ Styles etc get time to really work their matches.

Instead of loading up 12-14 matches, give me 11 awesome matches with back and forth action.

No more Ambrose/Lesnar from last year.

I can see Shield vs Club at Summerslam. Not Wrestlemania when you have a potential Triple H vs Seth Rollins match that's going to be 8 months in the making at that point.

I think Miz loses the belt to Ambrose at the Rumble. At Elimination Chamber, he secures the #1 Contender to the WWE Championship and faces AJ Styles at Wrestlemania. A different match than AJ has had, and right now, Miz might be the best heel on the Smackdown roster. I can see an AJ face turn leading into the match.

Ambrose in the IC Title ladder match isn't a bad spot for him because it's a championship match at Wrestlemania. You'd have likely Ambrose, Ziggler, Harper, Corbin, Crews and Heath Slater.

Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton will likely face off at Wrestlemania, unless one or both of them is in the WWE Championship match, which I doubt.

You're likely looking at:

Cena vs Taker
Lesnar vs Goldberg
Rollins vs Triple H
Owens vs Jericho - Universal Championship
AJ Styles vs The Miz - WWE Championship
Bayley vs Charlotte - WWE Raw Women's Championship
Alexa Bliss vs Becky Lynch vs Mickie James - WWE Smackdown Women's Championship
IC Title Ladder Match
Reigns vs Strowman - WWE US Championship
New Day vs Cesaro/Sheamus vs Enzo/Cass vs Gallows/Anderson - WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
American Alpha vs (Hopefully) The Revival - WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
Raw vs Smackdown women's tag team match
Cruiserweight championship Match

I can see the first 11 matches being on the main card, with the battle royal and women's tag match on the preshow along with the Cruiserweight Championship. I'd love to see The Revival come up after the rumble and challenge American Alpha as the tag team competition on Smackdown is terrible right now after them. The Usos are the only option on the show who I think could work with them well right now unless the Ascencion gets a push.

That looks like a reasonable card, though it's hard to see Sasha Banks not even being on the card after the year she's had. She's popular enough and a good enough performer to warrant a Mania match even if she's not in one of the title matches, in my opinion. I'd rather see her vs. someone in a solid singles match instead of just sticking a pointless divas tag match on the card like they used to always do. Or maybe even a fatal fourway number 1 contenders match or someone if they want to get more of them on the card.

I think 11 matches is more reasonable this year. But give them time to work. I want to see Owens/Jericho get time. I want to see American Alpha, AJ Styles etc get time to really work their matches.

Instead of loading up 12-14 matches, give me 11 awesome matches with back and forth action.

No more Ambrose/Lesnar from last year.

Yeah, I would agree with that. Just hate feeling like there's not enough in ring action at a Wrestlemania. 11 matches with them all getting enough time would be great. I think the roster is certainly deep enough to have 11 worthwhile matches, if they do things right and use their time well.

What is this obsession of underflaker vs cena at wm33? They already fought half a dozen of times! And I don't see this happening at all! The matches are such a snooze fest so far for wrestlecrap 33 not one stands out great!

Big Slow vs Shaq
WWE Title-John Cena (c) v AJ Styles v The Miz
The Undertaker v Sting
Seth Rollins v Triple H
A SD Women's Title Match
Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton or Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton vs American Alphas
Andre Battle Royal

You left Orton and Bray off your card, I don't know if you forgot to put them together or you assume they're going into either the Tag Team/IC Title matches. Either way, I don't think they're likely opponents for AJ or Dean.

I've mentioned before that I'm quite worried for AJ at WrestleMania, champion or not his list of challengers is short and not all that impressive assuming that both Cena/Taker and Orton/Wyatt happen. There's really only two options I see (neither of which I really want) and I'll explain that further below.

Now using your card, assuming a IC Ladder Match happens, I don't necessarily think it would be that big of a step down for Ambrose. He's currently in a feud over the Intercontinental Championship (which he could win and then he's in their by default), plus being surrounded with guys like Miz, Luke Harper, Baron or Ziggler (the other facing *sigh*... AJ), and maybe even an Apollo Crews if they build him a little better, it could be a match that features mostly legitimate contenders. Plus, let's not act like Ambrose's star hasn't fallen just a tiny bit in the past few months, the Ladder Match seems perfect with him being the biggest threat.

The New Wyatts are currently SD Tag-Team Champions, and I mentioned that match.

Unless you mean Randy Orton versus Bray Wyatt at WM33, which is a way they can go as well.

The New Wyatts are currently SD Tag-Team Champions, and I mentioned that match.

Unless you mean Randy Orton versus Bray Wyatt at WM33, which is a way they can go as well.
I guess that you didn't watch the last Smackdown Live of 2016. The one which saw three title matches. Alexa Bliss' Women Title, AJ Styles' WWE Title and Wyatt's Tag Titles too. The Wyatts lost the tag titles to American Alpha in a multi-tag team match at that episode of Smackdown Live.

Randy Orton Vs. Bray Wyatt could happen at Wrestlemania 33 probably. It could happen at Royal Rumble too.

What is this obsession of underflaker vs cena at wm33? They already fought half a dozen of times! And I don't see this happening at all! The matches are such a snooze fest so far for wrestlecrap 33 not one stands out great!

Big Slow vs Shaq
WWE Title-John Cena (c) v AJ Styles v The Miz
The Undertaker v Sting
Seth Rollins v Triple H
A SD Women's Title Match
Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton or Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton vs American Alphas
Andre Battle Royal

I would love to see all those cena vs taker matches that you are writing about because I've been watching wwe for over 30 years now and I only see those guys wrestled each other one or twice on smackdown years ago. I think it's a fresh mach as far as a fantasy match is concern but from what I've read, they might not evn go that direction anymore and place roman reigns in that position since this is probably taker's last match and it doesn't serve a purpose if you put him against cena.

1) Dean Ambrose
2) A.J. Styles

I'm tipping these matches at WM33.

WWE Title-John Cena (c) v The Undertaker
Seth Rollins v Triple H
A SD Women's Title Match
A SD Tag-Team Title Match
Andre Battle Royal

These are eleven matches. WM usually has 9-10 matches. There will probably be a Cruiserweight Match as well. Don't forget the musical number, the Rock eating up 40 minutes, and other time-wasting segments.

But what about Ambrose and Styles? Who will they fight?

Will they fight each other again? The problem is, we have seen that already. Unless it is a stip match, then we have seen the match before.

The only other match I can see them being in is the IC 6-Man Ladder Match. But, then, this is a step down for either of them.

I don't want to see either of them fight James Elsworth at WM33 either.

So, who will these guys have as WM33 opponents, or will they fight each other again?

You missed Shaq v Big Show which is pretty much a lock.

This is the year I see MITB returning to being a Mania match rather than a PPV... as having it a brand only PPV limits the drama unless there is a direct equivalent (like King Of The Ring) on the other brand. I can see Ambrose, Ziggler, Styles, Balor, Rusev, Corbin & a returning Shelton Benjamin as the surprise entrant. The IC multi-match has run its course for now, there could be a triple threat for the US though. Balor has his "rematch" in the bag from before so I think AJ steals it...

A lot of the cruisers will go into the Andre Battle Royale, but I can see Jack Gallagher v Neville being on the Kick-off show for the title - seems they are pushing Jack as the challenger to Neville, so it's a hot feud in time for the post Mania tour of the UK.... Jack loses at Mania but wins on RAW in England.

I see the card breaking down as

Kick-Off Show

Jack Gallagher vs Neville (c) for the Cruiserweight title.

American Alpha (c) v The Arrival (Arrival win on their debut)

Main Show

Opener

Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton (Bray goes over at Mania at last...)

Andre The Giant Battle Royale (Golden Truth, Shining Stars, Kalisto, Sin Cara, Zack Ryder, Rich Swann, TJ Perkins, Titus, Apollo Crews, Bobby Roode, No Way Jose, Mojo Rawley, Mark Henry, Carlito & KURT ANGLE!

Yep, Kurt returns and wins for a feel good Mania moment, eliminating Bobby Roode (making his main roster debut) to win and setting up a feud for them on the main roster.

Charlotte & Alexa Bliss v Bayley & Mickie James (If either champion is pinned, they lose their title.) This would be an interesting wrinkle rather than two title matches... have Charlotte and Alexa team up but Foley and Bryan put their heads together and make sure their challengers can't be screwed... Bayley pins Charlotte after Alexa "accidentally" takes her out... she loses her PPV streak and of course it means the Raw v Smacdown element is back at the end of the match.

US Title
Roman Reigns (c) v Braun Strowman v Sami Zayn (Elimination)

After Zayn's decimation, I can see Strowman being eliminated from the Rumble when Sami returns, continuing their feud... Strowman is now #1 contender to the US title and Foley makes sure that Sami is included in this match against Steph's wishes... Allows Reigns to be friendly with Zayn, but have that classic miscommunication stuff that costs him a loss in the run up to the match etc and Sami gets a shock pinfall on Reigns, but Strowman takes it.

Shaq v Big Show

Instead of a 40 minute Rock segment, we'll likely get this with the hoopla... The match itself will be minutes, but the build and pomp will be loooong. I am guessing if they're gonna have Rocky show up, it's as special guest ref here...

IC Title vs NXT Title
The Miz Vs Shinsuke Nakamura

A resolution to the Bryan/Miz feud without Bryan needing to wrestle... Bryan goes to Regal, his former mentor and makes a deal... If Shinsuke can win the IC title from Miz, he can also defend it on NXT... if Miz loses, he must go to NXT for a year... This is a solid match but a clusterfuck ending... Miz hires Samoa Joe to help make sure he doesn't lose... while Ambrose also gets involved as he's still "feuding with Miz" Nakamura wins by DQ. This is the angle that probably sees Bryan move on from being GM and get into the ring one last time at Summerslam against the Miz... Shane will be pissed that he made such a deal and it ended as it did... Miz is made to go to NXT for a few weeks till his lawyers overturn it etc...

Goldberg v Lesnar III

Short, Lesnar doesn't quite destroy Goldberg, but the win is decisive.

Triple H v Seth Rollins
This match is quickly becoming an albatross around both guys necks... does anyone REALLY want to see it? It'll be the usual Trips match, battle of the Pedigrees... I could see them being radical and allowing Rollins one last Curb Stomp to win the match... if this is gonna happen Trips career has to be on the line or it's pointless.

MITB as described above

Kevin Owens (c) v Chris Jericho

Jericho splits the friendship forever by eliminating last man Kevin Owens in the Royal Rumble to win it... In February the two go back and forth as to who is the "face" in the situation before Owens goes underhanded, setting Jericho up for one last Mania main event as the A-List face he should always have been. If he doesn't win the title, he has to leave the WWE forever. He does... but loses it to Balor the next night in a triple threat with Owens where both get their rematches.... Might seem a waste, but it's a good send off for Jericho, who then disappears for the rest of the year after Owens "injures him" and pretty much goes into the HOF the following year having done it all....maybe, just maybe they let him wrestle at Mania 34 and win the 10th IC title too, especially if Miz is on 9 reigns by then...

Main Event

Cena (c) v Undertaker - Last Man Standing Match

As tempting as a Hell in A Cell would be, it's been done to death now for Taker... This needs to be for the title, it needs to be a Last Man Standing Match and Cena wins... the end of Taker's career happens here, with a loss but it takes every ounce of Cena and his facedom... He goes full heel in this match out of desperation... It also sets up the "can Cena ever come back from the darkness?" story for the next few months.

As for Ambrose... I actually don't care who he faces. He can face his potted plant. He bores the bejesus out of me.

The one that intrigues me is Styles. If I were a betting man... AJ's opponent is not on Raw or Smackdown right now. I'm going to throw my money on Kurt Angle. He just serves so many purposes on Smackdown. One more quick title run. Feud with AJ. Somewhat of a mouthpiece/ambassador for American Alpha. Some star power. Doesn't NEED to be there weekly. I would just like to see AJ/Angle for the title. Cena doesn't NEED his 16th title right now. Make him chase it. Cena/Taker doesn't NEED the title. Which of course if it's not for the title, that almost makes Jericho the winner of the Rumble. Then you can let Jericho deciding which champion he wants to face burn for a few weeks. This also buys a little more time on Smackdown where AJ continues to hold the title, claims nobody "on the roster" can beat him, Angle comes into the fold, and Cena says if he's not in the title match, he wants the biggest dog in the yard. Then you can build Cena/Taker on nothing but respect and wanting to beat each other. Sets both matches up quite well.

The roster isn't a whole lot different this year as opposed to last year. Rollins is back. Throw Goldberg into the fold. Maybe bring up Joe. Bring in Angle. There you have it. But as for the way things would possibly shake out... this does have the potential to be a really damn good Mania. Top 5 good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back