When's the last time you were genuinely surprised by a WWE storyline/twist..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcorleone

Dark Match Winner
Where you thought 'Wow! I didn't see that one coming!'. Every week I watch Raw hoping i'll see something that'll make me think 'damn! how did they think that one up??'.

I know it's harder now, with alot of stuff being leaked to websites and forums like this. But it just feels like every storyline is being written with absolute minimal effort.

WWE storylines remind me of when I was at school, and I had to write a story for an English essay. I'd come up with a decent idea, but i'd rush the ending because I either lost my initial motivation, or I had to hand it in to the teacher before the deadline.

When I was younger I watched WWE from 1999-2002. Back then it felt like they were keeping you on your toes, like you didn't know what would happen next. I don't know whether that was because I was alot more naive or not, but since I started watching it again, after Wrestlemania 25 there really hasn't been much that I couldn't have predicted before the show.

The only moment that's really shocked me is Sheamus winning the title, by putting Cena through a table. Which seeing as it was a two horse race, it shouldn't have really been that surprising...

I didn't expect Matt to turn on Jeff at the Royal rumble.

I was fully expecting Christian to be the one who was attacking Jeff in the months prior due to all the internet rumors. I remember reading a possibility that Matt would be the one but I just kinda shrugged it off. I was certain Christian would be the one, especially since Edge was in the storyline.

you are spot on about no surprises anymore. it has a lot to do with these kind of sites. if you arent part of the iwc then you possibly are surprised by things that take place, but its hard when you know the dirt. i think maybe when cena showed up at the rumble, that was a pretty well kept secret since we all thought he was out for another few months at least. besides that, i'd have to go back to the attitude era myself...maybe when vince was found out to be the higher power. im sure theres something im forgetting but i havent been surprised by anything the wwe's done in quite sometime and ive been watching for 20 plus years. its just almost impossible to keep things quiet now days. maybe when jericho won the title from batista on raw? maybe not, i cant remember if batista was hurt and we all read that was going to happen that night. for all the entertainment i get by reading spoilers and news, theres part of me that thinks if i didn't id enjoy the product a lot more than i have for the past few years.

I didn't expect Matt to turn on Jeff at the Royal

Seriously? Matt looses the ECW Title on the same time frame as Jeff winning the WWE title. I kind of saw something coming.

Probably the twist I never saw coming was Edge cashing in the MITB at New Years's Revolution 2006. That was totally unexpected and a mark out moment.

It is sad that twists and surprises are rare in wrestling nowadays, but we must take some of the blame. After all, spoilers and proposed story ideas are all over this website.

However, the last time I was legitimately surprised was John Cena's Royal Rumble return in 2008. Cena had torn his pectoral muscle earlier in 2007 and was expected to be out for at least a year. Stories were run in news outlets with Cena interviews, stating his rehab was going on schedule and he was looking for a late 2008 return. When the clock was ticking for #30, no one knew who to expect. When Cena's music hit, the audience at Madison Square Garden erupted, and I was screaming at home in disbelief.

This swerve was well handled by Cena and WWE. In an era of spoilers and leaks, it was a great surprise and shock.

The last time I saw a twist was as thebusiness stated above, Matt turning on Jeff. It really felt like Jeff was going to win the whc when suddenly out of the blue, Matt hits Jeff. I thought this was the biggest surprise I have seen recently.

the biggest twist that got me excited was when jericho got totally smashed by shawn michaels in the non sanctioned match at unforgiven 08 then comes out to win the championship scramble with literally no effort at all... i really didn't see it coming. i remember getting home from school going straight to wwe.com to get the results and was heartbroken when Y2J lost but then when i noticed he'd turned it all around in typical jericho fashion i was super excited

There's been a few moments in recent years that have surprised me, but most of them got no more of a reaction from me than something along the lines of "Hmmmm, cool". Now, the last time something surprised me so much that I 100% never saw coming and got a loud reaction out of me, was in 2008 when CM Punk gave Edge a taste of his own medicine by cashing in MITB when Edge was in no condition to defend his world title.

That was such an awesome moment because it was Punk's first world title AND something I never saw coming. I thought it was just Edge coming to Raw and taking the world title with him back to Smackdown, then Batista got his "revenge" for a loss at a PPV, then out of nowhere comes CM Punk and cashes in MITB, Edge style, AGAINST EDGE! It was awesone and such a cool surprise that I would have never expected.

Other than that one, and Cena's return at the Royal Rumble in 08, nothing else has really surprised me enough to get a really loud reaction out of me. WWE needs to have more cool surprises like these, especially at PPV's. There's not enough of them anymore and it would benefit the federation to have more because it creates more fan interest in PPV's if they are more likely to see something they are not expecting. It wouldn't hurt to see a few on Raw or Smackdown every now and then either.

well I kinda blame these sites for no suprises anymore I try my best not to get on them because I do enjoy it alot better when not knowing the out come with that being said there were times I was suprised over the last 2 yrs I think I've been using sites like this if it was on sites like these I just never read them like when edge came out at survivor series and won the WWE Title theres more but I'm just going to stick with one right now

The reason there aren't any good surprises can't just be blamed on the internet, but also from predictable booking. They practically spell it out for you which kills the element of the swerve. Yeah Matt turning on Jeff surprised me, but imo it was the wrong move, it made no sense at that point, and as a result the feud flopped. I do have to say my last surprise was Bret not taking revenge for the screwjob. I really thought he was going to mess with DX and their titles, but the closure angle, jury is still out, will hopefully playout better than the revenge angle when its all said and done!!!

I am surprised every time I turn on a WWE show.

Why? How is that possible?

I watch the show to be entertained, not to critique every aspect of it and to shit all over the matches. I don't sit at home trying to figure out what the next move is or who is going to win a match or who is going to turn face or heel. I sit at home, watching what the wrestlers put on for me. Sometimes they win and I am entertained. Sometimes they lose, and I'm not. Both cases are a win/win, lose/lose respectively, so of course I'm going to give them every part of my being to help them win.

Try watching Smackdown without calling every move that's going to executed, every promo that is going to be said, and every match that is going to be set up for the PPV. Watch it like you're actually a fan, not a bitchy middle aged man wishing he could see some more side boob and sex jokes. You'll be plenty entertained.

The last time I was genuinely surprised by a wrestling show was... Hmm! It was all but last night.

You see, I had an epiphany last night and I think it sums up why I have not been enjoying watching wrestling any more. You see, unlike Razor, I knew all of the swerves that were coming and I feel that wrestling has become very predictable over the last few years. With that being said, last night was a pretty big shock for me. Having Randy Orton go over Cena was not something that I expected to happen and because no matches had been announced, I actually really enjoyed the show. I understand that with information being easier to access than ever before and man's obsession with knowing everything, that it is becoming harder to keep the shows under wraps and as such detracts from the actual show.

However, last night was the exception. I was pleasantly surprised by the show last night and it was topped off by Orton going over Kingston and Cena. I was also happy that another heel won the match and will be going up against a heel, that could end in a beautifully orchestrated angle. With all of that being said, I feel as though I am going to try and avoid as many spoilers as I can. I think that it helps me enjoy the show more and last night was genuinely the first time in a while that I could say I was shocked.

Razor. Is that your ''name'', because of your razor sharp wit, or perhaps the more likely reason that you take one to your wrists every night, because you're clearly that insecure about yourself?

Why post rubbish on other peoples threads? If you've got nothing good or constructive (Which you didn't) to say, then say nothing at all.

Apart from all the crap you said, I think the main thing that you were getting at, is that nobody has a right to say anything negative about WWE storylines?

So, in the 900 posts you've made in the last 7 months (wow! get a hobby!), you've said nothing negative about the storylines or anything? Also where did you get the thing about sex-jokes and sideboobs (It's really funny, because they say it on Family Guy!! LMAO!!). Nobody mentioned anything specifically on the 'comedy' part of the storylines.

As for being surprised by Smackdown, unfortunately i'm not usually home on friday nights, but when I read the spoilers i'm not exactly enthralled. Why don't you tell me some of the things that have surprised you on the show lately though, like I asked?..

A lot of good examples have been cited. Also, it's true that sites like WrestleZone and the internet in general have made it extremely difficult for any wrestling company to really pull something over on us. That's simply how it is.

However, I think we've left out the most recent big surprise that we didn't see coming. That big surprise would be Sheamus. Like him or hate him, nobody really expected him to win the battle royal on Raw for a shot at the WWE Championship. And, none of us really expected Sheamus to walk out of the TLC ppv as WWE Champion. Some have complained about it, some have praised the WWE for taking such a chance, but I've yet to hear anybody say "Yeah, I saw that coming" in regards to what's happend with Sheamus over the past few months.

Its not a storyline but it was a twist I certainly enjoyed.

If i remember correctly, it was survivor series 2008. It was supposed to be a triple threat match between Jeff hardy vs Triple H vs Vladamir Kozlov for the WWE title. We all know the story were Hardy got hurt on the stairs of his hotel and it left it with the very tedious very boring Kozlov vs HHH. I remember reading it about it at this website and the general feeling was that Christian was the one to comit the offence, a couple of Matt accusations and i even remember some people mentioned the undertaker as he only just come back and was looking for a title shot but he got caught in a really really bad feud with big show. The match went on and as predicted, it sucked bad time. Vickie Guerrero comes out and starts shouting, HES HERE! HES FINALLY HERE! Everyone expected Hardy's music and BAM! Edge comes out and wins the match! xD

For me it'd have to be Edge being eliminated from the EC even before the 3rd participant entered the match, and then was even more shocked when he came out in the 2nd EC, and helped Mysterio and Jericho triple team Cena out of the match!

I marked out once for Edge losing, then got pissed off because he just entered another title match, but then marked out again when Cena lost, and then was pissed off again that Edge won a separate title the same night as losing one.

Never saw it coming either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back