When does having a hobby become having a collection?

Discussion in 'The WrestleZone Symposium' started by Hyorinmaru, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

I made a spam thread in the writing gallery where this quote was posted.
    I actually agree with a lot of what he said. Most people are quite avid about their collections and while all but one of my collections are new I would say I'm just as avid as anyone. They may be small but they're still a collection...to me anyway.

I never thought about it before but since thinking about it I would say there isn't much of a difference at all. In fact collecting stuff is a hobby.

Others may disagree so do you think there's a difference? If so what is the difference? Your thoughts on the topic at large?

2. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Take a look at the definitions of the words. A hobby is something you do for fun during your spare time. A collection is a group of items somehow related to each other gathered by someone who enjoys having those items with the intention for growth of said group. A hobby becomes a collection once you have such a group. Now there will always be better collections out there and it often turns into bragging rights from one collector to others, when in reality all the time and energy spent arguing could instead be spent admiring the hobby together as friends.

King Patrick Star likes this.
  3. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

That's my thought as well which is why I say they are my collections instead of my hobbies. I only have 4 pieces of Batman Memorabilia & 6 graphic Novels but I plan on getting more wherever I can and they will be displayed once I have the means to do so.

Every collection starts somewhere.

4. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

I'll answer this the best way I can. A hobby becomes a collection when you deem it to be. The best example I can give is the McMichael Art Gallery close to where we live.

Robert McMichael and his wife started out in the 50's collecting artwork by the Canadian artists known as the Group of Seven. These are artists who traveled across Canada painting the Canadian landscape. It started out as a hobby, but became a collection, when they opened the art gallery. Since then the gallery which sits on 10 acres, has become a Canadian national treasure. It is now owned by the Province of Ontario. The paintings by the Group of Seven, all of whom are dead now and actually buried within the gallery grounds, are priceless.

I love going there in the summer it's a peaceful place, and a perfect example of who one couples hobby turned into a collection that the whole country can be proud of.

5. Papa Pillman

Papa Pillman I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan

Anytime that the hobby involves collecting something?