• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Whats NXT for Michael Cole?

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
Warning: This is NOT an NXT thread. I just decided to be creative with the title. Please make sure you read carefully before posting, so you do not derail/change the true matter of the subject at hand.

Now then, the purpose of this thread is sort-of a depends type of thing. IF Michael Cole is revealed as anything bigger than an announcer; be it regarding the NXT Faction, or General Manager, or anything else. What will his future with the Company be, once any of those specific storylines run their course?

In other words.. is it possible for a common Announcer to go from being Neutral, to becoming a type of heel big-time player, back to being a Neutral common announcer?

If Michael Cole is destined for bigger things beyond just that of an announcer, what does his future hold once those bigger storylines run their course and he only has the talent to return to that of an announcer?

Please make sure you do not turn this into any type of Michael Cole is the NXT leader, or GM. This thread is to discuss what everyone feels would be the future of Michael Cole - should he have a bigger role, after its ran its course, where Cole would go from there.

Please make sure to add explanation to why you feel what you do. Thank you.

Well, I have a feeling that Jim Ross is going to be announced as the Raw GM and if this is the case, then I would imagine that Michael Cole will not be long for the announce table on Raw.

If we are working on the scenario where Michael Cole does have something to do with the Nexus and he is found out eventually, then I would imagine, that if JR is brought in as GM, then he will likely be booted off of the show shortly after the Nexus angle has run it’s course. Personally, I don’t really care for Cole anymore. In fact, I never really cared for him in the first place since he replaced JR on Raw a couple of years ago and I would certainly like to see that remedied.

If JR is brought in as the GM of Raw, I think it would make a lot of sense for Cole to have some dealings in the Nexus angle and if he does then his position on the commentary desk will literally be untenable afterwards. If this is the case, then they are going to need someone to step in and take that role again. Who better to do that than “Good Ol’” JR? If this happens, I would fully expect to see Michael Cole back on Smackdown with Matt Striker shortly after and JR taking up the Raw desk full-time again.

I hope, at least.

I think you can go from announcer to manager and back to announcer. Look at Bobby Heenan. He went back and forth from announcer to Manager many times. Granted he started as a manager and was always a color guy. I thought Cole did a pretty good job when he was confronting Bryan on NXT. I don't know why they shelved that angle with Cole, Miz, and Bryan. It might actually give Cole some credibility should he ever return to announcing.

Yeah but Bobby was the best manager/heel commentator in history. The guy was flat out amazing. He gathered so much heat but it wasn't on him. It was on every guy he worked with.

But anyway, I think Cole is going to wind up GM and the one behind it. Being a heel GM and play by play guy at the same time would be interesting to say the least.

Hopefully retirement. But to answer your question I hope nothing is in store for him. He can never be hated any more than he is now because he is getting legitimate hate. He's booed EVERY time he comes out to announce that I actually wonder about him. Does he even care about the fans? Cause the same fans are booing him. He can't make it big either. The same question can be posed to Lawler and JR. Nothing big can come out of them. Their old relics who only have announcing as the only thing going. Cole on the other hand is hated by most and is a real coward. Just like Cena he deserves real heat. The most they can do with him is some backstage segments with Santino.

Hopefully retirement. But to answer your question I hope nothing is in store for him. He can never be hated any more than he is now because he is getting legitimate hate. He's booed EVERY time he comes out to announce that I actually wonder about him. Does he even care about the fans? Cause the same fans are booing him. He can't make it big either. The same question can be posed to Lawler and JR. Nothing big can come out of them. Their old relics who only have announcing as the only thing going. Cole on the other hand is hated by most and is a real coward. Just like Cena he deserves real heat. The most they can do with him is some backstage segments with Santino.

you underestimate the value of good announcing. TNA would sell their mother to have Jim Ross announcing for them. An while they may be old, you don't need twenty somethings announcing for you. They don't need to compete they just need to be good on the mic, and they are.

Actually, the talk of JR in this thread reminded me of something, which is why I would say that if Cole goes onto bigger things, he would definitely be able to go back to being an announcer.

Back in the mid-late 90's, JR turned heel. In september 1996, JR (kayfabe) signed the fake Razor and Diesel, and tried to pawn them off as legit, all the while cutting heel promos on Vince, outing him as chairman of the company. Then he also did some heel stuff with Doctor Death after his Bells Palsy attack, leading to a time when he had his own announce table (JR is WAR). Yes, these storylines failed, but afterwards, JR was able to return to the broadcast area for 12 more years as the lead announcer for WWE, all the while remaining neutral (leaning face).

I think Cole would definitely be able to do something the same, except he would get over as a heel, because the fans WANT to boo him. Hell, it might actually help his announcing to take a break from it, be a heel manager/authority figure, then ultimately go back to it again. Maybe he would be able to return again as a heel play-by-play guy, something that hasn't really been done before.

Heenan and JR however are talented. MC is not. if he is revealed to be in any way something beyond what he is now, once the storyline is over, he may be able to go back. i think it all honestly depends on how long the angle runs and where it goes.

for example, if he turns out to be the mystery GM and starts out hella heel, but eventually mellows out a bit, he should have no problem going to back to play-by-play.

personally, i think he needs to move on, and not come back. i've always felt he was incredibly boring as an announcer, he offered nothing besides being a target for his color man.

perhaps they should bring back D-X so he can be their bitch again.

I think that since Micael Cole is already getting booed..he will make it and get over as a heel with all this "Nexus" deal. And when it's all set and done he should return to Smackdown because its his home and it wouldn't seem right for him to stay on Raw any longer. His best days were on Smackdown after all.

But what i don't get is why all the heat? What has Cole done? I personally enjoy his commintary way more than JRs!! And you got to respect the guy..hes been around for a very long time!! Way more than Randy Orton, John Morrison, and even more than Cena!! I just think its stupid for people to be booing him.

But anyways i see him going back to Smackdown when this storyline ends and id be quite happy actually!!

Smackdown th REAL flagship show!!

Can’t really predict what would be next for the guy, but what is a breath of fresh air is that Michael Cole at this point in time is actually interesting. He is neutral but leaning heel, and as the spokesperson for the Anonymous GM he is garnering great heat. His delivery is top notch, and he is really coming across as a real prick on television. Whether he is in fact the GM or just a leading figure in Nexus remains to be seen, but whatever is “NXT” for the guy, it is definitely going to have him over as hell with the crowd, and with me.

The WWE is unpredictable again. Great television.

If Cole does indeed become something more important, I think he could return to announcing after its all done. Actually, I think it could be done fairly easily.

This big story-line can with the GM and the Nexus can go so many places. There are plenty of people that could wind up being the GM. The same goes with the leader of the Nexus. So odds are that he has nothing to do with either and he simply keeps his role as announcer. The thing is though, we saw that he can play a role other than announcer from his thing with Danielson. Maybe this was a little test run to see if he is ready for a role such as GM or leader of the Nexus. So if he is in line to play a major role on RAW, I think he will do fine. He seems to be pretty good at being a heel.

Now for getting back to the announcer's table. Being that he would most likely be a heel either as the leader or the GM, it would set up perfectly for him to return as a heel announcer. Personally, I have loved his work as a heel commentator on NXT and would love to see this on RAW. If he becomes the GM, maybe he gets fired as the GM but uses the announcer's table to stay in the company. If he's the leader of the Nexus, I think he could just return. No set up involved. Maybe they could use time and give him some time off and hope that the fans forget.

But really, I dont think he is the GM or the leader and he will stay with his spot at the table.

If Cole is announced as GM, I don't think the storyline WILL "run its course", at least not for a while. Cole is made for the GM position, especially as a heel. From his douchebag glasses to his obnoxious voice, everything about him screams "wimpy heel authority figure".

Cole isn't going anywhere, and I doubt he'll ever truly run out of heat. If he's revealed to be the GM I expect him to stay the GM for a long, long time. After that he may go back to announcing, but as a heel commentator. There's no way WWE can make him face or neutral again, not after realizing just how much heat the man gets.

If Cole is announced as GM, I don't think the storyline WILL "run its course", at least not for a while. Cole is made for the GM position, especially as a heel. From his douchbag glasses to his obnoxious voice, everything about him screams "wimpy heel authority figure".

Cole isn't going anywhere, and I doubt he'll ever truly run out of heat. If he's revealed to be the GM I expect him to stay the GM for a long, long time. After that he may go back to announcing, but as a heel commentator. There's no way WWE can make him face or neutral again, not after realizing just how much heat the man gets.

I was at Raw last night and every time Cole got up to read one of the e-mails, the crowd booed the HELL out of him. If he ended up being GM or even involved with the Nexus, I can only imagine the reaction it would get.

I think he would be a great choice for GM, and personally I think thats what WWE is testing. That's why he always gets up, puts on his glasses, and speaks out over everyone, they want to see if he can do it, and I think he can. Personally I always liked Cole, I don't care what other people think he's a deadly announcer.

As for what happens after, sure he can go back to an announcer, and after his GM role he would probably be a MUCH better announcer, Cole for RAW GM!

To preface, I'm super intimidated posting in a thread started by Will. I beg of thee thine mercy.

And that, The Jeff, is why Michael Cole should be risen up to greater things. In respect to his crowd reaction, he could become the male Vicki Guerrero. Cole is a company man. He's been with them, to my knowledge, since the WWE No Mercy video game and has paid his dues. From lowly backstage interviewer to commentator on Smackdown to lead commentator on Raw, his career path has always led higher. Now, as spokesperson for the anonymous GM, Cole is about to be catapulted into the next phase of his WWE career. I see this lasting for a solid 2 years, similar to Eric Bischoff's tenure as GM.

After the storyline has finished, I would like to see Michael Cole take his experience and apply it to a more mature commentary style. Granted, he will never have the wrestling insight JBL lent to the table from his career, but Cole could provide a more well rounded look at matches, plots, and segments. This illumination would let us see the bigger picture of the business and help to facilitate a little more faith from the fans. Instead of saying, "Evan Bourne is a jobber. Why is he going over Jericho in such a fashion"? we could learn that the proper response should be, "Man, that Jericho, he really wants to invest in the future of younger wrestlers."

Keep in mind, this is how I would like to see things go, and I actually believe this will happen.

I'm not sure what Cole is, but it's definitely not a neutral announcer. He constantly singles out certain people. He hated Daniel Bryan, and now he's coming down on Kaval. For some reason, anybody with a connection to the internet fans is hated by Michael Cole.

And as for what's next... Anything but an employee of the WWE is fine with me. I don't want him to be the mystery GM, but seeing him two or three times is much better than listening to him for two or three hours at a time. And once he's done with that, maybe he'll realize how annoying, baised, and terrible he is at his job, and quit. Maybe he'll go sell used cars, furniture, or motor boats? Maybe he'll start a BBQ and sell his special sauce on WWEshop? I don't care, just get him gone.

While there are a lot of things going on with Cole right now between the NXT angle and the anonymous GM, it's still hard to tell where he fits in, but one thing is for sure... he is playing some sort of role other than message boy.

The secret GM hasn't made things much easier for Nexus yet, but hasn't made it too difficult either. Nonetheless, Cole is the voice of this shady character, and I can't blame anyone who thinks Cole may very well be the GM himself.

At the same time, Cole hasn't had anything nice to say about Nexus, but he has managed to escape their attacks every time he feels threatened. Is it dumb luck, or is there a reason behind this?

Where am I going with this? Fuck if I know, which is kind of nice. Wrestling is fairly predictable, and when it's not predictable, it's stupid, so when you get an angle that truly stumps you, you know they've got something good.

I think Cole definitely fits into this puzzle somewhere. I don't think he is the mastermind of Nexus, nor do I think he is the anonymous GM. I think that eventually, when all is revealed, Cole will be some sort of mediator between Nexus and the GM, sort of a third party who is trying to use both groups to his advantage. Perhaps it will be revealed that he is the one that (kayfabe) got Daniel Bryan fired, and maybe he got Josh Matthews beat up last week for the disrespect Matthews shows him on NXT.

I don't know for sure where Cole fits in, but I am fairly certain he's part of the Nexus/Anonymous GM equation.

Michael Cole is an interesting character in all of this. Sometimes I think that he's totally against Nexus and then other times I think that he's with them for sure and that he has to be the Anonymous GM. I think that Cole would actually be a good choice for the mystery GM because he is a really hateable character, BUT Nexus has beaten his ass too so I don't really know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back