What's Next for AJ Styles?

OYDK

King Of The Ring
Ok, first let me say I was wrong. AJ Styles debuted at the Royal Rumble last night in pretty spectacular fashion and lasted longer than the vast majority of participants. I didn't have much faith in WWE in regards to them booking a great Rumble debut for Styles but they proved me wrong. Having Owens eliminate AJ to take that heat was also very well done. So, that parts over, but what comes next?

I've seen some around here automatically assume that what transpired last night undoubtedly means we'll see an Owens/Styles feud for Mania, and while it's a strong possibility, I'm not so sure that's the plan. Personally, I just thought Owens eliminated Styles because he was one of the only guys who could get away with doing so, in fact even benefit off of it. Plus, there's still that small chance that WWE continues the Zayn/Owens feud into Mania.

Others have mentioned that Daniel Bryan may possibly return tonight on Raw to confront Styles. I think this is possible too. If WWE gave the go ahead in regards to DB, I think this the most likely match for AJ. Still a long-shot though.

And my theory surrounds The Undertaker. If Kevin Owens does in fact continue feuding with Zayn or Ambrose, wouldn't that leave Taker open? I mean, WWE obviously has big plans for AJ Styles, is it possible that they give him a Mania match with The Undertaker?

Oh the possibilities.

I marked the fuck out when AJ appeared on the rumble, even knowing that he was coming to wwe, i couldnt help myself, it was an awesome debut.

I see AJ going against Owens, besides the elimination spot, Owens its a good fit for AJ's first feud. They are both great performers, they can bring a fair amount of great matches.

But honestly, im so excited to see AJ on WWE, that i will be fine which whatever feud he is going to.

I haven't seen it just yet, but I couldn't help myself to see the spoilers, it's probably a good ppv except for the ending of course, I guess sleeping and banging the bosses daughter does get you anything and everything you want. I am so sick of HHH winning titles after titles after titles even though he doesn't do jack shit, giving him the title is just like giving Jericho another title reign and I would have been happy with that, we fans are suppose to believe that HHH haven't wrestle since god knows when, got a recent beat down by Roman and than just shows up and wins the heavy weight title for the millionth time just to lose it at Wrestlemania to Roman, so really, what was the point? The only great thing out of the royal rumble was seeing AJ show up and draw massive pops. It was dumb of the powers to be to give AJ such a shitty number draw
I didn't mind having Owens eliminate him either but it could have been handled better.

1.Owens eliminated Aj, didn't draw that much heat
2.Zayn eliminating Aj probably wouldn't draw much heat either
3. Finn Balor and Aj in the same rumble would have been EPIC

There's no point in booking Taker vs Aj just to have him lose. Damn the only thing wrong with this years rumble is that dip shit HHH winning the title again, I would have prefer Dean Ambrose turn heel and win the title

I haven't seen it just yet, but I couldn't help myself to see the spoilers, it's probably a good ppv except for the ending of course, I guess sleeping and banging the bosses daughter does get you anything and everything you want. I am so sick of HHH winning titles after titles after titles even though he doesn't do jack shit, giving him the title is just like giving Jericho another title reign and I would have been happy with that, we fans are suppose to believe that HHH haven't wrestle since god knows when, got a recent beat down by Roman and than just shows up and wins the heavy weight title for the millionth time just to lose it at Wrestlemania to Roman, so really, what was the point? The only great thing out of the royal rumble was seeing AJ show up and draw massive pops. It was dumb of the powers to be to give AJ such a shitty number draw
I didn't mind having Owens eliminate him either but it could have been handled better.

There's no point in booking Taker vs Aj just to have him lose. Damn the only thing wrong with this years rumble is that dip shit HHH winning the title again, I would have prefer Dean Ambrose turn heel and win the title

Virtually none of this makes sense. Triple H winning titles after titles? You're aware the entire roster is injured and Triple H hasn't held a title in almost 7 years right? This is a last last ditch effort to get Reigns over as a face right now. They have to do it. It makes the most sense right now given the state of the roster no matter how much you like it. They need to try to get Reigns over in some fashion but I think even I was surprised by the number of boos Reigns got last night. I'm not sure how you book Triple H to not have the fans boo Reigns. I honestly don't. You might have to turn Reigns heel in some way and build him back up organically. It was good for a few weeks when he beat Sheamus because people hate the belt on Sheamus way more than Reigns. He was the lesser of two evils at that point. The waters are muddy though right now for a Reigns face run as champ. As for Ambrose being a heel and winning the title... I'm sorry. But no. A heel Ambrose holding a title for two months headlining Mania? Not a chance. They were talking about Rollins "not having a top match on the card" prior to his injury. So if Rollins wasn't going to have a top match who had a solid heel run as champion cut short to injury, Ambrose sure as hell wouldn't. I don't believe that Rollins wasn't going to have a top match... but the blurb had to come from somewhere. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire... even just a little bit.

As for AJ... his appearance in the Rumble was perfect. Coming out early enough to not give the smarks any ammo to work with for an indication he might go the distance and win or be involved in the finish. There's not a single talent (other than a never will happen CM Punk return) that can come into the Rumble as a surprise entrant and win. None of them.

I would think it's pretty safe to say the Ambrose thing is over. Winning a Last Man Standing match usually puts an and to a feud. Especially at a major PPV. Ambrose needs that title right now to stay somewhat relevant. Because if he's not out there with Reigns feuding with Triple H or something, there isn't a lot for him to do. Owens on the other hand does not need a title on him.

But I think it's pretty obvious we're gearing up for a match between he and AJ. Owens wins at Fastlane over AJ. Promo is cut how Owens is the baddest guy on the roster. Nobody can stop him unless you sneak up on him like Ambrose had to so he won at the Rumble. Gong hits. There's your Mania match. Or something along those lines.

It was very well done on WWEs part to not just kill AJ before he even had a chance. I unfortunately missed his entrance because I thought nobody good would be coming out at 3 (I also missed Rusev getting eliminated so quickly) and bam, AJ comes out and puts on a show and probably was the most over in the Rumble match last night maybe barring Lesnar. It was good to have him in early and not last until the end for a few reasons. 1 as soon as he came down the ramp it instantly made the Rumble more interesting and gave us something else to think about until HHH came in. 2 If you had him till the end then fans would of just been all over AJ and hated any other result expect again maybe Lesnar.

I initially thought that it would be Owens vs Styles at Mania as soon as the elimination occurred. But after further thinking I'm not so sure. Like many people have said Kevin Owens was probably one of the few, maybe the only one to get away with the Styles elimination. Bray might of got away with it but could you imagine if it was Reigns, Jericho or Strowman. Also you could throw Kevin Owens with pretty much any main eventer in the WWE and have people happy so why give him AJ? Then again he really doesn't have anyone else to go after especially if the Wyatts continue their pursuit on Brock. Also what better way to bring AJ in against one of the top heels in the company and build him from there win or lose.

For now though I am going to say he will be facing Owens at Mania in some sort of grudge match. It will be one hell of a match also.

Triple H winning titles after titles? You're aware the entire roster is injured and Triple H hasn't held a title in almost 7 years right? This is a last last ditch effort to get Reigns over as a face right now. They have to do it. It makes the most sense right now given the state of the roster no matter how much you like it. They need to try to get Reigns over in some fashion but I think even I was surprised by the number of boos Reigns got last night. I'm not sure how you book Triple H to not have the fans boo Reigns. I honestly don't. You might have to turn Reigns heel in some way and build him back up organically. It was good for a few weeks when he beat Sheamus because people hate the belt on Sheamus way more than Reigns. He was the lesser of two evils at that point. The waters are muddy though right now for a Reigns face run as champ. As for Ambrose being a heel and winning the title... I'm sorry. But no. A heel Ambrose holding a title for two months headlining Mania? Not a chance. They were talking about Rollins "not having a top match on the card" prior to his injury. So if Rollins wasn't going to have a top match who had a solid heel run as champion cut short to injury, Ambrose sure as hell wouldn't. I don't believe that Rollins wasn't going to have a top match... but the blurb had to come from somewhere. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire... even just a little bit.

I have to agree with this. HHH is a part time wrestler and hasn't held a title in forever. It was done to get Reigns over, although like I said on the LD discussion thread last night, I don't know how much more they can do for him.

He's not getting there himself, and they've pretty much pulled every cat out of the bag that they can. I thought for sure being a Florida crowd and Reigns being from Florida he would have no problems, but the boo's started as soon as he appeared and just seemed to get louder. Sitting here scratching my head as to why? He has the look, but fans just don't want to cheer him for some reason, and I have no idea why anymore.

I usually disagree with heel turns just for the sake of it, but in this case it might be the only trick they have left.

As for AJ... his appearance in the Rumble was perfect. Coming out early enough to not give the smarks any ammo to work with for an indication he might go the distance and win or be involved in the finish. There's not a single talent (other than a never will happen CM Punk return) that can come into the Rumble as a surprise entrant and win. None of them.

AJ's appearance really seemed to energize the crowd, and they marked out for him. He stayed in for quite some time, and it seemed just right that Owens eliminated him. If he had stayed till the end and Reigns had thrown him over the top, Reigns would have been boo'd out of the place. It's obvious that the fans want new faces and Styles fit's the bill. I'm going to enjoy watching him.

I would think it's pretty safe to say the Ambrose thing is over. Winning a Last Man Standing match usually puts an and to a feud. Especially at a major PPV. Ambrose needs that title right now to stay somewhat relevant. Because if he's not out there with Reigns feuding with Triple H or something, there isn't a lot for him to do. Owens on the other hand does not need a title on him.

I hope it's over, what with Owens getting rid of Styles and Zayn back for him to feud with. Now where does Ambrose go is the question? Doesn't seem to be that many top heels around, especially with 4 of them in the Wyatt family tied up with Lesnar.

As to the comment on Triple H, I also have to agree that it's probably the best choice they could make right now given that so many top stars are out with injuries. I also agree that this is being done in the hopes of getting Reigns to that level of being over with fans that a main eventer needs. Reigns is pretty over, don't get me wrong, but if the numbers we've seen for Raw since Reigns has been given his big push are any indication, the guy's just not much of a draw. Whenever he's been in the main event spot for Raw, the third hour viewership has almost always tanked; while it's not uncommon for viewership to go down in the third hour, it flat out plummets when Reigns headlines the card.

However, as for Styles, it's hard to say where he goes. To be honest, I wouldn't mind some sort of threeway match with Styles, Owens and Sami Zayn for WrestleMania. Owens eliminating Styles was a great way of putting heat on him and it's obvious that Zayn is going to be feuding with him. Another potential possibility could be for Styles to go after the US or IC title culminating with a win for WrestleMania.

I have this feeling that AJ Styles would be involved in IC title picture come Wrestlemania. Lately, WWE is doing well with the IC title with Ambrose and Owens' program, and adding likes of Styles and Sami Zayn would just elevate the IC title even more. They may even do a fatal four way with Owens, Ambrose, Styles and Zayn. All 4 of them are over and would make for an instant classic at Mania. Moreover, it'll help re-establish IC champship as work-horse's title.

As far as Daniel Bryan coming out to challenge Styles, as much as I want it, I ain't holding my breath.

Here's hoping...

For my money; I'd say that the sky is the limit, but just showing up at the Royal Rumble launched AJ into parts of the universe that the laws of physics once thought impossible to exist. If AJ announced plans to run for the presidency, I'd already be starting a campaign headquarters in my district.

AJ can go up against literally anyone, and I'll set my watch to it. I'm more than happy with the Royal Rumble, I give myself a month before I turn back into a curmudgeon toward the WWE.

As far as Reigns, let's be real here. The dude showed up and the WWE was all "Hey everybody! This guy checks all the boxes, so cheer for him!" They gave John Cena more time to find his mojo before being thrust into the top spot, and even though I loathe John Cena I'm willing to admit that his world title reign still felt right. Reigns, for whatever reason, scared potential fans for life with how he performed at THAT Royal Rumble. Putting Reigns up against Styles, there was no hope for Reigns. I was fixated on Styles for his entire time in the match, then I couldn't focus on Reigns because *ugh* he was so horribly injured by the LON. Reigns career has been a train wreck to put it mildly, and his only hope is to lay low for a little while. If he gets his belt back at WrestleMania, I'm hoping that the WWE make it a barn burner like when Reigns took on Lesnar.

*edit: I went to the shopzone to try to buy an AJ Styles shirt, and saw that they're already sold out.

Zayn eliminating Owens seemed like a resolution, not a continuation, to their feud.

It'll be Owens vs. Styles. A.J. needs to get some measure of revenge after being dumped out of the Rumble by a spent guy. My guess is it'll be a one PPV that'll culminate at Fast Lane. I see both making up the numbers in a multi-man match come Mania time.

I'm really not sure. Will he be a face or heel? I'd have to see that alignment first and how Raw goes before seeing where they could lead him.

I haven't seen it just yet...

Curious to how you came to this conclusion after the first thing you said was that you hadn't seen it just yet.

Owens eliminating AJ made perfect sense being that everyone knows Kevin as an a**hole heel. Him saying "welcome to WWE" while throwing Styles out and then mocking his pose was typical KO. AND it did draw heat because the fans booed the elimination and then chanted "AJ Styles" until the next entrant arrived.

As for where he goes during Wrestlemania season, I see a few things lining up like this...

1) Ambrose v Jericho for IC. They planted the seeds last year at Night of Champions when Y2J tagged hisself into the match and lost then blew off Dean. This was furthered by Ambrose eliminating Jericho in the Rumble.

2) Owens v Zayn. Sami cost Kevin a chance to win the championship and KO cost Zayn a few months of his career by (kayfabe) injuring his shoulder.

3) Brock & Taker v Bray and the Family. Lesnar verses anyone in the Wyatt Family one on one at Mania won't draw a dime and is not realistic. Same with Taker. So being that it's a numbers game with the Wyatts, why not have Brock get the guy he has the most respect for to help even it out.

4) So where does this leave AJ? I say they bring back MItB to Mania have him in that match where the rest of the Balor/Bullet Club help him get the win.

Only reason I believe all four points will happen is because of injuries the roster is super thin, they need to fill up as many seats and get as many new subscribers as possible. Those that I listed would be best for their business.

If Zayn is on the main roster now, I could see both Styles and Zayn come out wanting Owens and for them to then face off at Fastlane to decide. Have a great match but Owens comes and lays them both out leading to a WM Triple Threat. If Zayn isn't back then its just a straight up singles match between them at Mania or possibly fastlane and Mania.

AJ is face if WWE has any idea what they're doing, he's going to be cheered. If they want to pull the whole Bullet Club invasion angle when Nakamura is done with New Japan, they can work on a heel turn around Fast Lane.

Ambrose or KO are possible Feuds, Sami Zayn still has some business in nXt, giving KO and AJ a feud to Fast Lane, then having Zayn move up during Fast Lane and having Zayn vs KO rematch at WM would secure the Indie Darling, Smark, and NXT fans buy ins.

WWE definitely booked AJ right last night, they gave him a strong showing without him clouding up the Main Event, he did indeed steal the show, but only for about 30 minutes. It's plausible to see him feuding with anyone, Phenom vs Phenomenal isn't out of the question for Mania, it's almost a dream match for some, and it would indeed put butts in the seats. It's someone that can beat Taker and get cheered, or lose to Taker, and not be scarred for life.

One things for sure, just from watching last night, keep AJ away from Reigns, bad things will happen.

Curious to how you came to this conclusion after the first thing you said was that you hadn't seen it just yet.

Owens eliminating AJ made perfect sense being that everyone knows Kevin as an a**hole heel. Him saying "welcome to WWE" while throwing Styles out and then mocking his pose was typical KO. AND it did draw heat because the fans booed the elimination and then chanted "AJ Styles" until the next entrant arrived.

As for where he goes during Wrestlemania season, I see a few things lining up like this...

1) Ambrose v Jericho for IC. They planted the seeds last year at Night of Champions when Y2J tagged hisself into the match and lost then blew off Dean. This was furthered by Ambrose eliminating Jericho in the Rumble.

2) Owens v Zayn. Sami cost Kevin a chance to win the championship and KO cost Zayn a few months of his career by (kayfabe) injuring his shoulder.

3) Brock & Taker v Bray and the Family. Lesnar verses anyone in the Wyatt Family one on one at Mania won't draw a dime and is not realistic. Same with Taker. So being that it's a numbers game with the Wyatts, why not have Brock get the guy he has the most respect for to help even it out.

4) So where does this leave AJ? I say they bring back MItB to Mania have him in that match where the rest of the Balor/Bullet Club help him get the win.

Only reason I believe all four points will happen is because of injuries the roster is super thin, they need to fill up as many seats and get as many new subscribers as possible. Those that I listed would be best for their business.

Oh I'd quite like the Bullet Club debuting to help Styles win MITB. That could be the heel turn for him which leads into a slow burn face turn when the Bullet Club turn on him and can send Styles into the main event.

I haven't seen it just yet, but I couldn't help myself to see the spoilers, it's probably a good ppv except for the ending of course, I guess sleeping and banging the bosses daughter does get you anything and everything you want. I am so sick of HHH winning titles after titles after titles even though he doesn't do jack shit, giving him the title is just like giving Jericho another title reign and I would have been happy with that, we fans are suppose to believe that HHH haven't wrestle since god knows when, got a recent beat down by Roman and than just shows up and wins the heavy weight title for the millionth time just to lose it at Wrestlemania to Roman, so really, what was the point?

Mate do you really believe that a victory, any victory, over Triple H, is meaningless? They're doing this for Roman. Triple H did not win this belt for himself, he won it to drop it to Roman. The accolade of "pinfall victory over WWE Champion Triple H" is not something to sniff at. Honestly this is like the one time Trips' ego is not being fed by the title since we all know where it's going. Two months. His reign will be two months and that's it. It might be his last in-ring run.

The only great thing out of the royal rumble was seeing AJ show up and draw massive pops.

I don't know if you noticed but there were about 4 decent midcard matches featuring over & skilled talent before this.

It was dumb of the powers to be to give AJ such a shitty number draw

You mean it was dumb to have the ring entirely cleared early in the match so that Styles could get a good showing & decent amount of time in the ring, lasting longer than countless veterans who entered the match after him?

I disagree, go back and listen to the crowd again

On that point you have my absolute agreement. I think Balor will drop the NXT title soon to enable him to come onto Raw.

Earlier in your post you said there was only one good thing about the show. And I'd like to know why you think Ambrose's character being derailed and the storyline between Reigns & the Authority also being derailed would be better than the result we actually got, which is the next chapter building towards the probable blow-off between Reigns & Helmsley at Mania.

So many possible seeds were planted within the Rumble match.

- Styles and Neville start to light it up. Styles nearly hits Styles Clash.

- KO & Styles unleash on one another with a fury of punches. KO hits a sick Super Kick and eliminates Styles.

- KO and Ambrose show there is still HEAT between the two.

- Zayn causes a major pop as he reignites his war w/KO

- More tension is teased between Ambrose & Jericho.

There are so many interchangeable parts to make the mid card scene on the RtWM very exciting. WWE seems fond of jamming a multi man championship bout on the card and this might just be it.

For AJ, I'd like his first feud to be Jericho with AJ as a baby face or against Ambrose with AJ as a heel. I think that Ambrose got a MAJOR rub last night in the Rumble, and Jericho is perfect enhancement talent to let AJ go over and show his ability to the casual fan.

I hope Sting is cleared for Wrestlemania, in order to facr The Undertaker, which of course leaves Owens vs Styles. That will be amazing.

However if Sting is not there, then I see Taker vs Owens, with Owens vs Styles taking place at Fast Lane. As for Styles, he can face anybody really. Daniel Bryan is thr #1 choice for me and if not Bryan, who is injured, a returning Randy Orton could also work.

If not these guys, then turn Ziggler heel and let them steal the show.

First off, I am so glad Styles got the crowd reaction he deserved. I was afraid it was going to be dead, but it seemed most of the fans knew who he was (although not very fond of the entrance music)

I'd like to see a Styles/Samoa Joe feud and have them bring their past time in TNA as the catalyst. They can do it without actually bringing up the other company and both had put on some strong matches while under TNA.

I have to agree with this. HHH is a part time wrestler and hasn't held a title in forever. It was done to get Reigns over, although like I said on the LD discussion thread last night, I don't know how much more they can do for him.

He's not getting there himself, and they've pretty much pulled every cat out of the bag that they can. I thought for sure being a Florida crowd and Reigns being from Florida he would have no problems, but the boo's started as soon as he appeared and just seemed to get louder. Sitting here scratching my head as to why? He has the look, but fans just don't want to cheer him for some reason, and I have no idea why anymore.

I usually disagree with heel turns just for the sake of it, but in this case it might be the only trick they have left.

AJ's appearance really seemed to energize the crowd, and they marked out for him. He stayed in for quite some time, and it seemed just right that Owens eliminated him. If he had stayed till the end and Reigns had thrown him over the top, Reigns would have been boo'd out of the place. It's obvious that the fans want new faces and Styles fit's the bill. I'm going to enjoy watching him.

I hope it's over, what with Owens getting rid of Styles and Zayn back for him to feud with. Now where does Ambrose go is the question? Doesn't seem to be that many top heels around, especially with 4 of them in the Wyatt family tied up with Lesnar.

Stole the words right outta my mouth in regards to Roman. I just don't get it anymore. It's kinda sad, but th same way they didn't ignore the Daniel Bryan support back at Mania 30, they really can't ignore the hate for Reigns. They need to turn him already because it's past the point of being ridiculous. I mean, they cheered HHH over him. That's really bad for Reigns. Putting Rock in his corner at Mania won't help. It didn't help in Philly at the Rumble last year either. They should settle this at Fastlane and go in another direction. Maybe let Roman do a "if you can't beat em, join em" type of thing. Something MUST be done or Mania will be ruined in my opinion...or at least the headlining match.

As for AJ, I'm happy they did right by him. But from what I saw, I think there was a little foreshadowing there with him n Jericho...they were in there together a while at the same time and had a lot of exchanges. It makes sense since both guys were at the top around the same time in WWE & TNA. Plus their styles make for a great match. Jericho has no problem playing heel either. Owens in my opinion wouldn't be a good fit with Styles for his first go around. Let him n Zayn have a match...let their story/history be told on WWE tv so everyone can be invested in it. There's plenty there to achieve that. But imo, it's gotta be Jericho vs Styles.

As for Undertaker...Finn Balor with the Bullet Club in a feud with Undertaker would be sick...with The Demon facing the Deadman at the big show. That's pure money and totally marketable.

Still have Samoa Joe out there and Daniel Bryan possibly. I'd put Joe against Dean for the IC title, but Bryan I dunno. There's possibilities, but I'm kinda hoping they change up some stuff at the top. Maybe that'll open up other possibilities for a better main event.

Styles vs Owens seems like more of a Fastlane match to me than anything. Now that the Wyatt family and Lesnar appear to be a lock for Mania, the question of who does the Undertaker face comes up.

In a WWE that needs to build new stars, is putting the Undertaker over anyone again a good idea? Is WWE going to be willing to put either a TNA guy or an indie guy over there home grown legend?

They should. Undertaker wrestles on borrowed time whereas Owens could have another 10 to 12 good years, Styles another 7 or more.

I don't see how you keep Styles and Owens apart until WrestleMania, so Fastlane seems far more likely. I'm not sure who Styles' WrestleMania opponent is, but pretty much every option is exciting.

The thing everybody needs to remember, is that we currently don't have a number one contender for HHH's WWE World Heavyweight title and the easiest way to put that right would be to have a elimination chamber match at fastlane and with the roster looking very depleted at the moment, it makes sense that aj would be one of the participants. So there is no real reason for him to jump straight into a feud with anybody. I imagine the other four participants in the match will be Lesnar, Wyatt, Sheamus and Bryan, (Jericho if he does not return on raw) with all involved (except Lesnar) exchanging wins on raw and smackdown leading up to said match at fastlane.

The chamber match should easily set up Lesnar VS Wyatt at Mania, with Sheamus taking on Bryan and Owens moving on to the undertaker allowing Styles to challenge for either the us or ic title.

What's next? IMO he should fire that trash entrance music immediately and get something else. WTF was playing when he came out at the Rumble? Some Jazz crap from down the street? It was horrible.

Actually the entrance music for AJ, in my opinion, was badass and fits him well. I don't think Owens going after him was a conicidence. They will feud soon. Awesome that he is in WWE, he deserves the big stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back