What will make you read RP's?

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
One of the things with the new forum is I'm able to see who has viewed a thread. So this round I thought I'd do an experiment and see how many people view RP's outside of their own. In addition I was curious to see what the most popular RP's were this round.

The RP with the most views outside of creative and match writers was Xander/Blades and Hayes/Adams that had 5 people view it. The lowest? Kagura/Xander and Titus/Mussel which had a measly one view!

I find this quite crazy really. There's a lot of people who don't even read other rps.

With 8 matches the max you could read that's not yours is 7. Here's the figures for this round.

Five

Sawa

Four

Wildcat

Three

Dynamite

Two

Matrix, Dave, Infinity, Fallout, Kweb

One

Falkon

Zero

Everyone else.

Here's the match results in view order
Tyrone Blades vs. Xander

Wildcat, Matrix, Sawa, Dynamite, Fallout

Stetson Hayes vs. Alice "Baby Doll" Adams

Kweb, Wildcat, Fallout, Infinity, Dynamite

Randy Studd vs. Keith Kole

Sawa, Matrix, Wildcat

Clark/Stormrage v Mancini/Keaton

Wildcat, Falkon, Sawa

PC Stevie Broon vs. Annie Halloway

Infinity, Sawa, Kweb

Eve Taylor vs. Vega

Dynamite, Sawa

Titus vs. King Mussél

Dave

Kagura vs. Harald Var Kirgare

Dave

So what can we do to make you view RP's? My advice is it's the best way to grow in the thread, certainly the best way to work out what works against your opponent. The fact that the three bottom matches include three former world champions, a Mayhem champion and your number one contender is strange to me.

What are your thoughts on this?

If I'm not busy I try to read most. Though there are some characters whose stories I can't get into so I will tend to gloss over those ones. If I like the character I usually make the effort to read the rp

That's wild, didn't know these statistics could be found. I think it's unfortunately always gonna be a preference thing of what people like, there's definitely people who just aren't interested in some people RP's. And because they're not on creative you can't really force it nor should you. I think what's much more important is how can we get people to pay attention to everything on the shows and not just comment on stuff that applies to them.

I get lazy usually with other RP's, but I try to read at least a couple others. If I get invested in a character I'll go out of my way to read their work no matter what.

Also I agree with Dynamite about how everybody needs to read the entire shows. I used to not do that and now I don't get why I did that as I enjoy the fed a lot more by reading all the shows.

That's been a problem for a while now too. It's a shame we all put in a lot of effort (all in the fed) and it seems like it's a bit of a disappointment that it's not enjoyed by all.

Time is a major factor for me.

As you could probably tell by my two previous RP's, University has been ridiculous. Simply writing an RP has been hard for me. To read others RP's every round on top of that is too much time spent away from my assignments. Hell, I've hardly been active on Discord.

Lee and I did discuss this a bit and we both agree that one of the ways to get a good feel for an opponent for a big match is to read their last few RPs. In the almost seven years I've been in the fed I've been on creative the majority of the time so reading all the RPs is more habit at this point, but you can usually pick up a thing or two from at least reading the RPs of your PPV opponent during the cycle.

And I get the point about preferences. If you aren't into comedy then reading comedy characters likely won't do much for you. Same for serious characters. I only had to read a few while I was on creative, but I always thought Black Dragon RPs were boring. So I totally get not wanting to read certain characters.

But read my RPs. Mine are the best.

The last couple of months, I've not read anything - I've just read meltdown but I didn't have time to read the previous round at the time. I was away all summer and posting anything was challenging.

Disclaimer out the way, the inhibiting factor for me is length. The vast majority of RPs are a lot longer than they need to be, and there has definitely been a shift towards that over the time I was away for a few years. You rarely see a single RP under 1000 words, and with 20 odd RPs every week, you can be looking at reading a doctoral thesis.

I've read more Shinchan RPs than I have some of the legends and heavy hitters because they were a lot shorter and easier to read. Plus he always posted them about a week early so there wasn't much else going on.

I honestly think Creative work wonders and as the person who has probably spent the most time cumulatively in the fed without ever being involved on that side, I really respect the effort they have to put in week in week out to read it all, but I just don't have the time to sift through the silt of thousands of words to find some gold.

What would make me read RPs beyond people keeping it concise? Probably if each member of creative had a pick of the week (not necessarily the best RP, just one that was fun or innovative or interesting or something) I'd make time to read some of those.

I like that idea. It reminded me very briefly when I did best RP that didn't win. I was thinking of something similar to a character highlight of the week so that could be cool.

Agreed. That sounds like a good idea. Maybe a bronze/silver/gold award per round. Shouldn't be too hard to do. Would also compliment the power rankings at the end of each cycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back