What was the best finishing move in the 90's?

I don't get the love for the Stunner or the misbelief that it could come out of nowhere. it was extremely choreographed move that was nothing more then a kick to a gut and then a jawbreaker, something people had done before and still do occassionally, only difference was Austin turning his back on the receiver before dropping to his ass. This was a move that succeeded because of the receiver selling it far more then the person performing the move.
The misconception of it coming out of nowhere is due to the fact that most of the time you saw it, it was Austin sneaking up on the back of the receiver, waiting until they turned or turning them around then double finger salute, gut kick, slow turn his back while grabbing head and then down on his ass and guy acts like Austin's shoulder was a trampoline flopping back and around like an idiot.
A much better version was the Osaka Street Cutter. Start with what looks like an inverted suplex to lift the receiver, but as he comes down over the shoulder, lands on feet and performer drops into the sitdown jawbreaker/stunner. Much more visually appealing and shows more ...technique? class? strength? then just a kick to the gut and dropping on your ass.

I hate to go all Mark Madden, but you understand we're talking about fake wrestling, right?

The entire point of the whole song and dance is to create a reaction. The Stunner did just that. I get that opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one and it is cool if that is your favorite move. But, throwing the Stunner under the bus is just being antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic. No sane fan thinks thinks the Stunner sucks.

I hate to go all Mark Madden, but you understand we're talking about fake wrestling, right?

The entire point of the whole song and dance is to create a reaction. The Stunner did just that. I get that opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one and it is cool if that is your favorite move. But, throwing the Stunner under the bus is just being antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic. No sane fan thinks thinks the Stunner sucks.

The question isn't what got the best reaction, but what was the best finisher. I'm not throwing the stunner under the bus as you put it because it did get a great reaction, but Stone Cold could have done anything and gotten the same reaction at the time. Hell a double bird poke to the eyes as his finish would still have popped as big as the Stunner.

And questioning if i know that wrestling is scripted shows you're about as intelligent as the average piece of furniture. Your use of the word fake shows your own ignorance. it was unnecessary. you could have just stayed with wrestling, or used scripted, planned, or a host of other words that you probably can't spell.

The stunner hit big only because of the person on the receiving end SELLING it big. It was a JAWBREAKER. a move that hadn't been cause for a win since the 60's or 70's. It was Austin's attitude and showmanship, combined with whoever he was hitting it on selling it that made it seem so powerful.
Unlike a move like HBK's Sweet chin music, Taker's Tombstone, or a powerbomb where the giver has to be careful to hold back or protect the receiver or it could cause real damage.
And many people dislike the Stunner and the over hyped way it was sold.
But as you said, opinions are like Aholes, and you certainly are an opinion.

There's only one answer to this. It's the stunner.

It came out of nowhere. No move got a larger pop from the crowd. All hell broke loose every time one was delivered. And no one was safe. You didn't need to set it up. Everyone sold it different too. McMahon just spasmed on the ground while Rock bounced across the ring. It was probably one of the most mimicked moves at the time as well.

Diamond Cutter, Sweet Chin Music, Tombstone, Spear/Gore are all good finishers, but nothing compares to the Stunner.

Ken Shamrock's Ankle Lock - He's the one who popularized this hold and to this day I must say his version of it has always looked the most painful.

I cant believe this move was only mentioned once

The best finisher for the 90's and probably ever is the Dooms Day device

The way the road warriors pulled it off just looked messed up.. it looked damaging as though a guy could not get up from that move.

Also as far as a techincal side of things it was right up there to..

Just amazing.

1. Stone Cold Stunner: As has been said, the finisher best identified with the top wrestler of the decade.

2. JackHammer: Goldberg was as over as Austin in the late 90s and his finisher looked like the most painfull, lethal suplex ever. JackHammering Hogan in The GA Dome to win the title was one of most iconic moments of the decade.

3. Diamond Cutter: There was more unpredictability in this move's use than the first two which enhanced it's appeal

4. Tombstone: No one could escape an Undertaker Tombstone, the set up was slow but that added to the appeal.

5. Torture Rack: He might not have gotten Yokozuna up there but Luger's finisher looked incredibly painfull, enhancing Luger's appeal as an almost super humanly strong beast. He did rack The Giant/Big Show and force Hogan to tap out to the move, pretty impressive. Other than Flair did anyone escape this move ?

6. Scorpion Death Lock: The cousin to The Figure Four always looked more painfull and harder to escape. Sting's version, usually set up by his Stinger Splash, looked a little better and harder to escape than Brett Hart's version, the identical SharpShooter, two iconic moves associated with two of the decade's most memorable stars.

7. The People's Elbow: More memorable set up than Rock's popular Rock Bottom, this move, though simplistic, was reminiscent of Hogan's leg drop in terms of popularity and recognition from fans.

8. Pedigree: High impact, fast finisher, looked like it would completely knock you senseless long enough to be pinned. Not as iconic as The Stunner and not quite as devastating looking as The JackHammer or Tombstone, but close.

9. Choke Slam: The Giant could execute this move on anyone at any time with a grip so powerfull it looked like he could break an opponents neck before he even lifted you up.

10. Sweet Chin Music. Another simple move but this one could either be set up like JackHammer or Scorpion or pulled out of nowhere like Diamond Cutter. HBK'S trademark move.

1. Stone Cold Stunner: As has been said, the finisher best identified with the top wrestler of the decade.

2. JackHammer: Goldberg was as over as Austin in the late 90s and his finisher looked like the most painfull, lethal suplex ever. JackHammering Hogan in The GA Dome to win the title was one of most iconic moments of the decade.

3. Diamond Cutter: There was more unpredictability in this move's use than the first two which enhanced it's appeal

4. Tombstone: No one could escape an Undertaker Tombstone, the set up was slow but that added to the appeal.

5. Torture Rack: He might not have gotten Yokozuna up there but Luger's finisher looked incredibly painfull, enhancing Luger's appeal as an almost super humanly strong beast. He did rack The Giant/Big Show and force Hogan to tap out to the move, pretty impressive. Other than Flair did anyone escape this move ?

6. Scorpion Death Lock: The cousin to The Figure Four always looked more painfull and harder to escape. Sting's version, usually set up by his Stinger Splash, looked a little better and harder to escape than Brett Hart's version, the identical SharpShooter, two iconic moves associated with two of the decade's most memorable stars.

7. The People's Elbow: More memorable set up than Rock's popular Rock Bottom, this move, though simplistic, was reminiscent of Hogan's leg drop in terms of popularity and recognition from fans.

8. Pedigree: High impact, fast finisher, looked like it would completely knock you senseless long enough to be pinned. Not as iconic as The Stunner and not quite as devastating looking as The JackHammer or Tombstone, but close.

9. Choke Slam: The Giant could execute this move on anyone at any time with a grip so powerfull it looked like he could break an opponents neck before he even lifted you up.

10. Sweet Chin Music. Another simple move but this one could either be set up like JackHammer or Scorpion or pulled out of nowhere like Diamond Cutter. HBK'S trademark move.

Scorpion death lock was a weak imitation of the shaprshooter. Sharpshooter looked much better and difficult to escape, as well as looking to cause much more pain. And it was usually set up by the Scorpion Death Drop, a stylized reverse ddt.

I would have to say the Stone Cold Stunner. I always thought it was the perfect move. He could it at any time, and had such an impact. The crowd would go nuts everytime it was hit. The Diamond cutter was the same way. It is a close second for me even though it is basically the same move. He would always hit it out of nowhere, and it fired the crowd up so much. Stone Cold's stunner just edges it out for me.

Some biggies in the 90's for me:

1- The Scorpion Deathlock/Sharpshooter/Reverse Figure Four (as called when Ronnie Garvin used it in 1990).
It's like the Boston Crab meeting the Figure Four. If done right, it can be made to look incredibly painful. Nowadays, Sting just kinda squats and gently holds the legs, but back in the early 90's it looked lethal.

2- The Power Bomb
Or some variation, therein, such as the Jackknife or Peal River Plunge. Probably the most over move in America, circa 1992. Usually used by a big dude, so it looked impressive to hoist some up, flip them, then slam them down.

3- Cobra Clutch/Million Dollar Dream
In here on a technicality, because I think the only high-profile guys who used it in the 90's were DiBiase and Slaughter (when a face). It's been around forever and one of my favorites because it actually hurts.

4- The Jackhammer
Not just a brainbuster suplex, but with a big powerslam mixed in. When I first saw it, my thought was: "whoa. Why hasn't anybody else thought of that"? Also helped that Goldberg did it so well with the way he would hit that whip into the slam.

5- Total Elimination
Wouldn't have mentioned if ya'll hadn't brought it up. I agree that it looks awesome.

-Not ranked, but I was one of those clowns who would mark out for The Claw. Loved it when Kerry Von Erich applied it on Mr. Perfect at SummerSlam 90. Didn't care for his usual WWF finisher of "The Discus Punch", though (which actually followed that Claw).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back