What If: Bret Hart's 20 year WWE contract

Discussion in 'Old School Wrestling' started by Charismatic Enigma, Apr 24, 2017.

1. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

I think it's completely baseless to say Bret would've refused to lose to someone else.....huh? I mean, where does that come from? Bret was a 5 time champion.....meaning he lost it 5 times. One was the screwjob, but he never had a problem putting anyone else over. That was an extraordinary situation. At least Bret was up front about it and didn't fake an injury like Shawn. Seems you guys who go hard at Bret always forget that part. Shawn hurt the product way more than Bret, with all his BS around that time period.

Suggesting Bret would've blocked Rock or Jericho's push is flat out ridiculous and baseless. Bret made Owen a star, made Austin legit, put Shawn over in the first place, put Yokozuna over, etc.

Edit: whoa! I made my post after reading halfway through your message. If I knew just how ridiculous the post would get, I wouldn't have bothered replying. Wow.

2. WWFan79

WWFan79 Dark Match Winner

I completely agree. It was Shawn that was the complete selfish prick. Funny thing is, now he says he misses old school wrestling and booking, acknowledging he had played a part in the new way. What a moron.

Bret was right all along. Instead of enjoying the drunken stupor high that was the AE, with its resultant hangover (this whole just talking in the ring nonsense still continues to this day) which largely 'ruined' wrestling, we might still be seeing old school booking that is really intriguing.

Also, Vince would not have gotten the Heat for Austin to skyrocket to stardom (his stunner moment on Vince changed the WWF to the whole controlling GM crap u still see today vs wrestlers driving the story line). DX would not have gotten as big. WCW would not have gone out of business in the way it did trying to copy the WWE's AE (another victim). Notice how they went away from the AE content? But kept the worse parts of it? It's bc shock value loses at the end. With Bret still in the WWF/E, they would not have been able to go for all that shock value which was a short-term survival tactic.

3. FromGlasgow

FromGlasgow Championship Contender

It would have been interesting as WCW really seemed to really mess up with him, I do believe he would have had a better ending to his full time career and as I think Bret was in on the Montreal Screwjob I could see it still happening and Bret going on to feud with the Mr Mcmahon character, Maybe retiring a couple of years later for an agent or trainer job and coming back for the occasional match against guys like The Rock, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar, Some on here mentioned Owen Hart wouldn't have happened but I don't agree as Owen was his own man with his own choices, Bret wasn't his keeper.

4. sikkbones

sikkbones the root of all evil

The blue blazer gimmick would not have been pulled out of mothballs had Bret stayed.

And Bret would have talked his brother out of doing the stunt.

The hart foundation gimmick had staying power.

5. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

This is out of the current topic, but what the hell are you talking about? The Attitude Era ended in 2001 and Vince had won the war. He was king of the world. If Vince had went to marketing to kids first chance it got, it would have happened in 2002, when Vince really had no more bussiness staying in the edgy programm. But he stayed there until 2008 and was forced to change the policy and his market because of Chris Benoit and his shareholders. 7 years after the AE ended. Not first chance he got. People forget that it's not the kids that are the problem. WWE has been losing viewers constatly for the past 15 years straight. They went PG in the last 9. They were still losing viewers before PG and the whole blood masks of the Ruthless Agression Era were just cringe-worthy and over the top.

6. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

If Bret stays the following things happen:

1) HBK leaves to WCW and joins the Kliq, where he probably ends up like Scott Hall.
    2) Tyson never does WM 14. Vince brought Tyson in with money he found after he got rid of Bret's heavy contract. During that time HBK would also have stayed around as well so probably, WM 14 becomes a big mess about who's going to main event. Add in there the fact that Owen broke Austin's neck and there could have been some hot drama between Bret-Austin-HBK.
    3) WWE goes into the Attitude Era, since they had already started going into that direction, but without the two Bing Bangs: The Montreal Screwjob and Mike Tyson. So WWE loses a lot of momentum.
    4) Owen probably never dies.
    5) The Kliq probably kills WCW from within. Imagine a company with Hogan, Kliq and Flair in it. Too much ego.
    6) WWF probably ends up winning the war, since in my eyes WCW was always gonna fall, but they never genereate the money they did and maybe WWF closes as well down the line.

7. GhettoV1

GhettoV1 Pre-Show Stalwart

And don't forget about the mid carders and Sting and Lex Luger to add to the Hogan, Flair and the nWo cliques in WCW. WCW would've closed a year earlier.

8. theHeadliner

theHeadliner Getting Noticed By Management

There are a few things left out...

First off, In early September Vince said he couldn't afford to pay Bret, but by late September at the MSG Raw Vince told Bret that money was no longer a problem, that he could pay him in full. Then Vince laid out his plans, he wanted Bret to job to Michaels at a series of PPV matches, and then Bret would finally go over for the title on RAW saying if he lost he would never wrestle in the USA again, only to put Austin over at Mania, because Bret vs Austin was still hot. Bret realized he was no longer going to be champion, and he took it very seriously, a claim that many put on Michaels.

Secondly, in late 1997 Vince was already discussing going public with the WWF and his advisors told him not to stick to any long-term financial commitments, one of them being the Hart contract. He paid Tyson all that money for a few appearances. It had nothing to do with money.

I used to think Shawn was a prick and Bret was completely right, but after reading and listening to Bruce Prichard and even hearing the Shawn interview with Vince Russo last year, I just think Bret didn't want to give up that spot to a guy that he felt wasn't the right guy, and Bret took everything just as seriously and just as to heart as he accused Michaels of being insecure, etc. He was just as paranoid as Shawn was. For whatever flaws Michaels had, Bret was just as guilty. He didn't want to play second fiddle to a guy he felt didn't respect him, but at the same time Michaels had his own points of view on the situation, and I'm sure Vince played them both off each other. Michaels jobbed to Hart numerous times through 1992-1993 including a PPV in 1992 before the PPV over-exposure, and he played 2nd fiddle to Hart up until WM12, and in Michael's mind it was Hart's turn to do the same. They both worked each other into shoots.

9. shalliin

shalliin Getting Noticed By Management

EVERY announcer, commentator, VIEWER of any event makes statements like those you complain about.
    It's a part of the event. If joe smith throws a strike instead of walking a batter, then jon jones is up with 2 out and 1 on and instead of a 3 run homer, hits a 2 run homer unless smith throws a different pitch and gets him out, thereby stopping the other team from scoring 5 runs in the inning and only giving up 2.
    It happens EVERY game in EVERY sport by EVERY one involved as a player, coach, announcer, and fan. It's so common there's a CLICHE term for it: Monday Morning Quarterback.
    it happens in non sports moments as well. In a situation you make a comment that then think to yourself, wait, should have said THIS instead. Why did i pick ?a moccacino instead of a latte?

10. shalliin

shalliin Getting Noticed By Management

If he stayed, I think Bret could have transitioned onscreen role into a manager as some of the greats in past did. take a bunch of their up and comers at the time and teach them real in ring work to go along with and support the smash mouth high flying things that were starting to come around. Have a rotating stable over the years supporting people like edge, orton, cena and the like and making their in ring work even better while pushing their psychology and personalities even higher.

11. relentless1

relentless1 G.O.A.T.

Honestly I think Bret would have taken the Vince McMahon spot as a commissioner that hated Austin because of the "Attitude" he represented; he was on record as being uncomfortable with the direction WWF was going in and so he would have made a perfect authority to go against Austin, DX et all.

Before that however he would've been the guy to drop the belt to Austin at WrestleMania 14 no question.

Actually Bret staying does a few things; no Mr MchMahon character, Owen wouldn't have dies because i bet Bret would have talked him out of that stunt. HBK probably dies of a drug OD at some point because he wouldn't have been champ and wouldnt have messed his back up in January 1998; WCW would've reigned for a lot longer in the ratings as there would be no Austin/ McMahon rivalry to springboard off of.... Bret was the nucleus that did a lot of good for the WWF the way it happened actually.

One great thing wed have gotten out of Bret staying is him vs Kurt Angle, now THAT would've been a good matchup.

12. thebarber

thebarber Mid-Card Championship Winner

Very hard to say. D we assume HBK still hurts his back and is gone for 4.5 years? If so Bret puts Austin over clean at Wrestlemania 14 and eats a Tyson KO punch.
    The Attitude era had begun though and Bret would have fought tooth and nail to not have it. So it is doubtful Bret lasts 20 years behind the scenes